November 11th, 2007

On the road to Vegas

The CNN Election Express on location near the Colorado-Utah border Sunday.

ONBOARD THE CNN ELECTION EXPRESS (CNN)– We’re out in the middle of the rugged desert in southeastern Utah. I can’t give a town as a locator, because there’s no town for miles around. Grand County is the best I can do.

Utah is considered the most Republican state in the country. President Bush grabbed 72% of the vote here in 2004. The governor and both senators and two of the state’s three house members are Republicans. The last time the Democrats won this state in a presidential election was 1964.

Mormons make up just over 60 percent of Utah’s population.

We started this morning in Grand Junction, Colorado. After a couple of live reports by CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider for our domestic and international networks, we packed up and headed west.

We’re on the road to Las Vegas, where CNN and the Nevada Democratic Party will put on Thursday night’s presidential debate. The national party made Nevada more of player in the presidential primary calendar, moving the state’s caucuses up to mid January. Nevada’s growing Latino population and its large union workforce are two reasons why the Democrats made the move.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: CNN Election Express • Nevada • President Bush
  1. Nik Kripalani, San Diego, CA

I live in San Diego, CA and I am a working Amercian/Hindu. I would really apperciate it if everyone would conserve electricty, use solar and wind power for enviormental purposes.
    I am sick and tired of not getting good health coverage also. If I was 35 years old for example, I would make the people voice there anger at the Vice President and President. President ignores the Democrat Congress
    Healthcare is a big issue and so is immgration. I am an Amercian and my family has lived her for thirty one years. I have always wanted to voice my opinon on CNN, you should have a newsday for Young Adults in San Diego with Disabiltes.

November 11, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. R.A. Reno, NV

Before you get to Vegas would you make sure the CNN team knows how to pronounce the state's name? You guys keep screwing it up.

November 11, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Mrs. America

I am really looking forward to the debate monitored by Wolf Blitzer on Thursday. Wolf Blitzer is one of the few "old school" news people left. That means he acts like a newsman instead of a star. I hope he's as forthright with the candidates in expecting straight answers as he is in general interviews.

Someone mentioned the state name Nevada and how CNN messes up the pronunciation. It's Spanish and if held to Spanish pronunciation, would be being pronounced incorrectly by most people. However, acceptable pronunciation is dictated by the way most people talk and origin and correctness get left behind. "Celtic" is a good example of how a sports team essentially changed the U.S. pronunciation of a word.

November 11, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. PollM, Dallas Tx

Barack Obama on 'Meet the Press' with Tim Russert , today claims that: more importantly, it's not just a matter of winning, it's about can you create a new working majority for change. With that in mind,

Who do you believe among the Democratic Nominees can create a New Working Majority to transform the political landscape?

November 11, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. Margaret Walker - Scottsdale, AZ 85258

This is a question I wish one of the moderators would ask the candidates in the upcoming debate:

Much has been written lately about our broken government(see John Dean's book BROKEN GOVERNMENT and Schwartz and Huq's UNCHECKED AND UNBALANCED.) President Bush has used signing statements more than any other President as a tool of executive power. Do you believe signing statements give the President extraordinary Constitutional power and put the President above the law? Would you, as President, use signing statements? Under what circumstances?

November 11, 2007 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  6. Mike, Atlanta, GA

Why is the bus miles from the nearest town? Should it not be where the people are?

November 11, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  7. KEITH JAMES LOUTTITk

Dear Mrs. America:

thank you for reminding us how things can change even the little nuances of daily life!

Also, I would like to apologize for the way we have been screwing up your country, and seemingly acting like we should be entitled to respect without earning it worldwide.

Please accept my apology, and remember, we are not all misguided and worthless, only that the greedy and selfish actions of some of our wannabe hopefuls have made us look like idiots to your neighbors.

November 11, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. KEITH JAMES LOUTTITk

Is this really working?

November 11, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  9. richard,Derry, NH

Before you get where you are going can we have some clue of the next question that will make candidates bash each other? Clinton owns this network and she that way is rightful to shape the questioning of this debate...

November 11, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  10. Karen,ny

KEITH..I don't know exactly what you are trying to say, but I am asking for your help now. This is very hard to know how to do this about this because I don't know what to do, honestly. Yes, I have gotten upset really bad, but I don't know how to get this out. I am afraid not to be angry.

November 11, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |