November 6th, 2007

Presidential shocker: Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours

Monday proved to be a very lucrative day according to the Paul campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors, a spokesman for the Texas Republican’s presidential campaign told CNN.

Online supporters of the Texas congressman organized the fundraising push around Guy Fawkes Day, the November 5 holiday that marks Englishman Guy Fawkes' foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

The creator of the Web site that pushed the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. The Texas congressman’s spokesman said the idea did not come from Paul, but he did promote it in recent speeches.

Paul is the only Republican candidate who is calling for the removal of U.S. troops from Iraq. He also advocates for limited government and is anti-abortion rights. While Paul registers in the low single digits in most polls, he raised a very respectable $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's big haul

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Eric Weisbrod, Abbi Tatton, Alexander Mooney, and Katy Byron

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Tyler, Iowa

I had never heard of this guy until reading this article. I went and checked out his website and now I think I'm going to vote for him and donate!

November 6, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Jim Gregory, Bethlehem, Pa.

This shows you how much people are fed up with government. I don't think anyone realized how much until now. I saw V for vendetta. Loved it. I'd love to know the genius who came up with that one. i'm sure some of the other candidates will be searching for him or her.. God bless!! Go Guy!!

November 6, 2007 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Bob, Columbus, OH

Ron Paul is NOT "anti-abortion rights". Ron Paul is outside of the normal pro/anti debate on most everything. His view is from an different prespective. Please try to get it right CNN.

November 6, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Eliza, Encinitas CA

Though I don't agree with all of his views – he is the most refreshing presidential candidate in years. Why? Because he always tells the truth (as he sees it) and he has INTEGRITY, which has saddley gone missing from our political arena in the US.
    To: CNN – Please give him the fair coverage and exposure he deserves.

November 6, 2007 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. P. Hudson, Allentown, PA

Ron Paul is the man! he's definitely getting my vote.

He speaks the truth, in a world where most politicians are just puppets.

November 6, 2007 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. JS Binghamton, NY

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.
    He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
    He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
    He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
    He has never taken a government-paid junket.
    He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
    He voted against regulating the Internet.
    He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
    He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

November 6, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. Irvin Baxter

It was nice of you to use the most flattering photo of Ron Paul that you could find.

November 6, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Will - Miami, Fl

To the person that said suggested that paying high taxes is better for society than donating money to a candidate – It boils down to this: I prefer to spend the money that I earn on what I choose to spend it on. I do NOT want the government stealing MY money and spending it on what they think it should be spent on. This country was NOT founded on socialist principals. I've given Ron Paul about $800 so far. I've also spent time making and posting signs, and went to the debate in Orlando to cheer him on. I'm proud to support Ron Paul with my time and money! He's not only sane, he's honest and a true patriot!

November 6, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. J, Seattle, WA

I checked Fox News to see if they covered this story on their website. Big Suprise! They've decided to completely ignore RP. Thanks for the coverage CNN.

November 6, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Ramsey Turner, Forest City IA

Go Ron Paul!

Yeah, we're all spammers – riiiiighht. When will the Mass Media wake up to the grass roots effort spreading like mad?

November 6, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  11. James Louisville KY

Who writes this stuff? Ron Paul is not against abortion rights: he wants states to make those decisions. (People could vote for what they believe.) He wants federal government out of our personal lives.

CNN probably won't post this one either. They despise Ron Paul because he doesn't fit into their system of blind consumerism politics.

Ron Paul 2008

November 6, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. sally,dallas,tx

I dont care about this guy...He is capitalizing on Presidential bid too with his book...He is cashing out people.....That is not being honest too

November 6, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. Justin Smith, Pensacola, FL

Ron Paul has my vote. But it is the message that is gaining ground. Dr. Paul has even said himself that he has his shortcomings, but the message has none. Americans are getting behind the message, we are just organizing behind the most principled man on the hill. That message is freedom, and we want freedom to ring proud once again in America.

November 6, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Jenny Ald Kansas City KS

Why does the headline read: "Ron Paul's Claim". Makes it sound like he's claiming something not true. It's not a "claim", it's the truth. They guy is raking in record breaking amounts. So pay attention!

November 6, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. William, Sacramento Ca

Ron Paul's going all the way to the white house folks!

November 6, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. RuthieM

All Ron Paul backers need to get behind Barack Obama who is Ron Paul in a true 'democratic' way.

November 6, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. james,boston,ma

If they are trying to reform their party with this guy too bad....I don't want a white house controlled by republicans.. Doesn't matter who they are!

November 6, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. Poindexter, Denver, CO

I have NEVER donated to a candidate or political party, but have donated 3 times to his campaign. Ron Paul is a man of integrity and it would seem that he cannot be bought. If people like me are donating and supporting, then there is definately something going on.

Good luck Dr. Paul.

November 6, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Juan Bolivar

It is heart-wrenching to think that Ron Paul, who in my opinion is the best man to lead this country out of all the phoneys, might not win. America is afraid to speak it's mind. We are creating a political aristocracy by re-electing people of the same family, and from the same circles. Two Bush's and two Clintons... It's SAD. Out of all of us Americans, you mean to tell me that we can only settle on a select few? Lets put the people back in power. Vote your heart. Vote Ron Paul. If you could go back, who would you want to write our constitution, Clinton, Obama, Giuliani, or Ron Paul. You know who you would choose: RON PAUL.
    Freedom is the people - the individual, NOT government and NOT big-business.

November 6, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Greg Peterson, Oceanside CA

To: William Wallace
    Conspiracy theories like that from Ron Paul supporters is what makes most people run away from Ron Paul as fast as they can.

November 6, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Anonymous

I also added $25 last night. I only got to realize Ron Paul 2 days ago. After watching yourtube videos, I am deeply motiviated by him.

November 6, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. Loren Charles, Tucson, Arizona

Dear CNN,

Surely you can find a worse, more cadaverous photo of Ron Paul in your archives; maybe something with fangs and dripping blood - or would that be more appropriate for the current resident in our White House?

One thing I wonder about; since, according to the wisdom of your polls, Mr. Paul always polls in the low digits; yet he somehow manages to raise the most money in one day of any Republican candidate to date. Something tells me - this does not compute.

Maybe–just maybe–your polls are not accurate, or perhaps they are purposely "skewed" - you know, like the photograph you ran with this article?

November 6, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Troy Olroyd Phoenix, Az

Thank you for reporting on Ron Paul's November 5th donations of over
    $4 million dollars raised in 24 hours on the internet.
    This is just the beginning of what we are going to donate for his win!
    Ron Paul 2008

November 6, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Bobb, Derry,NH

Doesn't matter how white they are as snow. If republican, forget it!

A republican who has changed to be democrat for Obama

November 6, 2007 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. John Butler, Boca Raton FL

What a joke, and they call this impartial journalism. Nice smear tactic CNN. I guess a picture that makes him look angry was warranted considering he just blew all of the other Republican canidates out of the water.

I've got a test for you CNN, let's challenge the other candidates to drum up a grassroots fundraising effort and challenge them to raise more money. It will never happen without the corporate interests.

You should be ashamed CNN. This is history in the making.

November 6, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |