November 14th, 2007

Osmonds on fellow Mormon Mitt Romney

Watch the Osmond siblings discuss Mitt Romney.

(CNN) – In this clip from Larry King Live, Donnie and Marie Osmond and some of their siblings discuss the presidential campaign of fellow Mormon Mitt Romney.

Speaking about John F. Kennedy’s historic address about being Catholic and running for president, Marie Osmond told King, “I hope we’ve grown up since then.” “I hope people look at the person and what they’ve done,” the Osmond sister added.

Romney’s advisers have told the Republican presidential candidate not to give a Kennedy-esque speech regarding being a Mormon, according to the Associated Press.

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Faith • Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. Dr. RaTsTaR Lebanon OR

Look at what Romney's done. He went to France on Mormon missionary duty to avoid the draft during the Viet Nam War. He says his sons are performing duty to the country by serving on his campaign commmittee. Romney says Mormons take care of Mormons.

Honor the separation of church and state. Tax property equally. No more free rides for religion.

Dr. RaTsTar, Viet Nam Era Veteran, '72-'76, two deployments to SE Asia.

November 14, 2007 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  2. Anonymous

How do you think Mitt is going to do in Utah?

November 14, 2007 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. Kate, Aurora CO

Don't mean to point out the obvious but if we had grown up, there would be no need for this article. Unfortunately, America is still a "toddler" and has a lot of growing up to do. An individual's choice of religion or even choice of no religion, should not be involved in the decision.

November 14, 2007 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  4. Atlanta,GA

Who cares what they think.

November 14, 2007 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  5. Kim, Peabody MA

Marie,

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!

Per your own words, "I hope we’ve grown up since then. I hope people look at the person and what they’ve done."

If the future is an example of past performance, then check out what Romney did in Massachusetts at:

Check out the BIG BAD Christian Influence – http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?id=25844

November 14, 2007 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  6. Daniel utah

I love Marie, the only thing is she is not acting like other mormonns, a very good thing. Why in the heck are you a Mormon? It's so silly. This one group of people Mormons (less then 1% of America) are the only folks going to Heaven. They're a bunch of sheep!

November 14, 2007 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  7. William H. Richards IV, Millis, MA

It is time for our nation to move beyond this silly debate over religion. We should inquire as to who among the crowded field of candidates is best able to provide leadership in solving the domestic and international issues that our nation faces everyday as a candidate’s religious views are irrelevant to whether or not he or she would be a good President.

November 14, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  8. Tom Dedham, Mass

I fully expect some comments from you bigoted sheep about her funny PJ's or her 15 husbands.

Please don't let me down, I depend on you for some left leaning laughter (I do relish all of your postings explaining Hillarity's latest screw-up).

November 14, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  9. Mark Columbus, Ohio

I'm a Republican who will not be voting for Mitt in the primaries. Why? Because Donnie and Marie is supporting him. And why do I dislike Donnie and Marie? Because they came out with crappy music back in the day. Van Halen was the band to listen to and still is today. OK CNN, I want to inject a little humor hear...alright???

WatchingHillary.com

November 14, 2007 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  10. lava, North Pole

The clip is too short, CNN. Any idea why?

November 14, 2007 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  11. eric, orem, ut.

Well, she's right. Instead of basing your opinion of someone on what you believe about their religion- although truth be told not that many non-Mormons are knowledgeable about the LDS church- why not look at their record in public office?

November 14, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  12. Herb, Pittsburgh, PA

Dr. RaTsTaR of Lebanon Oregon is correct. I don't think that a person's religion would ordinarily matter, but it does matter when it influences a President's public policy. Mormonism isn't merely a religion, but a way of life. Would it influence Romney's decisions regarding issues that matter to many Americans? It already has.

Mitt Romney would never have received my vote to begin with, and the fact that he is a Mormon only strengthens my resolve.

November 15, 2007 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  13. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Daniel from Utah: Marie acts just like a Mormon and other mormons and they don't believe they are the only ones going to heaven. You probably aren't from Utah either.

November 15, 2007 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  14. JB Boston MA

Hey Kim from Peabody-

You cannot blame a Governor for what is going on in this ridiculous State. The State Congress is 92% Democrat. I am not saying that Democrats are to blame, but when there are no checks and balances things come falling down.

Let me remind you, Romney refused to give illegals In State Tuition. He fought hard to stop the Courts from passing legislation (the Gay marriage thing), and when he took over the big dig (as short lived as it was), things got better. Of course there are more things, but, I think he did a good job, as do the free thinking Independents of MA. Of course the dems can't blame their Congress so they blame the only R.

Kim- have you ever lived outside of MA? If not you should try it. Then you will see how other states run, and what a joke this one is. And, you may ask, why am I here? My family is, I don't have a choice, but may move over the border into NH. No State taxes or sales tax sounds nice. And the State is run much better. No threats of increasing taxes if you don't vote for 3 casinos.

Maybe if people stop checking off all the D's on their ballot and actually make some effort to figure out where people stand on issues, we all will be better off!

November 15, 2007 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  15. Jim, Cleveland OH

The Republicans made this an issue when they kept demanding that Evangelical Christians vote according to their "values". Of course, values was just a code word for supporting whatever Republican the party establishment brought forward.

Now we are being told to accept a Mormon, to make no mention of their practices, and that we are bigots if we don't accept them as fellow Christians. We're not talking about some difference in doctrine among the Christian denominations here. We're talking about a religion that is completely separate from Christianity in it's practices and beliefs. It is no different than them asking us to vote for a Druid or a Scientologist.

I'll vote my values on this one. You can bank on that.

November 15, 2007 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  16. JT, Ada OK

Mormons are a minority, no doubt, but get your facts straight!

Actually, over 2% of America is mormon. It is also the 5th largest church. Outside of the U.S. there even more mormons than within.

November 15, 2007 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  17. Steve, Chelsea, MI

For the religious out there, how can you compare being a Mormon and being a Catholic? I'd think that the difference between a nearly 2000 year old religion and a 150 year old religion would mean something. Are we going to have a Scientologist running in 100 years?

November 15, 2007 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  18. Randy S. Lawton, OK

It seems to me that if one believes in Jesus as his/her Savior that makes them Christian. Do LDSers have a different set of beliefs as other Christian churches? Yes. As do Episcopalians, Assembly of Goders, Lutherans, Southern Babtists, Christian Scientists, etc.
    I find it tremendously amusing that so many of you "good, righteous" Christians are so intolerant and judgmental.

Jim in Cleveland: Very un-Christian like, intolerant attitude on your part. And just what do you have against Druids?

Steve in Chelsea: Explain to my what age of religion has to do with anything. I would think it is all about interpretation and belief. By your logic, Judaism must be the one, true religion.
    And it may not take 100 years before a Scientologist runs for office.

So much hypocrisy among so many Sunday-morning Christians. No wonder I have little use for any religion, they're (collectively) responsible for most of whats wrong in the world today.

November 15, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. Bob J.

Whatever your faith, if it and your beliefs will become a deciding factor in the decisions you will be making affecting the country, and they publicly announce that this will be the case, then you bet people have every right to question these beliefs. Romney is a good family man, educated, very intelligent and rational, as all people, until it comes to his faith. He can still tie all of this in with a belief in magic underwear, his wife having spirit babies for all eternity on their own planet after they die, etc etc. And this is what scares me. Not to let others off the hook, but do you really want anyone for president who seriously believes in talking donkeys and burning bushes, that the earth is only 6000 years old because all scientists are wrong, and that during judgement day stars light-years away are actually going to fall to earth?

November 15, 2007 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  20. Travis

When I "hire" a president, it will certainly be Romney.

November 15, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  21. Ish, ATL, GA

No, mormons are not sheep. Such a dim witted comment. There is no stand by the church on political matters. i have my own mind and it tells me Dr. Paul over Mitt since Dr. Paul is a better constitutionalist and not in the CFR.

November 15, 2007 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. Tom Dedham, Mass

Posted By JB Boston MA : November 15, 2007 8:42 am

JB my friend, you speak the truth.

Deval Patrick (a Clinton crony) is as liberal as they come and even he can't get bleep done in this hack driven state.

One party rule is killing this state, but worse than that is how entrenched they are and these fools blindly vote for someone if they have a (D) next to their name or if their name is familiar.

We need new blood in this state and two party representation and that is where folks like us come in.

Someday JB, someday.

November 15, 2007 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

The question about Romney shouldn't be about his faith, heaven knows that all religions have their positives and their negatives. The focus with Romney should be on his vacillating stance of several key issues. We must all remember that Bush offered himself as a born again Christian but was really Satan wearing a religious cloak.

November 15, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. Steve, Chelsea, MI

Actually Randy in OK, I used the qualifier "for the religious out there".

I'm against all organized religions myself. Over the years they've become more of a tool to control the masses than anything.

November 15, 2007 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Jim, Cleveland OH

It's not enough to simply believe in Jesus. The New Testament is quite clear in what is expected for a person to receive our Lord's gift of salvation. If you wish to receive this gift you have to play by His rules. It's a tough road to follow.

In a world where anything goes, it is not popular to point out when someone strays from the New Testament scripture. We are admonished to do this in a spirit of Christian love and humility.

I've known a few self-styled Druids who were quite wonderful people. That same thing goes for Mormons. That doesn't mean I accept their religion on an equal footing. Ultimately, it's their choice.

None of that is really the point of this discussion. The fact of the matter is that some people expect Evangelicals to put aside their church values and adopt the "values" of a political party. No thank you.

November 15, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |