November 11th, 2007

Poll: Clinton, Giuliani lead Florida

(CNN) - With less than three months before the presidential primary, a new Florida poll shows Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Rudy Giuliani with strong leads over their rivals.

The St. Petersburg Times/Bay News 9 poll shows Clinton with a 24-point lead over her closest competitor, Barack Obama. This lead may be difficult to close in on, since most of the Democrats are not actively campaigning in Florida after the conflict over Florida’s early presidential primary.

Clinton is overwhelming favored with 48 percent, compared to 24 percent for Barack Obama. Eight percent favored former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards and four percent supported Joe Biden.

The telephone poll of 800 registered Florida voters was conducted from Nov. 4-7. The margin of error was plus or minus 5.3 percentage points for the Democratic primary poll and 5.5 percentage points for the Republican primary poll.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Assignment Editor Marissa Muller

1. Fred Seattle

Well wait until the General..she's going for the "hat trick" Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. How sweet it is..

Hilary 2008-2016

November 11, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  2. Lenbarry, Ft Lauderdake, Florida

Go Clinton All the Way To The White House!!!

November 11, 2007 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  3. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

"Among Republican voters, Giuliani leads with 17-points, while former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson slipped in numbers. The poll showed him in fifth place with 8 percent support, behind former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, with 9 percent, Arizona Sen. John McCain with 12 percent, Mitt Romney with 19 percent and Giuliani with 36 percent."

Wait a second here, does Rudy have 36 points or 17?

November 11, 2007 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

American voters are smarter than some of candidates. Twice mistake is enough, no more wrong person in White House.

November 11, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. fair,washington,dc

So what now haters....all these people just gonna change their minds after Iowa and NH.. or let me guess... polls don't matter ..thas an old reliable response...I guess thats your dream...don't let me spoil it for you...hold on to your dreams...Hillary08

November 11, 2007 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  6. lee, syracuse, ny

Yes, Hillary also have a big lead over Obama in south carolina, north carolina, maryland, new york, nevada, CA, PA, OH......

November 11, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. Mike Nakagita, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Surprising support for Hillary given that she will not campaign in the state. Is the Hillary campaign manipulating the numbers? No, how could that be ?

November 11, 2007 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  8. Mike Nakagita, Green Bay, Wisconsin

So 800 Americans who are too stupid to hang up the phone when they don't know the caller are backing Hillary in the majority. The planet deserves better than that.

November 11, 2007 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  9. JD Rugby ND

Hillary Giuliani, 'top tier' candidate of the Republocrat party, will not end Bush's war of terror in Iraq. There is still too much wealth to transfer to the corporations making profits from the blood of Americans and Iraqis. Politicians like Rudy Clinton and most of those in our House and Senate are too closely tied to big business to serve the interest of 'we the people'. They must serve their corporate financiers. Nothing will change should the candidate from New York be 'elected' as the president.

November 12, 2007 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  10. Ruth Bethinger, NYC

It is irrelevant what the democratic poll shows in Florida because Florida will receive no delegates for the democratic primary because they violated the DNC's primary election rules. No candidates are campaigning there, so any differences in the polls there are completely due to name recognition.

November 12, 2007 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  11. Wade Enns, Spokane Washington

MITT ROMNEY IS THE MAN TO WATCH. Amercia is warming up to Mitt Romney.

November 12, 2007 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  12. New Dork, New York

Go Hillary! You are the smarterest, prettyist, articulite, most intelligence, pursonable American woman. Eye luv U. Please wins the polls so my children can eat. Save us from mean RepubliKins. Sign a law that make it illigel for the sun to heat my planet and coz klimat changes. Make me some healthcare to. You are our latest hope, help us Obi-Wan. I am glad that haters think you are so cold hearted, just mean you can combatt klimat changes.

U GO gurl1 Hillary 2008 we luv U.

November 12, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  13. Jeff, Boston Ma

Help Me Hillary! I am so incompetent. My life is a complete failure. I live in a trailer, I broke the law and crossed the boarder and am too fat and lazy to get a job. Luckily YOU will make it all better for me so that I don't have to (pass the BEER). Now I can make some hard working doctor give me free health care. Heck, you will probably let me move into his house. Make him give me a flat screen tv too will ya? I love democrats!

November 12, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  14. Seam, Philly PA

This State will probably ruin the next election.

November 12, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. Anonymous - San Antonio - Texas

Yeah Clinton! Clinton is the best! She has made become so involved in this. Never before have I felt such passion. The passion of getting our country back on track. Clinton 2008.

November 12, 2007 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  16. Chris, Pensacola FL

No, they do not.

November 12, 2007 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  17. karen nj

Clinton and Guiliani seem to leading in every poll. But don't rule out Obama

November 12, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. Salita

(Help Me Hillary! I am so incompetent. My life is a complete failure.)

ROTFL, u sound like a 5 yr old having a tantrum because you cant have your way.

( I live in a trailer, I broke the law and crossed the boarder and am too fat and lazy to get a job.)

You make it sound soooo simple. HOWEVER given the current situation with the US economy I would say you are in the same boat with white collar americans.

This is a very silly argument. if it is paid for with TAX dollars FOR citizens who pay TAXES (40K-60K) it isnt FREE! It amazes me citizens will pay for the health care of other countries(IRAQ) but wont pay for it for their fellow american citizens! By the way the pay they want to implement is the same health plan WE PAY FOR to the US Congress! Ask yourself why your republicans in congress take FREE health care but refuse to let YOU have it? AFTER ALL IT IS OUR MONEY!

November 12, 2007 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  19. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

Hillary Clinton is pursuing history and is running a textbook campaign. With the maestro at her side, Hillary is looking unstoppable. It will take a major faux pas or an indelible misspeak for her to lose this now. It does not matter who the republican nominee is because the DEMs will win this in a landslide.

November 12, 2007 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |