November 13th, 2007

GOP candidate defends ad depicting terrorist attack

Watch Tancredo defend his controversial ad in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer .

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Rep. Tom Tancredo is standing by his new television ad depicting a terrorist attack on an American mall, saying it portrays a real threat.

"Yes, they are coming, they are coming through our porous borders, and yes, they are coming to do us great damage," the Colorado Republican told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Tuesday. "I don't know why anybody would not think this is true."

The 30-second ad, set to begin running on Iowa cable stations this week, depicts a hooded man walking into a crowded mall with a backpack. Over the sound of a ticking clock, the man abandons the backpack at a bench, and an explosion is heard.

"There are consequences to open borders beyond the 20 million aliens who have come to take our jobs," the ad's narrator says. "Islamic terrorists now freely roam U.S. soil. Jihadists, who froth with hate, here to do as they have in London, Spain and Russia."

Full story

Earlier: Campaign defends ad depicting terrorist attack

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Tom Tancredo
  1. NP, Ridgefield, CT

"His low rating does not mean he's no good, it just means he's not being supported by the governmental elite, which probably means he's not a crook!!

To Andre Talbert,
    ...Or it could mean that when presented with this fool's fear-mongering the people/ just decided they didn't support his policies. The market is speaking loud and clear Andre! What's happened to your Republican values?

November 13, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  2. Anonymous

The Govt was aware that Sept. 11th was a VERY real threat, and yet THEY did nothing to make the public (you and I) aware. No safety precautions. Nothing. What makes anyone think this won't happen again? It's all in the grand scheme of how the "new" Govt works.

I am a white, female, American Muslim, and I am about sick to death of having my religion hijacked by crazies overseas and crazies here at home. I am tired of it being "okay" to hold conferences on Islamo-facism (essentially anti-Islam/anti-Muslim), yet if the same were done to Christians or Jews, there would be a huge uproar. Because the hijackers were Muslim, well....now we're all suspect. I am as against terrorists and terrorism as any other American, but I am afraid to do anything, because I am looked at differently now. I saw someone's big inflatable snowman blown over the other night, and wanted to pull my car over to fix it, but then thought, "They may call the police on me if I'm in their yard with this scarf on." so I didn't stop. This is really a shame.

When will people wake up and think for THEMSELVES? Find out what Islam is really about, not to become Muslim, but for goodness sake, at least get your information on your own from a reliable source!

November 13, 2007 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Sharon, Littleton, CO

I'm ashamed to say that this man represents my congressional district in Colorado. He's a fear-monger and a racist, whose off-the-wall suggestions like nuking Mecca are inflamatory. He has no solutions to our economic, social or international problems. A Tancredo presidency would be disastrous for the United States. I, for one, can't wait for him to leave Congress!

November 13, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  4. Vince, Phoenix AZ

So.... let me get this straight... The argument is that Democrats won't do anything about terror? So when you vote for this guy Tancredo, AND IT HAPPENS ANYWAY... THEN what will you say???? PEOPLE.. no matter WHAT PARTY is in office, the goal of some is to do damage to us. Tancredo won't be able to stop it any more than Bush was... (unless he actually READS his briefings...) The Saudi's would have moved forward with 911 even if President Gore were in office. (of course, it probably would have been stopped)

November 13, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  5. Pixie, Murfreesboro, TN

Tancredo – Now available in EXTRA-Retarded!

November 13, 2007 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. Kevin, Burnsville MN

"Islamic terrorists now freely roam U.S. soil. Jihadists, who froth with hate, here to do as they have in London, Spain and Russia." So does this say Preident Bush and his band of merry men have done nothing but lip service since 9/11, I just can't beleave it, no way would Preident Bush be so far off the mark that someone could slip in and bomb a mall. Remember "if you not with us you agin us" What does Karl Marx I mean Karl Rove have to say about this.

November 13, 2007 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  7. Peggy Lambert

Of course a free society brings dangers. We simply must be vigilant – but not give up the very society of freedom that the so-called jihadists would like to annihilate. A vote for "tough guys" like Tancredo are suicide pacts for a free future.

November 13, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  8. LeGay Sheridan

Would it have mattered if Obama was a muslem? As I remember, our nation evolved specfically as a land with freedom of religion. Let us not forget why we came in the first place.

November 13, 2007 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  9. J. Williams, Baltimore, MD

So, here's what this amounts to. Most Americans, and I would like to think, most Republicans are (at least nominally) against terrorism, and the terrorists' influencing our way of life. However, if we want to maintain our way of life, we have to vote Tancredo! Otherwise, the terrorists win (and by "win", see bloodied children's bodies in Tancredo ad.) Essentially, Tancredo is using the fear factor he and others denounced, to try to win this election. Come on, this is past hypocracy, now. It is downright insulting, and as un-American as it gets. Any candidate who uses terror threats to get your vote is extorting you.

November 13, 2007 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  10. Mark Columbus, Ohio

I'm from Columbus, Ohio where they caught a Muslim extremist that was planning to blow up the Polaris mall. They caught him...so yeah, I believe the Islamic Facist are a threat!

WatchingHillary.com

November 13, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  11. Paul Allen, Menlo Park, CA, USA

The comments here are hilarious. Do all of Tancredo's detractors, who are so quick to label him a scare monger, ignorant, or xenophobic, actually believe that radical Islam (which is quite mainstream, and not radical, actually) is NOT a threat to the security and way of life of the United States and to the West in general? I agree that Iraq was a mistake in hindsight, however that does not mean that Islamic radicals don't want to kill and/or convert every last one of us, and are willing to put thought to action if so enabled. If you wish to play the ostrich, be my guest, but I don't appreciate that you do so at your peril as well as mine. If you don't believe me, then I suggest you supplement your MSM news with a bit of targeted research, and you might get a sense as to what is happening in the world.

November 13, 2007 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  12. Big Ben

At the risk of revealing my age I must say in my life time I have gone from a great president, Franklin Roosevelt, who in some of this nations blackest days inspired us by saying “We have nothing to fear but fear itself” to a president, George W Bush, and a republican party that has nothing to offer but fear.

November 13, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. Michael Minorgan Montreal Quebec Canada

Who is Tom Tamcredo anyway??

November 13, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  14. Kim, Dallas, TX

I am really tired of living my life in fear. I refuse to let this mentality change the way I live and I would prefer that the country I love so dearly be allowed to be that country. The country I grew up with, knowing there were many freedoms I could count on. I don't doubt that a terrorist action could happen like this. Copycats will most likely buy into this ad and make sure it happens this way. However, I have a bigger concern regarding the safety of our citizens here. For one of the most powerful countries we have a population that is more violent than many other progressive nations. Our gun concerns here will cause many more deaths than a single act of terror like this. Do the republicans do anything about that? Are they concerned at all? Or does the NRA lobbyists run that part of our country? Look at Virginia Tech last spring. That kind of terrorism is very real here. Yet, nothing changes to make sure something like that doesn't happen again. Columbine changed nothing. We have a higher percentage of deaths due to guns than most other nations.

Fear causes many in a population to live under a shelter needing protection and then they so easily buy into politicians like Tancredo. I choose to live my life no different than I did before 911. I will respond so much more positively to someone who offers hope, than to someone crazy about making me feel afraid. Tancredo's thought process regarding Islam is nothing short of ignorant. To bomb their holey sights as a sign of aggression is very much a terrorist mentality. I don't believe it is affective at all to go to war with a country simply because we fear what they could possess.

No thank you Tancredo. To everyone else, be brave enough to live life knowing a threat might be inevitable, but to live scared everyday is not worth the stress that it causes. And the comment about Bush saying we have to fight there so that they don't follow us over here, that is a completely ignorant mentality. I do agree with Tancredo as far as the reality is, it could happen here. I support those who offer positive change and put the focus back on our country and not a constant fear of terrorism. Go Obama!!!!!

November 13, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  15. Moe, NY

More Republican fear tactics. I would think by now the Republicans would know that fear tactics are no longer working on American citizens. American citizens have been lied to too many times by the GOP. The Republicans are like the boy who cried wolf...now they are no longer taken seriously. Could the senario in the ad happen, sure...anything can happen, but I still refuse to let the Republicans use fear to get my vote.

November 13, 2007 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

He's right. You might be safer in a mall in Iraq than here. All our military is in Iraq protecting Iraqi's on Iraqi soil. We all secure our private homes when we leave to avoid intruders coming in and when we're home we set security alarms. Americans know how to protect themselves, all that's needed is for government to do their job.

November 13, 2007 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  17. Joe B.

Seriously,
    This ad could almost be an SNL spoof ad. Tom, give it up. It's obvious that you'll go to any extreme to get peoples attention, but your scare tactics are played out. Only the biggest cowards will heed to your "warning." Your warning is about as credible as the intelligence that declared Sadam was harboring WMD's. The narrator in your ad says, "Islamic Terrorist NOW freely roam US soil." What does that mean? It's too late? They're already here? Well if that's the case then what are you going to do to prevent anything from happening? Will you protect us better than any of the other candidates? Do you have a greater ability to seek out and capture the roaming Jihadists that "froth with hate?" Give me a break.

Hey Tom try this one. Warn everyone that a meteor is going to hit the Earth. You don't know when, but it's going to happen and it's too late to do anything about it. BUT, we should vote for you because...?

November 13, 2007 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  18. Mary, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

November 13, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  19. Charles

Just another politcal repug scare tactics ,the more that ad runs, the more pressure and crime build, dont we have illegals here already wacko, this is a fruitcake canidate.

November 13, 2007 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  20. Richard, West Palm Beach, FL

Tancredo isn't going to do any better job protecting us from a second attack than Bush did protecting us from the first attack.

It is absolutely delusional to think Tancredo (or anyone) is going to keep terrorists (foreign or home-grown) from attacks in malls, government offices, stadiums, bridges, schools, or anywhere else. It is also delusional to think that the security we have is necessarily going to protect us since security personnel would be the first targets.

All those who talk about how people criticizing Bush are aiding the enemy should give some thought to how much Tancredo is helping the enemy. Osama bin Laden would probably be thrilled to know than Tancredo is trying to get America paranoid and terrified. Between this Republican fear-mongering and Bush breaking our country financially, bin Laden's wildest dreams must be coming true.

November 13, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  21. Francisco, Yakima WA

Posted By Richard, St. Paul, Mn :

I worry far more about Illegal Aliens, i.e. Criminals, overrunning our country than I do terrorists.

While I sense your frustration, you are also unfairly demonizing "the illegal alien criminals."

As a child of parents who partook in the 1986 registration and regularization law [achieving first provisional legal resident status ~7/31/89, then many months later permanent resident status]. I submit that not all men women and families who break or broke U.S. immigration law are a threat and/or undesirable community members.

Given the lack of coherent and cogent arguements against LEGAL AND FAIR admittance of people and good honest families to do MOSTLY labor intensive and low wage paying jobs. One gets the notion that the real hysteria is the whim of "brown hordes" and self-serviving sissyfits of an "inferior racial stock". Of "gook-spanics, latino-mexican indian mestizo hispanoliaans".

Most of these people are seeking work, a better life, a fuller stomach and opportunities for their children in exchange for sacrificing their own earthbound expectations and decades of taxing and tiring labor.

For the drug dealers, gangbangers, shiftless and trifling schemers and scammers, yes 'f-yeah' weed them out!

That is the whole idea behind earned and merit based legalization. Is there any room in our country of allowing for legal immigrants? Are you a qualified applicant that is worthy of being granted an opportunity to redeem yourself? You haven broken a serious international barrier law? If not sorry, but we can't allow everybody in.

No terrorist! Only good honest hardworking people who contribute richly to our economy can be given a second chance, disregarding their one significant traspass. This person being identified gainfully employed, tax paying and otherwise law revering along only with his/her spouse and biolgical children.

November 13, 2007 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  22. mark wilkes barre pa

We cant live our lives with blinders on. terror groups are taking our freedom away day by day and one act of terror at a time. Any attempt at solving this problem is welcome to me, especialy when a leader is willing to endorse it by attaching his name to it. I don't know or claim to know what will solve this growing problem but we all should be willing to entertain the thought of what would happen to our freedoms if terrorist goups wre to make a real stand in this country. Just a few sucessful bombings and all of you that think guys like Tancredo are stupid and over-reacting would be screaming the loudest to how could this happen and who's to blame,, yeah yeah I know it would be bush and cheney's fault

November 14, 2007 05:37 am at 5:37 am |
  23. Michael Sheridan, Grand Rapids, MI

I've been reading other comments made here and I couldn't help remembering the old ostrich with his head in the sand. He felt safe because he refused to see the danger coming. How can anyone believe it won't happen to us? It has happened to us. September 11, 2001. That's proof that it can. Ask England, Spain, anywhere in Africa, anywhere in the Middle East and New York and Pennsylvania.
    Posted By Rhonda Nelson Sugar Land, Texas : November 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Anyone who fails to see the reality the terrorists still pose to us is either very naive or so absolutely determined not to answer the call to arms that was sounded 6 years ago. Believe what you want – maybe the bad guys won't bomb us again. Hope you're right. Keep making this a problem created by conservatives – that really keeps us safe. Idiots.
    Posted By Murray Jones, Deployed : November 13, 2007 6:08 pm

The attacks on Madrid and London (not to mention Bali) prove conclusively that fighting "terrorists" in Iraq doesn't prevent other terrorists from wreaking havoc elsewhere. But you'll notice that those attacks didn't bring those countries to their knees and cause them all to convert to Islam, any more than the attack here on 9/11/01 did. This idea that we're engaged in some sort of existential struggle against a few thousand guys hiding out in Pakistan is flat-out ridiculous.

It's also ridiculous to believe that any government policy will be 100% effective against terrorism – unless you advocate 24/7 real-time surveillance of every person in the US. I could almost guarantee you that somebody will bomb something somewhere in this country in the next 10 years in a terrorist act, regardless of who the president is, because it's impossible to monitor 300 million people.

Terrorism won't go away until the hatred that drives it goes away, and we can't solve that by shooting people, or by building fences on the borders. People claiming otherwise are the ones with their heads in the sand.

November 14, 2007 05:49 am at 5:49 am |
  24. Simon Templar

That comment about the likelihood of being struck by lightning being greater than being killed by a backpack bomber; I started to laugh my butt off. That was until I thought back to 2004. I dare you to pose that comment to someone who lost a loved one during the 2004 Madrid train bombing. Somehow I don’t think they will see it that way.

Is Tancredo’s ad a scare tactic? Most likely. Should we be living in fear that something like this will happen, no. Are there other important issues to discuss, yes. But with our borders being as porous as they are it probably merits a lengthy discussion. An incident such as this is improbable but not impossible. Nothing is impossible. To think that something like this can’t happen is being naive. There are a lot of people out there that hate this country and want to kill Americans, and Sept 11, 2001 is a prime example of that hatred.

The day we fall asleep at the wheel is the day something else tragic will most likely occur. The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

November 14, 2007 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  25. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Rhonda Nelson Sugar Land, Texas represents those who would have us hiding in our bunkers, surrounded by duck tape ... if the current GOP hadn't spent trillions of dollars in Iraq our own country could be safe.

Byron, Tulsa, OK is just as bad ... no rational thought ... just a chicken-little supporting the chicken-hawks ...

Ignorance can be cured but stupidity goes on forever.

November 14, 2007 08:25 am at 8:25 am |