November 15th, 2007

Poll: Clinton leads in Nevada

Watch Bill Schneider's report about new CNN poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton has a large lead over her rivals among Nevada Democratic caucus-goers, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Wednesday.

The New York Democrat is the top pick of over half, 51 percent, of the likely caucus participants interviewed for the poll. Her closest rival, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, was the choice of 23 percent. Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina came in at 11 percent.

All other candidates came in at single digits: New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, 5 percent; Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, 4 percent; former Sen. Mike Gravel at 1 percent and Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich at 1 percent.

Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut received less than one percent.

Full story

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa • John Edwards • Nevada • New Hampshire • Polls
  1. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

I'm tired of hearing how Hillary is a "divider". The dividers are the people who have spewed hate at the Clintons for years and can't handle the fact that they have survived every attack and even thrived.

Bill is the most popular living ex president and Hillary has won the respect of her colleagues in the senate by being a hard worker and by reaching out to the other side of the aisle. Even conservatives like Sen. Graham, Sen. Brownback and Newt Gingrich speak highly of her skills and acumen.

Disagreeing with someone's politics is acceptable, but hating that person shows more about the hater than the recipient of said hate.

November 15, 2007 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. Linda, San Bernardino, CA

It is the epoch of the women. Hillary Clinton will make herstory. We have been waiting since biblical times.

November 15, 2007 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  3. TJFRMLA

I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than see Hillary Clinton as President of the United States of America.

She'll NEVER get my vote.
    OBAMA '08

November 15, 2007 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

This is terrific news for Hillary. With all the pillaring she has taken from her male cohorts she has hung in there quite well. She is running a campaign that will become the standard for future office seekers. One of her best asset is of course Bill and her broad knowledge of government and how Washington works.

November 15, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  5. Dan, TX

I'm an independent voter, I would vote for Obama. I would never vote for Clinton. I'll take four more years of self-immolation with a republican over Clinton and wait until the democrats wake up and nominate Obama.

November 15, 2007 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  6. Megha, San Antonio, TX

hey TJFRMLA
    get your needles out, coz Obama's hypocicy is coming to the forefront now, and that ain't taking him to the White House.

November 15, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. Chris, Middletown, CT

Do you think its all the radioactive waste buried in Nevada that would cause the lack of sound judgement it takes to vote for a Hillary Clinton? I'm really wondering...there should be a study done....she has yet to answer one question...and her followers are looking for another Bill Clinton era (which by the way was due to a Republican congress and senate....but I digress)

November 15, 2007 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  8. Lynn, Reno NV

Living in Nevada, I know that the greatest majority of voters are undecided yet. Most people are not paying attention. If they count like caucus voters as those who participated last time, then it is a very small sample. Just 9000 went to caucus in 2004. So they are polling the Democratic party establishment people, who of course support Clinton. This is no surprise then. Also Nevada is a very transient state. People move around and lot, and new people are coming in all the time. So they could have a bias here on who they are calling. The long time Democrats, will of course be the party people.

November 15, 2007 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  9. RuthieM

All of Hillary's poll numbers have been 'the name', stupid. It's the name, stupid, the name. I've never been polled but if a pollster called me I would rant Clinton because that's the only name I truly know, it would have nothing to do with NOTHIN' else! My brother in NY never heard of Obama until I mentioned him, my brother in Florida never heard of an Obama either until I mentioned him. Believe it or not there are still people who've never heard of Obama. So if Obama loses this election it will be because America only hears the name Clinton when they need to hear the name Obama because it is only his candidacy that will change the direction of this nation, the direction of the world for the good.

November 15, 2007 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Amy, FL

When will people wake up and put their support behind Biden? None of the Repub candidates can hold a candle to him. The Hillary and Obama groupies are gonna lose us the election again.

Wake up people!

November 15, 2007 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. Raymond, El Paso TX

David Branch, Waco, Texas WROTE: ~ "No doubt Nevadans empathise with her position on fake marriages."

I wasn't there long but I hope native-Nevadans get to ask the questions because unless you've lived there and get to know them, you would never know how independent they really are. I would say the poll was probably answered mostly by the transplants that have moved into that state.

November 15, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

Clinton leads a poll in Nevada. YADA YADA YADA! Nevada is mostly known for Las Vegas (aka Sin City) and Sin City loves sinners, so the Clintons fit right in. Hillary will be at the debate, guess where Bill will be?

November 15, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Hillarylover in SA

CLINTON 08! No one comes close! Anyone who thinks Obama is a better candidate should seriously reconsider. He can't even come up w/records from his terms at the senate. odd very odd!

November 15, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. JB Boston MA

People need to get their facts straight. She is winning in polls amongst dems. When you ask registered republicans, the numbers change drastically. She is disliked by the majority of the people in the US. Last I say 78% negatives. Higher than Bush.

SHE CANNOT WIN!

Mark my words, IF she wins the primary, she will lose to a R.

And besides, why would you want someone with the scandals, the issues, the lying etc. . .

A wise man who knows the Clinton's said (rough quote), It's not the lying but the ease to which the Clinton's are able to lie.

How is it that she new to call on that College student, but didn't know that she was a plant? Clearly she had notes on that exact question.

SHE IS A LIAR.

I don't want another 4-8 years of divide, anger and scandals.

November 15, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  15. Axel, RKDA, California

Once again, what they don't tell you is that at least 50% of the voters are still undecided.

Posted By Kim, Sacramento, CA : November 15, 2007 10:19 am
    That isn't the only they they don't tell you. 50% of eligible voters don't vote at all, 40% vote like blind sheep, doing exactly what their "Party" wants them to do regardless of whether it's the right thing to do or not.

The remaining 10%, the so called "Swing Voters", are the ones who actually decide who wins the "Popular Vote". But need I remind everyone once again that no matter who wins the "Popular Vote", they won't become President unless the Electoral College selects them to be President?

Your vote does not and never has really meant very much, and the billions of dollars spent on campaigning could be better spent on more important things. Such as quality health care and food for all of our children, paying down the national debt so our great great (continue on until you feel you've covered enough generations) grandchildren don't have to pay the bills of the government of generations past, or putting more Police and Fire Fighters on the streets of our country. After all, we really do need them, not these endless campaigns.

Since the Founding Fathers came up with the Electoral College and the People's vote means basically nothing, why spend all that money on campaigning? It's about the same as throwing away all that money. (Oh, I'm sorry. The rich people who do everything for the campaigns need more money. Excuuuuuse me...)

November 15, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. Rodney Dallas TX

Axel, RKDA, California

I completely agree with your first sentence where you state most people vote exactly where their party wants them too. Here in Texas, at the top of the voting ballot, it reads "Vote All Republican" and "Vote all Democrat". The people who use these boxes instead of taking the time to answer each name should be banned from voting. It's quite obvious that you are not paying attention to what they are talking about but rather the party itself. This explains why Bush won a second time in office. These votes cast this way should be thrown out.

November 15, 2007 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  17. Jamie Reynolds NH

Hillary was GREAT last night and has sealed my vote!

I'm very disappointed with Obama he is obviously way out of this league of experience candidates.
    Richardson was impressive and my new second choice...

VOTE FOR HILLARY