November 5th, 2007

Paul's November 5 fundraising push

Rep. Ron Paul has surprised pundits and his rivals with his fundraising.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Presidential campaigns and supporters use all sorts of gimmicks to try and raise money, such as celebrating birthdays, winning a chance to dine with a candidate and marking November 5 as an anniversary.

Huh? November 5?

Supporters of Rep. Ron Paul’s presidential bid are using this date to help boost the Texas Republican’s campaign coffers, in what is being described as a massive grassroots on-line fundraising drive. The significance? Well, in English history a gentleman by the name of Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Houses of Parliament, which was the subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

One of the leaders behind the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. Paul’s presidential campaign said the idea did not come from the Texas congressman, but they are promoting the progress of this fundraising drive. As of late Monday afternoon, the Paul campaign claims it raised over $2.7 million, a figure that cannot be independently confirmed until Federal Election Commission reports are filed at the end of the year.

Paul, who is registering in the low single digits in most polls, raised $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's fundraising shocker

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. josh

Kick Big Brother to the curb.
    Ron Paul 2008!

November 5, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  2. Steven, Denver, CO

Gimmick? This article is nothing but a cleverly disguised hit piece.

November 5, 2007 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Darryl Schmitz, St. Johns MI

I sure would like to see one of the major networks do an in-depth analysis of the major polling organizations' sampling techniques. It seems pretty obvious that so many people have discontinued their land line phone service in lieu of cell phones that the only answers the polling organizations will get are at "likely voters" phone numbers dialed would be those who are relatively set in their ways (don't want to give up the land line phone) and are naturally going to vote for the same old slick, big government politicians.

November 5, 2007 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Derek, Grand Rapids, MI

The only candidate in the election with the integrity to stick to his values of restoring the constitution and liberty for all. CNN should be ashamed for burying this in the ticker at the end of the day when other media outlets have typed three page stories. The Ron Paul revolution is in full force.

November 5, 2007 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  5. Lucas, Lansing, MI

Dr. Paul cured my apathy. First time presidential donor here.

November 5, 2007 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  6. Mark, Cashton, WI

Nice photo CNN...you couldn't have found a more opposite photo to capture Dr. Paul's calm and measured demeanor...no wonder the neo-cons make fun of the mainstream media.

November 5, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  7. Steve M, Cape Girardeau, MO

Wow. CNN is actually running more than a sentence about Dr. Paul. Nice to see that the illusion of balanced coverage is being upheld.

Good job Paul supporters. It's great to see Americans still passionate about politics and actually doing something about it.

November 5, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. Dillon, Bismarck, ND

Ron Paul is the only one that cares. I'm 15, but I donated $5, and I only have $10 in my wallet right now. That was $5 for America and I have no regrets!

The money bomb has him up to over $6.4 million as of 7:54 central time. That's 5 weeks into the quarter! He has almost 3.7 million dollars raised in 1 day by 30,000 donations. Ron Paul spambots my foot.

November 5, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Brian - Tempe, AZ

I'm 24. I've never gotten involved in any type of political campaign before, and I gladly gave my contribution to Dr. Paul's campaign this morning.

It's my generation that will pay the price for our nation's current fiscal and foreign policy. Apparently I'm not alone in my refusal to accept that legacy.

November 5, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  10. Jay, Uniontown PA

What's with the negativity?

Come on CNN. Calling this a gimmick and putting strong emphasis on the "claim" from Ron Paul that he has raised this much is a bit ridiculous.

Remember, remember.

November 5, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Zero comments?

November 5, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. Gabriel, Orlando FL

I donated my $100 today, and couldn't feel happier in doing so. For once I am enthusiastic and engaged in a political process which in my opinion, has been an utter disappointment for far too long.

November 5, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  13. Tiffany, Oklahoma City, OK

Ron Paul is said to be the Thomas Jefferson of our time, but yet you cover the November 5th donations as if it were a frivolous unimportant event. You don't want to mention the fact that thousands and thousands of people have come together to support his message of freedom on this single day in record breaking history. Obviously there are people who want different in this country. You don't mention that. Instead your fair and balanced reporting of the news wants to remind everybody of the date we chose to have the fundraising drive. Sounds real balanced.

November 5, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  14. Aaron Kinney, Sherman Oaks CA

Today, I donated to Ron Paul's campaign. This was my first time ever donating to a political campaign of any kind.

Ron Paul cured my apathy, and today I got to help make history: As of this writing, 5:58pm PST, over $3.2 million was raised. This sets a new record for single day donations in the primaries.

This isn't spam support. This is real support for a top-tier candidate. And the support is still growing.

November 5, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  15. Matthew, Charlotte Court House, VA

The total is over 3.2 million at 9 p.m. eastern. There are still several hours to go and he has already broken Romney's one-day haul of 3.1 mil. The support is real, the revolution is real. It seems that many Americans want their freedom back!

November 5, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  16. harry, indianapolis, indiana

i was amazed to see Ron Paul raising 225,000 an hour at one point today if only more people knew about him this country would have someone great to look forward to in the future presidency. GO RON PAUL

November 5, 2007 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  17. Damien,Belpre,OHIO

Yes! Go Ron Paul

youtube.com/damienspeaks

Ron Paul 2008 legalize the constitution

November 5, 2007 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  18. Garrett Babb Indianapolis, IN

whoa, make that 3.5 million with 3 hours to go (7 if you're on the west coast). I've been trying to tell you guys he's for real.

November 5, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  19. TC Minneapolis MN

GO RON!

November 5, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  20. Jeff, Portland, OR

He gets this money because his message is valid. I will gladly support a candidate who has offered to give freedoms back, rather than take them away. It is also good to know that he does what he says, as can be seen from his voting record. I encourage everyone to research Dr. Paul, because he's not running for president to gain power. Ron Paul is running for president because he wants to change the direction in which this country is headed.

For more information: http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/

November 5, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  21. Jonathan Hammond, Englewood, CO

This is not just a claim, but a reality. Check under youtube or google video for the number of independently made videos designating november 5th as the date this would happen. Or go to Thisnovember5th.com.....

Ron Paul rEVOLution!!!!

November 5, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. Ethan, Los Angeles, CA

It took three CNN writers to write that story? You guys don't know the half of it.

November 5, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  23. Jeremy Davis, Pittsburgh PA

"Cannot be independenly confirmed"? I havent seen you guys talk about all the other candidates like this.. whats wrong? You pissy because the candidates you keep shoving into peoples faces on TV isnt working? HELLO.... you are journalists.. you are to be OJBECTIVE and just give us information. I dont care about your personal views or who YOU want to be president. Grow up, many others and myself see right through the mainstream media control and propaganda, i suggest you get back to what your duties are supposed to be. See folks this is what happens when a handful of billion dollar corporations owns the media outlets.. heck look at Clear Channel not playing any of Bruce Springstings new songs because its critical of this administration. WAKE UP.....

November 5, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  24. Scott, Seattle, WA

Ron paul claims? Are you kidding me? Come on, please use some fair language here CNN. I love the political ticker, but this is not cool

November 5, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  25. Helena, winter springs, fl

Dr. Ron Paul unites ALL. Old, young, white, black, republican, democrat, independant, libertarian, etc, etc...

He is the ONLY candidate I will vote for.
    I am 43 single white female registered independant, but previously voted democrat.

The Ron Paul Revolution has raised OVER 3.2 MILLION in ONE DAY and its currently 9:00 pm et on nov 5th. With 3 hours to go on the east coast!

Vote Dr. Ron Paul 2008!