November 10th, 2007

McCain's mom takes on Romney's Mormonism

Sen. McCain and his mother, Roberta, prepare for their interview with Chris Matthews from a New Hampshire hotel room.

(CNN) - The mother of Sen. John McCain criticized the religion of one of her son’s competitors for the Republican presidential nomination Friday night.

When asked about former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s experience by Hardball host Chris Matthews, Roberta McCain, who’s campaigning in New Hampshire with her son at the age of 95, said "as far as the Salt Lake City thing, he's a Mormon and the Mormons of Salt Lake City had caused that scandal. And to clean that up, it's not a subject."

Romney was selected to head up the Salt Lake Organizing Committee for the 2002 Winter Olympic Games after a bribery scandal tarnished the Games.

Sen. McCain, who was seated next to her, raised his eyebrows and flashed a polite grin during her comments.

"The views of my mother are not necessarily the views of mine," McCain chimed in.

“Well, that’s my view. You asked me,” Mrs. McCain followed.

After a commercial break, Sen. McCain further tried to distance himself from his mother’s comments.

“Could I just reemphasize one point? I think Mormons are great people. I think it should in no way be a factor in consideration or lack of consideration for Governor Romney,” he said. “I think it should never be a consideration and I know he will be judged on his record. He’s a fine and decent man and a family man.”

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Desk Editor Mark Norman

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. Tom Langer, Herndon, VA

Why did CNN even air such an interview? I can't believe, that Mr. McCain allows his mother to sit on an interview with Mr. Matthews.

Such a comment from his mother, will only hurt Mr. McCain. I have great respect for Sen. McCains military history, but I dont know about his decisions (bringing his mother along). Who will clean up for him??

America needs a strong president for the future of this great nation.

I definately like Mitt, so what if he is a Mormon, I am sure we are past the Crusades from the Dark Ages.

November 12, 2007 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. Richard, Michigan

Wow. Mrs. McCain is a bigot. I guess her son Johnny just lost what few Mormon votes he might have had.

Maybe she'd like to tell us just HOW the Mormons are responsible for the scandal? I guess in the same way the Catholics are responsible for Teddy Kennedy drowning Mary Jo Kopekne in his car at the bottom of the river.

Sheesh! What an idiotic statement!

November 12, 2007 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. John and Elaine McHann

Can you tell us why CNN has not given due credit to Chris Matthews and MSNBC for the "Mormon" hate renarks made by John McCain's mother. It brought some
    gut awful laughter from Chris Matthews as usual. I recorded it last night so I know it was cut off the end today.

November 12, 2007 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Mark, Canada

I certainly think, as Wer said above, that a candidate's religious beliefs should be a consideration when vcting. Since religions all stipulate behaviour and basic values, they must influence an individuals decisions. That being said, I find it fascinating that people like Wer call Mormonism a cult because it is different than their cult. All religions are cults that are based on blind faith and the abandonment of reason. If you believe in some ridiculous book written by ambitious politicians years ago (eg.the bible, koran..whatever) then you are a deluded fool and have no business running a country.

November 13, 2007 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  5. Jacob, San Diego, CA

Damage done regardless of her apology "off camera". That comment was probably planned like Hillary's planted questions at events. The public heard McCains Mom bash Mormons, and since the media never stands up for the Mormons, the public majority allows the criticism to taint their perception of the religion.
    When will religious bigots give it up? Your just as bad as racists. Slavery ended long ago...but this country was FOUNDED by those seeking religious freedom. If you are STILL bigoted, then leave the country. We're FAR better off without you.
    Of course the Liberal CNN couldn't care less about tainting perception of the Mormons. Even McCain didn't defend Mormons, saying his mother's views weren't "necessarily" his. Own up ya pansy! Take responsibility one way or the other. Agree or disagree. He said that cause he can't commit. Mitt can commit though. Regardless of who caused the Salt Lake Olympic mess...Mitt was BEGGED to fix it. None could have done a better job either, nor could run this country better than Mitt. Rock on Romney!

November 13, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  6. Mohammed, Mequon, WI

hey at least mormonism ain't scientology. Although Jesus appearing to the Aztecs seems a little wacked out to me...
    Go Mrs. McCain

November 13, 2007 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. Viri Hernandez, Tempe AZ

It is a shame when the one country that was founded by Christianity no longer respects the true meaning of religious freedom. We like to think that we are free to choose and pick what ever religion we would like to be but from the looks of it if you choose to be a Mormon well that’s simply the wrong choice. I don’t think that the comment made by Mrs. McCain will affect the elections however it does foreshadow the kind of candidate we have on our hands. Thank you CNN for allowing the whole world to see what kind of candidates are attempting to run our “Free” country. My vote is for Mitt regardless of who was at fault. Were talking the leader of our country be a little more open minded.

November 15, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |