November 14th, 2007

Obama defends himself against attacks

Obama addressed the United Auto Workers Union in Dubuque, Iowa Tuesday.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama Tuesday dismissed an e-mail attack being circulated about him that questions his patriotism, and he vowed to vigorously defend himself from this assault as well as questions about his religious beliefs.

"I don’t mind them arguing with me about policy, but don’t let them question my patriotism," said Obama, responding to a question about the email following a speech before the United Auto Workers in Dubuque, Iowa. “And listen, I am not going to be swift boated at this race. If somebody comes at me I am going to come right back at them hard."

The e-mail purports to show Obama not placing his hand over his heart during a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance at a campaign event.

"We were not saying the Pledge of Allegiance,” Obama said. “We were singing the Star Spangled Banner."

Obama also took time to respond to a rumor that claims he was educated in a madrassa, and raised as a Muslim.

"If I were a Muslim I would let you know," he said. "But I am a member of Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th street on the South side of Chicago. We got the best choir in town and if you all want to come and worship with us you are more than welcome."

When the madrassa rumor first surfaced in January, CNN sent a correspondent to Jakarta, Indonesia, and determined it was false.

– CNN Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa
  1. Brandon, Tampa, FL

Some of these comments are something that would belong more at home on FOX Noise than CNN.

For the last time:

BARACK OBAMA IS NOT A MUSLIM.

HIS MIDDLE NAME MATTERS AS MUCH AS A SWORDFIGHTER ATTACKING A TANK.

November 16, 2007 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. MR. PICKFORD ROBINSON, NY / NY

MR. HUSSEIN OBAMA BARACK, WAS ONLY A MUSLIM FOR 12 YEARS, NOT FOR LIFE THEN HE FOUND ANOTHER GOD ... >>> JESUS. NOW AFTER HIS DADDY LEFT HUSSEIN OBAMA BARACK AT AGE 2 AND WENT BACK TO MOTHER AFRICA, FACT! HIS MOTHER THEN MET A NICE MUSLIM FROM INDOESIA WHERE THE LIVED AND OBAMA LOVED HIS NEW MUSLIM SCHOOL. FACT! THEN AFTER THIS SECOND MARRIAGE BREAKDOWN OBAME WENT TO AMERICA TO LIVE WITH HIS WHITE GRANDPARENTS, AND YES FOUND JESUS... SO OBAMA HUSSEIN BARACK IS NO LONGER A MUSLIM, FOR NOW AT LEAST!

December 2, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. frank sparks

Well i knew it wouldnt be long untill the race card would be played, now Obama is digging up bones, and trying to live in the past, we dont need the past thats history, if he wants to teach history let him, but dont get drawed into a race war with Obama, Hillary, if this is all he knows well we dont want to live in the past, we wont to be told what you are going to do for us now.
    We have a president that knows how to live in the past, and dont know how to run a country, we dont need another president that wants to relive history, this country cant stand that, we need a leader , we need Hillary Clinton, let Obama take his preaching, and his history, and go back home and teach school, that sounds like all he would know how to do.
    let the raciest remarks spew from his mouth if thats his mentality, then let him rant and rave we sure dont need him for president, i dont see how Il can stand him for a senitor.And this is all we need is a president that will run this country as a raceist, where 20% of the people will be all that has a president, and you think what we have is bad now.

January 14, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  4. Savannah, Ga

Everyone has a lot to say about Obama's experience in this campaign. I think alot of you people are ignorant and stuck in your ways. It's time for a change. Here's a question for all of you. When Bush destroyed this country his first time in office, why in the hell did everyone vote for him again? He's the one with no experience. The U.S. isn't ready for a women or a anyone who isn't white to be president, but it's going to happen so we may as well get ready. Anything that isn't the "norm", Americans pull out their prejudice cards. I thought this was "The Land of The Free, Home of the Brave". We pride ourselves as being a country where it's ok to be different and an individualist. Why can't we apply that theory to our presidential campaign? My opinion is, anyone would do a better job than that idiot George Bush. The purpose for the election is to vote for the person you think will do a good job running our country. If we don't like the person, vote for a change next time. But don't let who you vote for be determined by their race, beliefs, sex, or anything other than what they say and can prove they can do for our country.

January 15, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Giiget

I am hearing a rumor that Obama had said that if elected he would not put his hand on the Bible to be sworn in, any one hear this or is this a lie?

January 31, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. Chandra

From Indonesia, Success for Obama.

February 4, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  7. Ling

, leaving it out chengas nothing. You'd have a point if it did. Let me give you an example of what I mean.I want him dead!What was actually said: No way will I say that just because we disagree, that I want him dead!Obama can claim it's not about having a problem with their success, but he's shown otherwise as have liberals in general.Reply

September 21, 2012 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |