November 12th, 2007
1 year ago

Bill Clinton: 'Boys have been getting tough' on Hillary

Clinton campaigned for his wife in South Carolina Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton continued to weigh in Monday on intensified criticism of his wife, telling a South Carolina audience, "those boys have been getting tough on her."

"It's a great time to be a Democrat," the former president told students in Charleston, South Carolina. "Even though those boys have been getting tough on her lately, she can handle it."

The comments are in reference to the heat Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, has taken since a Democratic presidential debate two weeks ago when she appeared to hedge on a question about drivers’ licenses for illegal immigrants.

Bill Clinton also came to his wife's defense last week, linking the current criticism of her debate performance to the "swift boat" television ad campaign aimed at then presidential candidate John Kerry in 2004 and an ad in 2002 questioning then-Sen. Max Cleland's patriotism. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, later said he was "stunned" by that comparison and Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Connecticut, called "it over the top."

Clinton has repeatedly said her rivals are teaming up against her because she is leading in polls, not because she is the lone female presidential candidate.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton • South Carolina
  1. J. Mckinney SW MO

I am having trouble understanding the people who are too thick skulled to understand that Hillary IS NOT able to release the records–it has been stated by people in charge of that,that they are government records, so the Clintons CAN NOT just "drag a few boxes out of the basement and hand them over" or whatever you birdbrains expect.
    And the people who want her to answer YES or NO to the immigration thing. Good grief, folks, this isn't a question about what we will allow at the next cub scout meeting. This is the whole U.S. There are a LOT of questions that can't be answered with a yes or no as to what a candidate will do in a year and a half if they get elected. Alot can happen in that time. It would be incredibly irresponsible of them to give a yes or no.
    I respect Hillary's intelligence on this, but it scares me that the IQ of a lot of the voters (if we can judge by some of the posts on here) seem to be too low to see a lot of this.
    We need Hillary, and she is the one with the plans. Obama and Edwards are the ones who only know how to attack her, rather than giving their plans.
    I pray we get Hillary for president–I don't know what will happen to the USA if we don't. We may be too far gone for even her and Bill to straighten out this mess.

November 12, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. E. C., Houston, Texas

WHAT A FARCE.....Billy Boy Taking Up and Defending Poor Little Ole Indecisive Hillary? How sad; did she cry? Of Course, it's perfectly fine and O.K. when she tears into the President of the United States, disrespects him and insults him to his face... and calls him stupid! WHO does she think she is? Hillary is finally getting back the 'venom she's been spewing' to 'those boys.' Hillary is not intelligent enough to be President of this country; she just 'thinks' she is smart. Yes, Hillary is a 'smart-alec.' SAVE US FROM HILLARY!

November 12, 2007 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. sgtlejeune

I sincerely hope that Hillary will not get the democratic nomination. If she does, we will have a republican in the White House, whether she wins or loses. Hillary does not represent the greater majority of democrats, and she is the favorite democrat of the republican party.

November 12, 2007 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  4. Kenneth Brown, San Jose, CA

November 12, 2007 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. Nick, Eden Praire MN

I been reading a lot of stories and no body has not give me a good reason why I shouldn't vote for Hillary. It like watching soap TV shows. Sad part if people look at history of political same old story over again. Where are the real stories on fix of the USA. Hillary been pop up with the right answers all long. She has my vote until I start reading real stories why I shouldn't?
    Posted By Lee Paul Columbus Ohio : November 12, 2007 5:55 pm

You mean voting for the Iraq war, voting for the Patriot act, voting to all the Iranians terrorists which will help bush push for spreading the war there, AND taking money from lobbyists isn't good reason not to vote for her? Man, you are easy to please.

November 12, 2007 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Celeste Johnson Pinole, cA

Hillary Clinton is one of the most dedicated public servants we have. She will make a wonderful President. She is clearly the smartest of the field and I will be delighted to vote for her.

You all are nuts.

November 12, 2007 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. MarkieBee, Sacramento, Calif.

To Chris in Connecticut: Rudy will end what exactly? The rule of law? The national security? The system of check and balances? His own political career?

To J. McKinney in Mo.: Go to barackobama.com and research every policy Obama has, everything he wants to do for the country. Listen to his speeches and you'll hear and see the same thing. Attacks? You haven't seen any attacks from Obama. All he did was ask about her claim that she has more experience than he does, which is false since he has almost twice as much elected legislative experience than Hillary does. Also, it was Hillary that ORDERED her records sealed until 2009. Why did she do that if she has nothing to hide and there's evidence of all her "experience" she gained during BILL CLINTON's two terms.

November 12, 2007 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. Bruce Bryant, Escondido, CA.

She had better get accostumed to it. This is nothing but verbal abuse compared to the tough decision making required by the Executive Branch. I can understand a automatic response to defend his wife, but as the old saying goes "If the Cook Can't Stand the Heat, Best to Get Outta The Kitchen".

November 12, 2007 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  9. Lee, syracuse, ny

The boys are getting tough on Hillary because she is far ahead of them in polls, which does hurt these boys' ego.
    They gang up together because they share a common trait: losers.

Instead of talking about their own policies and the republican problems, they join together to condemn Hillary's policies. Meanwhile, they are lucky that Hillary does not reciprocate their attack tactics; otherwise their policies would fail miserably under scrutiny.

In the end, these boys will still be immature boys and fall aside next January. They will have to answer to their moms and their supporters.

Hillary will chew them all, spit them out, and will be nominated by being the top of the heap.

November 12, 2007 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. Steve in SC

If you think that's tough, how tough will world leaders be IF she is president? Will Bill attempt to call them off her as well? She is not ready to be president. Bill comes to the rescue too often!

November 12, 2007 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. Ed,Ellenville,New York

I'm looking forward to a Clinton/Guiliani matchup,she's more man than he is and he's just a democrat pretending to be a republican. And Chris,calling her supporters Hillidiots makes you look worse than them. You really need to get behind Rudy instead of making yourself look like his behind. I know you think you're doing something for him,but you're not. Try acting like you're voting age. I'm getting embarrassed having you on my team. You are old enough to vote aren't you? My apologies if not.

November 12, 2007 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  12. Ron, TX

Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong Il, the Republicans, they aren't exactly going to GO EASY on Hillary! Is that the Clinton's only excuse for Hillary's poor performance over the past two weeks?

How utterly rediculous... that's not how a President handles attacks. "I'm just a woman! All the guys are being mean to me!" That message will not fly with the world arena.

November 12, 2007 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  13. Bob,nevada

Bill, do me a favour, sit down and shut up!

November 12, 2007 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  14. Henry Tucker, Ga

When Bush-Bashers get a small taste of their own medicine (negative remarks about Hillary), here is what they write:

"Hasn't anyone noticed what a horrifically stupid, incompetent, lazy, and dishonest president we currently have? I bet most of the emails are from Bush supporters or at least from those stupid enough to have voted for him twice. Back off Clinton. She outranks Bush by leaps and bounds when it comes to experience, intelligence, competence, education, and leadership. If you don't believe me, then take a look at what she has accomplished as a Senator and for her wonderful work with women's and children's rights around the world. I just think your all just jealous of her success as a woman.

Posted By Kenneth Brown, San Jose, CA : November 12, 2007 6:10 pm
    ---

Just like Hillary... they can dish it but can't take it. Yall just aren't ready for prime-time, Ken.

November 12, 2007 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. Janet, Fairfax, VA

"It amazes me how everyone is on the "Hillary bashing" bandwagon. Hasn't anyone noticed what a horrifically stupid, incompetent, lazy, and dishonest president we currently have? I bet most of the emails are from Bush supporters or at least from those stupid enough to have voted for him twice. Back off Clinton. She outranks Bush by leaps and bounds when it comes to experience, intelligence, competence, education, and leadership. If you don't believe me, then take a look at what she has accomplished as a Senator and for her wonderful work with women's and children's rights around the world. I just think your all just jealous of her success as a woman."

**************

Oh, brother. Yeah, she was a shining example for women victimized by their spouses. Then she did all she could to shut up any woman who charged Billy with transgressions. Women's rights indeed!

November 12, 2007 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  16. Tex Mex, NYC, NY

There he goes again!!!!

November 12, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  17. Karen, NYC

Bill is 'tough' defined as; requiring Hillary tells the truth?

Should we allow her to lie to the American people like you did?

November 12, 2007 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  18. Jim

Well, if Bill thinks the "guys" have been hard on his wife, then he should remember how "hard" he was on the gals during his term.

November 12, 2007 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  19. Matt Sutton, Medford Oregon

Boys?

That is a pretty disrespectful comment.

November 12, 2007 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. Dick Clifton, Longboat Key, FL

Can you believe anything this man has to say? What a joke and now Seantor Clinton said I didn't know anything about it? doesn't it sound familar? We don't know anything about anything.

November 12, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  21. Bob, Roxboro, NC

Better the challengers are tough on Hillary than Hillary being tough on Americans and their families.

Besides, she shouldn't need Bill to do her arguing for her if she has the mettle to lead the most powerful nation on earth. ( At least this year! )

November 12, 2007 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  22. Bob, Charlottesville, VA

Hillary is a particularly gifted liar. But make no mistake, she's an ultra liberal who has worked hard to portray herself as moderate the past 5 years. What a joke.

November 12, 2007 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. Karen, NYC

Everyone leave Hillary alone. You all know she can't handle the basic pressure of answering questions truthfully. Remember, she's a Clinton...

November 12, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. PSF, Kansas City, MO

Beware of CNN (Clinton News Network) as they fully support only the Democrat agenda. Most reporters are Democrats. I guess I would be too if I chose a low paying job over starting my own company and paying most of the taxes to support the socialist Democrats.

November 12, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. jmaya, iowa

All boys who are running for president look and act like they are in high school foot ball team anyway. Who cares what they say to Hillary! As a Hillary supporter they will never able to change my mind to vote for them. Edward spend whole life sucking poor people's life as a trial lawyer and Obama is really really a hype, ten teenagers vote not going to make him president. He is not making a movie for Hollywood. I will never every vote for OBAMA AND EDWARD EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN DEMOCRAT FOR MY LIFE.

November 12, 2007 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |