November 12th, 2007

When flag poles attack

Clinton had to contend with falling flag poles at a press conference Monday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - She has come under increased heat recently from her Democratic presidential rivals, but on Sunday Sen. Hillary Clinton was on the receiving end of a different kind of attack - falling flag poles.

The Democratic presidential frontrunner was wrapping up a press conference in Waterloo, Iowa when several large flag poles directly behind her started to fall down, as shown on a video posted by ABC News.

Aides came rushing to the stage as Clinton herself tried to handle the falling flags crashing around her.

"I think the bases are not weighted enough," the New York senator can be heard saying on video captured by ABC.

After a couple minutes, the flags were successfully stabilized.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. TC Minneapolis MN

It's a sign! She's anti-American, so the flags just fell right on her. No room for socialist rhetoric in this country.

November 12, 2007 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. Captain America

She must've have said the word BUSH, that not not only makes Flags fall, but economies, budget surpluses, employment rates, and the truth fall.

November 12, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. A. Harrison, Atlanta GA

If you found this funny, grow up.

November 12, 2007 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  4. Randy, Scottsdale, AZ

Apparently only Republicans read CNN online.

November 12, 2007 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. cameron hinz lonsdale mn

'ello chaps

November 12, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. Lorenz, Queens, NY

Oh the IRONY

November 12, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. Marc, Williamsburg, VA

SERIOUSLY... How is this news? And why are you creating deceptive headlines that do not pertain to actual events? Maybe I missed the part of the video that shows the flags falling on Ms. Clinton, I don't know!

November 12, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. Tony, Tulsa, OK

Yeah assuming this is an omen is the same kind of magical thinking people engage in when they think Barack Obama will be the messiah of the Democratic party.

November 12, 2007 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. Dan, TX

This is total nonsense. How can anyone criticize Clinton for this?

Although I plan to vote for Obama, these silly, meaningless non-events have no business on the CNN "Political" Ticker.

November 12, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. ELEEANOR FREEMAN

WELL HAVE READ ALL THE COMMENTS AND I THINK YOU ARE WRONG BY TRYING TO PULL THE RUG FROM UNDER HILLARYS FEET. LIKE I SAID BEFORE I WON'T VOTE FOR SOMEONE THAT PLAYS DIRTY POOL.BETTER THINK TWICE BEDORE YOU TRY TO GET HILLARY DOWN. I DON'T THINK SHE WILL GO DOWN. PEOPLE MAKE FUN LIKE KINDERGARDENERS. FOR SHAME

November 12, 2007 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Mike, Owosso, Michigan

It sounds like some of the above readers try to make something out of nothing. Like everytime they take a dump they have to take a close look at it and find a political overtone in it that makes their candidate look good.

November 12, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. Rodney Dallas TX

Before even reading the comments, I already new what the viewers were saying. You Clinton haters are soooo easy to read. The flag poles fell because whoever set them up did a lousy job.

November 12, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I usually don't post comments to this boards, but this is the biggest waste of time in reporting that I have ever seen. Can we get some real news besides flags falling on people and Paris Hilton, and Britney Spears?

November 12, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  14. John, Euless, TX

You Right Wing Nut Jobs can stick with you "Omens". Hillary is the best candidate for the job....PERIOD.

November 12, 2007 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  15. Rodney Dallas TX

You know, people often say the 90's were horrible yet Bill Clinton left the White House with a 65% approval rating. That's more than JFK, Reagon, and elder Bush. What exactly was so bad when over half the country approved of him?

November 12, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. Ben Schrag, Maryville MO

Thank you all for all of the very funny posts.

I wasn't sure what to make of this upcoming election cycle, but now that the symbolic nature of these events have been pointed out to me, I have radically changed my thoughts on the candidates.

I do have one question: Should I assume that candidates who AREN'T nearby falling flags automatically SHOULD be president? I mean, it's great that the flags are participating more in American politics, but they seem to be waffling a bit. They clearly do not want Senator Clinton, but who DO they want? They've been seen with so many other candidates, it's a little hard to know...

CNN, have you considered conducting a serious of in-depth interviews with American flags in order pin them down on a specific endorsement???

November 12, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. muthoni,boston,ma

just another symbol on how unstable you are, falling to the direction the wind is falling...mmmmmh those flags must be piling on you too...
    This is happened in Iowa and guess that is a bad omen for hillary as a state that will determine her fate. I don't trust you gal just give up!
    Gitahi, what do you make of this down there in tx?
    Obama 08!

November 12, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. Jason, Atlanta, GA

Drudge, FOX news and every Republican is praying to God that Hillary falters...b/c they have no answer for her. Obama and Edwards they crush. What Republican will vote for Obama? He's for gun control, will raise taxes, loves illegals....let me stop. Another media generated candidate that's not ready for the White House.

November 12, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

No comment needed here.

Think it is fairly self-explanatory.

November 12, 2007 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  20. Phil Chicago, Ill

Posted By John, Euless, TX : November 12, 2007 3:10 pm

LOL – when conservatives comment about the irony of Hillary's misfortune, we're "nutjobs". When liberals suggest Bush/Cheney planned 9/11 – THEY'RE the sane ones?

November 12, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. Rory, Savannah GA

How is this news again?

November 12, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Rodney Roanoak, VA

I think if I were an American Flag – I would finding a way out of a Hillary speech too!

November 12, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Brent, St. Paul, MN

"Aides came rushing to the stage" Umm, no. There were a couple people there and they reached out and steadied some flags. They just sort of limply fell–nothing came "crashing down."

Classic case of "make a story out of NOTHING."

November 12, 2007 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Hillary 08

It's ALL Bush's Fault!!!!!

November 12, 2007 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. K, New Jersey

Good lord, the omen seekers are falling flat in their 'witty' comments.

And Bush choked on a pretzel...just like he choked at running the country. We can find cheap jokes all around.

November 12, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |