November 11th, 2007

Giuilani knocks Clinton for waffling

Rudy Giuliani campaigns in Colorado on Saturday.

(CNN) - Leading Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani criticized Hillary Clinton Saturday in Colorado for being indecisive on illegal immigration and Iraq.

“It is the whole shifting positions of Hillary Clinton, which I think has now caught up to her. Hillary Clinton has been doing this for a long time. The driver’s license answer merely displayed what has been going on with Hillary Clinton throughout this entire campaign. She cannot take a position and stick with it,” said Giuliani at a campaign stop in Loveland, Colorado.

“And if you want to go back, you can track six different positions on Iraq and that is a very serious matter,” added Giuliani.

Giuliani was interrupted by 9/11 conspiracy theorists who accused Giuliani of having prior knowledge of the attack on the World Trade Center. As one protester was escorted from the Loveland Coffee Company by police, others continued chanting and carrying signs reading, “911 was an inside job.”

Giuliani dismissed the protesters as being small in number. “After being mayor for eight years, I would consider this kind of a minor four or five person protest. It doesn’t compare to anything I have faced in the past,” said Giuliani.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Desk Editor Marissa Muller

Filed under: Race to '08 • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Brian, Milwaukee WI

Seems to me that the media really criticized Al Gore for exaggerating, often by exaggerating and misquoting what he actually said back in 2000.

Giuliani is the serial exaggerator in the extreme; but, alas no press coverage. E.G. I was at the 9/11 site more than most of the rescue workers, his fictitious 'facts' about prostate cancer care in Great Britain, and etc.... 'Liberal' media at it again!!

Yep. That's why I don't watch any mainstream media anymore. Too 'liberal' for my tastes. Yeah... right. Media controlled by 7 corporations that don't want to pay taxes. Liberal my a**

November 11, 2007 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  2. Anonymous

Giuliani is bad for US

PERIOD

November 11, 2007 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  3. Scott Brown Palm Bay, Florida

Whether your a Democrat or Rupublican at this point it doesn't matter. I think we can all agree it is sad that as a country this is the best we can offer from both parties. Hillary is a socialist and Rudy has nothing to say outside of 9/11 or fighting crime. God help us.

November 11, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  4. Christine Atlanta, Ga.

Shut up Rudy, you hypocritical phoney. I can't wait for the national ads to run with you dressed in drag. Or you at the Republican Convention in '04 saying, "On 911, I thought to myself, thank God, George Bush is our is President". Between Bush and Kerik, so much for your judge of character.

My devout Christian, Republican cousin, sez there is no way he would vote for you. He also wonders what's up with Pat Robertson. I 've got to tell you Buddy, when my evangelical relatives won't vote Republican, your'e in trouble.

November 11, 2007 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  5. Norman Smith,, Sacramento Ca

Recently Giuilani bashed Ron Paul for his comments on why New York suffered the attacks of 9/11. He berated the idea as absurd, when in fact Dr Paul was correct. It scares me that Giuilani rose to national fame over 9/11 without knowing the reason his city was attacked. It appears he will prolong the war to hold onto his 15 minutes of fame.

November 11, 2007 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  6. julie overvig medford,oregon

I think a Biden and Giuliani debate on foreign policy would put a real spotlight on the lack of knowledge Giuliani actually has.

November 11, 2007 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  7. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

"Regardless of who wins,it should be someone who adheres to these principles."

Posted By Ed,Ellenville,New York

And that "someone" is definitely Gov. Mitt Romney.

November 11, 2007 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  8. Richard, West Palm Beach, FL

The unfaithful 3-times-married Giuliani, who spent more time at Yankee games than at the disaster site after 9/11, is the perfect candidate to represent the incredible hypocrisy of his party.

November 11, 2007 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  9. Borassia New York NY

Here a waffle, there a waffle, everywhere a waffle waffle. So what is the big deal. Hey Rudy, why don't run for the Waffle Party.

November 11, 2007 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  10. Ed Johnson, Brooklyn, NY

Well, I finally agree with Guiliani on something. Hilary just doesn't make sense.

November 11, 2007 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  11. Chris, Portland OR

Rudy isn't a legit candidate. Republicans might rally behind him as their best hope but that is pathetic. The guy has zero presidential cred. The only reason anyone in the rest of the country knows who he is or gives a flying F%&$ is because of his involvement in 9/11. That my friends is not enough for me to seriously consider you as our next president (republican or democrat for that matter).

November 11, 2007 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  12. Jaik , chicago, IL

This guy will start WW3. Hillary is another John Kerry, noone really likes her they just think she is the winning side, just like Kerry, its not enough to beat Democrats, she will never beat the GOP, and the result is going to be an imbecile like Guliani trying to posture and bluster us into a catastrophic war.

November 11, 2007 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  13. Bill, California

I will not vote for Hillary...or Rudy. Two peas in the same neocon/neolib warpod.

Noninterventionism now.

November 11, 2007 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  14. Sam, IA

This from Rudy, the waffle house of candidates, Hmm. Is the president married to the american people? If he is we better watch our diets and exercise daily. Any sagging or loss of skin tone could result in Rudy looking for a country with more youthful and sexier citizens.

November 11, 2007 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  15. alan St Louis MO

CLINTON==GIUILANI==STATUS QUA

Those two are the same.

MASTER OF FLIP FLOOPING and talking for hours without saying a thing.

November 11, 2007 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  16. Ray, Rochester

I guarantee all of these 9/11 protesters are Ron Paul plants. That guy's a whack-job.

November 11, 2007 06:07 am at 6:07 am |
  17. Ray, Rochester

Rudy Giuliani is such a punk. This man's record as more checkered than a chest board

Posted By Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM : November 10, 2007 5:15 pm

Hey Tom...It's CHESSBOARD...NOT CHEST BOARD. If you're going to make an idiotic comment at least have it close to being half-right. Lay off the peyote.
    Rudy '08!!!

November 11, 2007 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  18. mark wilkes barre pa

Carol Ann,, If thats the best come back you can muster up in Hillary's defence,,, please don't bother

November 11, 2007 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  19. Dyinglikeflies, New York, NY

All of the people who say Giuliani did a great job in New York are from outside of New York. Those of us here know he was a grandstander who obnoxiously took credit for everyone else's accomplishments, never accepted blame when he was wrong, had poisonous community relations and didn't care, rode his reputation on a declining crime rate which was on the way down locally and nationwide when he got onto office already (and continued going doen long after he left), acted like a spoiled child and made a disgraceful spectacle of himself when he kicked his wife out of their home in public, and then (like Bush) happened to be in office when 9/11 happened- but did nothing himself that really changed anything. Michal Eisner cleaned up Times Square, not Giuliani. I won't even get into the fact that he had no idea how to keep good people working for him, and resented anyone who got better press than him. As for his maturity, if you liked Bush, you'll love Giuliani.

November 11, 2007 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  20. Steven Webb, Wake Forest, NC

Republicans kill me. I like how they like to accuse the Democrats of "flip-floping." They fail to forget that George W. Bush said in the 2000 election that U.S. troops should not be used in nation building. Thats funny what are we doing not very well in Iraq.

Maybe flip-floping is a sign of not being stubborn. Maybe we could use a George W. Bush "flip-flop" in Iraq.

November 11, 2007 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  21. Cody Harding, Kinsley, KS

A man who has went back on his policies about Gun control, abortion, and the war on terror [Remember the 'They will get us' line he said earlier on in the year?], this man has no right to accuse anyone of being inconsistent on issues.

Let's face the facts for this race, people: EVERYONE has faults! Everyone! Political muckraking has been around since the days of our forefathers, and will not go away with time. Every candidate in this race has something to be ashamed about, something to detract...how about we get to looking at what they can bring to the table?

As for Guliani, He is a man who has shown he cannot elect trustworthy advisors, has dropped the ball on many different issues during his tenure, and tries to make up for his own shortcomings by backbiting his opponents instead of improving himself. I for one will not vote for this man as my leader.

November 11, 2007 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  22. Ben Daviss, Walpole, NH

My favorite criticism of Giuliani's against Clinton so far when he ridiculed her for saying that she has more ideas than this country can afford to implement. I wasn't clear if he was ridiculing her for having a lot of ideas (a president shouldn't have too many, Giuliani seems to warn us) or for understanding full well that the country couldn't afford to do everything she'd like (shouldn't worry too much about busting the budget, Giuliani seems to be saying). This criticism seemed to be the same impulsive, clumsy thoughtlessness that Giuliani exhibits over time, from dumping wife after wife to panting after the approval of the authoritarian religious right to his blind support for Bernard Kerick. This shoot-first, think-later (if at all) approach bespeaks someone whose ambition comes before thought. No thanks.

November 11, 2007 07:31 am at 7:31 am |
  23. Karen,ny

Well, I agree with Rudy. She is a waffler and she should never become president. I will never vote for her. I am voting for Joe Biden and that is my final decision and I am sticking with it. If he isn't nominated than I will not vote.PERIOD.

November 11, 2007 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  24. marc from indiana

U.S. officials have attributed much of the decline in violence to success in driving al-Qaeda in Iraq and other Sunni extremist groups from the Iraqi capital.

Looks like we may be bringing the troops home after all. This is because we have won the war. God bless George Bush. I know you 'one issue' democrats really hate to see victory in Iraq at this time, just before the election.

November 11, 2007 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  25. Hank, Fort Myers, FL

You tell them Rudy...That nasty Clinton lady is for abortion...no I think it's the "right to choose", hey Judy...your views are, were, mabye, years ago, months ago, prior to...oh heck Rudy, where are your views on that today anyway????Well–at least you don't waffel like her"""""?

November 11, 2007 08:08 am at 8:08 am |