November 15th, 2007

Clinton calls for closer eye on U.S. imports

Sen. Clinton wants more oversight of Chinese imports.

(CNN) - No products should be imported into the U.S. from China unless they've been inspected by an independent group and "we're sure they're safe," said Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, during the CNN debate in Las Vegas Thursday.

"If we don't impose a third party independent investigative arm on our corporations that do business in China, as well as the Chinese government, we should not permit any items to be imported into our country," she said.

Clinton said the safety inspection of all U.S. imports "is something every parent should be worried about," and that toy, pet food and prescription drugs are not the only consumer products affected.

– CNN Political Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. TJ, Lewisville, AR

This is one of the most important comments any candidate has made. We are letting tons of products into this country everyday without proper inspection. They day is going to come that a terrorist is going to arrive in the US inside a box labeled "imported from (un named county)" and it would have all been prevented had we properly screened imports. Further, we are allowing illegal immigrants into the county everyday and you don't think the enemy is already here? GET REAL! Good observation Hillary – we need better inspection of imports!

November 15, 2007 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. Roger - IL

Good Idea!

Although it was President Clinton who gave China a Most Favored Nation Status, so we would reduce tariffs.

November 15, 2007 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  3. Chris, Pensacola FL

Girlfriend, you've had many, many years for this. You were the bloody first wife and know you're concerned about it? Biden ate you alive in the debate.

November 15, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  4. H.Howard, Pineville Kentucky

Good Evening,
    I am writing to all of Hillary responses stands etc not just from tonights debates. First let me say to CNN why do you continually emphasize Hillary's this and that covering for last week last month or wherever she needs it are you all biast with the other candidates I mean I'm sitting here watching the Hillary show:)!!!!
    And I wonder if the other candidates resent this. One thing stood out though that you have kept repeating the gender card? alsoher "I was for this before I was against this attitude of drivers liscense! Where will she be next month or better yet is this another look at what the democrat party is going to be about because they have blamed GWB for just about everything lets put that aside for a moment and just say the truth it's not about him anymore at all we are looking at a new President wheither it be John Mcain or Obama let them take the position as where he has stood they must now stand and I havent heard any one of the candidates really tell me anything except GWB has caused this and its not their fault? whats that about. Tell me something of really what they would do if faced with the exact mirror situation as our President right now think about it America CAN HILLARY BE PROTECTED BY THE LEFT MEDIA when she were have to REALLY MAKE A DECISION I think Obama could at least prevail better as far as that goes we at least know he can answer a question and not have to wonder if he would have to change it tomorrow to apease some behind the scenes groups that she has secretly sold out to makes you wonder and Im just one of many who see these things
    Thank you and I challenge you to let this be seen we will see and if its not old Bill O'reily will pick it up cause Im copying it to mail to him also
    WE will see.....

November 15, 2007 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  5. Mike

I liked Obama's answer better on this question...he said, "If Japan has it's inspectors working in China to inspect and approve the imports to their country then US, as the biggest consumer of Chinese goods, should at the least have the same level of inspections, if not better"

November 15, 2007 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  6. Ann ME

Really? What a novel idea. Did she think of this all by herself? Masterful.

November 16, 2007 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  7. Moe, NY

Better idea than inspectors...let's bring our jobs home to America where they belong. Corporate America should have been fined big time for their tainted products. Seems to me that Corporate America is actually getting away with murder!

November 16, 2007 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  8. Anonymous, Ames, IA

Get real woman. No way we have the manpower or financial means to inspect all imports. More BS from a woman that will say anything for a vote.

November 16, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  9. Tom - Dedham, Mass

With her 35 years of experience why has she DONE NOTHING to get this done BEFORE?

Real simple question, you would think Wolf could have followed up with that, but that would have been against the script.

November 16, 2007 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  10. Cory, Pennsylvania

ummm, DUH CNN. Everyone is saying this, not just Hillary. Let me write your headlines for you, please! I feel like I could be just as qualified as you.

November 16, 2007 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Debi, Philadelphia

And they are going to start making our Hershey Kisses, I really like Hershey Kisses, but I won't ever eat another. China scares me, first they tried to kill our Cats and Dogs, then leaded paint in our babies toys, then rape date Aqua Dots. They could wipe out half our population with Kisses.

November 16, 2007 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  12. Jose Card

Finally, Hillary is borrowing a headline from Lou Dobbs Tonight Show. Never have I heard of her being concerned about tainted imports from communist China till this debate night. Is she saving her senator's duty for political gains?

Is this a distraction from taking illegal Chinese donations? I know how much the Clintons love USA over China. I bet you the Chinese Media will report their national grief if Hillary is not elected.

November 17, 2007 01:21 am at 1:21 am |