November 12th, 2007

Obama: We don't plant questions

Watch Sen. Obama's remarks about Sen. Clinton's planted question.

(CNN) - At a press conference in Nashua, New Hampshire Monday , Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, refused to directly criticize Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, after reports that her campaign staff had planted at least one question at a town-hall-style event last week.

But Obama still made a subtle dig apparently aimed at Clinton, one of his chief rivals for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination .

“I’ll let Sen. Clinton answer for her campaign,” Obama told reporters. “When I go into a town hall meeting, I never know what questions to expect and that’s a good thing because the people of New Hampshire should expect that their candidates are going to hear what’s on the voters’ minds and not what’s been concocted by the candidate’s staff."

After saying that he has sometimes received questions on the campaign trail that have stumped him, Obama said planting questions is “not a practice that we’ve ever engaged in and it’s not a practice that we ever plan to engage in.”

Related: Watch Clinton's controversial question

Related: Democratic rivals respond to Clinton's planted question

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

1. mici, dayton oh

Obama is one the more honest of the politicians out there it's true. But that doesn't make him Presidential material.

November 13, 2007 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  2. rj, houston, tx

After the last quasi-debate, we learn that CNN plants questions. And they are fluffballs for Hillary at that. I guess they were scared straight after Russert heard from the Clinton machine. Wolf didn't want his balls handed to him by Darth Vader Hillary.

November 17, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  3. randy ross, woodlands, tx

Obama might not plant questions but now we know CNN does. Diamonds or pearls? You've got to be kidding!

November 17, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. David

One thing I like with Obama is that he is not using campaigns to control the voters’ mind, which is very ridiculous and disrespectful to smart voters like you and me. He is not a fake guy. He is like the one who says “I am showing the voters my position and let the voters themselves select their president for their good”.

Good! Obama keep your self-control. You are a man of unselfishness.

January 9, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  5. Tom Martin, Texas

Obama could possibly be a plant, not a Muslim plant, but a Democratic plant. What I mean is this; The Democrats want desprately for Hillary to be the Democratic presidential canidate, therefore it may be possible that sometime in the future, the Democrats will make VERY public the fact that Obama is a Muslim, his father was a Muslim and his mother is an atheist and Obama belongs to a radical, racist, church. This will cause the Obama supporters to desert him and join Hillary's supporters therby allowing Hillary to tiptoe into the Whitehouse and become our commander-in-chief.

Wow! that is scary.

I guess we will find out in the future

Tom