November 5th, 2007

Republicans in early states change parties to support Obama

Sen. Obama participated in the annual Steak Fry hosted by Iowa Senator Tom Harkin.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama’s, D-Illinois, presidential campaign announced today that more than 300 former Republican voters from New Hampshire and Iowa are switching their party affiliation to actively support Obama, D-Illinois, in those crucial first two contests.

“I’ve been a Republican all my life, but the challenges we face are too great to choose a candidate based on his party—we need to the choose the candidate who can bring fundamental change to Washington and start getting things done again,” Jerry Spivak said. “Barack Obama is the only candidate who will be able to break the partisan logjam and inspire Americans to come together around real solutions.”

Obama's campaign sent out a list of 268 Iowa Republicans and 68 New Hampshire Republicans who changed their party registration and promised to vote for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • New Hampshire
  1. DP, Mountain View, CA

First, it'll be easy to say that someone used to vote for Republicans as easy as for me to say that I used to vote for Democrats but now change my mind to vote for Republicans. Who will know if this true or not? No one!

Second, what's the deal with just 300 voters among 57 millions people who voted for Bush in 2004 election? Nothing! It's just 0.000005%!

Third, I just want to remind all the Democrats voters to be careful about illegal immigrant and muslim issues. The more you are too nice to illegal immigrants, the more will they take everything from you including your money and treasures. Same thing applies to muslim world. The more we give them the more will they ask for everything including your head.

November 5, 2007 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  2. slc

Obama should become a Republican, he is acting just like them.

Go Hillary!

November 5, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  3. Ben, Columbus, OH

I am an African American and I really wish Obama (and Edwards) would get out of the "WAY". These "in the way t.....s " just might make the Democrats loose the White House, again. Why any Democrat Presidential candidate would divide the Democrats this time around, I just can't understand? Tell Barack to stay off of SNL and run a better campaign.

November 5, 2007 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  4. Tom, Chicago, IL

I am no prophet, but I predicted something exactly like this would happen! I told everyone that if the Republicans do not nominate Ron Paul, then the Democrats will win! So if you do not support Ron Paul, your only chance to stop Hilary would be to register Democratic and vote for Obama (or some other top tier Democrat). A vote for any Republican other than Dr. Paul is a vote for Hilary. Seeing that, GOP people who aren't backing Paul are trying to prevent Hilarity Clinton from getting the nomination.

November 5, 2007 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  5. Fair,Washington, DC

I'm not questioning anyones choice of who they cast their vote for but I'm voting for Hillary in the primary and whoever gets the Dem nod in the general election. Thats where my concern lies...if you wanna believe these Dems that say anybody but Hillary it seems they don't know how to support the Dem candidate that they think is best without tearing down a fellow dem who might actually get the nod. I'm not voting for the other Dems in the primary but you can bet I will vote for whoever is the democratic candidate in the general election. So anybody but Hillary, does that mean you vote Republican or don't vote at all...just curious.

November 5, 2007 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  6. Chris, Cambridge, MA

I've been a Democrat all my life, but I'm switching to Republican because I believe strongly that only Ron Paul can save this country from economic disaster. There are hundreds like me - Why doesn't that make the CNN Ticker?

November 5, 2007 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. Gayle, Ozark, Arkansas

I saw a picture of Obama, Hilary and Romney standing in front of a United States flag where they were saying The Pledge of Allegiance. All had thier hands over their hearts except Obama and he refused to say the pledge. Do we really want someone like him to be our president? I don't think so!

November 5, 2007 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  8. E. Moore, Georgetown Texas

People so biased towards Hillary. I can see why, most people believe she isn't fit for presidency. But let's see YOU go and start a campaign and still come out with a smile. I'm all for Obama but don't hate her, at least she is trying.

November 5, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  9. Rose Hann New London CT

Obama's numbers seem to poject the intellegence of the voting public. His ack of experience stifles any chance to win the nomination. He was dubbed "The rising star" of the Democratic party when he won his seat to the US Senate, but he's hardly had Senate experience. He's missed more votes then all the contenders. I would be frightened to have him as president. His time will come, just not now.

November 5, 2007 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. Mark, Minneapolis, MN

Be careful fellow Democrats! They might be trying to interfere in order to nominate the candidate they perceive as easiest to beat.

November 5, 2007 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  11. Dora, Michigan

As a woman who voted for Goldwater many years ago, I like what I hear about Barack Obama. Many of my neighbors and friends think that he can bring this country together and get some things done. It would be nice to have a woman as our president, but I just can't believe how she evades questions, which makes me wonder if she is telling us the truth. That really bothers me. Mr. Obama has character and honesty, that I think is more important than having a woman, just because she is a woman, in the White House. God knows, we have so many problems, but not enough good people to move our country forward. I think that Obama will make a great president.

November 5, 2007 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  12. Rose Hann New London, CT

Second time I am posting a comment. Though Obama gained a little traction listening to pundants who say "he has to attack Clinton' if he wants to get ahead. This display is a temporary fix for a long term problem. Hillary stays above the frey and thats whats gotten her where she is-The Front Runner. I have no doubt she will get the nomination and she will get it without being nasty. We'll leave the nasty to Edwards. His ego is terribly brused. It brought out the ugly on the guy with the $425.00 hair cuts. He lied about how many he had. Two Americas he says. He's right, the one he lives in, and the one the rest of us lives in. He's clueless.

November 5, 2007 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  13. Michael, Los Angeles

Of course NH republicans will vote for Obama in the primaries-they want to keep the white house and know he can never win the general election. As far as bringing the country together, it won't happen, just more of Obama's naivety that has now become rhetoric.

November 5, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  14. Heydn, Nashville, TN

He obviously appeals to Republicans for the same exact reason Kerry had appeal in 2004. Kerry was simply not Bush and Obama is not Clinton. We all know how much Republicans hate Hillary Clinton.

November 5, 2007 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  15. Chaliburto Chicago IL

and the Texas Rangers won the World Series

November 5, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  16. Jeff Edwards, New Orleans, LA

Republicans for Obama? I guess the Grand Old Party of homophobes found someone in Obama who proved recently that he actually would represent them best. I'm shocked.

November 5, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  17. DJ, Los Angeles, CA

This is very encouraging news and a telltale sign just how appealing Obama is to conservative voters.

Obama has experience focusing on bridging the gap between conservative and liberal voters and to get past all the tired rhethoric.

Hillary is hated by most Republican voters and she will probably not win any Red states that voted for Bush in the last election.

November 5, 2007 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  18. George Fendham, Yorktown, VA

It's not just those 300 people. My entire family, who religiously votes Republican, are supporting Obama's campaign with donations. He is inspiring, we all love his message, and I am certain Iowa will be his trophy.

November 5, 2007 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  19. Michale Chicago IL

Why don't you say, the Dumb Republicans, and drop the 'early states part?

November 5, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  20. jo, ATL GA

You are kidding me right? This is the low of the low.

Obama you think they will vote for you? My God he is really naive? 300 votes?

November 5, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  21. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I don't trust Republicans and Obama supporters, they just raise a disturbance,let Obama nominate and destroy Hillary, because Republican can beat Obama easily in General election but no way to beat Hillary, that's why they want Obama wins in Primary. Obama supporters are very low like Obama, they pretend as Republican and shake voter's mind. Obama supporters are wobblers. Those Republicans will vote GOP in General Election, they have no chance to win White House so they play dirty trick already. I don't trust Republicans and Obama supporters.

November 5, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. A. Thomas, New York, NY

Hey Obama, don't trust these repub people supporting you now. In the unlikely happening that you get nominated by the dems (you won't), these people will give you up and vote for their republican nominee in the general election!

Reason? YOu are simply un-electable. You can be easily defeated by the repub nominee, while Hillary can't!

November 5, 2007 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  23. itstrue chicago,ill

I doubt if its true.im so glad hilary keeps her stance.

Someone needs to unmask Obama for the nickel/dime charlatan he is.. Someone needs to find those tenants he let freeze over that cold Chicago winter. Have them testify to his ignoring their cries for help..while he filled his pockets with Rezko money for financing his campaign.

November 5, 2007 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  24. Micheker Chicago IL

WOW ! WOW ! WOW ! 300 Voters, that is Absolutely Amazing. At 99 cents a vote ? I see Obama and Edwards been plotting strategy. I like those high numbers. Should do it. Good job there Bama.

November 5, 2007 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  25. Robert, Shelton, CT

I don't think he can stop the war chest and steam roller of Clinton's campaign...a few people switching parties doesn't mean they'll vote for you in the general, it just means they want to keep Clinton off the ballot; which will fail.

November 5, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |