November 12th, 2007

Thompson scores National Right to Life endorsement

Thompson has scored a big endorsement.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – GOP presidential hopeful Fred Thompson will get the endorsement of the National Right to Life Committee, three GOP sources tell CNN.

The formal announcement, which will take place at 10 a.m. ET Tuesday in Washington, is a much needed boost for Thompson’s campaign, which is suffering from low poll numbers and criticism the candidate lacks enough fire in the belly to win.

Thompson came into the race late with the hope of winning over social conservatives unsatisfied with the rest of the GOP field. Although polls and anecdotal evidence suggest he’s failed to excite those conservatives, he is making a big push to play up his conservative credentials on the stump and in a TV ad - especially his anti-abortion views and voting record in the Senate.

Thompson has, however, faced criticism from some conservatives for what they see as conflicting statements, like saying last week he does not support the plank in the Republicans party platform since Ronald Reagan was president that calls for an anti-abortion constitutional amendment. Thompson said he hopes Roe v. Wade will be overturned, but that in general he believes abortion laws should be left up to the states.

The National Right To Life Committee boasts affiliates in all 50 states with over 3,000 local chapters nationwide. Although some GOP strategists say its grassroots power may not be as strong as it was in the past, it will likely mobilize some crucial support for Thompson’s campaign.

– CNN's Dana Bash, John King, and Mark Preston

Filed under: Fred Thompson • South Carolina
  1. John from America

"The Lights are on but nobody's home"

Look at "old" Freddie and see if that's who you would trust to run our government. Scary thought!!!!!!!

November 12, 2007 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  2. John from America

Well – looks like CNN has decided to "moderate" our thoughts – OK. Well my original comment is that Fred looks out of touch. Perhaps a bit aged and jaded! Is that moderated enough?

November 12, 2007 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  3. John from America

My comments are being edited and restricted by CNN so – all I can say is that Fred is a loser!

November 12, 2007 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  4. Angela, Cleveland, OH

Abortion is a story as old as time. In biblical times, women used sticks, herbal remedies etc. many times the woman also died. Medieval times – she went to the “woman in the woods” for a potion, threw herself down the stairs, again a stick etc. What were her chances? And so it went. Flash forward to “modern” times….a coat hanger, a med student needing money or a drunken doctor who has lost his license. It was all this time forbidden to women to decide, make her decision in safety. All those young girls, no matter how well brought up, or not… could not tell their parent(s) and risked their lives. It went on and on and on. Against the law did not stop the procedure. It will not stop because the story just keeps repeating itself over and over. It is not about abortion, it is about control.

November 12, 2007 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  5. Angie, West Virginia

The National Right to Life got it right this time. Fred Thompson appeals to real people. Politicians don't like him because he's not part of the establishment and the media doesn't like him because they know he has the BEST chance at beating Hillary. Fred is 100 percent concervative, but has crossover appeal too.

November 12, 2007 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. aj huntington, ny

please, American John. It's not all about you- many comments don't make the cut.

November 12, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. Trang, Fremont, CA

On the Republican side:
    My first choice – Ron Paul
    My second choice – Huckabee
    My third choice – Mitt Romney
    Juliani – too scary – as much as Hillary. Unfortunatly, these two rank as #1 on the polls.

Must be frustrating for Republicans to see Juliani as #1 (very liberal) as Democrats to see Hillary as #1 (very hawkish).

November 12, 2007 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  8. David, Austin, Tx

Well, that clinhes it. Right to Life has been co-opted. I guess I have made my last contribution to them.

November 13, 2007 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  9. Don't vote for hate

Has he filed suit for defamation of character yet?

November 13, 2007 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  10. Hugh DePayen

Ah, yes! Some people in this country are still calling abortion a woman’s right to choose. I thought the right to choose consisted of such things as what book to read, or what movie to see on a Saturday night. I thought choice was what to order from the menu when you go out to eat; should I order steak or chicken? I think I’ll have the steak. Should I order medium rare or raw? Should I buy that new SUV in black or midnight blue? Whom should I vote for in ’08?

So, it’s perfectly ok for a woman to go around having sex and then get an abortion when she finds out that she is pregnant and doesn’t want the kid? So let me pose this little question. Is it okay for a woman to get rid of her two year old who is getting into everything, driving her nuts and depriving her of what ever? Don’t think so. So why is it okay for a woman to dispose of an unborn child but not acceptable for her to rid herself of the one that is living and breathing?

I find it fascinating that this country will harangue China, North Korea or some other country concerning their human rights record, or lack thereof. But abortion? I guess a fetus is not eligible for human rights. It must be some age thing.

Abortion is nothing more than murder. I wonder how long it will be before the abortion count surpasses 6 million. To all those who support abortion, I salute you. Sieg heil!

November 13, 2007 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  11. Kate, Aurora CO

In response to those who said my logic was flawed and I support killers over babies. Firstly as far as my own position goes I believe it is the woman's choice whether to have an abortion or not. It is not my place to pass judgment on anyone. That being said I myself would not have an abortion. I was one of those babies some of you state you would take care of. My birth mother was 17 and after two years of abuse with her I was removed from the sate and placed in a Catholic run group home. Problem is I spent nearly 6 years in the group home being abused by the workers. Secondly, I believe it is up to GOD to judge not me. I cannot tell a 13 year old rape victim to keep the baby, I cannot tell an incest victim she must keep the baby and neither can you. It is not up to the government to pass laws telling people what they can or cannot do with their bodies and if they want to become a parent or not. I do not place the lives of murderers over children. I simply do not understand why pro-lifers seem to want to rescue the cute innocent babies but then not claim any responsibility for them once out of the womb. How many children in this nation are uninsured and not getting the proper healthcare? How many children in this nation are obsese and becoming diabetic? How many children are not getting a valued education due to poorly funded public schools? How many children are victims of abuse due to the abusers being let out of jail on third and fourth convictions? How many children are sitting in a group home waiting to be adopted only to be thrown out at 18 years old? I believe if you are going to rally so hard to protect the lives of newborn babies then you should work just as hard at ensuring that child has the best quality of life after birth as well.

November 13, 2007 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  12. Jeff Badura East Hartford CT

Kate in Aurora

I'm sorry to hear of you difficult upbringing, and yes many fixes are needed but regardless abortion is wrong,

back to reason and logic finding fault in one aspect is not a good reason to allow fault everywhere !! if you read these post they complain about Iraq of child health-care and blah blah blah but the point is still the same 'abortion is wrong' its point blank wrong and using other perceived wrongness to advocate it, is a lib shell game,

saying its none of your business is irresponsible !! for it is your business, when billboards asks "'are you pregnant ? are you scared ?" and then gives a number were they are selling abortion for profit ??? when a woman can abort a child without informing her husband than it is all our business,

Abortion is barbaric and it will go the same way slavery did........as a sad case of human inhumanity towards themselves and history will ridicule our culture for the 45 million murdered so far and counting !!

Genocide is described as an act of killing 10% or more of a population and we abort 25% of our unborn here in the USA ..............shame on us all !!!

November 13, 2007 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  13. Jim Topeka, Kansas

Gee, my stance is rather simple, I am not pro-abortion I never see myself in the position to need one. But then again it's not my decision to make. When abortions were not avaiable in clean medical faculities they were still preformed and women died needlessly of infection and blood lose.

So if you are a true and blue pro-lifer then I say don't get an abortion, and by the way, mind your own buisness.

As to the fact that most pro-lfers also appear to be in favor of the death penalty, I can not confirm this, but then again if someone is guilty of a truley horiffic crime deserving of the death peanlty, which do you think serves justice, making them live with what they have done and be reminded daily for the rest of their life what they have done, or giving them the cowards way out and awarding and eye for and eye justice, so you feel better.

Now as far as Fred Thompson goes, Fred this is reverse advise most actors get, I hope you did not quit your acting job.

November 13, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |