November 14th, 2007

McCain vs. CNN

Watch Brian Todd's report about why the McCain campaign wants an apology from CNN's Rick Sanchez.

(CNN) - A voter's question to Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, about Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, has become the basis for a fundraising letter by the McCain campaign. The letter accuses CNN of biased reporting.

Brian Todd reports on how a derogatory comment directed at Sen. Clinton (it rhymes with "witch") and Rick Sanchez's coverage of McCain's response to the comment has thrust CNN into one of the many stories about the 2008 presidential race.

Related video: McCain: I acted appropriately

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. swissdiver

November 14, 2007 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  2. Patrick, Denver CO

So McCain is supposed to be held accountable for what other people say? That is a rediculous hit job by a normally fair CNN. I think of all the major news networks CNN to me at least seems the least partisan. However, I have no idea what Rick Sanchez was watching. McCain didn't laugh at that comment, he laughed when another person in the audience yelled something like "hey that's my ex you're talking about." McCain has repeatedly said that he respects Mrs. Clinton and Bill Clinton himself has said numerous times how much he respects McCain. McCain is held in high regard by both the right and left and I find it downright idiotic on Mr. Sanchez's part to try to make this a story about how McCain is now "done" because of something someone in his audience said. You know when a senator or congressman should be held responsible? When they say something themself like when that congressman from California said that Bush likes to "blow things up." He got a lot of backlash like he should of because those were his own comments not someone else. Please start reporting on real stories Mr. Sanchez and quit trying to drag an honorable man's reputation through the mud.

November 15, 2007 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  3. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

If Senator McCain truly repected Senator Hillary Clinton as he later claimed, and he was was a real gentleman and not just one made by an act of Congress, then he would not have laughed when the woman made her derogatory remark about Sen. Clinton.
    McCain would then have proceeded to tell the woman her remark was not appreciated and was inappropriate.
    And people wonder why politics are so divisive? That woman only has to look in the mirror.
    And Senator McCain you definitly did not act appropriately.

November 15, 2007 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  4. PollM, Dallas Tx

They mock her proposals, utter her name with a sneer and win standing ovations by ridiculing her ideas as un-American, even socialistic. She has become the one thing the Republican candidates for president can agree on.

Do you believe the anti-Hillary rhetoric from the GOP Presidential candidates will pay off?

--> http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp?pid=984

November 15, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  5. Jay, Kenosha, WI

Gee I wonder who Rick Sanchez is voting for.

Media Bias is a Fact. To claim to be without bias is as impossible as claiming to represent everyone's point of view.

How can anyone claim that Fox is biased but CNN isn't? Fox generally represents the Republican point of view, CNN represents Democrats and MSNBC represents the psychotic left. Everyone should just acknowledge this and quit the charade.

Rick Sanchez is entitled to his opinion, but once he reports his opinion he is no longer a reporter, he is a commentator who is actively taking sides.

November 15, 2007 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  6. Michael, Bakersfield CA

I think Rick Sanchez needs to start reporting the news, rather than making it. It seems like every couple of weeks another issue pops up and he is the champion of it. If he wants to be in politics let him run for office. I love CNN, but I am getting tired of him

November 15, 2007 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  7. STEVE CARDENAS ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO

I watch CNN on a regular basis. When Brian Todd comes on I change to another network because it appears to me that his stories and his method of presentation are 100% circus. He and his show remind me of the old Jeraldo Rivera and Maury Povich tabloid sensationalism. It is beneath CNN.

November 15, 2007 06:00 am at 6:00 am |
  8. Pete, T.S. FL

A candidate can’t control what comes out of a supporter’s mouth but can certainly respond better than McCain did.

The word in question is a term attached to Hillary by the RNC years ago. I’ve gotten hundreds of e-mails referring to her as such. It is a-typical RNC, if you have nothing to say, attack!

What if the N-word was used to refer to Obama?

Where is the outrage from all of the candidates?

November 15, 2007 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  9. JB Boston MA

People use these words, and it is not John McCain's job to reprimand a woman for using the word.

He did a good job making light of the situation. Sanchez should be ashamed of himself, but, what do you expect from the Clinton News Network.

November 15, 2007 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  10. factjack

CNN supports a progressive agenda, particulary Hillary's. There is no doubt. Studies have proven it and it is clearly visible on this ticker.

November 15, 2007 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  11. C.Van Alstyne ,Fulton , New York

Since when is a candidate responsible for ANY voter's statement ? Everytime it appears that CNN is operating without bias along comes a Sanchez or some other showing the same old bias . Why not let them carry a sign around their neck advertising their favorite Democrat candidate ? I will now go back to other networks that , at least can hide their favoritism . Will they ask tough questions during the debate ?(Such as "Do you like Candy ?)

November 15, 2007 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. Bob Holstein Chicago, IL

Rick Sanchez should apologize to the viewers of CNN for blatently lying on the air. I am not a McCain supporter, but do not appreciate being misled and lied to by an anchor. Sanchez said that McCain said "I respect Hillary Clinton I would respect any candidate the democrats choose" McCain never said "I would" between his 2 sentences. That was Rick Sanchez's biased reporting and opinion that inserted "I would" between McCain's 2 sentences.

I would appreciate fair unbiased reporting and not lies and spinning. Rick Sanchez seemed like a political spinster and I will never watch his show again.

November 15, 2007 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  13. Ryan Indianapolis

CNN should apologize , they are so clear in there support of Mrs. Clinton that a blind man could see it. As a republican looking at it from the outside, Obama is not given half the air-time and most articles about him are negative. Cnn really needs to looks itself in the mirror cause there is no doubt they rooting for another Clinton in the Whitehouse.

November 15, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. dianna, ormond beach,fl.

I agree with Rick Sanchez completely. I can just imagine the press going crazy if a democrat had done this. It is not the first time McCain showed his way with words, remember the Chelsa Clinton, Janet Reno crude joke that the press brushed under the rug.

November 15, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. JB Boston MA

Pete from FLA-

Are you relating the b word to the n word???? That just shows your lack of intelligence!

Stop drinking the Hillaryaid!

November 15, 2007 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  16. J Houston, TX

Wolf Blitzer actually asked how "we" lost during an interview of last election. Obviously already choosing sides. If you want unbiased reporting and to truly be the most trusted name in news, maybe you should consider hiring a staff which doesn't claim to be 90% Democrat.

November 15, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. David, Gilbert Arizona

Rick Sanchez is notorious for pulling stunts disguised as "recreations of news events" in order to gain ratings. He doesn't report the news. He "recreates" it.

If I heard a man say, "hey, that's my ex wife you're talking about" when someone throws out the B word I would have laughed too. McCain wasn't laughing at the derogatory comment. He was laughing at the joke made by the other man and Sanchez knows this.

Of course Sanchez won't apologize. His ego won't allow him to apologize. If anyone should be "done" over this escapade it should be Rich Sanchez.

November 15, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  18. Jose Card

So Rick Sanchez doesn't like to report news any more. He likes to make news now. That's why I and some of my friends canceled the cable service.

Perhaps he grew up believing that any man of high honors should jump at any opportunity to teach others a lesson, especially in public.

But how about the freedom of speech? I would like to be able to speak my mind, too. People from all walks of life have their way with words to vent their anger and we should not be the judge of them just because you have got a college degree. If he is such a gentleman, why didn't he say anything right there? Senator McCain repeated his respect for Senator Clinton. Isn't that a subtle enough gesture for his disagreement with the B- word?

This is not a communist country so voters do not have to be made a fool in public. Has he seen the movie, Princess Bride? Even in those old old days, commoners could yell at a Princess with whatever on their mind? I want my freedom of speech protected from people like Rick Sanchez. He needs to stop giving CNN a bad name.

November 15, 2007 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  19. Jose Card

"Rick Sanchez was definitely right in exposing McCain. I'm glad CNN gave him his own show to counter the immigrant-bashing jingoistic Lou Dobbs. Rick, you Rock!!!!!!!
    Posted By swissdiver : November 14, 2007 11:21 pm"

Ask yourself why you want to risk your life to come here illegally?
    Is it really the job or actually the freedom that you are willing to die for? Is this a plot of revenge against Senator McCain who co-sponsored the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill and was absent to vote for the Dream Act?
    Then you guys are truly hopeless.

November 15, 2007 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. Phil Chicago, Ill

Good heavens people – Hillary calls Cheney "Darth Vader", Hillary repeatedly attends Hollywood Fundraisers that profane the President while she laughs in the audience.

But because an audience question called Hillary a "B" – everyone gets upset?

How woosified has the liberals become? Good lord if ANY of their representatives took half the abuse President Bush gets from liberals... they'd apparently have a melt-down.

November 15, 2007 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. Pete, T.S.

JB Boston MA

Yes, both words used show lack of respect and are inflammatory. My post doesn’t support any candidate it simply is a call for decency. Something that you obviously lack!

November 15, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. roger, conway sc

I personally feel that McCain has no reason to apoligize he did not use the "B" word or describe Hillary as such. He is not responsible for the question the female ask, I'll bet you money she is a right wing, hypocrite, holier than thou republican who will be in church on Sunday praying for us all. VOTE HILLARY 08.

November 15, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  23. Scot, Kenosha WI

If McCain had real guts, he should have asked that lady to leave. A woman calling another woman "B*&%h" is lows of low. He just stood there with a subdued laugh and said a politically correct thing.

November 15, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  24. Marcus Stephens

The bad thing about the comment is that it was not chastised. He acknowledged his agreement by not asking who she was referring to by the question. Hip Hop music gets constant criticism by these same people for their use of derogatory comments, like the on McCain found so funny. It upsets me to see it brushed off so easily when it is spoken by one of his supporters.

November 15, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. Michael, Bakersfield CA

I want to clarify, what I said earlier. For the most part I really like CNN. I do not find the channel itself to be overly biased and when commentators express viewpoints usually they are pretty up front about it. Rick Sanchez on the other hand seems to need to interject himself into the reporting however. I am very tired of him making himself the story and tired of CNN hyping his self-promotion. I don't know what it is about the 5 O'clock hour, but perhaps news would fit nicely there.

November 15, 2007 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |