November 16th, 2007

A candidate's best friend?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but don't ask Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York to choose those over pearls.

"I know I'm sometimes accused of not being able to make a choice," Clinton said, laughing. "I want both."

Clinton was asked if she preferred diamonds or pearls during CNN's Democratic debate Thursday night. The first and last questions of the night were directed at her and concerned her ability to make a decision and stick with it.

Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware could be heard in the background saying that he liked diamonds better.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Max, Boston, MA

I suppose I'm one of a few who heard the lady speak into the microphone after they answered the question. She said:

"The diamonds are the only thing shining on that stage."

Quite true. I was earnestly impressed with some of Joe Biden's answers, though. He seemed to handle himself well with the questions he was given.

November 16, 2007 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  2. Jason NV

CNN should never be allowed to host another debate ever. What's the deal with one of the moderators fawning all over Hillary Clinton, that was very unproffessional.

November 16, 2007 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  3. Seth, Minneapolis

Did SkyMall sponsor this debate or Zales? Bang up job once again CNN; glad you're here to ask the relevant questions. Who needs MTV for inisghtful political debate when we have CNN?

November 16, 2007 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  4. Maria, Houston

Diamonds or perls? Boxers or briefs? Those are the only questions Clintons can answer honestly...

This debate was a staged circus performance. Audience allowed to boo and heckle the candidates and the moderator did NOTHING about it? Post debate objective "analysis" by James Carville? Hehehe.

The looser: Blitzer. The winner: Russert. Congrats CNN, you'accomplished impossible : You've made Fox look like a serious network.

November 16, 2007 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  5. Amanda Boston, MA

CNN is concentrating WAY too much on Hilary. The other candidates need more attention. I would figure CNN wouldn't be the news where I would see such slanted news.

November 16, 2007 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  6. G. Frank, Northfield, NJ

What a sexist and absurd way to end a Presidental Primary debate!

This was not a "meet cute" moment. This moment was CNN proving that they would give venue for a question of a nature that would never be allowed for one of "the boys". Just one of those occasional obstacles intended to demean and diminish just as much as the B-word reference made by one of Rudolf's supporters.

This was a question intended to bury the Senator. Her good natured response to this question will come back to bite her as viewers who have seen "Blood Diamond" remember how many children have lost limbs due to the brutality of diamond mining. Yet had Senator Hillary Clinton addressed this question in a serious manner, she would be critizized, as women often are, when they fail to laugh off inappropriate questioning in a professional setting that thier male counterparts never have to face.

Had she looked the young woman in the eye and said “You have an opportunity to ask a Presidential candidate a question and you ask this? Shame on you!” Half of America (guess which half), and most of the media would have reacted by calling her “too serious” and “a bit cold”... euphanisms for the B-word.

I am not the Senators strongest supporter; I’m not happy with her voting record; I am furious about her support for Bush’s blank check and her failure to demand that this administration be held responsible for both their incompetence and their crimes. They are among the reasons I am supporting another candidate in the primary. But this kind of insidious sexism makes me wonder how many women will be ticked off enough to set aside their policy differences and support the Senator as a backlash against this kind of “occasional obstacle”.

November 16, 2007 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  7. David Voigt, Indianapolis, IN

Seriously CNN!? This would be a stupid story anywhere but on YOUR "political ticker" it's a disgrace. There's really no more important political news that could fill this space?!

November 16, 2007 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  8. An Edwards Demoter

This was a stupid question.

Now to something more substantive. I was glad that Sen. Clinton pointed out the utter hypocrisy in the Edwards campaign, I say this not as a Clinton supporter, I'm not, but rather as a citizen who is tired of the politicians who flip flop from election to election and expect to fool enough people to be elected. Former Sen. Edwards ran to the right of Sen. Kerry last time around, now he is running to the left of everyone except Rep. Kucinich.

November 16, 2007 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  9. Fed Up Los Angeles, California

How can CNN possibly call this a debate. How lame. It should be the Hillary Clinton soft ball, planted questions hour. Maybe I'll vote independent.

November 16, 2007 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  10. Ryan, New York, NY

I have to agree with some of the others that I thought this was a softball plant to play up her gender in an "entertaining" fashion, as well as allow her to make a joke about not being able to make decisions (real talent there).

I found it very lame and really hope that dumb twit who asked it is proud of herself.

Overall, I thought Biden did very well again (as he has in other debates I've seen). I think this partially comes from not having to deal with the 3way mud slinging battle and being able to focus on policy.

November 16, 2007 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  11. Adam, Sacramento CA

I didn't know CNN was in the business of asking vetted questions designed to soften a specific candidates image.

I thought the debate was overall handled pretty well but that question was horrible and designed for only one purpose. No wrong answer but make hillary look friendly and human. Something she otherwise struggles to do.

November 16, 2007 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  12. Alissa, Boston MA

I am so disappointed with CNN. Can CNN talk about any of the candidates but Clinton? I mean everything is in relation to Clinton. This is so biased it is disgusting. I expected better, especially with Anderson Cooper leading the commentary afterwards. The coverage has been a big let down.

November 16, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  13. Claude, Mesa AZ

I cannot believe the Hillary Clinton supporters are still on her bandwagon. This woman said nothing of substance tonight. In fact, she has stolen many of Barack Obama's approaches and lines. It's sickening to watch. This woman will not get my vote. She cannot be trusted on issues. Obama & Edwards are clearly the ones that will change this country for the better. They stick to their messages and don't change like a shifting shadow. Wolf Blitzer did a horrendous job of moderating this debate. He was obviously biased towards supporting Hillary along with the after debate CNN critique staff. In fact Durbin had already endorsed Clinton earlier and Carville verbally endorsed her 3 weeks ago. Why would you use biased people to critique your debate...Clinton News Network.

November 16, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  14. Tim Swanson

This debate was a CNN production of the Hillary Clinton Show. I watched the scenes over and over on the DVR to catch their methods. My God – Look into that last question!

November 16, 2007 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  15. j-man, Chicago Illinois

"MUDSLINGING!!!" ????

How so? Calling people out (especially those that may be COMMANDER IN CHIEF) constitutes mudslinging? Holding them accountable consitutes mudslinging?

Yeah, nice question about diamonds and pearls btw. HAHAHAHA!!! NOT! Is that the everyone gets a laugh moment from the candidate that has been elected by the media?

CNN's election coverage is pathetic. Someone after the debate said that Obama didn't give credit to the Bush administration for the surge??! Are you joking? Get some better foreign policy analysts because the surge and the reduction of violence in Iraq is spurious. Iran is the reason violence has decreased. It's called a CONCESSION to show the US how much power they have in the region. They can turn it on and off like a valve.

Don't want to get too off topic though. Why people like Hillary Clinton is beyond me. The woman is a complete phony. She has zero convictions to anyone but herself. Why doesn't she want to raise taxes on the top percent of our country to pay for healthcare? Because those are her biggest campaign contributors! Why isn't she transparent about her record while her husband was president? Why wait til the campaign is over? WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO HIDE HILLARY?

Stop supporting a phony CNN! Our country is more important than YOU!

November 16, 2007 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  16. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

Diamonds or pearls? What the hell is wrong with people? This is just embarrasing. And Clinton's answer further demonstrates that when it comes to making decisions, she cannot make up her mind. She is like a flag that flaps in the direction of the wind. She bases her stances on what's popular.

I don't want to hear only what I want to hear, though. I also want to hear what I need to hear. That's why Obama has got my vote.

November 16, 2007 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  17. curtis in WI

What kind of mysogenistic question is that??? None of the male candidates would ever be asked if they preferred a Rolex or a Cartier watch.

November 16, 2007 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  18. Craig Webb, Elizabethtown, PA

Guess she never saw the movie DiCaprio movie about blood diamonds

November 16, 2007 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  19. Vicky Brush, San Jose, CA

Hillary is cautious, no doubt about it, and I don't blame her for taking her time while answering questions, always being careful in what she projects. In this day and age, we all need to be careful in what we say and do ... or it can be used against you in the worst way.

I cannot emphasize enough in how strong Hillary Clinton is and, although she chooses her words carefully and doesn't jump to say things, she absolutely has my vote. I have total faith that this woman can run this country and pull us out of this horrible mess our country is in.

November 16, 2007 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  20. Travis, Spokane, WA

How was this a dumb question? She gave an answer that explains herself to a "T"
    Diamonds or pearls? Drivers licenses for illegals or no drivers licenses for illegals. She wants both. Usually you have to wait a few days to hear her flip flop. Tonight she just let you know right up front

November 16, 2007 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  21. Clara, NY

And she wants to be President? What exactly does she mean she is the one ready toolead from day one? This person can not even make a simple decision on, has a unenviable track record of flip-flopping, and has a history of failing to acheive consensus when it was required most.

I couldn't think of anyone worse to be President at this crucial juncture of American history.

November 16, 2007 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  22. A. Thomas, New York, NY

She gave a quick, humorous and smart answer to a simple but silly question.

She did well in the debate tonite, and should solidify her lead to win the nomination.

November 16, 2007 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  23. Jeffrox

To those who think CNN is biased towards Hillary, why are you still here? Heard about Fox News? I just love it when the not so smart get lost in cyberspace and end up where they shouldn't have. Just watch that green thing oozing...Ha! Ha!

November 16, 2007 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  24. S.W., New York, NY

First of all, why is CNN using 2 former Clinton aides to comment on Clinton? One in particular, Carville, is a Clinton partisan.

Two, please, LESS of Wolf Blitzer – he is an Israeli partisan – used to work for AIPAC.

Three, will someone tell Wolf and CNN to STOP telling us every five minutes that they have "THE BEST POLITICAL TEAM ON TELEVISION". So tired of the self-serving crap. They DO NOT have the best political team on TV. Even Jack Cafferty is tired of them saying that. BTW, I would have appreciated Jack Cafferty moderating the debate instead of the ever-present Wolf.

November 16, 2007 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  25. Kevin, Indianapolis IN

I am sick of the way CNN promotes Clinton. Obama '08!

November 16, 2007 02:58 am at 2:58 am |