November 6th, 2007

Third time's not the charm for Kucinich

Rep. Dennis Kucinich would like to have the House debate impeaching Vice President Cheney.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The House voted Tuesday to stop Rep. Dennis Kucinich's, D-Ohio, effort to bring up a debate on impeaching Vice President Dick Cheney.

Kucinich, who is vying for the Democratic presidential nomination, has tried to bring up the issue on three separate occasions. The House voted 218-194 to send it to committee, effectively killing it.

On the House floor, Kucinich said Cheney "acted in a manner contrary to his trust as vice president." Kucinich also said Cheney harmed national security by openly threatening Iran.

"Vice President Richard B. Cheney by such conduct is guilty of an impeachable offense warranting removal from office," Kucinich said.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino criticized Democrats in Congress for spending time on this debate rather than focusing on health care for children and veterans.

"This Congress has not sent a single appropriations bill to the president’s desk this year – a new record of failure," Perino said.

"Yet, they find time to spend an entire work period on futile votes to impeach the vice president or to pass contempt citations against the president’s chief of staff and former counsel. It is this behavior that leaves the American people shaking their head in wonder at this Congress,” Perino added.

–CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich • Dick Cheney
  1. fingerbo

Dana Perino is just the latest (and, to be fair, comeliest) of a long line of Bush-weasels. The least we could hope for would be both Cheney and Bush being impeached. It's the minimum we, THE PEOPLE, should expect. What happened to law? What happened to The Constitution? Cheney and Bush by definition are criminals. They've broken many laws and have committed (by definition, again) treason.

"Dana Perino criticized Democrats in Congress for spending time on this debate rather than focusing on health care for children and veterans."

How dare she, after the president's shameful vetoing of the S-CHIP bill. The Dems were pushing for that, or has Ms. Perino forgotten? It's all so sickening. I want my America back.

November 6, 2007 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. Frustrated in Colorado

How about removing Perino?

November 6, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. Joe, Yorktown, VA

That's too bad. Presidents have had impeachment proceedings against them for lesser crimes. Hell, I don't think any of us are going to forget Andrew Johnson's impeachment anytime soon.

November 6, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. PSK Lakeside, AZ

Say what you will about Rep. Kucinich- the guy seems to make alot of sense of late. OF COURSE we need to impeach Cheney as a prelude to really cleaning House. The alternative is just too horrifying to contemplate (Prez Cheney!).
    Does Ms. Perino really think that the "failure" of Congress to send an appropriations bill to the WH is born of complacency?
    And BY THE WAY Ms. Perino- us Americans out here (the ones that the current Administration has ignored for 7 years) aren't "shaking our head in wonder at this Congress" – we're close to complete and utter frustration and anger – but do not for one second believe it is leveled at Congress. It is leveled quite appropriately at the current Presidency.

November 6, 2007 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  5. E.White, Houston,TX

After the spineless Democrats held the 15 minute vote open for over an hour, to try to table this resolution, and failed.

I gratefully made a campaign contribution to Dennis Kucinich.

Thank goodness at least one Democrat has some backbone.

November 6, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. Lo, Austin TX

"American people shaking their heads...". Get a clue. We are shaking our heads cause you refuse to do your job and get us out Iraq and impeach the war criminals that put us there. How can we fund health care while spending billions in Iraq.
    Lo

November 6, 2007 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  7. Mark R. Fort Lauderdale FL

I dislike Cheney as much as anyone else does, but this isn't helpful. Move along with the busines of the country.

November 6, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  8. Sean San Diego CA

This NEWS IS WRONG!!!!!
    HR 333 was voted into the Judiciary committee today!!!!

November 6, 2007 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  9. Andrew Berquist, American Samoa

Killing it would have been voting yes on Roll Call 1037. That got 251 votes nay, 162 votes Yea.

Though some people say it will be dead by moving to the committee, the leader of the committee voted along side Rep. Kucinich.

It amazes me that this had republican support, but still lacks the support of major democrats. The big issue here is this infamous 'democratic agenda' that Mrs. Pelosi has. If there was no 'agenda' and everyone voted for the people they represent, as their job is to do, there wouldn't be an issue at all.

We elect our members of congress to represent us, the majority of them, democratic or republican, have failed to do so.

My representative unfortunately gets no vote in congress. Contact yours and express your feelings to them regarding the subject.

November 6, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  10. Michelle D. from Atlanta

Dana Perino suffers from the same delusions as Dick & Dubya. Congress HAS sent bills 'o plenty and Bush has vetoed darned near all of them. He even tried to stop an increase in the minimum wage.

Why aren't we hearing anything about $94/barrel oil and $3/gallon gas? Why doesn't Bush step up to the plate and try to HELP people in America? I am so sick of him and this entire Administration (and their spin). Press on with impeachment for BOTH Cheney and Bush!!! Can't wait 'til the next election!!! Let's take our country back!!!

November 6, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  11. Scott, Madison, WI

Really? You mean to tell me this administration is still not being held to any kind of ethical or moral standard? Well, that's just news, isn't it?

If Hillary or Rudy gets in, be prepared America for the same game for their term in office.

November 6, 2007 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  12. Maria Soledad Cervantes, Mexico City, Mexico

From Mexico I applaud the courage and valor of Rep. Dennis Kucinich in daring to keep and show such a sound mind in the face of the insanity that spreads from Cheney and Bush towards and upon the whole world. We have President Calderón clumsy government thanks to them. Efforts to arrest global climate change are weaker because of them. But I feel inside US as Mexican voters feel the same: vested interests' logic is not the logic of mankind's survival. It's not even the logic for the American people's survival. Right now the US Corporate government led by Cheney is the most powerful in the world. However US population since at least President Johnson's times live in a war economy, and the scenario has reached incredible heights with Cheney & Bush governments, both for the Americans and the developing countries they foist their will upon.
    Thanks

November 6, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  13. loni marris, pasadena, calif

This is exacly why the Democrat party will lose big time next year.
    They are do nothing failures and the Republican party can do many things at the same time including running a successful war while keeping the economy way up and us prosperous.

November 6, 2007 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  14. Jeb in Texas

I have never seen such yellowed bellied, chicken little,and totally spineless wimps in the House.Darth has them afraid he will start a War before they can kick him out for treasoness acts,let alone War crimes and things Im sure we dont even know about yet? Thank you Dennis for being one of the only real men or women to stand up for the Constitution of these United States.Lets take a look at the vote and see who will not be voted for next election!

November 6, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  15. Magliovelli, Menlo Park CA

The vote should have been 435-0 in favor. What cowards.

November 6, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. Over It in Indiana

I'm checking the list of 194 that voted against & making sure I DO NOT VOTE FOR THEM. We want & demand impeachment of both Bush & Cheney.

November 6, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  17. Tom Seibert, Tarboro, NC

Doesn't this country have enough to worry about than impeaching the VP. Lets worry about the children and the defenders of this great country. Shows you that he only cares about his political gain then the future of our country.

November 6, 2007 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. a veteran

Published: Oct 19, 2007
    A Soldier's Last Words:
    Listen Up CBS, CNN, Cindy Sheehan, Al Franken

by Louisa Centanni

SGT. Edmund John Jeffer's last few words were some
    of the most touching, inspiring and most truthful words
    spoken since the tragedy of 9/11 – and since our nation
    went to war.
    SGT. Jeffers was a strong soldier and talented writer.
    He died in Iraq on September 19, 2007. He was a loving
    husband, brother and son. His service was more than
    this country could ever grasp – but the least you can do
    for the man who sacrificed his life for you ... is listen to
    what he had to say. So, listen up and pay attention, all
    of you liberal Cindy Sheehans and Al Frankens of the
    world ...and to MSNBC, CNN, and CBS.
    To all who call themselves Americans ..
    Hope Rides Alone.

****************************************************************

Hope Rides Alone
    By Eddie Jeffers

I stare out into the darkness from my post, and I watch
    the city burn to the ground. I smell the familiar smells, I walk
    through the familiar rubble, and I look at the frightened faces
    that watch me pass down the streets of their neighborhoods.
    My nerves hardly rest; my hands are steady on a device that
    has been given to me from my government for the purpose of
    taking the lives of others.

I sweat, and I am tired. My back aches from the loads I carry.
    Young American boys look to me to direct them in a manner
    that will someday allow them to see their families again...and
    yet, I too, am just a boy....my age not but a few years more
    than that of the ones I lead. I am stressed, I am scared, and I
    am paranoid...because death is everywhere. It waits for me, it
    calls to me from around street corners and windows, and it is
    always there.

There are the demons that follow me, and tempt me into
    thoughts and actions that are not my own...but that are
    necessary for survival. I've made compromises with my
    humanity. And I am not alone in this. Miles from me are
    my brethren in this world, who walk in the same streets...
    who feel the same things, whether they admit to it or not.
    And to think, I volunteered for this...!!
    And I am ignorant to the rest of the world...or so I thought.

But even thousands of miles away, in Ramadi, Iraq, the cries
    and screams and complaints of the ungrateful reach me. In a
    year, I will be thrust back into society from a life and mentality
    that doesn't fit your average man. And then, I will be alone.
    And then, I will walk down the streets of America, and see the
    yellow ribbon stickers on the cars of the same people who
    compare our President to Hitler.

I will watch the television and watch the Cindy Sheehans, and
    the Al Frankens, and the rest of the ignorant sheep of America
    spout off their mouths about a subject they know nothing about.
    It is their right, however, and it is a right that is defended by
    hundreds of thousands of boys and girls scattered across the
    world, far from home. I use the word boys and girls, because
    that's what they are. In the Army, the average age of the
    infantryman is nineteen years old. The average rank of soldiers
    killed in action is Private First Class.

People like Cindy Sheehan are ignorant. Not just to this war,
    but to the results of their idiotic ramblings, or at least I hope they
    are. They don't realize its effects on this war. In this war, there
    are no Geneva Conventions, no cease fires. Medics and
    Chaplains are not spared from the enemy's brutality because it's
    against the rules. I can only imagine the horrors a military
    Chaplain would experience at the hands of the enemy. The
    enemy slinks in the shadows and fights a coward's war against
    us. It is effective though, as many men and women have died
    since the start of this war. And the memory of their service to
    America is tainted by the inconsiderate remarks on our nation's
    news outlets. And every day, the enemy changes...only now, the
    enemy is becoming something new. The enemy is transitioning
    from the Muslim extremists to Americans. The enemy is becoming
    the very people whom we defend with our lives. And they do not
    realize it. But in denouncing our actions, denouncing our leaders,
    denouncing the war we live and fight, they are isolating the military
    from society...and they are becoming our enemy.

Democrats and peace activists like to toss the word "quagmire"
    around and compare this war to Vietnam. In a way they are right,
    this war is becoming like Vietnam. Not the actual war, but in the
    isolation of country and military. America is not a nation at war;
    they are a nation with its military at war. Like it or not, we are here,
    some of us for our second, or third times; some even for their fourth
    and so on. Americans are so concerned now with politics, that it is
    interfering with our war.

Terrorists cut the heads off of American citizens on the Internet...
    and there is no outrage, but an American soldier kills an Iraqi in the
    midst of battle, and there are investigations, and sometimes soldiers
    are even jailed...for doing their job.

It is absolutely sickening to me to think our country has come to this.
    Why are we so obsessed with the bad news? Why will people stop
    at nothing to be against this war, no matter how much evidence of
    the good we've done is thrown in their face? When is the last time
    CNN or MSNBC or CBS reported the opening of schools and hospitals
    in Iraq? Or the leaders of terror cells being detained or killed? It's all
    happening, but people will not let up their hatred of Bush. They will
    ignore the good news, because it just might show people that Bush
    was right.

America has lost its will to fight. It has lost its will to defend what is
    right and just in the world. The crazy thing of it all is that the American
    people have not even been asked to sacrifice a single thing. It's not
    like World War Two, where people rationed food, and turned in cars to
    be made into metal for tanks. The American people have not been
    asked to sacrifice anything. Unless you are in the military or the family
    member of a service member, its life as usual...the war doesn't affect
    you.

But it affects us. And when it is over, and the troops come home, and
    they try to piece together what's left of them after their service...where
    will the detractors be then? Where will the Cindy Sheehans be to
    comfort and talk to soldiers and help them sort out the last couple
    years of their lives, most of which have been spent dodging death and
    wading through the deaths of their friends? They will be where they
    always are, somewhere far away, where the horrors of the world can't
    touch them. Somewhere where they can complain about things they
    will never experience in their lifetime; things that the young men and
    women of America have willingly taken upon their shoulders.

We are the hope of the Iraqi people. They want what everyone else
    wants in life: safety, security, somewhere to call home. They want a
    country that is safe to raise their children in. Not a place where their
    children will be abducted, raped, and murdered if they do not comply
    with the terrorists demands. They want to live on, rebuild and prosper.
    And America has given them the opportunity, but only if we stay true
    to the cause, and see it to its end. But the country must unite in this endeavor...we cannot place the burden on our military alone. We must
    all stand up and fight, whether in uniform or not. And supporting us is
    more than sticking yellow ribbon stickers on your cars. It's supporting
    our President, our troops ....and our cause.

Right now, the burden is all on the American soldiers. Right now,
    hope rides alone. But it can change, it must change. Because there is
    only failure and darkness ahead for us as a country, as a people, if it
    doesn't.

Let's stop all the political nonsense, let's stop all the bickering, let's
    stop all the bad news, and let's stand and fight!

November 6, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Kathleen, Merced, CA

Perino is dead wrong. I am an American and the only thing I'm shaking my head in wonder about is why impeachment was ever taken off the table in the first place. This adminstration has demonstrated time and again its willingness to ignore our constitution and to systematically set about taking away the rights of its citizens based on lies and its own corrupt lust for power. Perino is a fine one to talk, but what can you expect from the PARTY OF FEAR AND SMEAR?

November 6, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  20. Kyle, Washington DC

Perino should watch C-SPAN sometime. Democrats actually voted to table this messure as soon as it came up so they could work on the work of the people such as the appropriations bill Ms. Perino talks of, but Republicans looking for an oppurtunity to score cheap political points voted against tableing it, extending the debate and causing the business of the house to be halted. Kucinich doesn't speak for the Democratic party

November 6, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. Ann Minneapolis, MN

I don't think it is killed yet, as much as the Corporate news wants it to be.
    Not one network stations broke into programing to show the vote to impeach the VP. the media is still censoring Democracy

November 6, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  22. James Claremont, CA

Kucinich is far too liberal for me, but I think he's a great guy. I really want Cheney gone and I wish him the best of luck. It's about time Teflon Dick got the boot.

November 6, 2007 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. Eddie,Sanford,N.C.

No, I shake my head in wonder that Cheney and the rest of the Bush crime family are still in office.

November 6, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  24. Jim, Sunnyvale, CA

Are you kidding me, lady? The Congress sent you a bill to institure child health insurance, and your President veto'd the thing. He said it was too expensive. Then he turned around and asked for more money for his war. Go get some facts before you open your mouth. And I mean facts, not this fiction you are citing.

November 6, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  25. Donovan Brownstown, MI

It's a sad day when we can't even get democrats to vote to impeach this war criminal, let alone republicans. This is something america wants. This is something america needs. The behavior of the current administration sets a dangerous precedent for future predisents if there is no impeachment nor any other action to condemn the atrocities they have committed.

November 6, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |