November 6th, 2007

Obama supporters pressed Dems to keep Colbert off ballot

Prominent Obama supporters in South Carolina pressed Democratic party officials to keep Stephen Colbert off the primary ballot.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Two prominent supporters of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign in South Carolina called state Democratic Party officials and urged them to keep funnyman Stephen Colbert's name off the primary ballot, according to party officials and Obama supporters.

The Obama campaign denied any connection to the phone calls.

"Democrats in South Carolina, including supporters of ours, had strong feelings on both sides of the ballot issue, and ultimately it was South Carolina Democrats who made this decision," said Obama's South Carolina communications director Kevin Griffis.

The South Carolina Democratic Party Executive Council voted last week 13-3 to block Colbert's bid for the Democratic primary.

Full story

Related video: CNN producer Peter Hamby discusses this story on Newsroom

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. Ann Memphis, TN

Great work CNN your bias is showing. The screeching of Clinton supporters is growing now that her poll numbers are dropping and she was called out during the last debate. The call must have gone out on Hillary 41. Full speed ahead trianglators. It seems like her paid staffers are all over this blog. I wonder did they get this story from Drudge. Cnn always does. Drudge wants in with the Clinton campaign. That is why CNN's blog is so pro Hillary.

Please put this in your mental rolodex
    The SC Democratic Party voted overwhelmingly to kick Colbert off 13-3.

Wow those two “supporters” who are NOT with the OBAMA CAMPAIGN BUT SUPPORTING HIM must be pretty powerful people. Clinton must be in trouble in SC. CNN and Drudge must have made a deal. We have to be distracted from the drubbing two faced Hill took last week.

November 6, 2007 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Tim, Chicago, IL

"Given the lopsided vote of the executive council, it was unclear if the calls had significant bearing on Colbert's fate as a bona fide presidential candidate."

Lopsided indeed so why even write this story? Colbert CLEARLY did not meet one of the standards in being a viable national candidate. Insanity has CNN become. Give me news on real issues, real policy, not phone calls made my independent citizens. I'm sure others, supporters of Obama, and other candidates called as well, to point out the absurdity of his candidacy.

November 6, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Silva,Lowell,Mass

Obama and Colbert are the same – JOKERS!

You, CNN and Colbert must be Jokers because I know Obama is not!
    Obama Voter!

November 6, 2007 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Ethan Austin, TX

It is pretty ridiculous to ban Colbert like that. He couldn't legally hold the office anyway. The Constitution states that a president needs to be at least 45 years of age. Perhaps Obama was afraid that Colbert would divide the votes that aren't going to Clinton.

November 6, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Silva,Lowell,mass

Obama and Colbert are the same – JOKERS!

Posted By anon, ottawa, OH : November 6, 2007 12:32 pm
    You, CNN and Colbert must be Jokers because I know Obama is not!
    Obama Voter!

November 6, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. jack,baltimore,md

CNN, Stop Spinning news and stop Spinning Obama!

Obama 08!

November 6, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Cathy,Newton,Mass

CNN why in the world would you think I would believe you.....I remember one of your major news reporter(the situation room) Wolf calling Obama Osama. He laughed out loud when he did this and nothing was done.
    You said Obama went to madrassa till you went to his school in Indonesia for damage control to find the truth...
    Now you are bringing this to promote your network with fake news, throwing mud at Obama...The part that you don't frame good is where you are saying it is Obama supporters. So then can we just support Obama because they didn't say he told them to call?
    We know Colbert is 1. Promoting his book,
    2. Promoting his show

3. Making his history

Please stop this because this country is becoming sickening everyday....It is so hard for our youth to focus on positives because of these kind of stuff!

November 6, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  8. Dave, Asheville, NC

I see Obama sheeple.

November 6, 2007 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. Milka,Shewsbury,mass

It looks like CNN will do anything and say anything (just like the Clintons)to score cheap political points. Why don't you come right out and say that you are trying destroy Barack Obama? It's no wonder that many people believe that CNN stands for Clinton News Network. Thanks for showing your true colors. As a woman, I will never support YOUR Hillary, nor will most of the other women I know.

Posted By MaryElaina, Washington : November 6, 2007 12:39 pm

It is true...Now that Hillary is going down everyday from the last presidential debate, when you see stuff like this you just know things are not too good with her and they are trying to throw Obama in the bandwagon.....I am a woman and I would pretty much like a woman as our President. I will Welcome any other woman other than Hillary.
    Other women that are in my neighbourhood and friends are not supporting hillary. I can tell ya here is all Obama!
    This guy is Amazing!
    Barrack all the way!

November 6, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. Gitahi, Dallas TX

I hope CNN does not delete this one too. Let's checlk back in 3 minutes. Might be gone.

So now these Obam haters are worried that Obama has some poliotical muscles afre all? Duh! CNN is just targetting the naive idiots who are prone to believing this nonsense. How many of thge councilmen are Clinton's, Edwards supporters but were not mentioned on CNN. I will personally drive to Atlanta to bring CNN a get well soon card after Obama wins IA and NH. Enjoy your Clinton money while you ca.
    GO OBAMA 08.

November 6, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. Peter,des moines IOWA

Colbert is already a president because he own his nation in his show,
    We are looking for a real president of United states. We are a nation of freedom and prosperity..we are voting for barack Obama!

November 6, 2007 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. josh,washington, dc

join the movement. the SC dems have already been slammed with calls. help make it rain.

November 6, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. wittybanter

Not cool by the Obama camp. Sort of like the kid who tells on everyone.

November 6, 2007 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Nice job CNN!!!
    You proved me again that "CNN=Clinton News Network."
    You are doing your best to spin every news possible.

Show us the video that Rudy mimicking Hilary.That was hilarious!!!

November 6, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  15. Greg, NY, NY

Posted By Ethan Austin, TX : November 6, 2007 12:46 pm

You have to be 35, though the youngest ever was 42, Teddy Roosevelt.

November 6, 2007 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. Realist, USA

Obama '08 will never happen. Why do you supporters bother?

November 6, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  17. ButterflyWeed, Illinois

Let's see – a practical joker with a TV show that's figured out how to boost his ratings? I'll bet plenty of you tune in to see how poor Colbert handles the rejection. Jeeze – if you don't live in SC, then close your yap. Just think, he could've been your next Ronald Reagan. Leave Obama out of this. If they're not printing the names of these alleged supporters with so much influence in SC, I find it hard to believe any of this story.

November 6, 2007 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. mrsmetaphor

I love when people use the term "making a mockery." When used to describe anything political it's redundant, when used to describe this PARTICULAR political story, it's downright ironic.

November 6, 2007 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. Tarik

People. Wake up. Really Wake up. Colbert was running for the Democratatic ticket in South Carolina. If any of you really think he could win is on some illegal substance. For those he think he spilt votes, then these candidates need take the voters serious. Listening to these candidates (all of them), they sound more like comedians than Colbert. Look at what these candidates have done not what they say. Stop being sheep (this applies to both parties).

November 6, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. Ken,El Clair,WI

Jack that seems a little eratic don't you think. I don't Think anybody has to or needs to put Obama down, considering he does it on his own. I am curious to see how Hilary will get him back though.

November 6, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. Keith, Phoenix, AZ

I think its rather funny that they feel threatened by Colbert. I watch him all the time and really like the guy. He's not only a funny guy, but he's very intelligent and wise in the political scene. I'm sure he'd eat either party up in a debate and spit them out. When compared to who's running now...I'd probably vote for him. GO COLBERT!!!

November 6, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  22. Faiza, Los Angeles, CA

Why are they wasting their time with this suppressing of Colbert being on the ballot (or not) I mean he has his reasons for running but really Obama supporters' and himself most especially should be trying to get people to vote for him not so much get rid of every joke candidate so he has a shot b/c if that's the case then he really never had a shot to begin with.

November 6, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. Jeremy, Portland OR

For being such an "intellectual" group of people here, I am shocked that people are still talking as if the Obama Campaign actually had anything to do with this. If people actually take the time to read and think, they will realize that these were just some Obama supporters and not anyone from his actual campaign....

November 6, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  24. Dan, NJ

This is really a no-issue. There is no reasonable argument Colbert was "nationally viable" if he only intended to appear on the ballot in S.C.

November 6, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  25. Muthoni,boston,mass

Let's see if CNN deletes this one. They have deleted two of my post already. Hmmm…are my posts not being Pro-Hillary agenda?

CNN is being ridiculous. Vinod Gupta must really be doing his work for the Clintons. How do they even know they were Obama supporters? Has this been verified? If one person felt intimidated, was this enough to change the vote. The vote would have been 12-4. Aaaaah……not much of a difference. Furthermore, this is a joke and just proves Mike Gravel right. We are getting fatter and dumber. Colbert was making a mockery of the system and he should not have been playing such a joke. I like his show and I think he is hilarious but now is not the time. Believe me, I would never vote for Hillary even if she was the only candidate on the ballot, but I would not raise a finger if her supporters did anything of this sort. Let’s not make a joke of the process. If he really wants to run, his supporters can raise the $30,000 for him to run as a Republican of he can run as an independent. Those saying that Obama has lost their vote because of this nonsense were never his supporters otherwise we would not see this dumbness coming out of their brains. Ivan bet you this was manufactured for Hillary’s benefit.

Posted By Gitahi, Dallas TX : November 6, 2007 12:26 pm

Gitahi, sorry to see Clitonians News network doing this to you....They are campaining for hillary and that way she can save her money because she has already assumed that she is the nominee and she is assuming other democrats... Now her network and her strategy to run like a nominee is backfiring on her big time...Obama support is surging and that is why they are posting this Kinda of stuff.....
    Sorry to see this happen to us Gitahi...We will have to see this guy through. I am doing countdown down here in mass. I am a die hard till he wins....

Muthoni