November 5th, 2007

Republicans in early states change parties to support Obama

Sen. Obama participated in the annual Steak Fry hosted by Iowa Senator Tom Harkin.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama’s, D-Illinois, presidential campaign announced today that more than 300 former Republican voters from New Hampshire and Iowa are switching their party affiliation to actively support Obama, D-Illinois, in those crucial first two contests.

“I’ve been a Republican all my life, but the challenges we face are too great to choose a candidate based on his party—we need to the choose the candidate who can bring fundamental change to Washington and start getting things done again,” Jerry Spivak said. “Barack Obama is the only candidate who will be able to break the partisan logjam and inspire Americans to come together around real solutions.”

Obama's campaign sent out a list of 268 Iowa Republicans and 68 New Hampshire Republicans who changed their party registration and promised to vote for the Democratic presidential hopeful.

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • New Hampshire
  1. Gichel Chicago IL

So what? Is this another report of fictious numbers, by Hitler News Network, in there Iranistic efforts to control the news and election? Face up to it, goofy moderators.

November 5, 2007 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  2. Boris Moscow Russia

Wow, that should be worth a Carter and Dukakis Endorsement. Amazing Obama. Your campaign might tank earlier than expected.

November 5, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  3. suzzy,concord,NH

I can not be happier than I am for those 300 voters and many more!!! I have been hearing this around here in Newhemshire and I hope all goes well for Obama...

November 5, 2007 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  4. Bava Chicago IL

Probably about the number of Hitler News Network moderator, who felt bad about deleting the 300 worthwhile posts.

November 5, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  5. Columbus, Olivette, MO

He is inspirational, pragmatic, and honest. I would hate to see this great Republic embrace dynastic rule. I can't withstand a whole generation of Bush (4), Clinton (8), Bush (8) and another Clinton (8) again! I mean this would be a disaster for this country and the beginning of the end. I will definitely for Obama in the primary, and for any Democrat, other than Hillary, in the General election. But if Hillary is the nominee, I will have to vote Republican to save this country from Dynastic rule. This is a fundamental issue that should transcend party affiliation. Go Barack!

November 5, 2007 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  6. Baris Los Angeles CA

So what about the 450 Democrats that changed Parties, so they could vote for Guilani. Hey, now, Hitler News Network, you got to be fair.

November 5, 2007 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  7. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

To all you disaffected Republicans:

Check out Ron Paul. Seriously. And check out the previous Political Ticker article on Paul's November 5th fundraising drive: $3.5 million in less than 24 hours, and still climbing. (I used to be a Repub myself, but gave that up when the authoritarian-thug neocons stole the party name.)

To all you disaffected Democrats:

Check out Ron Paul. Seriously. Depends on your priorities, I suppose, but Paul is even more against foreign warmongering than any of the Democrats lining up for President seem to be.

To everyone who says Paul hasn't a chance:

If everyone who ever said that actually votes for Paul, they'd disprove themselves. :-)

November 5, 2007 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  8. Olin

I think this country needs CHANGE! and it needs it NOW! The only authentic candidate that we can trust regardless of what party or past voting record you've had is SENATOR JOHN McCAIN.

He is the only on who supports FREE TRADE without political reservations and also supports a GUEST-WORKER PROGRAM FOR IMMIGRANTS who'd initially come in illegally, understanding that forgiveness is sometimes the most productive solution, especially when you're dealing with people who mean well and have worked hard.

Probably President Bush has tried to bring change over the last 8 years-both in foreign policy and domestic policy but because he is inarticulate and it's hard for him to capture that same moral authority that a POW like McCain has and that the Pres. was pretty much a novice politically, he had a hard time implementing his otherwise good ideas.

Please support McCain-he has the same convictions as President Bush but a greater savvy for maneuvering it through Congress and ability to articulate the reasoning behind his policies. In many ways he is like Tony Blair; supports the same foreign policy as President Bush but is able to present his vision and philosophy with articulation.

Please say NO TO DIRTY POLITICS this time. Support the only authentic and unequivocally courageous candidate: JOHN McCAIN!!!

November 5, 2007 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  9. Borios Dallas TX

Yea, I hear 99 County Commissioners changed parties to vote for Edwards. And Ahmoudinegad switched parties to vote for BamaO. And Hitler News Network deletes it all. We got quite the campaign going dont we ?

November 5, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. Daniel, Ronan MT

As an AMERICAN I would vote for the "true" Republican named Ron Paul. Obama does not have what it takes for a real change in america.

November 5, 2007 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  11. jacob,baltimore,md

Does CNN really thing the change in party affiliation of 300 voters is worthy of a front page link?
    Are we supposed to believe this is the iceberg tip of a trend?
    Perhaps these 300 will send him over the top to victory.
    This wasn't even blog worthy much less news worthy.

Posted By Ken Consaul, Yucaipa, Ca 92399 : November 5, 2007 6:10 pm

when Hillary was flashing herself around and blocking questions, Obama was busy building his grassroot network. Now the reality is sinking because CNN(clinton news network) was all reporting about her but have realized no body have been watching television lately and guess what, American people are ver smart, they filter in what they want and leave the mouthful media people to make noise....I wonder if they take any Tilenol at the end of 8 hour programs.....

November 5, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  12. Taylor, Oxford, OH

Republican leaning independent from Ohio... will be voting in the Democratic Primary for Obamam and encourage others to register and do the same.

If he doesn't win I will vote Republican unless the candidate is Fred Thompson

November 5, 2007 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  13. ryan carol stream illinois

Hardly news worthy. 300 people over 2 states? Come on.. Im glad to see CNN is giving spotlight to Ron Paul, which he deserves. We dont need bi-partisan politics!! We need the constitution!! End of story!

November 5, 2007 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  14. Linda, Edmond, OK

go obama! if hillary gets the DEM nomination, i will vote for the republican. OBAMA 2008!!!!!!

November 6, 2007 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  15. sally,portsmouth,NH

As an independent in California…I say, ANYONE but a republican! This administration has ensured that I will NEVER and I mean NEVER vote for another republican. I've learned my lesson! Hilary, Barack, John Edwards…anyone but a repub!

Posted By Pam, Long Beach, California : November 5, 2007 6:18 pm
    I am with you all the way....
    I am an Indepedent who votes republican if I like the candidate but lessons learned the last 8years is so huge for me to consider them anymore. I will NEVER, and I said, NEVER vote republican........I have closed my ears for this president to get out of the office. I feel robbed and I will not consider Ron Paul or HIllary or anything close to that......I rather vote for Dodd,Obama or John edwards!!!

November 6, 2007 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  16. Muthoni,boston,ma

Are we supposed to believe this is the iceberg tip of a trend?
    Perhaps these 300 will send him over the top to victory.
    This wasn't even blog worthy much less news worthy.

Posted By Ken Consaul, Yucaipa, Ca 92399 : November 5, 2007 6:10 pm

So clinton news network have started to acknowlegde we as voters or Americans have brains..........
    This is real political news... and
    For you Ken, up there, It is our turn and
    Ukuigua uguo!!!!
    Go figure what that means,

November 6, 2007 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  17. Patrick, Tulsa Oklahoma

As an independent who has liberal leanings on some issues and conservative leanings on other issues I can tell you that if Obama is the democratic nominee I would likely for him. On the republican side McCain is who I would like to vote for. Ron Paul is the wild card, I believe he would draw a lot of democratic support but also repel a lot of republican support who would be more likely to go with a moderate democrat than a constitutional structuralist who would elminate far more programs than what most republicans would actually go along with. Those three candidates I believe have the most cross-over appeal. I personally like all three of them.

November 6, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  18. Jason Bohdan Sywak

These people shouldn't be changing their party to vote for Obama, they should be preparing to vote for Ron Paul.

Unlike Barack Obama, Ron Paul actually attends voting sessions (such as the recent vote regarding Iran's military), and votes to no to war with Iraq, no to unbalanced budgets, no to the usa patriot act, no to the military commissions act, no to big fed'l government...

Don't switch parties. Switch candidates.

November 6, 2007 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  19. Howard, Huntington, NY

Unfortunately, New York's absurdly early party change deadline prevented me from changing my party affiliation to Democrat. Otherwise I would be voting for Obama in the primary. As it is, I hope I have a chance to vote for him in the general election. Otherwise, I'll be voting third party.

November 6, 2007 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  20. A. Harrison Atlanta, GA

Is there any comment that should be placed for this. Everyone sees what this set up is...Get rid of the "electable" by supporting their opponent..then proceed to vote for who you really want (go figure).

Less than 2 months to go.

November 6, 2007 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  21. Bryan Stice, Merced, California

As a life-long Republican, I've become disgusted with the current direction of the Party. But rather jump on the band wagon of Obama & his polical party, I am jumping on that wagon of Ron Paul ...the only Republican candidate who wants to bring the troops home, to preserve/restore our quickly-fading civil liberties, and to place the people before corporations (or unions in the case of democrats).

I've never been as enthusiastic or supportive of any candidate as I am after reading about Ron Paul. Now that he's raking in the campaign contributions in record fashion (more one-day contributions/$s than any other republican candidate in history) he should start receiving the widespread national attention he's so certainly deserves.

November 6, 2007 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  22. John, Euless, TX

Gee...I changed also to support Obama...WHATEVER!! How much do they pay you people to get on here and sound so helpless. Obama has been preaching politics of change but has only been showing us politics as usual. He resorts to mud slinging and personal attacks to get his name in the news. Same old politics as usual with OBAMA. Edwards has been slinging mud since day one. Support the one candidate who is strong enough to lead this nation. Support the one candidate who can be respected across the world and give the world a reason to respect our country again. That candidate would be Hillary Clinton HANDS DOWN! There is no question that she will do a grat job not only as President but also as the first female President of the USA. She has shown us that she can rise above the mud slinging and run a very positive and drama free campaign. GO HILLARY GO!

November 6, 2007 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  23. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

The Republicans are so afraid of Hillary that they are having republicans cross over to vote against her. And they want anyone but Hillary.
    You don't see the republicans attacking any other democrat.

November 6, 2007 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  24. Jonathan Turner, Tampa, Florida

As some other's have stated in previous comments... there are far more people jumping ship to support Ron Paul than any other party affiliations. I am one of them myself. I was going to vote Democrat, but after hearing Ron Paul, I am supporting him entirely and actively. He is a real rarity in Washington! Honest, doesn't waffle, and wants to abide by the constituition! I know, what a crazy idea... if you haven't looked at him, check him out and I promise you that you will be supporting him!

November 6, 2007 05:08 am at 5:08 am |
  25. Coyne, Fallujah, Iraq

I'm from IL, I changed my affiliation as well to vote for Obama in the primaries. He has proven he has the intelligence, foresight, and sense to lead this country.

November 6, 2007 05:58 am at 5:58 am |