November 15th, 2007

Edwards avoids dig at Clinton over 'gender card'

When it came to the "gender card," former Sen. Edwards kept his gloves on Thursday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, who has significantly stepped up his attacks against rival Hillary Clinton recently, avoided taking a dig at the New York senator when asked by moderator Wolf Blitzer if she was playing the "gender card."

"I think that every single candidate on this stage should be held to exactly the same standard," Edwards said in response, before going into his standard stump speech on the differences between him and Clinton.

Edwards then drew boos from some in the crowd when he said Clinton took money from lobbyists.

"Wait a minute," Edwards said to the boos. "Voters have those choices, and they deserve to know that they have those choices, that there are in fact differences between us. But I think every one of us should be held to the same standard."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards
  1. G. Frank, Northfield, NJ

John from Raleigh, NC has hit the nail on the head! I would think that after enduring an oil industry owned administration, voters would understand the importance of knowing who is supporting whom, at what level, and why. The fact that John Edwards was boo'd for pointing at this issue blows my mind!

November 16, 2007 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  2. jb,boston,ma

I just want to start of by saying! I believe that Cnn is pulling for Hillary Clinton. My reason for saying this is because they feel that she win the debate. Clearly she don't even come in second. For this reason I will stay as far away from viewing any cnn program. Not being truthful to their viewers!
    Posted By bbb121 : November 15, 2007 10:39 pm

Just to add on that, I feel the whole debate was a fraud....
    just my observation...

November 16, 2007 06:29 am at 6:29 am |
  3. Betty Vierra Aptos, California

CNN,

Please treat our democracy with respect, and the next time you have a debate, give each and every candidate equal time, and ask them the same questions. There are no front-runners until the first votes are cast and counted. As for this debate, John Edwards did very well, as candidates should be the leaders they want us to see, and he did that. He said people should have backbones, and he showed his by being direct and sticking to the issues. And it is a relevant issue as to how someone voted on the Iran resolution. I was disappointed in the debate in that no major questions were asked about climate change and resource use, and candidates were discouraged from bringing up issues, but that is one that we need to talk about. CNN, you need to do better.

November 16, 2007 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  4. Max, Boston, MA

I couldn't care less what a stacked audience cheered or booed for, but Edwards did make himself look bad by speaking on Clinton's behalf in each question. He's laying it on thick, and though it's probably well deserved, he's doing it at his own risk.

Somehow, I find myself trusting Edwards much less this election year. It's a shame, because I liked him 4 years ago.

November 16, 2007 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  5. Jimenez - Texas

I kinda of feel sorry for Edwards. Yeah right! Obama was just Obama. Hillary shouldn't consider him to run as her VP. It scares me to think something could happen to her and he would run OUR country. Biden would be a great VP. I love him on the debates and if Clinton wasn't running he'd have my vote. And, lastly let's not vote for someone for their gender or race. Let's vote the one that will make it happen. Clinton 08

November 16, 2007 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  6. Nikki, Columbia, SC

She gets the most air-time, the podium in the center of the stage, the most seats in the audience, the most talking time, and two of the four commentators at the end work for her and her husband. It was biased in Hill's favor again last night. Edwards merely points out Hillary's flaws and then gets booed like it's a sporting event by the audience that is stacked in her favor.

November 16, 2007 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  7. Olivia - San Antonio - Texas

Excuse the typo CLINTON 08! Hey I just woke up and logged in! Clinton the best.

November 16, 2007 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  8. Jack, Fort Myers, FL

I don't believe the audience was coaxed to boo or cheer. They were working people and visitors to Vegas. When your whole message is the other guys message is wrong–you end up without a message, except for negativity and contempt. If he really wants to regain his traction–he needs to attack ideas and what he brings to the table–and why they're important. Not why the other guy isn't the right one. Then allow the people to decide on their own. He can't wish himself President–he must earn the respect, trust, and support of the electorate. With his current rhetoric–he appears very un-Presidential.

November 16, 2007 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  9. Jen Q, Torrington, CT

Wow, this wasn't a "debate" so much as a rescue. Thank you, CNN, for just letting all of us out here in the peanut gallery know exactly where you stand. I've seen the Big Media Bias, and it ain't us. I thought Edwards may have gone over the top a little in his criticism of Clinton's use of plants, but after watching last night's debate it's clear to me he's only scratched the surface. Again, thanks for making this so blatant.

November 16, 2007 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  10. john, NY,NY

I agree with you Wendy. Edward was just pathetic. What was that comment about "planted question". he was trying to be a smartass.

November 16, 2007 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  11. TMo, Washington, D.C.

Yes! Boo the truth!

November 16, 2007 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. Kate, Aurora CO

How blind are the Hillary supporters? Go and do your own research like I did and you will find that what Edwards was saying was the absolute truth. The same industries she is saying she will go after are the same ones contributing to her campaign and library. Its funny how Hillary supporters like to tout themselves as educated elitists but if even one of them opened a book or went online, they would see their beloved Hillary does not have their interests in mind but rather the corporate lobbyists supporting her. I'm sure CNN won't print this because its quite obvious they want her to win. Really sad.

November 16, 2007 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. DW, IOWA

John Edwards made a statement that resonates throughout US political history, and yet is not even mentioned after the dedate. Something along the lines of, "Things won't change in this country if corporate Republicans are replaced by corporate Democrats." Same folks with a tweaked difference in social policy. The rich get richer, and too many people don't want to recognize their own insignificance in this country's political system. Your government doesn't care about you, as voters we have to make it care.

November 16, 2007 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  14. Megha, San Antonio, TX

Guys, he worked for a hedge fund and still takes money from special interest lawyers. That is corporate America. This is genuinely funny, lol!

November 16, 2007 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Bubba, Swainsboro GA

"I think that every single candidate on this stage should be held to exactly the same standard," Edwards said in response, adding that he too had sagging ovaries and varicose veins. He then donned a pantsuit to hold up a copy of Oprah's latest book club choice.

November 16, 2007 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. Matt, Pittsburgh

The reason they are booing is because he takes money from special interest groups too. It doesn't matter how much you take, he's even more of a hypocrite than he claims she is.

November 16, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

If the Clinton supporters want a Corporate Democrat and can get her the Democratic nomination, good luck! I, for one, have been a Democrat all of my life and I am so ashamed of what Clinton stands for, I could puke (on you Clinton supporters). You ARE the spineless Democrats that Republicans have accused you of being.

We have a chance in our life to make a real change (one that even Republicans could support), and all you can think about it the Clinton "glory days" and revenge against Republicans or voting for someone because of their gender. You really don't get it and YOU are a part of the problem. Hillary is tearing this party apart and I hate her for it.

BTW..I can only pray that people will be still smart enough to vote for Democrats at the local and national levels even if Hillary is on the ticket, but I have a bad feeling about it.

November 16, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Bill, KY

What an idiot! I supported John Edwards in 2004 (both as President in the primaries and as VP in the genereal elections), but then had to seriously question his appeal. HE COULDN'T EVEN CARRY HIS HOME STATE IN NOVEMBER! All 15 of their Electoral votes went to Bush/Cheney. How pathetic?! At any rate, I'm glad that Edwards are in the race. They do an effective job with splitting the Anti-Hillary base. As long as BOTH of them continue to run, Hillary should stay on top in/at the polls. GO HILLARY!

November 16, 2007 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. Faiza, Los Angeles, CA

ugh these debates are driving me nuts, now. Yes, I admit sometimes John Edwards is a little trigger happy in attacking Hillary Clinton on her votes, and perspectives, but the whole point of this is to show that I am different than you and here's why b/c this person doesn't really a do good but look I can do better, here's my plan. I don't think that constitutes booing.

I don't like how the media has basically determined these are the people you should care about and every one else pretty much doesn't have a chance, let us decide that, you just report on what happens. I thought all the front runner didn't really give the best answers or the most persuasive. I felt that the "second-tier" candidates gave really thoughtful and complete answers. I am still undecided b/w Joe Biden and John Edwards but I was really impressed with Joe Biden and thought he should have had more time to talk.

I don't care for this Obama and Clinton duel. It doesn't help America and really it doesn't give us the ability to decide who we want in office.

Honestly, there should be a neutral party, not affiliated with any media outlet to host and moderate those debates b/c their job is create a story and we don't really need storytelling in a debate but rather answers on the hard questions!

November 16, 2007 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  20. Katherine, Sturgis, Michigan

CNN should be ashamed of such a poor, poor so called "debate". This was just a rehashing of old garbage. Much of the beginning was spent trying to help Hillary climb out of the hole she had dug for herself. There was no real debate in my mind tonight. It was nothing but a boring evening with Hillary being allowed to hold "court". That's why we had a so called undecided voter asking such a ridiculous question about jewelry! CNN should be ashamed of their performance by demeaning the office of the presidency and these troubling times that we live in with such an absolutely trivial question as this. They should also be slammed for allowing the booing that went on for both John and Barack. It was an insult to both of them. It's not easy working hard on the campaign trail. Neither of these men deserved to be treated with such disdain. Hillary's people have no manners at all and CNN should have removed them or quieted the crowd! It was obvious that Wolf Blitzer did not want John Edwards to speak with any continuity. At every opportunity he could Wolf interrupted John. John Edwards is the sharpest candidate out there and corporate America is afraid of what will happen if the masses choose to elect him. Wolf was a hound dog for Hillary. He showed us all how horribly biased he is, so why watch CNN in the future?

November 16, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  21. Debi, Philadelphia

Doesn't he have anything else to say?

November 16, 2007 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  22. Susan, Palm Desert,California

John Edwards has become more and more annoying as time goes by. One would think that the boos from the audience, during the debate, would stop him. Perhaps he speaks simply to hear himself since I think most of the rest of us have tuned him out.

November 17, 2007 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  23. GH, New York, ny

He is hypocritical in attacking Hillary on fund raising. John Edwards said he has raised more money -$30 million. And, he did it without taking a dime from any Washington lobbyist or any special interest PAC. What Edwards leaves out is that over half his money is from a single source–trial lawyers. A candidate who receives such a large percentage of his contributions from a single source is in no position to take such a high moral ground. Edwards was the most secretive with regards to revealing the identities of his big fund raisers. If Edwards is concerned about influence from special interest groups. He should give back the hundreds of thousands of dollars he’s taken from health care, securities, and insurance companies.

November 17, 2007 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  24. Tom Dedham, Mass

Posted By Kate, Aurora CO : November 16, 2007 10:00 am

Kate, you put it perfectly, the only thing I would add, would be that when you point out her lying or false rhetoric, it is mud slinging or swiftboating her.

I can't stand Edwards, but he is right.

November 19, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |