November 6th, 2007

Presidential shocker: Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours

Monday proved to be a very lucrative day according to the Paul campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors, a spokesman for the Texas Republican’s presidential campaign told CNN.

Online supporters of the Texas congressman organized the fundraising push around Guy Fawkes Day, the November 5 holiday that marks Englishman Guy Fawkes' foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

The creator of the Web site that pushed the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. The Texas congressman’s spokesman said the idea did not come from Paul, but he did promote it in recent speeches.

Paul is the only Republican candidate who is calling for the removal of U.S. troops from Iraq. He also advocates for limited government and is anti-abortion rights. While Paul registers in the low single digits in most polls, he raised a very respectable $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's big haul

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Eric Weisbrod, Abbi Tatton, Alexander Mooney, and Katy Byron

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Jessica,des Moines IOWA

So long as he is affliliated with republicans he would not get my dime though I like him....

November 6, 2007 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. Candice, FL

I am a life-long Democrat, but if my party is stupid enough to elect Barack Obama then I'm voting for Ron Paul or the Republican nominee.

November 6, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Jess, Madisonville, KY

CONGRATULATIONS RON PAUL! Part of that is a donation from me! I can't wait for you to become President of the United States!

November 6, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. Flagship, Hartford, CT

"Anti-abortion rights" ?????
    How is that translated in layman's terms? Someone please explain.

November 6, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. james, buda, tx

I really like most of what Ron Paul says, I dont agree that the reason muslim extremists hate us is soley our fault, I think it goes deeper then what america did over there. He puts to much responsability in the peoples hands, and unfortunatly alot of people are to focused on getting their 15 mins. of fame, they rely on gubment handouts instead of hard work. Ron Paul would be great for president, I dont think the people are ready for what he offers, especially with hillary promising she will give your kids 5 grand just for being born. Who can promise more gubment handouts will unfortunatly win this election.

November 6, 2007 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. Chris, Monroe, MI

Ron Paul is not "anti-abortion rights." Although he does believe that life begins at conception and does want to overturn Roe v. Wade, he does not support a federal ban on abortion, and instead make it a state issue.

And it's time for CNN to get over its fascination with their polls. Traditional polls are conducted by phone or in person and reach out to people who voted in the previous Republican primaries. Ron Paul draws much of his support from non-traditional voter groups, including people from other parties and first-time voters. Not to mention that Paul isn't even included on many polls. If you want to see another barometer (though biased in the opposite direction), check out any of the polls on the Internet, which Ron Paul consistently dominates.

Let's let the numbers Paul pulls in– in terms of funds and rally turnout– speak for themselves, and let's not constantly denigrate his candidacy with comments about how he's a "long-shot dark-horse fringe candidate" with no numbers.

November 6, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Cindy

I am very liberal, but I find myself attracted to the Ron Paul campaign. I didn't donate to him yesterday, but I just gave him $500 today.

November 6, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. censoredbydigg

Ron Paul for the big money haul!

November 6, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. JD Austin TX

I donated 25 dollars yesterday. Most of this money came from small donation from Ron Paul's wide reaching grassroots support. Please give a fair look to Ron Paul.

November 6, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. Charity, Reading, PA

It's nice that you can add 280 additional comments to the Obama/Colbert article since posting Ron Paul money raising article last night, while you post ZERO comments to Paul's article. No bother cnn...I suppose when I said "eat your heart out cnn" that you already were doing just that. Keep it up, every time you dis Ron Paul, we just donate more to him.

November 6, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Bill,boston,mass

This should be a free expression website for this network...They keep deleting or not dispaying our comments. What's its use then?

November 6, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. Caleb, Lincoln, Nebraska

you rock, Ron Paul

November 6, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. Ohio

Not bad for a bunch of hot-pocket eating, basement dwelling kids.

November 6, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. John Slaughter, Colorado Springs, CO

Good for him! We are feedup with the all of the canadates-both Republican and Demecrates. John Slaughter

November 6, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. JD, Evansville, IN

Over 4 million in 24 hours and STILL RISING!!

Keep your eye on Ron Paul people! This man is truely great!!

November 6, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. Jon B Olathe KS

WOW...I just started reading about this guya few weeks ago because of all the Paul supporters posting on the Colbert threads.

Has a good platform for a REAL Republican conservative. Not the neo-con card carrying corporate puppets that most republicans are these days.

November 6, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Helio Beltrao, New York, NY

Ron Paul is the voice of reason, principle, and freedom. He is the only candidate I would be willing to cast my vote on. Longshot no more – his presidency is a real possibility.

November 6, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. Richard, NY

I think people should look at where the money is going and see how that support is shaping up. Whether its an anti-war democrat or an anti-war republican, the American people are voting with their dollars on this one. They want an anti-war candidate.

Now if we had Barack Obama taking the democratic primary and Ron Paul taking the republican primary, I think for the first time in a long time you would see a real debate about real issues. Also for the first time these 2 candidates would represent the vast majority of America, and as a public we would have our own honest debate on real issues. No more talking points and no more soundbites. And the worst elements of our political society, the extremist groups, Neocons, and religious right, would be tossed out of the process this time.

One can only hope.

November 6, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. Jess, Madisonville, KY

I LOVE YOU RON PAUL!

Part of that $4M is from me!

I'll be continueing to donate to your campaign! Can't wait til' your President!!!

November 6, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  20. Ryan, New York, NY

Obviously people are very satisfied with the status quo...

I'm not for all of Ron Paul's policies, in fact, I think some are a little nuts and short-sighted. They're things that I would like to see work in a perfect world, but simply can't because this is the real world, not some utopia.

That said, I am all for the disdain for our current government that his Presidential campaign represents, though.

November 6, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. Ryan, Chicago, IL

How about we post this headline on CNN's main page? This is a huge political story that few are covering.

November 6, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  22. Charles Roberts, Birmingham, Alabama

I'm struck that there's been so little coverage of this. That's a huge sum of money that most everyone (including you, CNN) has been ignoring.

November 6, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. Aaron Brooks, Los Angeles, CA

$4.2 Million in 24 Hours, $7.3 million in 5 weeks! Ron Paul's Q3 fundraising was double his Q2, and so far Q4 is 150% of Q3!

Well done! Thanks CNN for posting up this article, I'd like to see more on Ron Paul.

November 6, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  24. Cary, Sanford FL

Lets hope the media can start giving Ron Paul some more of the attention that he deserves. Fundraising and support like this does not happen by accident nor political connection, but rather sound ideology and brilliant vision.

November 6, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. John Davidson, Aurora IL

That is amazing. I think I might vote for Ron Paul. My father told me about him last week.

November 6, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |