November 16th, 2007

A candidate's best friend?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but don't ask Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York to choose those over pearls.

"I know I'm sometimes accused of not being able to make a choice," Clinton said, laughing. "I want both."

Clinton was asked if she preferred diamonds or pearls during CNN's Democratic debate Thursday night. The first and last questions of the night were directed at her and concerned her ability to make a decision and stick with it.

Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware could be heard in the background saying that he liked diamonds better.

– CNN Associate Producer Lauren Kornreich

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Travis, Kent, Ohio

This is not news. This is just dumb.

November 16, 2007 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  2. Charles Becker

The woman in South Carolina hit it on the spot. Hillary is an indecisive whiner, loves to attack opponents, whether thay are in the same party or not, but cannot stand the heat. I left the Republican Party after thirty years and became an Independent due to my dissatisifaction with the party. Hillary is acting as bad as those that I chose to abandon.

November 16, 2007 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  3. CJ, Baltimore MD

This is just stupid.

November 16, 2007 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  4. Bay Area, California

What a ridiculous question. Do you think she was asked this because she was a woman? Of course she was. I don't see the men candidates being asked which fast car they prefer.

November 16, 2007 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  5. AWR, Louisville, KY

Are you kidding me? THIS is news? With all the issues this country and world face, THIS is what CNN decides to run as "Lastest news"? I thought you were a news organization and not E!

November 16, 2007 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  6. Maia, Palm Beach, FL

Clinton Nomination Network – why in the world did you allow such a shallow question? Aren't you ashamed?!

November 16, 2007 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  7. Ron, TX

The difference between Obama and Hillary's answer to driver's lisences: Obama has always said he was in favor of it, but that it would NOT be a presidential policy he tries to push. There was no waffling going on. Obama is straight as an arrow on EVERY question he answers. He just wanted to make clear that while he did think it is a good policy, it isn't something he would ever push as president. Blitzer was too busy trying to give Hillary a foot message to realize that. Hillary, on the other hand, took two weeks of public polling to decide that she wanted to change her mind and just flat out oppose it.

November 16, 2007 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  8. Alexander Stephens, Rochester NY

Great journalism folks.... NOT!!! If this is the best you can ask of our presidential candidates, then we will continue to have uninformed citizens on the real issues. DO YOUR JOB!!!

November 16, 2007 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  9. Pickles, Monaca, PA

Katherine of San Diego, you are absolutely right. The question was downright insulting.

When I hear of a female candidate being asked "Diamonds or pearls?" or hear that a candidate's wife attended a tea party, was part of a "First Ladies Tour," or is asked whether she bakes cookies, it makes me want to cringe. How can we say with a straight face that we, as a nation, are mature enough to have a woman in the White House when we still have these outdated conceptions about what piques the "little lady's" interest?

No, we are not ready for any woman to enter the White House. Shallow questions of this nature prove it, and I am deeply ashamed.

November 16, 2007 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  10. Ed Washington DC

What Hillary really means: Do as I say, not as I do ...or else.

November 16, 2007 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  11. Betty Webster NY

She should have said neither and really shown her leadership skills by not conforming to that stupid cliche "diamonds are a womans best friend".
    I concurr...lighten up people!

November 16, 2007 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  12. Walt, Belton, TX

Any questions whether CNN is part of the Hillary's News Network along with the rest of the liberal media? How come they used Wolf Blitzer, was Larry King taking a nap?

November 16, 2007 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  13. Rebecca, Dallas, TX

I can't believe anyone is analyzing Hillary's response the diamonds vs pearls question. I believe the question was simply a way to end the dabate on a light note. It's no wonder that Hillary has to be carefull with all of her responses, when every word she utters is criticized, every comment she makes is dissected, and some "journalists" are even claiming to know what she is thinking.

She is tough, she will continue to shine, and I honestly believe she will make a difference.

November 16, 2007 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  14. Willy, Chesapeake, VA

Another softball question by the CNN minions to make their darling Mrs. Bill Clinton the favorite and like able. What do you expect from the Clinton News Network.

November 16, 2007 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  15. Rapscallioness, Albuquerque, NM

Ha Ha! Indeed, after I got over my initial disgust at "Diamonds or Pearls?" Tee Hee, Tee Hee, Blink, Blink. I thought..well, okay..just for fun..which one? And Sen. Clinton still didn't answer straight! I threw my hands up and walked away. "On that note.." says Wolf. Don't waste my time like that again CNN.

Also CNN, do me a favor and actually allot enough time during your debates for the candidates to really answer their questions.

Yes or No answers are quite simply not sufficient. Not when there are so many different intertwining issues.

And when the CNN "Council" of journalists asks questions, I'd appreciate straightforward ones. "What are your plans to resolve..."

Not this, Well you said this, but then you did that...etc. etc. "Gotcha!" Come on. You can do that any time. You do do that anytime you want. And don't hijack the audience questions anymore...Suzanne.

November 16, 2007 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  16. Michael Smith, Bradley,IL

Clinton is the biggest flip flopper in the field. What a professional politican. We need a straight shooter for President.
    Wolf has got to be the worst moderator of all. Quit interrupting folks and let them finish. Let all candidates respond not just the front runners.

November 16, 2007 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  17. Charles, The Pas, Manitoba, Canada

I think Biden will gain from this debate. No one dared to come back at him over his remarks. I'm totally impressed by this person. It seemed to me he's got a lot of respect from the others and they know, he should be the person for the Job! Kudos to Biden tonight and God help America in this crucial decision. A Republican in disguise. Too confident, too cocky. America needs a definate look, feel, and sense, like Mr. Biden, Obama. But with CNN's bias coverage, Clinton is a sure bet. Wow, history repeats itself. Scary stuff to watch.

November 16, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  18. Mark Reynolds IOWA

Hillary was OUTSTANDING last night! and will the next PRESIDENT!!

Edwards was too angry and obama just wasnt making an sense? he fumbles when he talks, not making sense...the reason he does well alone is because he isnt next to the others who are very much more experienced and it shows in the debates

November 16, 2007 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  19. Jim L., Irmo, SC

CNN, I'm finding it easy now to quit you. The funny thing is, I don't think you all understand that your blatant favoritism towards Hillary actually pushes people away from her and supports the storyline that she is orchestrating, manipulative, and has CNN in her pantsuit pocket. This election cycle may have done/be doing irreparable damage to CNN's image.
    I might have to agree with the previous poster: "Once again I am reminded why the Lehrer report is the only credible news broadcast on TV"

November 16, 2007 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  20. Harry, NY NY

remember that the diamond and pearl question supposedly came from an undecided voter.

Then came the "cute" comment and the "only thing sparkling on stage comment".

What an inane, stupid question.

Instead of focusing on the fact that all of Hillary's votes in the Senate basically enable Bush-Cheney, we are talking about diamonds and pearls.

What a joke.

November 16, 2007 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  21. Flagship, Hartford, CT

The question was presented just to lighten up the tension.
    Kinda like starting a presentation with a joke or funny story.
    Everyone is taking it too seriously.
    All the canidates did very well, I am very proud of all of them.
    Obama took a slight hit, but presented himself quite well over all.

November 16, 2007 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  22. BRIAN, FLORIDA

WHAT A SHAME. WITH THE PROBLEMS THAT OUR NATION FACES THAT WE WOULD EVEN CHOOSE TO TALK ABOUT WHAT TYPE OF JEWERLY MRS CLINTON PREFERS.

November 16, 2007 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  23. A Vet, Florida

Typical Clinton answer, give me everything, I deserve it, I'm a Clinton. Like all of her responses last night, she again demonstrates that she won't be candid about her position on any topic that can jeopardize her lead and rightful place as president. All of the candidates last night demonstrated just how dangerous the liberal agenda really is. The fate of our country and all free nations around the globe rests with critical decisions made by the next administration. If licenses and social programs for illegal's are more important than the war against terrorism and our commitment to defend America and allies against the threats by other nations regardless of cost and human loss than we are destine to experience a fate far greater than that of 9-11. Lastly, consider for a moment the combined cost for freedom in WWII, 73 million military and civilian losses, 3.7% of the world population at that time and how our lives would have been changed should the outcome of the war and our commitment been that of democrats today as we face the real potential of a WWIII.

November 16, 2007 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  24. Gabriel, Phoenix, AZ

Watched the debate last night. Was looking forward to see what they had to say about my candidate, and folks if you looking for experience better take a look at Joe Biden, and if you don't support him I want to know why. The entire hour of post debate coverage Clinton, Clinton, Clinton, Clinto, Obama, Clinton, Clinton, Edwards, Clinton. I almost throw up in my mouth. Now, as the details are coming out the Fox Noise owns Rudy (thank you for the THAT story Keith), I'm beginning to believe CNN had THEIR endorosement. For the Hillary supporters I have to ask "what is it?". Is it because Bill would be back in the WH, is it because she is a woman? What IS it? You know "IF" she gets the nom it will put the GOP in the race, without her we clean up. CNN you should be ashamed! There were other candidates to talk about, where was THAT coverage. Biden won the debate hands DOWN!

November 16, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  25. Norm, Villas, NJ

Boo on Blitzer for not allowing equal time to the candidates.

November 16, 2007 08:48 am at 8:48 am |