November 9th, 2007

Clinton wins backing from battleground state governor

Strickland endorsed Clinton Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton won the backing Friday from a governor of what is likely to be a key battleground state in the 2008 race for the White House.

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland announced Friday in a conference call with reporters that he is endorsing the New York senator's campaign, calling Clinton an "experienced and strong leader."

"Here in Ohio which is in the heartland of the country, I believe she is the strongest candidate that our party can put forth, and I believe that she is the person that can win the presidency," Strickland also said.

Ohio played a key role in the 2004 presidential race, going to President Bush over then-Democratic nominee John Kerry by a little more than a 100,000 votes – a result that ultimately determined the outcome of the election.

“I don't think that it is likely that either a Democrat or a Republican will be successful without being successful in Ohio," Strickland said Friday. "I feel strongly [Clinton] is the candidate that can speak to the issues important to Ohioans and that she can carry Ohio."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Ohio
  1. John K. Riggs

And in Ohio all votes will count for Hitlery,no matter who they were cast for. If you are a globalist fascist,you'll love doing business with Diebold.

November 9, 2007 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. Dan, NJ

I think the governor's comments actually highlight a Clinton weakness. He says neither a Rep. nor Dem. can win without carrying Ohio. Hil consistently polls with astronomical negatives from Repubs and high negatives from Independents. In short, she is polarizing and that has been a losing formual for Dems in Ohio against polarizing Bush.

So the governor of Ohio (not an early nomination state) saying she can win Ohio (something belied by the numbers) in a time where she is sliding in polls across the board shows Clinton has played one of her aces. Probably a smart timing move and may lend some stability in Iowa polls. Certainly, like most of Clinton's dealings, she has another debt to repay if she wins.

November 9, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Bryan Fowler, Louisville, KY

I am now living in Louisville, Ky but was raised in Ohio. I used to interview Ted Strickland back in the days of his Congressional seat on Magic 101 and WJEH in Gallipolis-him and Jesse Goode-great guys. He has had fundraisers at The Fowler Farm in Crown City, Ohio-a farm that belonged to my great grandmother and grandfather that is still owned by my family.

This endorsement disgusts me. Ted Strickland is talented, very hard working and if anyone deserved to be Governor it is him, but he has lost all respect from me at this point. I am saddened that there is a likely chance Ohio will support Clinton and the ace in the hole for Democrats is Ted Srickland.

Ted Strickland if he is not careful will have the same outcome as Al Gore. Al Gore deserved to be President because of his talents, hard work...he's just one of those guys you knew would be President-ruined because of his relationship with The Clintons. Ted Strickland is on his way. A long shot at VP, or the possibility of being VP to "nothing" is simply not worth it and Ted Strickland is MUCH better than this. I hope that my family and everyone in Southern Ohio will let him know that this is unacceptable.

November 9, 2007 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  4. Dan, TX

I'm glad for Hillary, but I'm still voting for Obama, simply because he's the better candidate and is more likely to beat the republican candidate.

November 9, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. Dave New York, NY

To Sharyn, the Richardson supporter-

You don't understand...

You are correct that Hillary doesn't have Richardson's great resume as governor and Clinton cabinet member-

Still, Richardson did not actually sleep with President Clinton for eight years like Mrs. Clinton did.

I guess this comment is one of those jokes that doesn't need a punch line- I should fill in for Letterman's staff during the stike.

November 9, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. Sharyn, CT

Dave-

You and I both know that Bill and Hillary DON'T sleep together.

Hillary Clinton is NOT Bill. She simply isn't. You can't say otherwise. She is overwhelmingly polarizing and her stances are so generic that it makes me yawn. She's fake. She talks like a robot. She has no personality. She may be smart, but that intelligence is going towards manipulative the populace into thinking she's electable. She ISN'T!

For those who think it's time for a woman to be elected, I agree. But Hillary is not the right woman for the job.

It isn't the time for on the job training. Bill can't provide all of the help.

But Bill Richardson has been there. He knows congress, he knows the cabinet, he's successfully negotiated with "evil-doers" and has GOVERNED.

We as US citizens elect Governors.

November 9, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. Jun, Los Angeles, CA

Hillary, let us get America back on track! Clinton 08!

November 9, 2007 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Michael, Houston, Tx

I have confidence in Hillary too, and hope she is elected. More than that though, I hope she is able with solid advice from Bill, to restore America's place on the world stage, and bring about very successful tax, energy, healthcare and economic policies that benefit out nation and our friends and neighbors long term.

I also hope she and her administration are not hijacked by extremists, of any kind as the current administration has been. I hope she uses the power to heal the rifts in the country with good policy to benefit the nation's people long term, and restore the art of compromise to legislation and open debate, free of insincere politically correct speech.

Good luck and bring us good fortune!

November 9, 2007 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  9. Theresa LV

The only experience Clinton has is in the game of manipulative politics. And that is experience we can do without.

Her judgement as shown by her vote to enable the Iraq war and then her vote to pave the way for a war with Iran. These were major decisions and she failed horribly. Young men and women are dead because of her bad judgement.

She has not led in any key decision-making policies during her senate career. After polls are taken she jumps on the bandwagon. She is not a leader.

November 9, 2007 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. apn

So do we realy want another 4 years of Clintonizom.Dirty no stick tricks. Just because she is a Senator does not give her the experience needed to be a nation leader.New York screwed themselfs when they linked Hillary to there state. Being First Lady and a two bit lawyer is also not experience to be president. What we really need in this election 2008 if she gets the nomination is to beat her so bad like they did to Dukakis and Gore that they give up politics and go so far underground that nobody cares where they are. For once and for all get the Clintons,Kennedy(Ted) out of public office and out of the news

November 9, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. Fred Crow Jr. Parma Hts. Ohio

Why Ted? WHY? Hey Ted, Have you watched a Debate yet? I don't believe that she has answered a question yet. I'm changing to independent, this is a disaster...

November 9, 2007 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  12. Jerry, Toledo OH

Ron from TX:
    Strickland couldn't deliver for Kerry in 2004 because he wasn't the governot then. Republican Bob Taft was.

Craig from Louisville:
    In 06 the republican running for governor was Ken Blackwell. Sherrod Brown was a democrat runnig for the Senate.

November 9, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  13. rafael, tucson az

where is all this experience that hillary supposedly has she hasn't been in the senate for more than ten years. She likes to say that being first lady gave her experience. How is that? all she did was sleep with her husband. She has voted more times with bush than against him she is only getting by because of her name we need someone who will not go with the status quo, and who isn't in the white house just because of her name. Hillary has no substance the only thing she has is her name, and that's not good enough for the white house.

November 9, 2007 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  14. THANK YOU, MISSISSIPPI

Will she get my vote? NOT!!

November 9, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  15. Moe, NY

Good choice Gov. Strickland!

November 9, 2007 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  16. what , ooh

Back off or Papa Bush will have you wacked by the CIA.

November 9, 2007 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  17. Sue, Michigan

Now if we can keep the Republicans from screwing up the voting machines in Ohio, the proper candidate may carry the state this time around!

November 9, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  18. Liberal Chic

Belyn – San Antonio – Texas :

Nah. Thompson should get the Grumpy vote. Or maybe he should have been Sleepy and Gravel, Grumpy

November 10, 2007 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  19. Chimpeach Bush, Burbank, Ca

The Republic party has feared a Hillary Presidency as far back as 1993 during her attempt at making universal and/or much more affordable health care a realistic possibity, seeing as how the USA is the only so-called civilized developed nation in the world w/o any such system. 14 years later the problem has mushroomed in size and predictably, insurance costs have sky-rocketed, plus roughly 2-4 million additional folks have joined the ranks of the uninsured/ severely underinsured. I guess most in the Republic party recognized the strong leadership qualities in Hillary Clinton and they soon began the rumors of "one day she may run for office and win she did, next stop may indeed be the WH, just as they crazies on the far right have long feared, HA HA! Perhaps you neo-cons have heard that old saying- "be careful what you want, you may just get it!" Here comes Hillary Clinton, and the chances she will win, and win by a landslide look pretty good at this point! (You dim-witted Bush crazies are free to leave the country anytime you want and don't let the door hit you on the way out HA HA HA!!!) Me, Heck I don't really care at this point in time which Democrat wins the nomination. I like them all and any would be 100% better in office on their worst day in office as Bush ever dreamed he could. I admit I am a little more sadistic towards the Repubs than I once was. I wasn't always such a partisan meanie HA HA. But after witnessing the so-called "uniter" they worship so much since "selection 2000" and the last couple decades prior to that of their nasty shenanigans, ruthless tactics, and the way they are willing to say or do anything to anybody who dares oppose their mad agenda, I just can't help it. "I'm lovin' it", watching the few far right, Bush lovin' nut jobs squirm again over Hillary possibly gaining the oval office way they did when they watched in horror as Bill Clinton easily swept to victory in 19992 in well worth her running, even if she never wins in November!!!

November 10, 2007 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  20. Steven in Charleston

Well, regardless of whether you are for or against the idea of Hillary as President, it's foolish to try to spin this as anything other than very good news for the Clinton Camp. Gov. Strickland is highly respected by both Dems and Repubs in his state, and his state will, in all liklihood, be key in the General. And I would be very surprised if he isn't on Hillary's short list of potential VP candidates. There are a handful of endorsement coups available in any election, and Hillary has two important ones - the former President with one of the highest post-office approval ratings in history, and now the Governor of a key battleground state. That doesn't mean that the race is over, but it does strengthen her position.

November 10, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. Steven in Charleston

I am always amazed at the people who insist on trashing Hillary because she didn't leave Bill over his infidelity.

Why is America so obsessed with sex?

People act like sexual infidelity is the worst possible thing one can do, and an untterly unforgiveable sin.

Is failing to resist the temptation of lust on occasion truly worse than any number of other "sins" a spouse can commit - from being unkind, inconsiderate, or unfeeling, to failing to support their spouse or partner in the pursuit of their dreams? Yet when someone commits one of these sins, we generally encourage their spouse to "try and work it out." Why then, when a little nookie enters into the equation, do we automatically shift to "dump the bastard!"???

No one knows the inner workings of the Clinton's marriage except for them. And while it is possible that she decided to stay with him for political gain, it is also possible that she decided that there was more good than bad in their marriage, and that the good stuff was worth fighting for. It was ~her~ choice, and she is not a victim. How about giving her the benefit of the doubt?

November 10, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  22. pam Eugene, OR

Steven: It is not about the sex. It is about the lie. I don't care who Bill slept with but I do care that he lied under oath and made a joke for all the world. It depends on what "is" is? Come on.
    Hillary has no more credibility than he does. She is not worthy to be OUR president.

November 10, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. RMRN.Y.

Wow!! I just got it – The Hillary supporters are just sexists – the reason they don't talk issues or political electability is because for the most part they
    just want a women and thats it...

The Hillary fluffer – nutters aren't
    really thinking about whats good for unity in this country – all they want is the feel good sensation of a women Prez.

Well, HELL clintonistas I believe in
    gender blind politics as well and would love to see a women president in my life time also – but not one who will divide this country and polarize it.
    Please don't throw your brain out with the bathwater.

Support the smartest person in the room
    and we all know who that is – Barak Obama !!!

November 10, 2007 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  24. Steven in Charleston

Pam: So you think Hillary should have left Bill because he lied to the American people, eh?

You say that you don't care who Bill slept with. Well, I don't either. Because frankly it is none of my business, and it wasn't any of the nation's business either, but we collectively decided that we didn't care and were going to butt our heads in anyway. I wish Bill hadn't lied - frankly, I wish he had said, "yes, I slept with that woman and that's between me and wife and none of anyone else's bloody business!" but he didn't and I think we all understand why he didn't. And so while yes, I wish he hadn't lied, we put him in an untenable position and most people probably wouldn't have responded any differently than he did. As for Hillary, she stood by the person she loved and forgave him for his mistake, and I admire her for that - believe it or not, that is a characteristic of strength, not weakness.

But that is not what my post was about. Time and again people post that they don't respect Hillary because she didn't leave Bill, and my response to that to say that HER marriage is HER business, and anyone who says otherwise is a meddling busybody.

November 11, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |