November 14th, 2007

Osmonds on fellow Mormon Mitt Romney

Watch the Osmond siblings discuss Mitt Romney.

(CNN) – In this clip from Larry King Live, Donnie and Marie Osmond and some of their siblings discuss the presidential campaign of fellow Mormon Mitt Romney.

Speaking about John F. Kennedy’s historic address about being Catholic and running for president, Marie Osmond told King, “I hope we’ve grown up since then.” “I hope people look at the person and what they’ve done,” the Osmond sister added.

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Faith • Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. David Columbus, OH

Religion...it's what tears this world apart.

I am sick of it.

November 15, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

JB Boston MA and Tom Dedham, Mass:

Count me in please. I hear your pain and suffering – I am with you. Sick and tired of this one party rule.

November 15, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Terry, El Paso, TX

"Romney’s advisers have told the Republican presidential candidate not to give a Kennedy-esque speech regarding being a Mormon, according to the Associated Press."

I had assumed that the man could think for himself. If his advisors told him to jump off a cliff...

November 15, 2007 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Rick, Chicago Illinois

To all the self-righteous religious types out there who need a book to tell you what, how and when to believe:

I don't need to vote for anybody who puts religious, FAITH-BASED beliefs in some book before critical thinking and common sense.

Nor do I have to believe in YOUR God to be saved by MINE!

And I certainly don't want some one who is gong to force his religious B.S. onto others when he gets elected. Especially if it's idiotic, faith-based BS like refusing to legalized medical marijuana to someone who needs it to stay alive and well – as SEVERAL MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS HAVE STATED – because his RELIGION tells him not to.

All of you who say "Well, the BOOK said it so it MUST be true are brainwashed sheep. You probably voted for the guy who said "Jesus told him he could bomb Iraq" too right?

Tell ya what, my daughter has a "Winnie the Pooh" book that says HE existed ... along with His apostles Tigger, Rabbit, Roo, Kanga, Owl, Pigglet and Eeyore. So I guess it MUST be true too – because, well, the book SAYS so!

November 16, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  5. Rocky, Nauvoo, Illinois

Leave the "I heard," or the "I was told," myths at the water cooler. What are the facts. Is there a conflict between Mormonism and the public trust? Can Americans trust Mormons in public office? There is a new book just released that addresses these issues with full documentation to back-up the author's position. "When Salt Lake City Calls" will answer your questions. Google the name of the book using quotation marks to enclose the book title and you'll get a blogsite with full information.

November 18, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. ashley columbia ms

For those of you critical of LDS I ask you this: If you believe in this country then you believe we all have freedom of religion. If you believe we should treat others as we would want to be treated then you should be very careful about making assumptions LDS are not Christian. There may come a day when you will not have freedom to worship and be made to be of one faith or none. There may come a day when LDS are the majority and non LDS are the minority. Would you want LDS to say the 2% Baptist are not Christians because Bap’s don’t believe as LDS. Wait LDS would never display such bigotry so scratch last statement.

November 18, 2007 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. Dave, Boise Idaho

I won't vote for Romney for two reasons: 1) he seems hollow; 2) he's a Mormon.

The hollow-ness comes from his constantly "evolving" positions. Too Clinton-esque for me. As for the Mormon stuff... I'm all for religion. If people use it to explain what we don't know and it gives them an ethical framework around which to build a happy life, great. But when people use it to ignore what we know, to create a fantasy world to justify insecurity and the repression of women, then I have a problem with it. People who wear special underwear and believe that American Indians are descended from Jews are not in a religion, they're in a cult. All the good things Mormons do doesn't change that. Accusing detractors of being close-minded doesn't change that, either. And any comparison with Kennedy's situation is wishful thinking.

Sorry, Mitt, but any association with LDS disqualifies you to lead this country.

December 2, 2007 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |