November 15th, 2007

Mrs. Huckabee: 2-for-3 with a grenade launcher

Mike Huckabee's wife once did some target practice with a grenade launcher.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - During an afternoon tea party at the elegant governor's mansion in the capital of South Carolina, former Arkansas first lady Janet Huckabee told CNN she is pretty handy with a grenade launcher.

Huckabee, the wife of Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, said in an interview that she once shot a grenade launcher at a National Guard training camp in Arkansas.

"I have fired a grenade launcher and hit the target two out of three times, so I think that's pretty good odds for me," she said, noting that she had a special interest in military matters and has also jumped out of an airplane, flown in an F-16 and shot an MP5 submachine gun.

"I just was at the National Guard training camp at Camp Robinson and they just said we just want to, you know, introduce you to some of the equipment and some of the military guns that they have. And so one of them happened to be a grenade launcher, and so I shot it, and they said, 'You're good.' And I said, 'Thank you.'"

The tea party was just one stop on a South Carolina "First Ladies Bus Tour" for Mike Huckabee. Along with Janet Huckabee, the bus tour included two former South Carolina first ladies who are supporting Huckabee, Iris Campbell and Mary Wood Beasley, as well as former Arkansas first lady Gay White.

- CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Mike Huckabee • South Carolina
  1. Curtis, Bloomington, Indiana

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

November 14, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  2. Phil, Lynden, WA

This, and the Chuck Norris endorsement article, have been the only Huckabee-related posts to this blog in recent weeks. It is disappointing to see a major news network such as CNN, virtually dismiss a legitimate (and surging) candidacy such as Mike Huckabee's. This rising star in the '08 field (now placing 3rd or 4th in many nationwide polls) all too often ends up relegated to the ranks of backwoods hick or ranting, pie-in-the-sky religious lunatic.

It is a travesty to see the media powers assuming they have the power to define the course of the election, all in the name of shaping the best story.

November 14, 2007 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  3. Choice Dallas TX

Real Presidential, Huckleberry. Are you campaigning in Tehran or America ?

November 14, 2007 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  4. Jaik , chicago, IL

Well that's great, i wonder if this means GOP lawmakers will have their family members serve overseas in their preemptive wars ?

November 14, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  5. Dave, Atlanta, GA

In other news once at camp, I made a fire all by myself.

November 14, 2007 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  6. Tom, Bellevue, Wa

Launching Grenades is a great asset for a first lady.

November 15, 2007 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  7. my911call, North Carolina

I have alot of respect for her but
    does this mean we are going to continue pumping more of our money into military ventures.
    The worries me a "Wife Hawk".

November 15, 2007 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  8. Christian, Tampa FL

That's really kind of funny. I wouldn't mind a first lady who's good with a grenade launcher.

That doesn't mean I support Huckabee, though...

November 15, 2007 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  9. Dave, denver co

Hey cnn, you have alot of cute stories and polls, HOW ABOUT A POLL THAT ASKS IF WE SHOULD IMPEACH PRESIDENT BUSH....

November 15, 2007 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  10. Angry Chinese Driver

Thank you yet again, CNN, for such great news. Because we all think of a candidate's wife shooting grenade launchers when we think politics.

What a joke, this "news network".

AngryChineseDriver.wordpress.com

November 15, 2007 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  11. Jume Dallas Tx

I guess it is quite obvious why Hucklebee is a tea party host, and not the President of the USA. Dumbest news story of all time. Along with Edwards bragging about 99 counties of course.

November 15, 2007 01:38 am at 1:38 am |

uh, ok.

November 15, 2007 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  15. Aaron Goodview MN

Very interesting.

November 15, 2007 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  16. mark wilkes barre pa

Ok,, Don't know quite what to make of this story. I hope it's just a fluff piece, but I don't think it would be up for comment if that was the case,,, SO,,, FIRE AWAY WAR HATERS

November 15, 2007 05:09 am at 5:09 am |
  17. Ridgely, MD

Glad to hear our tax money is hard at work.

She is especially interested in military matters ? So, yet another warmonger who could care less about the validity or justification of war, just that she gets to blow things up.
    YEEE HAW.

Don't you think, if you had any bit of sense, that during a peroid of unpopular and highly expensive military actions you'd have the common sense to not make yourself look like your from the same mindset of people who got us into this mess and spent 2 TRILLION dollars to accomplish nothing of value to the US.

No, instead lets justify wasteful military spend by talking the fun of civilians blowing things up.

Sounds like fun, can I blow things up also. How about we start with some of those SUV's lining the streets and driving up the price of gas.

Am I stupid or is everyone else ?

November 15, 2007 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  18. jw, canadian,ok

What to look for in a new wife – Yes, darling you're a great kisser, but how good are you with a grenade launcher?

November 15, 2007 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  19. Independent in IA

Oh, my!!! Isn't Mrs. Huckabee just SO special!!!

November 15, 2007 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  20. Cody Harding, Kinsley, KS

That's an interesting talking point for first ladies, eh?

"Vote for my Husband, or you'll be sayin 'ello to my little friend!"

Maybe Hillary should start fibbing about service during Grenada or Panama. It couldn't hurt her votes any to have a bit of combat experience.

November 15, 2007 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  21. jo, ATL GA

Just what we need from a first lady. Wow...

What has this world come to when the wife of a pastor is into violence? The pastor is a gun carrying man...

What would Jesus do?

Another Pastor from the 700 club calling for the killing of a world leader.

I guess American Christianity is just as bad a the radical Muslims.

November 15, 2007 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  22. S.

That's awesome!!!

November 15, 2007 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  23. Robert, Durham, NC

So she shot a grenade launcher... Why do I care?

November 15, 2007 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  24. brooklyn

okay. nice to know...I think

November 15, 2007 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  25. Steve, Gambrills, MD

She must have learned from Chuck Norris, Huckabee's main endorser. He was pretty good with one in "Invasion U.S.A." if I remember correctly.

November 15, 2007 07:59 am at 7:59 am |