November 7th, 2007

Pat Robertson endorses Giuliani

Rudy Giuliani won a major conservative endorsement Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Pat Robertson, the television evangelist and Christian Coalition leader, endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday.

“The Giuliani campaign hopes this endorsement will help with inroads among evangelical Christians,” says CNN Chief National Correspondent John King.

It was Robertson’s 1988 presidential campaign that, while unsuccessful, cemented evangelical voters as a dominant force within the Republican Party.

Robertson has repeatedly praised Giuliani despite their major differences on social policy, such as abortion and gay marriage.

Both men say a friendship developed after a long conversation on a plane during a trip to Israel several years ago. Another thing both men have in common is that they are prostate cancer survivors.

Giuliani is the frontrunner in the national polls, but he trails in surveys in many of the early primary and caucus states, among them Iowa and South Carolina, where social conservative voters make up a major part of the Republican voting electorate.

Reacting to the Robertson endorsement, Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, one of Giuliani's chief rivals for the Republican nomination, said "you can't get them all."  Romney also touted his recent endorsements by conservative activist Paul Weyrich and Bob Jones III, president of the evangelical Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina.

Related: Giuliani, McCain pick up key Christian conservative backing

– CNN's John King, Paul Steinhauser, and Peter Hamby

Filed under: Iowa • Rudy Giuliani • Same-sex marriage • South Carolina
  1. Mia, Stafford, VA

Who is suprised, some of these so called evangelist are such hypocrites!

Most don't practice what they preach, because they are the most judgemental people you ever wanted to meet, and God's word is crystal clear about judging.

November 7, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. George, IL

Christians in this nation are either misled, or plainly STUPID. But then,it all depends on how you define the word "Christian". If Bush is regarded as "born-again", nothing else that follows should surprise you.

November 7, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. william, oklahoma city, ok

Oh how UNSURPRISING. I posted either the 1st or 2nd comment to this dumb story and now comment has been erased from the ledger by the CNN.COM censors.

As I said PREVIOUSLY, his endorsement for Rudy is a joke and I take it with a grain of salt. Rudy is one of the most liberal candidates in the field as of now and a total Fake Conservative.

HHmmm, I wonder if this comment is gonna be up more then 5 minutes if AT ALL. You censor freaks.

November 7, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Brian from ny

This just in:

Rudy gets divorced again.

Gets endorsement from the Pope

November 7, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. Gwen, Burlington WI

This goes to Brad.
    "I'm a Christian and find it repulsive and irritating to hear you juvelniles rant about how "intolerant" Christians are"

I can't speak for anyone other than myself. I too am a Christian, been so all my life. Most Christians are tolerant of those who believe differently then they. On the Otherhand, there are THOSE so called Christians that preach, "Do as-I say, not as I do." That THEY are above everyone else, that is, until they show their true colors and that is where their so-called beliefs, rears its ugly head and bits them in the butt.

November 7, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. A Real Christian-United States

Why is it people who profess to call themselves Christians like "Brad from the great state of Texas" come on this forum and start namecalling? Real Christians are people who follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, who most importantly taught us to "judge not, lest ye be judged". Think about that one for a while Brad...if you can.

November 7, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Sam, Lincoln, Nebraska

Giuliani needs Robertson's endorsement like he needs a hole in the head. This will only give Giuliani more appeal to the wingnuts and alienate his core constituency. At least maybe John McCain will come to his senses and realize he doesn't have to sell out to the religious kooks anymore, unless he's still trying to get James Dobson's endorsement too.

November 7, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Joe-St. Louis, MO

Brad-giving money to the needy doesn't mean you aren't an intolerant bigot masquerading as a Christian. Accusing others of namecalling while engaging in that very activity yourself, by the way, is blatant hypocrisy, which I've come to expect from "Christians" like you.

November 7, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. AJ, Chicago IL

WOW! I am not Republican and I am shocked! Robertson endorsing Guiliani, I never saw that one coming. I would have thought Robertson would have endorsed Huckabee (a fellow man of the faith).

This just goes to show you that even high powered evangelical leaders will sell out their morals and values.

November 7, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. David, Birmingham, AL

UNBELIEVABLE! I am so angry and disgusted by this I am ready to pull my hair out! How on Earth can Robertson support a foul, disgusting, hateful, crooked man like Rudolph Giuliani? I have forgiven Robertson for some of his ridiculous comments in the past, but this has finally set me off! NEVER will I EVER support Robertson or Giuliani. I am done with you Robertson!

November 7, 2007 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. AJ, Chicago IL

p.s. Robertson's endorsement just lost Rudy the Republican nomination. I can see evangelical Christians rallying behind another candidate like McClain and/or Huckabee or just turning their backs on all the candidates. Thanks, Pat for making a little more easier for a Democrat to take the White House.

November 7, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. Cindy, Salt Lake City, Utah

Another reason not to vote for Rudy.

November 7, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Howard Hewlett Des Moines Iowa

What a scum bag! Lord knows I don't share the same values as Mr. Robertson, but I at least respected him for staying true to himself. The only reason why he would endorse a man who has flipped on crucial social issues is to win. This man has completely abandoned his ethics for the sake of winning, again what a SCUM BAG!

November 7, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Ed,Ellenville,New York

Very funny that the man behind the funding of Bin Laden that praised the attack of 911 would now support the mayor who presided of it. I guess Pat's partner Charles Taylor intends to keep quiet about their involvement in funneling those diamonds to Bin Laden. Did Pat give you a big rock for your last engagement gift? Anybody that doesn't know,needs to check out Pat's real business in Liberia. Diamond mining and terrorism are the link between Robertson and Bin Laden. Rudy you're a fool for taking such an "undorsement".

November 7, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. Seriously?, Denver CO

Well, thats the nail in the coffin for deluded republican voters who still claim to have the party of values. Methinks its funny how fast the republican "values" can be thrown out if they dont think they can win. How many wives has Rudy had? What are his stances on gun control and abortion? Wake up people, "conservatives" want power not values.

November 7, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  16. JT, Denver

Oh my gosh. It is reported Americans are tired of partisan politics but look who is acting partisan....Americans. The hate going back and forth between librals or dems and repubs is crazy. Both parties have their place and the foundations of both are needed and should be discussed and debated but not all this extra crap. Hate is all I see on here. Hate towards anyone that is not like you or does not agree with you. Hate towards intolerance while being intolerant. Hypocrisy in our government but in our people as well. It makes me sad.

November 7, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Dave, Alpharetta GA

Do you think lightening will be striking the Robertson home soon? Surely selling your soul and principles for an election would warrant such a response from the Man upstairs.

November 7, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Robertson endorsing Giuliani sounds very convoluted and will probably be reversed. I wouldn't lose any sleep over these two survivors of prostat cancer.

November 7, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. Juan reynoso, San Antonio, texas

Rudy Giuliani is a traitor, any one that promoted sanctuary to illegal aliens and betray the trust of the people that elected him is nothing more than a traitor.

November 7, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  20. joseph, austin, tx

Just another perfect example of separation of church and state. Oh wait……

What this actually is is a perfect example that a vote for any of the Republican candidates is a vote for the same type G.W. Bush mess that we have had to endure for too long.

Posted By John, : November 7, 2007 1:05 pm

I can only assume you are a dem. Why was it ok for barack to attend a southern baptist revival, but Giuliani gets endorsed(like he had any control over it) by pat robertson and NOW its a problem with separation of church and state.

November 7, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. Wayne, Greenville TX

Why is it every time a story about a Republican or a Christian comes on the ticker there are so many spiteful comments? All I see is the same old liberal name-calling– "fanatics", "fascists", "right-wing haters"… I'm a Christian and find it repulsive and irritating to hear you juvelniles rant about how "intolerant" Christians are. The simple fact is Christians typically give more of their hard-earned money to needy people than secularists and for the most part are good, decent people. The hateful things I see on the ticker prove that many liberals are just as "intolerant" as they claim Christians are, if not worse because they name-call without backing up any of their claims! I can't wait to see how many of you adolescents spew your angst toward me now that I have said this… and hopefully CNN doesn't remove my posting like they did last night regarding the Cheney impeachment article!

Posted By Brad, from the great state of Texas : November 7, 2007 1:50 pm

You're known by the company you keep, Brad. And from the KKK to the Army of God, and from Concerned Women for America to the Christian Coalition, the USA is filled with Christians who are fanatical, fascist, right-wing haters. And they give ALL Christians a bad name.

We'd be much better off if all those Christians would stop the hate and start acting more Christ-like, as they profess to do.

November 7, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  22. Jon S. Ann Arbor, Michigan

I didn't know Robertson had converted his intolerance, and now supports gays and abortion rights. Good for you, Pat. (wink, wink)

November 7, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. Oscar, Rio Vista, CA 94571

Well goodness me. Fancy that!! All you poor Republicans that spew all your hatred comments regarding anything on the ticker concerning Obama are now upset because normal people are pointing out the hypocracy of the religious right and their so-called moral values. They are a joke and endorsing someone who is against everything that they supposedly stand for proves it.

November 7, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. rob

Hillary staffers are giving each other high-fives over this. The only thing Rudy has going with mainstream America is that he's not an ultra-right zealot. Now he doesnt' even have that. He has lost independent voters with this bonehead move.

November 7, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  25. Cole, Ithaca, NY

Isn't endorsing Rudy essentially suicide for fear of death by Robertson (in fear of a Clinton presidency)?

It would seem so if one wasn't aware of Pat's economic interests. His estimated worth is over 200 million dollars.

This is the same man who supported a Liberian warlord and human rights violator because he had millions at stake in a contract with their government...the same man who used donations from viewers to transport diamond-mining capital instead of the refugees the viewers were concerned for.

The man is a fraud with connections, nothing more. This isn't the first time he's compromised his "values", it's just another addition to the laundry list of hypocritical actions. Another "Christian" leader betraying the trust of those who truly believe.

November 7, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |