November 13th, 2007

Romney spending $85K a day on TV ads

Mitt Romney has spent more than $10 million on campaign television ads in the race for the GOP presidential nomination.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has spent $10.2 million on television advertising this year, a record amount at this point in a presidential campaign, according to new data provided to CNN.

He is spending more than $85,000 a day - $600,000 last week alone - on campaign commercials, according to TNSMI/Campaign Media Analysis Group, CNN’s consultant on political television advertising spending. Romney’s presidential campaign commercials have aired more than 14,500 times. The closest Republican to Romney in ad spending is Arizona Sen. John McCain, who has aired more than $300,000 worth of campaign ads.

In the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama is leading the way with about $3.9 million spent on campaign commercials.

“Advertising is still by and large a one man band, with Romney leading the way with his record pace,” said Evan Tracey, CMAG’s chief operating officer.

The former Massachusetts governor has concentrated his ad buys in the first three early voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. But in recent months Romney has also targeted Florida – the largest state to vote before “Super Tuesday” on February 5. His commercials largely have been used to tout his conservative credentials and highlight his experience as a successful businessman and governor.

Full story

– CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • Mitt Romney • New Hampshire • South Carolina
  1. walt, nh

buying the vote, not my kind of democracy

November 13, 2007 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  2. Max, Boston, MA

Being a record spender isn't what I look for in a candidate. It's a bad habit that trickles into the Oval Office. I'd prefer a candidate that knows how to spend wisely.

November 14, 2007 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  3. Gordon Blake, Arizona

If everyone is so worried about putting a Mormon 'cult member' in control of your government, why aren't you worried about Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid? He's a Mormon too! Could it be that nobody cares because Harry's a liberal?! I guess if you're a conservative Mormon you're a cult member but if you're a liberal Mormon nobody cares.

November 14, 2007 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  4. Alan, Alpine Utah

Yeah for Romney. He has nowhere near the recognition of the other GOP contenders, no one knows him. He wasn't a star on a crime TV show, he wasn't the mayor of NY during 911, he wasn't a former POW and presidential condidate.

Moey well spent. He is doing better and better

November 14, 2007 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  5. Chris, Macomb IL

He can spend all he wants but he is losing ground fast compaired to Mike Huckabee in Iowa...and Huckabee hardly has any money to spend.

I'm going to call it. Romney hasn't a prayer of getting elected.

If the mad cash can't hold his lead against the no cash Huckabee...he hasn't a chance.

Go Huck.

November 14, 2007 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  6. JRH, Houston, TX

I think you should judge how a candidate will handle the nation's budget by how he handles his campaign budget. That's another thing that is so appealing about Ron Paul.

November 14, 2007 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  7. Scott Saks, Los Angeles, Callifornia

The prejudice of so many here is appalling. Aside from Mitt being the smartest candidate, he is the richest candidate. He is the most ethical as well. While I would like to see Ron Paul be the next president, that will not happen due to the ignorance of the American public, however, if I have a choice between Mitt and anyone else running with a chance to win, he will get my vote. I am afraid that Hillary will win the next election and it will be a sad day when this democracy in name elects a socialist.

November 14, 2007 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  8. Simon Templar

Wow! $85,000 a day for ads. Must be nice to be filthy rich. Yo Mitt. Why don't you just whip out the ole check book and write a 10 million dollar check and buy the Presidency so we can be done with all this crap called campaining.

November 14, 2007 05:19 am at 5:19 am |
  9. Jeff In Miami Beach

Mitt gets my vote for staying married to the same woman for over 30 years, a great family man whose children are working to get their father elected. I like that he made money before going into politics and should make him a little less bribable from the likes of Mark Rich. He really seems to be a good person whose views have evolved to fit the position. A number of people see him as a flip flopper but I really think it is more of an evolution. He is also the only top candidate that was a governor, which means he has run something and also run a budget.

November 14, 2007 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  10. Anonymous

I love Mitt's hair so he's got my vote

November 14, 2007 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  11. militant, parkersburg west virginia

incorrect on mccain being the #2 GOP ad spender. that would be ron paul, who placed ad buys in the amounts of 430k and 1.1mil separately, for new hampshire and iowa tv and radio time.

November 14, 2007 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  12. Jim, Cleveland OH

I'm a very conservative evangelical Christian. By that, I mean I have a very conservative view of what the Gospels are telling us.

Mr. Romney is a very nice fellow, but he isn't a Christian. He's a Mormon and that's a very different thing. They're nice folks, true, but their practices are not Biblical. If you don't believe me, ask a Mormon what their faith is all about.

I have to say it's a choice between Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee if I were voting Republican at all.

Republicans have spent all these years telling us to vote our "values" but now they're telling us to look beyond that issue. It would seem to me that the Republicans have just been paying lip service to the Evangelical movement.

November 14, 2007 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  13. Chris, Pensacola FL

You know, advertising will only piss people off if you ruin their TV programs with commercial after commercial of Romney. If people won't vote for you, wasting money to blast them with non stop ads won't change their mind.

November 14, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  14. Chris, Pensacola FL

Brian at Cottonwoods,

You are mistaken about Romney having only one wife. Ron Paul has been married to the same woman for over 50 years.

Aside from those two, I am unaware of the other dudes running for office.

November 14, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  15. Ariel, Bay City, MI

I'm a Republican and I will NEVER vote for Romney. I hope you party hacks are listening. The Republican party's only hope (and the only hope for this country) is RON PAUL in '08.

November 14, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  16. Tony, Doylestown, PA

Mitt has always been a hard worker. He has the history to prove it. At least Mitt got his money legally, which you can't say for Hillary.

November 14, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Jim, Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Oh, come on, what a non-story. $85,000 per day is peanuts for a national campaign. I bet coca-cola spends a million per day on their advertising and it doesn't mean squat.

If you aren't well known, what better way to show people who you are? Sheesh folks go back home and quit h8ing.

November 14, 2007 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. David Columbus, OH

Posted By Jeff In Miami Beach : November 14, 2007 7:28 am

HAHAHA Jeff. His kids are working hard to get elected? Yeah, how about they don't want to go to Iraq. Funny spin..funny...

November 14, 2007 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

Is it illegal to spend campaign money when one is running for president? Of course NOT! So why is this an issue to some?

Mitt Romney is one of the hardest working individuals – he legitimately earned his fortune, it wasn't given to him by anyone and he alone should have an exclusive right to his spending (how much, when, and where). Additionally, Romney raised millions and millions of dollars while running his campaign for president – so he SPENDS because he CAN.

And please, quit that nonsense that he is buying his way to the White House.

November 14, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  20. Tom Dedham, Mass

Posted By David Columbus, OH : November 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Let me see Dave, if I remember right, when I went down to the recruiter and joined it was a volunteer type setup.

Is it still a volunteer military like it was when I PROUDLY volunteered and enlisted, so Hillary who actually voted for the war authorization should FORCE Chelsea to join using your logic.

Granted that was a knucklehead answer, to an even stupider question.

Has anyone ever asked Hillary why Chelsea was not in Iraq considering SHE DID VOTE FOR THE WAR?

Must have missed that Dave.

Everything Jeff said is the factual truth funny man.

November 14, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |