November 10th, 2007

Supporters rally for Ron Paul

Supporters rally for Rep. Ron Paul in Philadelphia on Saturday.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) – Despite the chilly weather, about 1,500 supporters for Ron Paul for President gathered Saturday afternoon for a rally in Philadelphia.

In his speech at Independence Mall, the GOP congressman from Texas spoke off-the-cuff about the growing momentum of his campaign and touched upon familiar topics such as abolishing the Federal Reserve and Internal Revenue Service and ending the war in Iraq.

The rally was held to honor some 250 veterans present, ahead of the Veterans Day holiday on Monday, as well as to spread Dr. Paul's gospel to the Philadelphia area.

The event kicked off to the music of country music star and veteran himself, Rockie Lynn, and closed with the chants and cheers from the crowd of all ages after Paul gave his colorful speech.

The Ron Paul Revolution raised a few eyebrows in Washington earlier in the week when it announced Monday that it raised $4.3 million in just 24 hours.

Related video: Ron Paul gaining momentum

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: Race to '08 • Ron Paul
  1. James, Phoenix AZ

Wow – 1500... really? I am amazed Ron Paul's entire base showed up for a rally. That's dedication!! No wonder he's moving from 4% nationally to almost 5% of the vote nationally.

November 10, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. Lorenz, Queens, NY

Give them hell Ron – You have my support.

November 10, 2007 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  3. Clinton Berry, Atlanta, Georgia

I am really disappointed in CNN and how they first showed a picture of Ron Paul looking confused like he was on drugs and then they showed another one of him like he was mean. I have not seen any of the other candidates portrayed with this lack of dignity and the integrity. This is one reason why I only watch Lou Dobbs, and Cafferty...other than that...CNN is Liberal and biased. Even Pat Robertson gets a better picture???UMMMMMMM

November 10, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Were the 1,500 there to support Ron Paul or to honor the 250 veterans?

Did anyone ask all 1,500 individually the reason for their attendance? Or was this event populated by fans of country music star and veteran himself, Rockie Lynn?

I see the numbers being skewed again CNN.

November 10, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. Mustansir, Pittsburgh, PA

I was there and I can tell you there was WAYY more than 1500 people there! More like 3 times that much, really. As a conservative estimate, there were at least 3000 people there. What I do know for certain is that CNN likes to fudge facts.

November 10, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. David, Provo, UT

Way to go Ron! You have my support!

November 10, 2007 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  7. Christopher Thurow Sr.

Hey Mr. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT this was a rally organized for Dr. Ron Paul!! The 250 vets were there to be honored. One can asssume the vets in attendence are Paul supporters too!

I also like the latest comment: This must be Pauls entire "base". We're just getting cramked up my friend.

November 10, 2007 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. Josh, Nottingham NH

Estimating the size of crowds can be very difficult. 1,500 is the lowest estimate I've seen so far. I've already seen estimates from other media on-site from 2,000 up to 3,500. I believe the capacity of Independence Mall is around 4,000, and it looked at least 80% full to me.

November 10, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  9. Mark Raed, Chattanooga, TN

To hades with them all, vote RON PAUL!

Reclaim
    Our
    Nation

Patriotic
    Americans
    United for
    Liberty

November 10, 2007 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Hey Mr Christopher Thurow Sr.:

"One can asssume the vets in attendence are Paul supporters too!" Um, excuse me, but when 'one assumes' anything, we know what that makes us both out to be, don't we! Again I ask, did anyone actually verify each and every person of this minimally estimated crowd why they were there? Are you telling us that Philidelphians would rather attend a rally for Dr. Paul than HONOR American Veterans? Was that their primary motive for being there? I don't think so. It's like if I invited you to my birthday party, which was yesterday, and said come hear my speech, and while you are there, also will be my father who fought in the Battle Of The Bulge heroically and listen to live music performed by The Rolling Stones, are you going to insult me by telling me you are only coming to listen to my speech, and not to pay respect to my father and for the freebies?

kthxbai

November 10, 2007 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  11. Ron Schnarr, Bryn Athyn, PA

The rally was amazing. There were at least 2,000 and the veterans who were there were cheering louder than anyone else.

Ron Paul is the only canidate who is actually saying something intelligent. The rest of these movie stars playing the politics game are going to be suprised when politician who is sincere and stands for something takes the win.

November 10, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Justin, Pittsburgh PA

Hey James,

Who is your man? I would like to see any other republican candidate with rallies that draw as many supporters as Ron Paul's do.

Unless of course your hillary or obama, then your union forces you to show up.

November 10, 2007 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. Sunshine, Dallas, TX

The writer of this particular blurb does not get Ron Paul.

I get Ron Paul's message and I support him.

November 10, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. MS Johnson City, TN

The question is not if there were 1,500 or 3,500. The question is if there is any other candidate who can attract such a large crowd without media input. No other candidate has been able to do that, and some had to beg for applause even from handful of attendees!

Ron Paul will win the nomination. I said that when he was "polling" 1%. He has a powerful message. He is winning in the 1st District in TN. Will he win 51% of the vote? That my friends is the question.

Regarding his picture, that is the only way left for CNN to damage him without appearing outright biased.

November 10, 2007 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  15. Rachel Farer, Newark, DE

It was far smaller than the 2002 rally for Israel, but I was there and I'm shocked to see an estimate of less than 3,000. Though I couldn't see the edges of the crowd from where I was standing, so I guess my estimate is not very scientific.

Of all the candidates, Republican or Democrat, Ron Paul has shown the most support for our veterans, so it is only natural many support him. Just look at his Congressional record.

Concerning polls, Ron Paul has gone from 2% to 5% in a week, and now he has the funding to advertise more widely. It takes time for a non-establishment campaign to attain critical mass. In the 1992 election, Pat Buchanan did not even start his campaign against incumbent George Bush Sr until this time of the year and still won 37% of New Hampshire. Ron Paul's views are very similar, and by starting earlier and raising more money, he can be bigger. I've never seen Republicans so unenthusiastic about their front-runner. Ron Paul may yet be the candidate conservatives are looking for.

November 10, 2007 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. Liz, Knoxville, TN

Well I do think, since it was a Ron Paul rally, that it is safe to "assume" that the crowd was there for BOTH reasons, to honor the vets AND to support Ron Paul. I also feel it's safe to "assume" (having lived in Philly) that it is unlikely that that many people came out for any other reason. Yes, I did use the word "assume" and despite the joke it does have it's own meaning. Why is it so hard to believe that people actually like the message Ron Paul has? Why is Freedom such a difficult subject for the some to understand? Also, I know for a fact this was not the entire RP supporter base as I wasn't there.

BTW, I find this article, like most of CNN, to portray a fair and unbiased report even if the attendence numbers may be low. It's the comments I find a bit inane.

November 10, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. Jed in Texas

Ron Paul is the only man or woman in this race who isnt trying to throw B.S.He isnt owned by Big Oil,the War machine,Multinational companies. etc.And thats why he wont win Im sorry to say.People would rather have a yellow-bellied draft dodger as long as he looks and talks tough.Well we should know what that gets us by now!As far as Keith is concerned...Go back to reading your copy of "The Pet Goat".I dont think you have a clue.

November 10, 2007 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  18. Chris, Middletown, CT

And soon after this – they all changed into black Nikes and waited for the comet to pick them up – seriously – 90% of his ideas are excellent – the other 10% are fringe and scarey (getting rid of the CIA and FBI – and immediately withdrawing from Iraq – he would be a good guy to go fishing with...in the end (even if you didn't catch anything....you would be able to tell the "and this crazy guy I went fishing with said...." stories)

November 10, 2007 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  19. Christopher Thurow Sr

Hey KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT....

"Maybe" your candidate will have this many show up for his/her rally. They "do" have a rally don't they? They "have" come to Philly? Right? Tell us how many showed up. I say no rally, fewer supporters.

November 10, 2007 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  20. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Chris, Middletown, CT:

Dang I wish I thought of that! Let's go fishing sometime! I have the bait, you obviously have some good lines!

kthxbai

November 10, 2007 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. Christopher Thurow Sr.

Hey Chris, Middletown, CT...

Those numbers you quoted are better than the other 7 Republican candidates having 10% good ideas and 90% fringe and scary. I'll go with your numbers and vote Dr. Paul. Thanks

November 10, 2007 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  22. Heather, Chicago IL

Don't be surprised at the crowd size – just be surprised that this is the first time you are hearing about them. Dr. Paul has been holding rallies all across the nation, almost every weekend since June... and nearly all of them have had at least a thousand people at them. Check out YouTube of the University of Michigan Rally after the Michigan GOP debate – he had nearly 3,000 people there as well. Thus far the media has completely ignored mentioning his massive rally attendance, or seriously downplayed them. If you want to really know the truth, check out Youtube and see for yourself.

November 10, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  23. Sam California

Indeed Chris in CT- it is the 10% fringe positions that ARE dealbreakers for most American voters.

Because no matter how much you might agree with SOME of his positions, and appreciate honesty in a candidate, if RP espouses a strong for or against position on something that is important to you, and his position is abhorent to you, you will NOT vote for him.

It's that simple.

Heck, I was recently reading a forum where RP came up peripherally- and two very strong supporters were shocked and repelled by RP's OWN WORDS AND BELIEFS in a recently RP-written article put up later in the thread by another poster...

So, I ask the supporters:
    HAVE you read ALL his positions?
    ALL OF THEM?

It behooves you to do so before you ask the person in question to run your country and have the highest level of power over the citizens that we can give.

November 10, 2007 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  24. Doug D, California

Hey Keith: The veterans were there in support of Ron Paul, and to be honored by Ron Paul and his supporters. It was a Ron Paul rally, organized by the campaign - not an event Ron Paul attended.

Hey CNN: The crowd was 4,000-5,000 people, not 1,500.

Hey James: Do you know how many Ron Paul supporters there are? 60,000 have volunteered to help his campaign (including me.) Over 36,000 of them donated to his campaign - in just one day, November 5th.

November 10, 2007 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  25. Mark Columbus, Ohio

This guys isn't even worth mentioning in the media. The dude hasn't cracked 5% in the polls – so why does the media pay so much attention to him???

WatchingHillary.com