November 6th, 2007

Presidential shocker: Paul raises more than $4 million in 24 hours

Monday proved to be a very lucrative day according to the Paul campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Ron Paul raised more than $4 million on the Internet Monday from more than 35,000 donors, a spokesman for the Texas Republican’s presidential campaign told CNN.

Online supporters of the Texas congressman organized the fundraising push around Guy Fawkes Day, the November 5 holiday that marks Englishman Guy Fawkes' foiled attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605, subject of the recent film “V for Vendetta.”

The creator of the Web site that pushed the Paul fundraising drive said the message is not violent, but rather a fundraising idea that spread virally on-line. The Texas congressman’s spokesman said the idea did not come from Paul, but he did promote it in recent speeches.

Paul is the only Republican candidate who is calling for the removal of U.S. troops from Iraq. He also advocates for limited government and is anti-abortion rights. While Paul registers in the low single digits in most polls, he raised a very respectable $5 million in the third quarter fundraising period.

Related video: Ron Paul's big haul

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN's Eric Weisbrod, Abbi Tatton, Alexander Mooney, and Katy Byron

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. Yelton Erwin TN

America, Please wake up! If Ron Paul does not get president then we all are done and doomed. Stand up and let the government know that we all know what is truly going on and vote for Ron Paul!!!!!! It does'nt bother him at all to tell the truth about the things that are being hidden from us Americans. The government thinks they are so smart and the only way to get America back is simply vote for Ron Paul for President 2008! He will make a difference in all of our lives!

November 6, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Neil Barrett, Summerfield Florida

Ron Paul for President! He is the only Christian Statesman! He has not been bought out by the new world order folks. He believes in states rights and a LIMITED government with LOWER taxes. He will also work to get rid of the federal reserve which is neither federal or reserve!

November 6, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. Bill, Rockville, MD

For those of you out there who think that this man is only about ending the war, please the war is already over, onto more pertinent issues – 1. Dr. Paul is an OB-GYN who delivered 4,000 babies for no charge for poor couples who couldn't afford it. Is there a single candidate who can even match that kind of philanthropy. He cares for real. Period. 2. Taxes – your second biggest expense in life after kids, which today is forced from you, go to destroying human civilazations abroad will for once be stopped. Through this century, taxes will keep going up until people revolt and choose not to have a government anymore. Dr. Paul wants minimum government.

November 6, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. Vince Los Angeles, CA

You go Ron Paul!!!!! I'm not a Repulican and won't be voting for you. But in my book, you're the smartest and the brightess Repulican in GOP field. Good Luck Ron Paul!!!

November 6, 2007 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Mike,NH

If they are trying to reform their party with this guy too bad….I don't want a white house controlled by republicans.. Doesn't matter who they are!

Posted By james,boston,ma : November 6, 2007 4:09 pm

They think they can fool us by picking on the nice guy for us to think that their party is still alive...looks like this guy is cashing in too with a book.I don't see any honesty in that...I just hate republicans no matter how good they might!

November 6, 2007 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. Keith, Chapel Hill NC

Can we please have more bias in the media? 'Presidential shocker' for those who haven't logged on to any independent media site in the last four months, not to mention that an independent candidate setting the single day record for money raising for the republican party only gets four paragraphs of coverage, while Obama's team being urged to make sure that Stephen Colbert doesn't get on the South Carolina ballot gets over a page of coverage and the running spot as the top story on the politics page. This is a truly embarrassing sign of the blatant hypocrisy going on in MSM (Paul didn't even make the 'Top Story' section on FoxNews' political page, surprise?) and will, hopefully, lead to the public humiliation of MSM leaders when Ron Paul wins the nomination for the Republican candidacy!

November 6, 2007 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. Brian, Philadelphia, PA

I don't know if Ron Paul's the best guy to be president, but I am beyond impressed by the passion of his supporters, who I often hear referred to as "crazy." Looking around at where we are as a country today, I'm starting to think that outraged Ron Paul supporters may not be the Americans who are out of touch with reality...

November 6, 2007 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. DA Flurkey COS Co

Our elections do not need to feed us big business candidates from 2 similar parties to still be democratic. If fact other democracys have more than 2 parties. The "neocon" agenda is promoted by both parties. Ron Paul is the last, best hope for America. And it is sad- he obviously has a large ammount of people who support him, but the Republicans will certainly nominate somone else.
    Instead of a libertartian that would love and protect our country, we'll get annother pro-Isreal puppet, great, I'm thinking of leaving!

November 6, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. Sherrie San Angelo TX

To Ray in Rochester, Ron Paul is not a 9/11 truther. He has never said that. He believes we were attacked, and that we were attacked because of the U.S. foreign policy. Why don't you check the facts instead of listening to what these bought and paid for, so called "journalist" are saying.

Let's get to the white house Ron Paul 2008!! ronpaul2008.com

November 6, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. Nicole, Indiana

CNN and their rhetoric around Ron Paul continues to be extremely obnoxious! I DON'T WANT THEIR OPINION – I want INFORMATION ON Ron Paul! How it is not completely obvious and disturbing that CNN’s reporting is an attempt to dissuade public opinion of Ron Paul.

Obviously, $4.3 million shows that there are people with minds of their own that lack indoctrination from MSMedia and aren't listening to them! Time to sing a different tune corporate media & CNN! WAKE UP. Ron Paul is reaching people, REPORT don’t DISTORT.

November 6, 2007 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. Jaik , chicago, IL

How can you be for limited government and also be in favor of making government prod into women's personal lives and abortion rights ? that's oxymoronic. Either you want women to have abortions in safe clinics, or you want poor women to die in back alleys with bloody hangars, while rich women and politician's children can fly to some place where it is legal. Abortion isn't going to stop, it's been happening since before the species evolved. Its just a matter of whether you want women to die. plain and simple.
    I can't vote for a person who has such an elitist view, that safety and health is for the rich only. Typical Libertarianism.

November 6, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. Annie, Austin, TX

My boyfriend and I donated yesterday for our first time ever. We'll probably donate more to get Paul to his goal. I'm already a registered republican and would have probably voted for Mccain or Huckabee, but Paul really stands out above all the candidates to me as being strong, honest, and intelligent.

November 6, 2007 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. Servant of Jesus Christ

Whether you like it or not there are ONLY TWO (2) candidates that have a chance of repairing the destruction this administration and many of its law makers have inflicted on this country and others. Those TWO candidates are Joseph Biden and Ron Paul.

Any other choice from the candidates at hand and America will fall into the abyss that awaits, and 50 years will not undue the damage.

The choice set before the people.

November 6, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Jonathan, Birmingham AL

This article was so full of spin that I was dizzy by the end. Since when did CNN become Fox News Lite? The mainstream media is a joke, and everyone knows it, which is why the Internet is, sadly, the only place you can find anything close to the truth, and there's so much mis/disinfo around that it makes it hard to know who to trust.

Luckily, Dr. Paul has a perfect record that spans decades, which is something the top-tier flip-floppers can't offer. Their lies are easy to see through and Dr. Paul is so easy to trust because of it.

Good job, RP contributors. Keep spreading the word. Obviously we can't depend on the news anymore to let people know the facts. Everyone's a RP supporter, they just don't know it yet!

November 6, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. David, Gilbert Arizona

In my small suburban town I saw a truck with a Ron Paul sticker on it. I am not leaning toward a vote for Ron Paul but I respect him more than I do Rudy or Mitt. For these reasons I put very little value in political polls that say Dr. Paul is running in the low single digits.

November 6, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. Mike, New Braunfels, TX

Hehe...he looks like Gandalf without a beard.

November 6, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. Derek, Honolulu HI

A) Dr. Paul is not anti-abortion rights. He believes in letting states decide this issue. Our federal government was never meant to be the all-powerful decider of everything and the more people condone such an attitude, the worse things will be in our country.

B) For those of you complaining about the Guy Fawkes Day thing, watch the movie V For Vendetta. The message is about people being in charge of their lives, not some big-brother government.

November 6, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. Heather - Austin, TX

Jaik: Ron Paul doesn't believe the federal government has the right to ban abortions. Although I suppose it really isn't your fault for assuming that CNN did a little research before writing this article.

November 6, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. Bill Seattle Washington

So when lot of emails are sent by lots of people about a hot topic, its grass roots, but when its about something that the CFR media doesn't like its spam.

How shameful.

November 6, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Ryan, New York, NY

I believe that Mr. Paul and his campaign have either misinterpreted the messages in both the Guy Fawkes celebration and the film "V for Vendetta" or are taking the voters for fools. I simply cannot see how they can make a positive connection between two terrorists and a presidential campaign in the contemporary United States. Weather or not you find yourself liking "V" in the film, as no doubt one should since he does fight for what our contemporary values consider to be right, or Fawkes for whatever reason you might find, the two are still terrorists. I would find myself in a state of horror if Mr. Paul were to actually attempt to terrorize us United Statens in this way for political gain. I realize that in a world of political hidalgos, each Quixote needs to separate themself from the flock, and using popular culture has traditionally been a very successful way of accomplishing that goal. However, perhaps Ron Paul and his campaign should look at the deeper message behind the celebrations and films of traditional and pop culture before using them to promote themselves, lest they find themselves looking the fool. Thank you,

Posted By Casey; Champaign, Illinois : November 6, 2007 2:40 pm

First, he's talking about the symbolic overthrow of the modern government.

Second, you do realize that our founder's would fit under our present day definition of terrorists, right? Would you like to go on about how much you hate Sam Adams and others who created this country that you live in?

November 6, 2007 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. LH, Baltimore MD

My husband introduced me to Dr. Paul about two months ago, and the more I read about the man, the more I'm enticed. This is the first time I've ever donated to a presidential candidate and I'm thinking of doing so again. I've been doing a lot of reading about Paul (and I do try to get a balanced perspective on the candidates) and I've been amazed at the passion which RP supporters have for Dr. Paul. I used to be very cynical about the election process, as well as the government among other US institutions and I have to say that Ron Paul is a breath of fresh air. Perhaps there is hope for America!

November 6, 2007 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. Angelina Julie Lexington Kentucky

Jaik – Ron Paul is a Constitutionalist. As a Constitutionalist, one realizes that one can't support one group's rights while denying another group those same rights. Simply stated, he thinks unborn children have rights too. But he does support abortion in cases of rape and the health of the mother. He just doesn't support it fundamentally. but he also said he would leave this up to the individual states. Read before speaking.

November 6, 2007 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. Honest Man Dallas, Texas

This guy's internet support and fund raising continue to amaze me and I cannot see him staying in the 5% popularity range for long.

I disagree with some of his views (just seems too "out there" on some things), but have no question on his sincerity, and have great respect for his stances on the Constitution and individual freedoms.

For anyone voting more on "character" than "ideology", this is the guy.

November 6, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  24. Will, Boulder CO

"V for Vendetta" has about as much to do with Guy Fawkes and Guy Fawkes day as "Point Break" has to do with former president's robbing banks.

But don't let a little research or editorial review get in the way of getting information out to the public.

November 6, 2007 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  25. Jon B Olathe KS

All these comments about him cashing in on writing a book...

Which presidential candidate HASN'T written a book?

Aside from GW the vast majority of presidents had written books before being elected.

November 6, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |