November 6th, 2007

Presidential shocker: Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours

Monday proved to be a very lucrative day according to the Paul campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors, a spokesman for the Texas Republican’s presidential campaign told CNN.

Online supporters of the Texas congressman organized the fundraising push around Guy Fawkes Day, the November 5 holiday that marks Englishman Guy Fawkes' foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

The creator of the Web site that pushed the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. The Texas congressman’s spokesman said the idea did not come from Paul, but he did promote it in recent speeches.

Paul is the only Republican candidate who is calling for the removal of U.S. troops from Iraq. He also advocates for limited government and is anti-abortion rights. While Paul registers in the low single digits in most polls, he raised a very respectable $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's big haul

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Eric Weisbrod, Abbi Tatton, Alexander Mooney, and Katy Byron

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Chris, Fayetteville AR

Keep your money retards, this guy is a kook.

Looks like a kook, sounds like a kook, raises money with a movie based on a kook....must be a kook.

November 6, 2007 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. Nick, Washington DC

CNN is tells a lie in its article here. Ron Paul is not anti-abortion rights as they claim. Anyone that has listened to him on this issue will know that he simply thinks there is no one-size-fits-all federal solution to this issue and that states should decide.

November 6, 2007 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. jon, wichita, ks

As a physician and a democrat I think Ron Paul offers us our only hope. CNN is doing its best to make support for him look like a waste. Wrong – I'll choose my own candidate CNN and you can stick to the news. You can call him a "long shot" all day long but your polls disagree and that's called having an agenda.
    Nice pic of Paul by the way – how obvious can you be?

November 6, 2007 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  4. Brad, Beale Air Force Base, CA

I noticed that my comments have been deleted. Democracy at work... thanks CNN!

November 6, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  5. Brian B. Delaware, Ohio

Hard to ignore now. CNN-FOX-ABC-CBS-ETC

November 6, 2007 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  6. Jeanine Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I hope that this will show the media that Ron Paul and his supporters are for real and that it will initiate a WHOLE LOT more coverage. We are not going away!

Also, for those who think they would be wasting their vote on Ron Paul because the polls show him in supposedly last place..think again! :)

Go Ron Paul!

November 6, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  7. Allison Lukens, Fayetteville, AR

Yesterday was the first time I've ever donated to any candidate ($50). This February will be the first time I've voted in any primary election.

Restore the constitution! Bring the troops home! Power to the people!

November 6, 2007 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  8. Joe, Bellefonte, PA

"I got a feeling there's a new day, the sun is rising. I got a feeling everything is gonna change"

Restore the Republic ~ Ron Paul 2008

November 6, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Jacob IsBell, Indio CA

I am so proud to see Americans showing the mainstream media that they do not have a monopoly on who we will unite to support!

With that said, thank you CNN for your coverage of Dr Paul's campaign. If you keep me up to date on his progress, I will be a regular viewer of your website and news station.

Dr Paul cured my apathy

November 6, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  10. Eric, Crisfield, MD

To those who say Ron Paul is a "nut". How? In what way? Is going back to the Constitution a nutty thing to do? What is more nutty? Someone who promotes a humble foreign policy or someone who throws out warlike rhetoric towards Iran that sounds very similar to the pre-Iraq War rhetoric?

Anyone who thinks Iran is a threat to this nation is just some kind of sheepie who can't think for themselves and listens and hangs on every word the media shoves in their face. Iran may have some nutjobs in leadership, but I could formulate a pretty solid argument that we have similar nutjobs in power here.

November 6, 2007 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. Ronald L.A., California

I am concerned about the marginalization of any candidate who apparently has some widespread appeal. It doesn't matter whether you like him or not; this is America and the people, not the media, should be the ones to interpret the message. Shame on Fox and CNN for not providing objective coverage proportional to the significance of this fundraising item. Less important than Obama vs. Colbert? We, as a people, are not that stupid, are we?

November 6, 2007 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. JR Bullhead City, AZ

Ron Paul is the best candidate for president I have seen in my lifetime. Unlike our current president and the rest of the 2008 candidates, he does not have his own agenda.

I am going to actually register to vote for this election if he becomes the republican presidential nominee. I just hope that my vote and the rest of America's votes are actually COUNTED this election.

If another rigged election occurs in 2008, this country is doomed.

November 6, 2007 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I would also like to point out that Ron Paul does not support the North American Union, The Federal Reserve, the IRS or the Council of Foreign Relations.

All these groups are eating away at our civil liberties like parasites. If you are uneducated in these matters, Google them, and open your eyes.

November 6, 2007 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. Anonymous

excellent, my comments are being censored. Way to support the 1st amendment CNN.

November 6, 2007 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. T

Two things
    1. It is a claim that he raised that because it can no be verified before the end of this quarter people. It is not hard to understand.
    2. It is a shocker because this guy is not polling well and it is rare for any candidate, front runner or not, to raise that kind of money in 1 day.
    3. There are many reasons I will not vote for Ron Paul but one of them is how his supporters swear there is some conspiracy behind his coverage. look around folks every second tier candidate gets treated like crap. there is no real bias. Be happy with the coverage you get and quit telling people they are being fulled by the media. I have read his profile and that is why i am not voting for him....nothing to do with the media.

November 6, 2007 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  16. T

haha whoops meant three things....added one afterwards.

November 6, 2007 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  17. Ryan, Boca Raton, FL

Big media sucks, and this election I am NOT voting for a lesser of two evils (or what CNN calls a "frontrunner") I'm voting for who I want to become office, someone who won't run a huge national debt and polices the world.

I donated to Paul yesterday.

November 6, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. Charlotte Geissel

Ron Paul will take us out of this fascist regime and bring back our freedoms.
    We want peace and no nation building. Give the Iraqis their land back and get Black Water and the thousands of contractors out of Iraq. This suffering we have caused is more than despicable. Its time to end all wars.

November 6, 2007 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  19. Van, Santa Cruz CA

I donated $150 yesterday, because I believe in Ron Paul's dedication to lowering EVERYONE'S taxes, slashing all this absurd unnecessary war spending, and ending foreign "aid" (welfare) so that Americans can choose their own charities privately instead of being forced to give to other people's causes.

November 6, 2007 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  20. Julie Overvig Medford,Oregon

If RON PAUL gets the Republican nomination the R.N.C. would hire N.R.A to shoot the R.O.N and the folowing statements would follow: RUDY GULIANI: He would hold a press conference and blame it on the liberal media and THE CLINTONS and then happen to mention 9/11 a dozen times. MITT ROMNEY:The incident happened on a weekend and I was busy passing out my church pamblets door to door.FRED THOMPSON: Wife,Jeri Thompson held her own press conference and said her husband Fred was taking a nap at the time of the incident.JOHN MCCAIN: I'm glad they didn't waterboard him (Tortured) If I did it I would of BOMBED, BOMBED, BOMBED.MIKE HUCKABEE: Huckabee only statement was "Did you know I won the Iowa Straw Poll".DUNCAN HUNTER:Hunter said he believes that we should all be able to bear arms and protect ourselves from all evil-doers foreign or domestic.TOM TANCREDO: Tancredo says he believes that Illegal Aliens were involved and that they should of built a fence around Ron Paul. AND ON THE DEMOCRATIC SIDE...HILLARY CLINTON: I blame the Bush Adminstration but I could see why they did it and if I knew now what I knew then ( A minute ago) I wouldn't of said that.BARACK OBAMA: White People? Go fiqure. JOHN EDWARDS: I Blame Hillary!! JOE BIDEN: Biden remarked he was the only one with the track record to bring both partys together and that he could of made it a BI-PARTISAN incident.CHRIS DODD: He commented that he thought that shooting a candidate was a privilage not a requirement.BILL RICHARDSON:At his press conference he took the opportunity to go over his resume once more. DENNIS KUNICH: He commented that Tom Tancredo was wrong it wasn't the Illegal Aliens that were involved it was just the Aliens that were involved. MIKE GRAVEL: When Gravel was found he was very upset that he wasn't invited once again to particapate.

November 6, 2007 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  21. Josh, Kalamazoo Michigan

1776 ... long live the Revolution.

Many people forget that this country is a Republic not a Democracy. A true Democracy is tyranny by majority. The founding fathers understood this and setup our Constitution to provide a Republic where the rights of the individual are protected from the will of the majority.

True "American Patriotism" is the resistance of Government tyranny when it infringes on the rights of any individual. Concepts such as freedom and personal liberty belong to each and every human being regardless of the existence of a government. The founding fathers revolted against the British government and against King George and declared these concepts, risking their lives.

Today, men and women who stand for these same ideals are commonly ridiculed. Great men such as Ron Paul who stand firm on concepts that matter to our personal rights, freedom and liberty ... as well as the Declaration of Independance and Constitution are often ignored. I stand with Patriotic men like Ron Paul. It's my duty to do so because of the Country I grew up in. Our freedom, our liberty, I fight for everyone.

Republicans and Democrats are busy wrapped up in using the government to pursue and execute their personal agendas. This concept is wrong. Governments role is not supposed to be social engineering our country the way the majority feels they think it should run. That logic results in oppression that is no different than the facists we have fought over the years and that we continue to fight in the Middle East.

November 6, 2007 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  22. James Albuquerque, NM

I am proud to have been a Ron Paul supporter in 1988 (when I met him) and I'm proud to be a Ron Paul supporter today! He's the only candidate that honors the U.S. Constitution. It's a shame more voters don't respect that document and that the elections for them have become little more than a sporting event with each side rooting for their team, flawed as they may be.

November 6, 2007 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  23. Amy, Austin, TX

CNN apparently doesn't want you to know about anybody but Rudy, Romney, Hil, and Obama. I like what Ron Paul is doing. Keep getting the word out. Personally, I'm voting for Joe Biden. Give him a look too. CNN, stop deleting our posts.

November 6, 2007 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  24. Raul ; Birdsboro, Pa.

Finally a candidate who is for America and Americans. The other candidates, or for that matter the media, never challenge his 20 yr. congressional record because it is rock solid and has not changed. I have never been fired up by a Presidential candidate before Ron Paul. He is the real deal and exactly what America needs.

November 6, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  25. xtina - chicago IL

My comments were also deleted. They were neither mean-spirited nor wild nor hyperbolic; does cnn try to tip the balance to fit their own views, or what?

November 6, 2007 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |