November 16th, 2007

A candidate's best friend?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but don't ask Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York to choose those over pearls.

"I know I'm sometimes accused of not being able to make a choice," Clinton said, laughing. "I want both."

Clinton was asked if she preferred diamonds or pearls during CNN's Democratic debate Thursday night. The first and last questions of the night were directed at her and concerned her ability to make a decision and stick with it.

Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware could be heard in the background saying that he liked diamonds better.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. LinnieFB, Crona, CA

CNN is Clinton's best friend.

November 16, 2007 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  2. George Hoffman : Lexington, Kentucky

Wolf Blitzer was easily the worst questioner in any of the debates to date. He set up poor premises that confined answers from the candidates on very complex issues. And his insistence on "yes" or "no" answers made answers superfluous. There are serious issues that require complex answers that Blitzer's questions fought against. As it was, all the CNN staff was particularly inept. Malveaux tossed softballs at Sen.Clinton. Thank goodness there were some "real" people with good questions or the debate would have been useless in informing the public.

November 16, 2007 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  3. Carolina, El Cerrito, California

Isn't it ridiculous that the most innane question is getting the most press?!

November 16, 2007 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  4. Jaik , chicago, IL

Disgusting that CNN would pass on a question that stupid. This whole election is a joke. CNN softballs newstainment or FOX blatant propaghanda, those are our choices, and thats even more of a sad joke.

November 16, 2007 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  5. docrock,lewisville tx

As usual Biden wins if he gets any questions.Obama flip-flopped worse than Clinton on Illegal invaders Drivers License,but Hillary won back front runner status.Blitzer was great,unlike Hillary hating Russert.The man is a disgrace as an unbiased moderator.(By the way the Diamond question was a joke.O.K.?)

November 16, 2007 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  6. Murray, PG, Virginia

I really don't see what the big deal is. It was the last question of the debate, and let's be honest with one another – we already know where these knuckle heads already stand. I do think Hillary was not being completely forthcoming however. We all know her husband loves to give women pearl necklaces! Sure she has a few. Maybe not.

November 16, 2007 04:08 am at 4:08 am |
  7. Donald, Portland, Oregon

I fail to see how the ordinary US citizen can relate to the choice Hillary Clinton must make between wearing diamonds or pearls. Our politicians are leading a fantasy life few real people ever have a hope of achieving.

November 16, 2007 04:24 am at 4:24 am |
  8. Steve, Porland, OR

So thats your final answer. Both as in both ways and the same problem keeps coming up. Your so nuerotic for the votes you can't even take a personal stand on the "I like issues". We need someone who is committed to answering with directness. Your the exact opposite of what this country needs right now and unfortunately as unlucky and gullibly stupid we are, you will probably be the next President. May god help us all, as I'm sure you won't.

November 16, 2007 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  9. Lori, Central Coast, California

Why can't people see that Joe Biden actually gives real answers to the questions asked? Even when it's about jewelry, folks! Get a clue and stop letting the media crown these candidates before a single vote is cast. Let's start talking about who is most qualified for the job.

November 16, 2007 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  10. vicky,boston,ma

The whole debate was a fraud! That is just what I have to say....

November 16, 2007 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  11. Cindy Independent, PA

The correct answer to diamond or pearls is PEACE!

Clinton's answer proves her heart is totally elitist and dangerously irrelevant.

November 16, 2007 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  12. MikePost, Bosie, Idaho

I actually watched the debate. The Q came at the very end from a young female student; it sort of caught Hillary off guard, but she answered in a funny way and my wife and I laughed.
    We may or may not vote for her, but she clearly is fast on her feet and quick witted.
    Also, throughout the debate she showed she knows the issues and I think she would be one tough president!

November 16, 2007 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  13. Jimenez - Texas

I wasn't going to watch the debate. The last debate made me sick to my stomach. But, I couldn't resist! I am so happy I watched! Clinton was amazing. The others guys didn't even come close except Biden. Great guy!

November 16, 2007 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  14. dmw, Roeland park, KS

I see nothing wrong with Hillary saying she wants it all! All of us want all we can get. Isn't that the American dream. Why does a person have to choose one or the other.

Go Hillary! We love you!

November 16, 2007 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  15. Lydia, Los Angeles, CA

When this is asked of a woman in a political debate I would expect more than an answer of which she would want. I am very surprised she did not mention the issues diamonds- something many women like her lust for- are attached to funding people in situations we should not be funding. I am not sure if the situation is the same for pearls, but I do know of some we are able to find in secure areas with less need of illegal funds. I am surprised this was not brought up when she is handed a question which make her out to be a dumb blonde.

November 16, 2007 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  16. Rapp, Mt. Holly NJ

My little addition to the blog.
    Maybe it is time that we look to choose a leader who will be a global leader instead of a global conquistador. Perhaps we should all ask ourselves one question. Which of the candidates has the ability to lead America back to the forefront of being a country that is looked up to rather than sneered at? Maybe we should all look around and remember that our country was founded on "We the people"...not Me the people which seems to be so true today. Our individualism will be our demise. There are pleanty of other nations that have a woman as a leader but rather than judge leadership based on gender perhaps we should choose a leader that will bring our nation back to where it once was.
    One Vote...One Voice. If you don't vote you have no right to complain.
    Good Day

November 16, 2007 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  17. Joel, Detroit MI

If you actually WATCHED the debate you would have known that this question only came after an intense 2 hour debate. It was just a little closing joke.

You people are ridiculous. Just accept that Obama didn't do that well and move on.

November 16, 2007 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  18. William, Reston, VA

Blitzer and CNN seemed biased towards Clinton and went out of their way to make Obama look not ready for prime time.

November 16, 2007 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  19. BCNU purple state, usa

Of course she wants both! AND, she wants you and I to pay fo it.

CNN blew this one by not instructing the audience to please hold their boos, jeers, cheers and cat calls.

Not like we neede to listen to her. I don't know how many time I've heard that tired old line about I've been fighting for people for 35 years, 90 year old ladies want me to be president etc, etc. It's like watching reruns, must be a writer's strike or something.

November 16, 2007 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  20. Janet, Katy, TX

This question was extremely insulting to women.

The fact that it was asked by a WOMAN makes it even MORE insulting.

November 16, 2007 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  21. Jack, Fort Myers, FL

This is obviously a planned question. Debates, and all other televisd events follow a cycle of tension...start out smooth, wrench up w/ tougher questions, and closing with something smooth, mellow. This was just something tossed in to try to end the debate segment in a light note. The only reason Hillary got the last question–is because she is the popular leader she rec'd the first and last question. There is no more meaning to this dumb question than that. What knuckleheads would possible think this shows favoritism by CNN? Anyhow–Hillary still showed greater presence, deportment, calmness under fire, and "executiveness" than all the others.

November 16, 2007 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  22. dave in atlanat

our kids are off at wat and we care if she wants diamonds or pearls? more reason to vote for guiliani

November 16, 2007 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  23. a voter, just a voter

Daniel from Virginia beach... what is an AEROBIC dictionary?

November 16, 2007 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  24. Tyler Bezio, New York

CNN Needs to Learn how to run a debate, They wasted 10 minutes in the beginning, then they had a good, solid and equal debate for about 15 minutes and the rest of the debate was literal crap. The Audience there was obviously full of Clinton Supporters and the other candidates couldn't even speak about their differences with her without being boo'd. They gave Hilary way too much speaking time as well. It felt like Hilary was hosting the debate! I used to watch CNN all the time but I'm going to MSNBC now, they know how to host equal debates.

November 16, 2007 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  25. Not a clinton-basher fan, Las Vegas

"Hillary Clinton will divide this country and ruin our economy."

I think the horse has already left the barn on those issues.

November 16, 2007 07:31 am at 7:31 am |