November 6th, 2007

Clinton on debate: 'I wasn't at my best'

Watch Sen. Clinton's entire interview with Candy Crowley from CNN's Election Express Tuesday.

NEWTON, Iowa (CNN) - Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton told CNN Tuesday her performance may have been lacking at last week's presidential debate, but brushed aside criticisms she has not been clear on where she stands on the issues.

"I wasn't at my best the other night - we've had a bunch of debates and I wouldn’t rank that up in my very top list," Clinton told CNN's Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley during an exclusive interview on board the Election Express in Newton, Iowa. “But I’ve answered probably, I don’t know, more than 5,000 questions over the last 10 months and I have been very clear about where I stand and where I want to do for’the country."

Clinton came under intense criticism from her Democratic opponents during and following a debate last Tuesday in Philadelphia when she appeared to evade a question about New York Governor Eliot Spitzer’s policy of offering driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

"I understand the necessity for criticism, Clinton continued, "we're getting toward the end of a very long presidential primary process."

Full story

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

–CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Marta, Elk Grove, California

The good old boys against the one woman who dares to dare them. Good show Hillary!

November 8, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  2. Ted Wu, Los Angeles, CA

The fact that three in four Americans do not think George Bush is the worst American president is a sad phenomenon. It says a lot of our ignorance and poor judgement. After all he is the president who is waging a war that causes 4,000 (and counting) American military deaths for absolutely nothing, who nomminates a former oil industry lobbyist as the secretary of interior, who ignores scientists’ warning about global warning to protect the profit of his pals in the industries, who cuts taxes for the benefit of the rich and super rich, who raised the national debt to unheard of level with his miitary spending while ignoring the actual needs of the American people, who disregards the constitution which he is supposed to honor and safeguard, and whose international behavior makes us the most hated and despised country in modern history.

November 8, 2007 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  3. Crissie Bather, Las Vegas, Nevada

After reading one of the comments below, I felt I had to respond. 1).Leaving the white house with a surplus hardly counts as leaving in disgrace.
    2). Ron Paul will never win, so give up the useless fight, and give your vote to someone who actually stands a chance.
    3). If you don't know how to use commas and punctuation when you write, please refrain from writing comments at all, because no one will take you seriously.

Hillary probably would have done better if media representatives like Tim Russert would accept the fact that he's not a candidate and act like the moderator he was supposed to be during the debate.

November 16, 2007 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  4. nightmare in New York

why is Bill Clinton telling us what he thinks we should do about illegal immagrants?

How is it that Bill Clinton can tell us where Senator Clinton stands on all these issues but she cannot tell us?

"Who is running for President him or her?

Why can't Senator Clinton defend herself?

It appears that Bill Clinton knows better than Senator Clinton what she would do as President!

I haven't heard Senator Clinton speak on any of the things Bill Clinton is speaking of. Why is this?

If he thinks Hillary is all that he claims she is then why did he cheat on her?
    GET THE PICTURE

January 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. CARL DOE

well, she does tend to speak about good and adequate leadership skills.
    just wondered, what would of happened if the x-president wouldn't of been unfaithful? would she still be motivated as she is right now? or would she have been just another relaxing, enjoying the benefits of an x-president at home, x-first lady?

January 30, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |