November 15th, 2007

Kucinich: I read the Patriot Act

Rep. Kucinich distinguished himself from the rest of the Democratic field when it came to the Patriot Act.

(CNN) - When debate moderator Wolf Blitzer told Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, that he was the only person at the Democratic debate who had a chance to vote on the Patriot Act and voted agaist it, Kucinich said, "That's because I read it."

Outlining the votes that some of his fellow Democratic candidates cast and then later changed position on, Kucinich went on to say, "Imagine what it will be like to have a president of the United States who's right the first time. Just imagine."

Kucinich's allegations prompted New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson to later tell Kucinich to stop including him with the other candidates when criticizing votes they had made.

"By the way, Dennis, stop including me in all these votes," Richardson said. "I'm a governor, I'm in New Mexico. I'm not in Washington."

– CNN Political Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: Dennis Kucinich
  1. Anonymous, Yorktown, VA

As a Republican, I don't agree with him on many issues, but I certainly respect the man. I believe he says what he feels and has the conviction to stand firm on his beliefs. Much more than what can be said for some of his opponents in the primary who will say WHATEVER it takes to get a vote. Refreshing to see a politician with a spine.

November 16, 2007 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  2. Max, Boston, MA

Kucinich, above all, was robbed of equal air time. I feel for his supporters. But to his credit, he made some one-liners that major news outlets would have gone crazy for if he was a so-called "top tier candidate".

He easily got the two sharpest lines of the night:
    "That's because I read it."
    "Wouldn't it be nice to have a president who is right the first time?"

His line to Edwards: "Now, you're a trial lawyer, you knew better." went over my head until he clarified with, "Product liability".

Kucinich certainly was clever in this debate.

November 16, 2007 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  3. Willy, Chesapeake, VA

I wish this goof ball would move to Michigan. He gives the Buckeye state a bad name.

November 16, 2007 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  4. Jack, Fort Myers, FL

Kucinich margianilizes himself. His fervor and intelligence clearly distinguish him. But his vision, goals, and ideals for America are pure pie-in-the-sky. We can't hug our enemies into submission, nor will we be able to guarantee our diplomacy will be effective against some enemies. The #1 job of Commander-In-Chief is defending the United States and perhaps sending Americans to fight and die. I believe his "organs" would shrivel and he'd drool from the mouth and fail us with helpless inaction if ever faced with those kind of decisions.

November 16, 2007 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  5. JB Hull, IA

Dennis Kucinich is only a "fringe candidate" because every media story you have ever read about him labels him as such. If every democrat who said "I love Dennis, but he could never win" would actually VOTE for the candidate they actually like, then Dennis would be the nominee. I know few democrats who don't admire him. But people are convinced that in our world of corporate media, their opinion doesn't really matter anymore. It does. If you like Kucinich, ACTUALLY GET OUT THERE AND VOTE FOR HIM!!!

November 16, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. RealityKing

If the winner of a debate is the person who puts forth the most thoughtful, complete and logical answers, then Dennis Kucinich won the dem debate lastnight..

November 16, 2007 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. Dennis Gray, Spring Valley, New York

All I can say is people need to listen more to Rep Kucinich. He is talking the truth if anyone out there will listen. He was dead on with the Patriot Act and other serious issues that the Federal government including many in Congress have overlooked or just blatently didn't care about. I'm sure he is correct when he stated many didn't read it. I'm glad Biden was angered over the comment. Maybe more talk like this will underscore the serious failures in the Congress (Democrats and Republicans). Experience means nothing if it accomplishes nothing beneficial. Kucinich spoke the truth during this debate and won my support. Obama was a distant second, but he will likely be the one to stand up against the Old Washington politics of those like Sen. Clinton, Biden and Dodd

November 16, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Ryan, New York, NY

I liked how Blitzer said during one of the questions that he was going to get answers from everyone on stage, then skipped Kuchinich. When Kuchinich pointed it out and said "What about me?" he said "You'll get your chance later," and continued on with John Roberts question. How can you state that you're going to take answers from everyone on stage and ignore one of them, even when it's been pointed out?

While I'm not a Kuchinich supporter, I do think that he has made some very valid points and the complete disrespect shown to him during this debate was apalling. He has to whine and complain just to get heard because your moderators ignore him, and by that time many people have already tuned out because he's being whiney?

November 16, 2007 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  9. Ryan Indianapolis

This guy really does not care about the security of the american public,,,,the patriot act is there to protect our citizens and this traitor makes out like our government is doing it for evil reasons...A vote for Kucinich is a vote for another Terrorist attack....

November 16, 2007 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. Peter T. Han, M.D. Alhambra , California

I like Senator Dennis kucinich, what-ever he said about our President, the world, our nation and our people and other politics are correct, I will vote for him if he will be nominated. A beliver of him of California on 11/16/2007

November 16, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. Kate, Aurora CO

So Kucinich has read the Patriot Act? Has he bothered to read the Federal laws on immigration? If he did then he would see in fact our laws state a person who enters our country bypassing the immigration process is in fact an ILLEGAL alien, not "undocumented" but ILLEGAL. This man is a clown. He should just fade back into the sunset with his 12 year old wife.

November 16, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. Nick NY NY

Look folks... when you stand 3'8"... it doesn't take much to have a spine.

Now if Dennis could somehow fix his goofy elfin appearance (see photo above of him describing his UFO experience)... he could possibly be viewed as a REAL candidate.

Until then... oompa oompa oopa-dee-doo

November 16, 2007 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. Sophie, Dallas TX

Thats pretty awesome that he didn't vote for that piece of crap because it had degraded our rights as Americans.

November 16, 2007 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. Tom Dedham, Mass

What rights have you PERSONALLY lost there Sophie?

I am just just curious to how your rights are being hindered, do tell.

November 19, 2007 08:48 am at 8:48 am |