November 5th, 2007

Republicans in early states change parties to support Obama

Sen. Obama participated in the annual Steak Fry hosted by Iowa Senator Tom Harkin.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama’s, D-Illinois, presidential campaign announced today that more than 300 former Republican voters from New Hampshire and Iowa are switching their party affiliation to actively support Obama, D-Illinois, in those crucial first two contests.

“I’ve been a Republican all my life, but the challenges we face are too great to choose a candidate based on his party—we need to the choose the candidate who can bring fundamental change to Washington and start getting things done again,” Jerry Spivak said. “Barack Obama is the only candidate who will be able to break the partisan logjam and inspire Americans to come together around real solutions.”

Obama's campaign sent out a list of 268 Iowa Republicans and 68 New Hampshire Republicans who changed their party registration and promised to vote for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • New Hampshire
  1. Bob, Seattle, WA

The real story is how many registered democrats are going to vote for Mike Huckabee.

November 5, 2007 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. Liberal Chic

Hey, y'all. I've got my own version of anyone-but-Hillary. If by some chance Obama becomes the nominee, I do believe I will vote for Giuliani. I could vote for Edwards if not Clinton, but I don't think that chance will come. Giuliani is a nasty person, but is left on most social issues and at least he's been around.

Obama is just a johnny-come-lately. I think it would be a huge, giant mistake to let someone with so little experience (and apparent ego) run the country. Just look at how the current Bush has done. If anyone is a Bush-Cheney-Lite, it's Obama as is evident by the supposed support of Republican constituents.

I wonder if anyone else would support Giuliani instead of Obama.

November 5, 2007 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  3. Coach Haughton NH

If hillary wins, I wonder how many democrats will vote republican

November 5, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  4. CAROLE ALLENDALE NEW JERSEY

i hope everyone sees the real person in obama .. a man that can unite this country not divide.. it has been a long time coming but i see that people are starting to finally see hillary for the person she really is.. her days of deciving and calculating and conniving are coming to a halt.. we need a leader now.. that can unite the world.. hillary has an agenda to get back at all the republicans and people that imeached her husband.. and almost cost her the ability to run for a senate seat(a junior senate seat) somethng everyone seems to have forgotten.. run obama run...!!!!!

November 5, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  5. BUTCH OPSEY RAEFORD,N.C. 28376

OBAMA DOESN'T EVEN SUPPORT THE PLEDGE OF ALLIGENCE. WHAT WILL THIS NUT DO IF HE WOULD WIN. THIS OLE WORLD IS IN SOME DEEP DODO

November 5, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  6. Sarah, Columbus, OH

Dear David, from Los Angelos:
    I just want to tell you that it was due to a post very similar to yours that I read a few months ago, that I decided I would definitely NOT be voting to Hillary Clinton.

The blogger wrote about how it was "our turn" and since we have a chance at winning back the WH, why on earth would we want to elect someone who Republicans can actually get along with. I AM extremely upset about the direction our country has taken in the last few years, and very concerned about the future. But, I don't think that all this fighting back and forth between the parties is what our country needs. We need to change politics, to work together.

November 5, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  7. C. Meyer, Covington, KY

A vote for Obama is a vote for Islam and everything anti-US. THis is a man who won't cover his heart during the national anthem, refuses to block Social Security to illegals, and has absolutely ZERO experience that would qualify him to be president. If 300 Republicans changed parties, so what? He's got a lot bigger problems....

November 5, 2007 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  8. Adam, Pittsburgh

I know so many reasonable Republicans who want him to win so they can vote for him. Most of them are former McCain supporters, which kind of freaks me out, but I like the idea of a president winning with more than 51% of the country behind him/her. It's nothing to be afraid of – rather, it's something to embrace.

November 5, 2007 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. PM Oldsmar,FL

For you Obama supporters, can you list for us doubters tangible accomplishments for this man that have prepared hiom for the presidency? Other than give a lot of warmy, fuzzy stump speeches, I DO NOT see where he is qualified to lead this nation. Please no slamming of other candidates or our curernt President, just his qualifications and accomplishements.

November 5, 2007 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  10. Dave M. Pa. conservative

Let’s examine a few facts about Obama, first as a person and then on his positions on the issues. When I’m done, it will be clear why Obama is one of the worst candidates for president. First of all, as a supposed champion of the poor, Obama and his wife give little to charity. In 2005, he and his wife made $1.67 million in income and only gave $77,315 to charity for a rate of less than 5%. Contrast this to George and Laura Bush who consistently give over 10% of their income to charity.
    Second, he and his wife are ardent supporters of the hideous medical procedure of partial birth abortion, aka infanticide. This gruesome act involves, well, you better find out for yourself, it’s too disgusting for me to detail. In fact, Michelle Obama sent out a fund raising letter in February 2004, saying it was a “legitimate medical procedure”. That is a shocking statement indeed.

Third, despite Barack’s criticism of our current healthcare system, he and his wife cash in on it handsomely. She is a hospital administrator who made the princely sum of $312,962 in 2005. And her background is in law, not hospital management. When the progressives complain about the problems of the current health care system, they usually mention exorbitant executive salaries. Well, they now only have to look in their own back yard for one of the sources of the problem.
    BTW, here’s the link for evidence of my claims.

November 5, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  11. Markie Bee

Obama has always been about inclusion. No matter what we Democrats think, the Republicans aren't going away. There will still be plenty of them in congress and to be able to reach across the aisle to affect change is perhaps Obama's greatest attribute as a politician. Hillary can't say that. As one respondere said, she is automatically leary of a Dem appealing to a Republican...what nonsense. The vast majority of Americans are in the center politically – as is Obama. Obama will help stop the pendulum swinging so far to the right in governing (as it does now) but, as importantly, he'll stop it from swinging too far to the left. As he said in 2004, "We are not a collection of red states and blue states. We are the United States."

08ama08!

November 5, 2007 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  12. Dave M. Philadelphia, Pa.

Obama’s positions on the issues are startling. Here’s a CBS news article listing his votes in the past.

Some highlights…”He voted against requiring medical care for aborted fetuses who survive.”

Wow! I guess he wants universal healthcare for children but just not very young children.

“Voted against letting people argue self-defense in court if charged with violating local weapons bans by using a gun in their home. (2004)”

This would be for using a gun to defend against intruders. That’s a stunning position for Obama to take.

“Obama occasionally supported higher taxes, joining other Democrats in pushing to raise more than 300 taxes and fees on businesses in 2004 to help solve a budget deficit. The increases passed the Senate 30-28. ”

That’s a sure way to kill job creation. Instead of cutting spending, he votes to raise taxes on struggling job-creating entrepreneurs to fix the deficit.

“Helped pass a 5 percent earned-income tax credit for low-income working families in 2000; made the credit permanent in 2003.”

Made that permanent but wouldn’t vote to make this next one permanent…

“Voted against making permanent the repeal of the state’s 5 percent sales tax on gasoline. (2000)”

“Successfully sponsored the Health Care Justice Act, a study of ways to implement a universal health care system statewide. (2004)”

Never mind that socialized health care systems in Canada and England are failing and going private, despite what Michael Moore says. Government health care as in Walter Reed Army hospital type healthcare? No thanks!

“Voted against restrictions on public funding of abortion. (2000) ”

So we the people have to pay for an abortion of a wild, partying teenager or a welfare queen mother? Where’s the so called “Obama unity” in that?

“Voted against making gang members eligible for the death penalty if they kill someone to help their gang. (2001)”

Oh my! That should really help to quash gang violence.

” Unsuccessfully co-sponsored ban on discrimination based on sexual orientation. The measure became law after Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate. (2003)”

But Obama thinks that dicriminating on race is still OK via affirmative action. The two positions don’t jive.

“Voted against giving tax credits to parents who send their children to private school. (1999)”

Obama is just another liberal who thinks that abortion should be a choice but school choice is not to be a choice. The bleeding heart of liberals sure is selective, isn’t it?

November 5, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  13. Rob D, Redmond WA

Republicans won't switch to vote for Hillary, because they have Giuliani supporting all of the same positions.

Good luck to Obama, but at some point people will have to take the lack of experience seriously.

November 5, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  14. Clinton, MS

Count me in! I'm a long-time Republican who will vote for Obama. The Republicans (that I supported)squandered their time in power, and Hillary will do nothing to unite the country. She is very smart, but she has so much baggage and isn't very trustworthy. I'll roll the dice with a new guy with vision and hope.

November 5, 2007 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  15. Josh Pedaline, Columbus Ohio

I am an Ohio Republican an I am supporting Barack Obama. I have not decided if I am going to change my party affiliation to vote for Mr. Obama in the Primary yet, but the thought has crossed my mind. It's good to see that there are others just like me.

Josh Pedaline

November 5, 2007 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  16. Bill , Covington,LA

It pleases me that people like Jerry Spivak would leave the party for a Barack Obama. And when the time comes that Obamha is Not the demo nominee,and that time will come, I would hope we do not wish to have them return to the Republican party, we don't need those types.

November 5, 2007 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  17. KB, voting for Obama

Amen! I am one of them!!

November 5, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  18. Jen, Gainesville, FL

This is only the beginning. My husband, who has voted for Republicans all his life so far, told me that he will vote for Obama if Obama is the Democratic party nominee, but will still vote for the Republican nominee if Hillary is chosen.

November 5, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  19. Dave M. Philadelphia, Pa.

Pam in long beach said.."As an independent in California…I say, ANYONE but a republican! This administration has ensured that I will NEVER and I mean NEVER vote for another republican. ""

Funny, I say the same thing about Democrats. One Democrat president actually locked up and imprisoned a whole lot of ethnic US citizens against their will, Can you believe it? I'm shocked. (FDR and the Japanese Americans).

And another Democrat President actually dropped not one, but TWO nuclear bombs on innocent civilians. Can you imagine? What a horror! After I learned these facts, I vowed never to vote for a Democrat again.

November 5, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  20. Stop the Bush/Clinton Dynasty

I'm certified by my local Board of Elections to register people to vote.

This story is just the tip of the iceberg for Senator Obama. Republicans are unhappy with their own pool of candidates and are switching parties in support of Senator Obama. They say they are doing so because they know he will hear their voice too.

If you would like to switch your party affiliation in order to vote for Senator Obama, contact your local Board of Elections. You just need to fill out a new voter registration card, identifying the party change. Some States require it be done 6 weeks in advance of the primary election.

Since rules vary by State, it is best to check with your local Board of Elections.

After the primary, you can switch back to Republican or Unaffiliated, if you wish, and vote in the general election.

November 5, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  21. william, oklahoma city, ok

Obviously these people weren't even Republicans to begin with if they are going to vote for a anti-gun, pro-choice, pro socialized medicine program, anti-american globalist who's also pro-illegal aliens. Good riddance to fake Republicans. I'd rather them get out now than screw up our primary elections voting for Rudy.

November 5, 2007 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  22. Hawk,Texas

Sounds like there are a lot of obamas people trying to say they were republicans. what i do not like about him is that he said he would run a clean campagn.what does he do? starts slinging mud at the democrats. he asked hillary to release her papers when he wont release his. at least hillary votes on the issues. obama has missed 80 percent of the votes. then he trys to blame hillary for voting.wake up people obama is a charlatin.hillary can bring this country together.obama was even dowing bill clinton the best president this country has had since rosevelt. with the bunch of nuts running things now i do not see how anyone could even consider a republican.i have been around for a while. 69 years and am a disabled veteran. wake up america. we are in peril.

November 5, 2007 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  23. CAREN

Did you know that at least three of the Neo-Cons who were part of the group leading the charge for us to go to war in Iraq are on Obama's Foreign Affairs Advisory commitee? Yep, kool-aid drinkers Mr. Hypocrite who villifies Hillary has Neo-Cons (can you get more right wing) advising him. Also the man who sold the world on WMDs (Colin Powell) is also one of his advisors. You guys need to detox, Obama is using you & your hatred of Hillary is blinding you.

November 5, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  24. Cynda, Middletown, CT

There have been numerous reports of republican women crossing over to vote for Hillary. Not sure if they are any more true/newsworthy than this. I suppose we'll see...

November 5, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  25. Candice, FL

I could personally give the names of 20 or so IND and DEM voters that I know who have changed their affiliation to REP to vote for Ron Paul in my state because of the closed primary. I would venture to say the number of converts is positively huge, way higher than these numbers for Obama.

November 5, 2007 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |