November 5th, 2007

Paul's November 5 fundraising push

Rep. Ron Paul has surprised pundits and his rivals with his fundraising.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Presidential campaigns and supporters use all sorts of gimmicks to try and raise money, such as celebrating birthdays, winning a chance to dine with a candidate and marking November 5 as an anniversary.

Huh? November 5?

Supporters of Rep. Ron Paul’s presidential bid are using this date to help boost the Texas Republican’s campaign coffers, in what is being described as a massive grassroots on-line fundraising drive. The significance? Well, in English history a gentleman by the name of Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Houses of Parliament, which was the subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

One of the leaders behind the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. Paul’s presidential campaign said the idea did not come from the Texas congressman, but they are promoting the progress of this fundraising drive. As of late Monday afternoon, the Paul campaign claims it raised over $2.7 million, a figure that cannot be independently confirmed until Federal Election Commission reports are filed at the end of the year.

Related video: Ron Paul's fundraising shocker

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Ashley, Saint Petersburg, FL

GO RON PAUL :D!!!!

November 5, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  2. Shawn Puyallup, WA

Why does cnn lie. He has done better than any of the other republicans on the polls but the various news outlets seem to make his numbers disapear from their websites. So much for a non biased media. We know the neocons run all of them.

November 5, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  3. John D., San Francisco, CA

I will remember this November 5th as a magnificent day. Ron Paul, as of 9:30PM EST has raised $3.78 million in one day contributions from over 30,000 supporters.

Ron Paul is #1 in the straw polls and all internet polls. He will soon be #1 in votes as well, but he will never be #1 in the manipulated telephone polls.

I believe 30,000 people gave money for freedom, liberty, peace and prosperity. The Ron Paul R[EVOL]UTION is NOW!

November 5, 2007 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. Donald, Stratford, California

The sarcasm in the tone of this article is offending. Please, oh please, stop the nonsense CNN.

"Paul, who is registering in the low single digits in most polls, raised $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period."

Really? Which polls? It seems to me that the polls that matter the most, the straw polls, he's been doing VERY well in. 1st place with 37.7% vote in Tacoma, WA. 1st place with 77.3% in Springfield, MO. 3rd place with 15.0% in Washington D.C. 1st place with 33.0% in Reno, Nevada. 1st place with 57.8% in Jefferson County, Alabama. 1st place with 41.5% in Tulsa State Fair, Oklahoma... should I continue? Because I promise you this list goes on.

November 5, 2007 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  5. Nick, OR

Looks like Ron Paul "spammed" the bank. Him and his army of cell phones...

Here's an "i-Report" for you: This morning, I dipped in to my GF's birthday present fund for my $20 donation.

Buyers remorse was the last thing I felt. Far from it. I took part in saving America and it only cost me $20(increasingly worthless – invest it now in your future spending power) admission.

The only remorse I felt was that I wasn't playing a bigger part.

Today: I put my gas money in the bank instead of in my car and sure enough, I had to walk home to get a gas can. But now: I have another $20 to donate to Ron Paul.

My only regret is that I could only afford $40 dollars to give for my country.

Ron Paul believers who felt like they couldn't afford it:
    Can you afford another 8 years of failing economic policy and job market? INVEST in Ron Paul. He will return you charity 10 fold through at least maintaining/at best improving the spending power of your wages. Ron Paul can promise you this and return. Something no president has been able to do for decades. You won't regret it.

Would-be supporters who are afraid to support him because CNN told you he can't win:
    It's the primaries! Don't let general election thinking to corrupt your ability to vote for who you like and believe in!

November 5, 2007 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  6. Ed Acker

The 5th of November, yes – John Lennon sang about it in his song 'Remember'. A Revolution call. In this case, the single largest one day Internet contribution by REAL people like me. Go look at the home page of RonPauls website, you see the names of contributers streaming by nonstop, and the money keeps pouring in. Now you must take notice of Ron Paul!

November 5, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  7. MB, Vancouver, WA

Try $4 million!!!!!!!!Freedom is popular!

November 5, 2007 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  8. Brandon, Mansfield, OH

You have less than 6 hours (Pacific Time) to be a part of the biggest day ever for Ron Paul. Donate now to change your Gov't & Change your life.

November 5, 2007 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  9. Ramki , Chicago ,IL

The most ridiculously biased article."gimmicks,cannot be independently confirmed"..Wow..Fox News seems like the paragon of journalism after this hack job.At least one doesn't expect journalism from Hannity.

November 5, 2007 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. Adam, Olathe, KS

Nice biased article! $2.7 million cannot be independently verified? Try contacting some of the people whose names appeared on Ron Paul's site and ask them if they donated. There's your confirmation and my confirmation that you care little about real investigative journalism and more about marginalizing Ron Paul.

November 5, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. PoliticalTicker@gmail.com

"Rep. Ron Paul has surprised pundits and his rivals with his fundraising."

Most surprised was the GOP who forgot he was still running for President!

November 5, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  12. Dave Henning, Chandler, AZ

It looks like Dr. Paul will bring in $3.5-$4 million on a single day. The fact that this was completely started online is amazing.

For every dollar that the Paul campaign spends, it is likely that their volunteers are spending two or three dollars of their own money on making signs or other promotional materials. We are witnessing a unique event in presidential campaign history made possible by the 'net.

Thank you to CNN for coming around and giving Dr. Paul some attention.

November 5, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  13. Austin, Warsaw, IN

It is absolutely wonderful to see people coming together to donate to Ron Paul, the only true conservative in the race. He is the only candidate that will take his oath to uphold the U.S. Constitution seriously.

Vote Ron Paul in 2008 and donate today!

November 5, 2007 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  14. Paul, New Orleans, LA

Finally, Ron Paul and the people shall be heard. I am tired of my tax money being wasted on frivolous things. The federal govt is way too big these days and the power should be put back in the states where the people can more effectively govern their local areas. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of paying federal income tax! Can I get Amen on not pay taxes to the federal govt?! Anyone?

November 5, 2007 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  15. Joe, Dallas, TX

God Bless Ron Paul.

November 5, 2007 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  16. DT, Comstock Park, MI

Paul, who is registering in the low single digits in most polls.

It might help if more polls included dark horse candidates, and gave them fair coverage.

For every comment CNN makes about Ron Paul, I see triple that about Obama, Clinton, Giuliani, and Edwards. It appears CNN thinks we should only be interested in the frontrunners; or perhaps it is that they are interested in creating the frontrunners themselves?

I'd love to see more about Ron Paul, Gov. Richardson, Mike Huckabee, and Tom Tancredo, people who I actually feel might make far better candidates than the stuffed-shirt "frontrunners" who seem to be more interested in what their party and their supporting special interests think than in governing by the will of the people. But then again, that would take away from CNN's attempting to make news, rather than just reporting it.

November 5, 2007 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  17. Michael Phillips, Connecticut

It looks like he raised as much as $6.5 million... wow!

November 5, 2007 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  18. David L McNulty Cohasset, MA

By the end of the 24-hour fundraising period, Dr. Paul will have raised about 4 Million dollars. Go Ron Paul!

November 5, 2007 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  19. Burger, Reseda, CA

Thank you CNN for covering this. Was not expecting to see this in the MSM so quickly. Quite refreshing to say the least!

Go Ron!

November 5, 2007 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  20. Mike, Everytown, MI

"Claims" to have raised....?

Allegedly? Cannot be confirmed until the end of the year....

You wouldn't be using those kinds of words if it was Hillary....or Osama....

Face the facts......Dr. Paul will be your next President....and I will be pointing and laughing at CNN when that happens.

November 5, 2007 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  21. Baba Padmanabhan, Chicago, IL

Yeah, it's more like 3.5 Mil. RON PAUL 2008

November 5, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. JohnB,boston,ma

Do not fear CNN, if Rudy raised it you know it would be confirmed, all you really have to do is call the campaign or locate any names that appear transparently on the site and ask the donor? Nah, play games some more, its helping, thanks. Ask Huckabee if his numbers are real?

November 5, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  23. Mary Winchester, VA

When I drive around my community I see more Ron Paul bumper stickers than any other presidential candidate, this gives me hope.

I will not vote the first woman, African American, Latin American, etc into office unless they are politically sound and represent America as a whole. I am glad Ron Paul is able to do this.

It disappoints me your lack of equal coverage on Ron Paul. He is a long shot in your eyes, but America has always loved the long shot. I think he will surprise you in the end.

November 5, 2007 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  24. john q

So will CNN consider him top-tier now?
    He demolishes the online polls, has won umpteen number of straw polls,
    raised as much as Mccain did last quarter, and over 3.5 million in one day..... (better than any other republican candidate)

I'd like to see some equal coverage...
    If not I'm done with CNN

November 5, 2007 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  25. Daniel Graham, Avon, In

Please go and look again, the numbers are a lot bigger than 2.7 million. I just donated, and the total was over $6,540,000.00

http://www.ronpaul2008.com should show you.

Dan Graham