November 6th, 2007

Presidential shocker: Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours

Monday proved to be a very lucrative day according to the Paul campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors, a spokesman for the Texas Republican’s presidential campaign told CNN.

Online supporters of the Texas congressman organized the fundraising push around Guy Fawkes Day, the November 5 holiday that marks Englishman Guy Fawkes' foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

The creator of the Web site that pushed the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. The Texas congressman’s spokesman said the idea did not come from Paul, but he did promote it in recent speeches.

Paul is the only Republican candidate who is calling for the removal of U.S. troops from Iraq. He also advocates for limited government and is anti-abortion rights. While Paul registers in the low single digits in most polls, he raised a very respectable $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's big haul

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Eric Weisbrod, Abbi Tatton, Alexander Mooney, and Katy Byron

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. colony14 author, Mt Prospect, Illinois

If the media would spend more time discussing issues in detail and less on fluff, most Americans would learn that they probably agree with Ron Paul more than they agree with any other candidate. Paul probably understands the Constitution better than the other candidates as well, and would certainly follow it more than they would. If Guliani or Clinton are elected, we're only moving more quickly down the path of bigger government and socialism.

November 6, 2007 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. xtina - chicago IL

p.s. Ron Paul isn't a kook, he's just so sensible that it sounds kooky to us brainwashed Americans. For example, abolishing the IRS is something we think will never happen. Replacing it with a higher sales tax will bring in more money from the "underground" economy of people such as drug dealers who don't pay (or file fraudulent income claims.)

Paying tax on what we buy instead of what we earn makes a lot of sense. Keeping every penny of what we earn and paying tax on what we buy should be appealing to the average American. Ron Paul has grand ideas such as this, but it sounds radical to most people.

November 6, 2007 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  3. Miguel, Denver, CO

This is fantastic news! Someone breaking through the ridiculous media "filter". I really do believe America needs a new direction....sticking to the Constitution, is a truly noble idea.

November 6, 2007 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. Jose Card

Small donations mean votes. Large donations per person mean more money for running TV ads, but you have to watch TV. Many people now spend more time online than in front of the TV. This election will be hard to predict. Dr. Ron Paul is looking stronger day by day. He is a magnet for online intellectuals and people with common sense.

November 6, 2007 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  5. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

Stick to your message and values and you could turn America around Paul!!! America First and politics last!!!

November 6, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. Jeff, Starkville MS

This is the first time I've heard it called "anti-abortion rights". What happened to "pro-life"? Obvious spin there! Ron has made it clear its up to the states to regulate this, NOT the federal government!

November 6, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  7. Don Brown bellingham washington

"I guarantee you the number is false. "Reported" versus "Actual". Ron Paul's campaign will do/say anything to try to drum up notice.

The guy is a kook who thinks the pentagon was blown up on 9/11 by a government missile because there was no wreckage from an airliner found.

Posted By Ray, Rochester : November 6, 2007 3:16 pm ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but Ray,,, they (bushies) didn't find any airplane parts. none. not even the kind that don't burn. could it be Ron is not a kook but Ray is intentionally ignorant? or did you find some airplane parts and can show anyone? I am voting for Ron Paul, because there were no airplane parts, and we don't build the kind of building that can be knocked down with a silly lil airplane, let alone 2 of'em.

November 6, 2007 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  8. James, Newport, KY

Ron Paul has a considerable following and he should not be taken lightly by the Republican party, as they may find him running as an Independent this summer!
    The campaing is built and is growing in leaps and bounds. An enigma truly, not seen since Ronald Reagan??

November 6, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  9. Jose Card

Whoever picked the photo for this report should get a raise at CNN. Even Saddam Hussein had better photos of him on CNN. Come on!

Changes will be painful and this just shows CNN, a big corporation is afraid of change even if the change will make us all more proud as Americans. But thanks for publishing my first comment!

November 6, 2007 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  10. Howard, Renom NV

I was one of the many who donated $25.

Remember the fifth of November!

Go Ron Paul!

November 6, 2007 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  11. Alexander Washington, D.C., USA

WASHINGTON — Census Bureau data suggests approximately 600,000 Republicans are likely to vote during the 2008 election cycle. GOP campaign fundraising reports show 75 percent of all Republicans will donate to their candidate of choice. Ron Paul's fourth-quarter fundraising activity includes 70,000 individual contributions between. Oct. 1 and Nov. 1. roughly 65% percent of all Republican voters.

Ron Paul Rally this Veteran's Day weekend at Independence Mall, Philadelphia, PA

November 6, 2007 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. Snow Ferguson Roanoke, Texas

I've never given to a political campaign before, until Ron Paul. Finally there is someone who speaks for me. That is Ron Paul! He is the ONLY true defender of the constitution out there! Now if some of you newspeople would grow some spine and put him on the front page! What are you afraid of?

November 6, 2007 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  13. Ian M., New York, NY

I would like this guy to win. Even though I am a non-resident living in US, he has the best interest of Americans, the USA and the World.

November 7, 2007 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  14. Doug, Erie PA

Nice of CNN to bury this story halfway down the politics blogs website, and not mention it anywhere on the cnn.com homepage.. instead you have a huge image of hillary talking about her horrible debate performance. I see where CNN's loyalties lie.

At least MSNBC ran this story on the front page of their website!

November 7, 2007 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  15. Michael, Massachusetts

Excellent news! He deserves to be recognized by the American public.

November 7, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  16. Brian,NYC,NY

If they are trying to reform their party with this guy too bad….I don't want a white house controlled by republicans.. Doesn't matter who they are!

Posted By james,boston,ma : November 6, 2007 4:09 pm

They think they can fool us by picking on the nice guy for us to think that their party is still alive…looks like this guy is cashing in too with a book.I don't see any honesty in that…I just hate republicans no matter how good they might!

Posted By Mike,NH : November 6, 2007 4:34 pm

I have been thinking the same...Take for example your sister get killed by a husband of a certain family....They have another son that is good and gets along with people..Would you go ahead and feel good about the other son and associate with him and think you can eat from the same table.....I wouldn't and I think I would feel that the memory of My sister would hurt further relationship with such a family....I wouldn't use the other son to bring them into any kind of friendship.....This is the same here. No matter how good Ron paul might be....I wouldn't think to have him as my president would be a good idea for me and not any republican!
    I am hurt and I am sure American people are hurting...Time to move on without these Idiots(republicans)...
    If you feel he is still a good choice, good luck with that....

November 7, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  17. Amanda K. Fort Smith, Arkansas

Ron Paul should have been on the front page of CNN for this. Once again hiding him in the riff raff? The public wants to hear about Ron Paul, we want to see stories on Ron Paul. CNN just can't figure out what the people want. Ron Paul for President 2008!

November 7, 2007 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  18. Susan Winn, Denver, CO

Why are you not reporting on Ron Paul's rise in the presidential nomination race?
    Don't underestimate the frustration of the American people and their desire for a fair, reasonable and democratic government!

November 7, 2007 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  19. Jake, San Diego CA

Ron Paul is the only Republican I'd even consider voting for. The man has a great vision for America, but will it result in votes. All the people who are dependent on the Federal government (welfare) will probably dislike him.

But he's someone who represents what the Republican party used to stand for, before it became the huge mess it is today.

If Obama isn't the Democrat running I'll be voting for Ron Paul, even if I have to write in his name, 1) because I think Ron Paul would be a great candidate and 2) I will never ever vote for Hillary. I don't care if I have to suffer through another Republican there's no way any of them would be worse than Hillary, well anyone but Gulliani who's just as bad.

November 7, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  20. Anonymous

YOU CAN'T IGNORE THIS CNN!!!!!!!

November 7, 2007 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  21. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

I am a supporter of Barak Obama – but
    I must say I am impressed.

I am also a registered Republican and I will be voting for Ron Paul in the NY primary just to stick it to the old guard of the very old fashioned Rep. party.

I truly respect your doctor!

November 7, 2007 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  22. Daniel, Dunnellon, Florida

Did you hear it? The sound of every Neo-Conservative jaw hitting the floor at the same time?

It's about time. The mainstream media still downplays the numbers of Americans who want liberty and true justice, but it's going to come back and bite them in their collective butts.

America needs Ron Paul big time. Anybody else will just result in more of our children getting killed for another undeclared and illegal war.

November 7, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  23. Paul S. Covington, KY

Ron Paul's ideas are refreshing and logical. If you have not taken a serious look at his politics visit his website or catch some of his videos on youtube.com. He knows what real freedom means, unlike the "powers" that are trying to block or suppress the legitimacy of his message. CNN we want more Ron Paul!

November 7, 2007 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  24. Ronald, L.A., California

Oh, and by the way and, again, I'm not a member of Ron Paul's cadre, but seriously CNN, you could not find a more neutral picture in your archives? Freedom of speech and fairness of the press demands not that you put the best face forward, only that you not put the worst face forward and that you try to navigate in such a way that you stay towards the middle. Wow. I'd like to take the clever individual who thought that pic was a good idea to lunch. I don't expect I'll receive an acceptance. Hubris reduces wisdom and cowardice confirms it never existed. Whoever chose this picture of Ron Paul is a coward or, worse, is not objective because he or she has a stake in the next election.

November 7, 2007 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  25. Ronald, L.A., California

Interesting that CNN would delete my post from 8:19 or so EST. All it did was refer to the marginalization of Mr. Paul while clearly indicating that I wasn't a supporter. I simply referred to the fact that the people, not the mainstream media, should decide what was relevant. Oh, and that Mr. Paul's notable fundraising was perhaps more significant than Obama's camp blocking Colbert's candidacy in S. Car.

Mea culpa. And, to paraphrase Mr. T., "I pity the fool that didn't expect me to copy my prior posts." Because the one I sent earlier today did not contain anything objectionable in the way of language or usage.

November 7, 2007 01:32 am at 1:32 am |