November 6th, 2007

Playing the gender card

Watch Carol Costello's report on Sen. Clinton and the otherwise all-male 2008 presidential field.

(CNN) - Did Sen. Hillary Clinton try to play the gender card after a recent debate?  Carol Costello takes a look at this question and also reports on whether Clinton's messages about gender will resonate with female voters.

Related: Clinton: I'm attacked for winning, not for being a woman

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jon, Sacramento ~ Ca

Hillary and her campaign have either infered or stood by the following statements:

Gerald McEntee endorsed Hillary with remarks that almost certainly had plenty of input from the Hillary campaign: "Six guys against Hillary. I’d call that a fair fight. This is one strong woman."

Her campaign produced a video, called "the politics of pile-on," which featured all her male opponents attacking her.

Anonymous Clinton advisers told the Associated Press that "there is a clear and long-planned strategy to fend off attacks by accusing her male rivals of gathering against her."

Hillary said during a speech that her all-girls-school alma mater "prepared me compete in the all boys’ club of presidential politics."

DID Hillary say, "Those mean boys are picking on me because I'm a woman!"? No.

DID President Clinton parse the word "is" and "sex" (suggesting oral sex was not sex)? YES.

You decide if Hillary and Bill are playing politics again or some how just the "victim" of all this.

November 6, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. RAINIE FT MYERS, FL

QUIT TRYING TO MAKE NEWS AND JUST REPORT NEWS. TRY THE ISSUES OF THE DAY.. LIKE HOW SHE WILL WORK WITH A GUTLESS CONGRESS TO BRING US RESPECT IN THE WORLD. LET THE WOMAN TAKE CHARGE AND CLEAN UP THE MESS WE'RE IN

November 6, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Hillary Clinton first said she was attacked because of her gender and then when that didn't fly with feminists she switched to "I'm the winner and that's why I was attacked."

Bottom line Hillary, you're the loser, not the winner. You're attacked because you can never give a straight answer. You constantly hedge your bets and people don't trust you.

I didn't trust you in 1992 and I don't trust you now. I'm a hardcore Democrat and I'd give anything to make sure the Republicans don't gain the white house.

If I thought you were the best choice for this country, I'd honestly, sincerely support you.

But I don't think that. I think the best option for this countries future is Barack Obama. When he talks, I believe it. His record is transparent and straight as an arrow.

When you were on the board of directors of Wall Mart, Obama was walking the streets as a community organizer.

You reek of politics as usual Hillary. You come across as the lobby led robot that the Republicans hope you are.

Maybe that's not you. I think you have some good ideas, but you have no idea how to communicate them. You come across as stiff and arrogant and you constantly play the role of a victim.

Not to mention that people are catching on to what you've been doing your entire career, which is to say or do whatever is politically expedient at the time.

We don't need that anymore. We don't need a candidate that chooses the path of least resistance. We don't need a candidate that takes a poll before she can give a solid answer, or only gives solid answers after she's attacked for not doing so.

You confuse and confound me Hillary. I constantly have to struggle to understand what you're trying to say and you come across as so boring that eventually I tune out and can't continue.

I shutter to think of the damage your nomination, much less your Presidency can do to this country.

With you at the helm, you'd strengthen your enemies politically and set the stage for eight more years of partisan gridlock. Your record and your words show this.

We don't need "the girl to take on the right" as you've said. We need someone to end this gridlock and deal with everything from the war to global warming to the collapse of our economy.

Obama has passed more bipartisan legislation than you have by far. He's passed meaningful ethics reform while the only straight answer you give seems to be that you enjoy taking money from lobbys and PACS.

You make me mad Hillary, because you share the same attitude as Bush. The same attitude that says, "It's not me, it's not my fault."

It's time to start taking some blame Hillary. It's time to start owning up to the fact that you make mistakes.

You never apologized for your vote on Iraq, did you? In fact, you voted the same way on Iran a few days back, giving Bush authority to attack yet again.

You blame Bill for your problems, you blame the right wing, you blame the American people, you blame anti-feminists.

Hillary, take some of that blame on yourself. It's your own lack of good communications skills and your own ego that stopped Healthcare in the ninties and is stopping your campaign dead in its tracks today.

Have you been to your own website lately? I cant even find a volunteer group to attend in Southern California if I wanted to.

And yet on Obama's site, nearly every community in Southern California has multiple events and groups to join.

I spoke to a local data coordinator for the Obama camp today, who told me the numbers from the canvasses are in, in over 5000 samples from California, the voters break down like this; 40 percent undecided, 30 percent leaning to Obama, 7 percent leaning to Clinton.

That is huge and its a much more telling number than the polls your Karl Rove aka Mark Penn creates for you. The sample is larger and if 40 percent wont pick you now you have major, major problems.

You're dangerous to your fellow Democrats Hillary, because you're your own worst enemy and you don't even realize it.

November 6, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. Andy, San Antonio Texas

Not only has Hillary played the gender cared, now her husband is coming to her defense.

As President, will Hillary have to have Bill come to her defense the minute she is criticized by congress, the press or a foreign leader?

November 6, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. lavelle Rochester,ny

She's done period point blank, she's done! stop trying to back peddle

November 6, 2007 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  6. nelson colorado springs co

cnn this is a waste of air time. men having been doing this all time by saying they can do a better job

November 6, 2007 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  7. Karen,ny

Why shouldn't Bill come to her defense? It is long over due. What to hell was he waiting for. He is a coward, was a coward and always will be. Even Bill Richardson came to her aid during the last forum. To me Bill C. is nothing, but a shell of a man who can easily contain knowledge and spit it out at people.

November 6, 2007 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. james, buda, tx

I hate CNN, they just look for an exuse to report I mean promote hillary.

November 6, 2007 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. Amy, Seattle, WA

Bill Clinton said: "It's fine for Hillary and all the other Democrats to discuss Governor Spitzer's plan. But not in 30 seconds — yes, no, raise your hand,".

Actually that's all you have to understand. Hillary adopted a thoughtful position. Bill has the right, as any American to make a comment.. if you and CNN interpret this as 'defending his wife', its just your stupid hate that speaks out.

November 6, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. C. K. Justus SC

She can play any card she wants to, do not the others do the same. I do not think it was a gender in the first place. She is ahead and it is her campaign to lose.
    I wish the rest would stay as positive as she has. I understand they are in this game to win, but then they all have to look in the mirror every day when they shave, that should tell you they have a very short memory.

November 6, 2007 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  11. RMRN.Y.

This politician has that dead stare in her eyes from all the deception and shading of the truth to massage the group that she happens to be speaking to.

Even her laughter is scripted.
    In the parlance of the theater, she is over rehearsed and the audience will see through her and not be taken in.

Contrast her style with the clear eyed authentic spontaneity and self assurance of Barak Obama and you have
    charisma backed by intelligence and
    purpose.

I say vote for the smartest guy (I mean person) in the room – BARAK OBAMA

November 7, 2007 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  12. Karen,ny

Well we will all have to Nov. 15th and watch the Dem. debate to see if she waffles. Also all gloves are off so we can see if she finally defends herself. If she can not defend herself than she will never be able to defend our country.

November 7, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  13. Bill, Bloomington Il

To Rainie: Get some backround before you post. She is part of that gutless congress.

November 7, 2007 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. HC, new york, ny

New USA Today/Gallup polling conducted this past weekend shows few signs that front-runner Sen. Hillary Clinton’s standing among Democrats nationally was affected by the recent Democratic candidate debate. Clinton’s 50% of the vote, Obama’s 22%, and Edwards’ 15% are virtually unchanged from Gallup’s Oct. 12-14 poll. Clinton continues to have the highest favorable ratings of the three leading candidates

November 7, 2007 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  15. MR. BIG NEW ORLEANS

CAN YOU SAY , NO HILLARY OR ANY DUMMYCRAT!! HELL YES!!

November 7, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |