November 16th, 2007

Analysis: Clinton makes a recovery in Las Vegas debate

Sen. Hillary Clinton

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton stepped into the ring Thursday in this city known for prize fights, successfully beating back an onslaught of punches thrown from the left and right as her opponents sought to rattle the front-runner seven weeks before the Iowa caucuses.

Clinton, who entered this Democratic debate vulnerable following a lackluster performance two weeks ago, came out fighting in the first round.

For the New York Democrat, a good defense was a strong offense, and she sought to silence her critics who stood just feet away.

"I don't mind taking hits on my record, on issues," she said. "But when somebody starts throwing mud, at least we can hope that it's both accurate and not right out of the Republican playbook."

Full story

1. Michael, Houston, Tx

Hillary came away looking great.
    Biden made some good points, too bad he does not have a chance.
    Richardson came off with one or two good points, but came away as soft with his unrealistic – human rights is more important than national security
    Obama slipped in some of his own mud, and fumbled the ball on some. He did make a few good points as well, but did nothing to distinguish himself.
    Edwards looked and sounded like a desperate man.
    Dodd did not make much noise
    Kuchinich was good comic relief

Hillary won this one… and needs to, she is the best candidate

November 16, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Eyong Ebot,Gainesville,GA

if the debate in philadelphia was moderated by CNN,she(Hillary)would still be the winner.Shame to CNN

November 16, 2007 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. Jacob A, Des Moines, IA

I was a strong clinton supporter, but watching hillary debate after debate I am realizing she doesn't stand for anything. I am really disappointed in her. She seems to project that she is a strong leader, but hasn't given any specific answers. She laughs more than directly answer a question, and cry when someone questions her. Expected more, I guess should have kept my expectation low.

Time to research about other candidates, Biden really impressed me, and Obama wasn't far behind either. Leaning to vote for either Biden or Obama

November 17, 2007 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  4. Chad Johnson New York

clinton is a one trick pony. It is ALWAYS the fault of the republicans. Some how we left the primaries, smoke and mirrors so that she doesn't have to say what she will do . Always a problem and never a solution. Please quit beating that horse, it is dead!

November 17, 2007 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  5. A. Thomas, New York, NY

All I remember from the 2-hr debate is that Hillary wowed the audience, while Edwards got boo from the audience. Obama mumbled and fumbled.

November 17, 2007 05:34 am at 5:34 am |
  6. Ed Keppel Bridgeville Pa

Why didn't they ask Mrs. Clinton about the drivers license for illegals in NY?

November 17, 2007 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  7. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

Watched it, loved it, very proud of Senator Clinton.

Read some of the canned garbage from the "Hillary Haters", get a life you guys. If she was guilty of blatant corruption as some of you believe, don't you think she would be in a federal prison somewhere instead of the United States Senate. She has been vetted and investigated more than any other candidate on the stage. For years Hillary and Bill have been investigated to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Don't you think if there was something to find, they would have found it.

You don't like Hillary? Okay, not required to, but that doesn't make her corrupt or criminal.

Go Hillary!

November 17, 2007 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  8. john k. riggs Eagle Pass Texas

Vince Foster may never recover.

November 17, 2007 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  9. Frances G. Nichols, Lebanon, TN

November 17, 2007 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  10. Adam, Plano, TX

hillary was out of her league in this debate. every single candidate put on a stronger performance than her, because they actually had something to say, and actually answered the questions. her performance was more of the same, mudslinging.

November 17, 2007 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  11. Anonymous, NN, VA

"I hope Hillary wins and makes Bill her Vice President. Now wouldn't that make the republicans angry."

**********************

THIS MENTALITY (FROM BOTH SIDES) IS EXACTLY WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICAN POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is time to wipe the slate clean America. NO MORE CLINTONS, NO MORE BUSHes. Anyone who expouses this nonsense should be ignored. Both Parties should support candidates that provide CONVINCING civility to America.

November 17, 2007 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  12. Anonymous, Ames, IA

It was amusing to see reactions of the audience to outlandish PROMISES made by the candidates. It amount of heckling in the audience struck me as odd...it struck me as being staged to influence perceptions of the candidates. I found CNN debate to be a bit biased toward select candidates no only by how floor time was allocated, but also in the line of questioning. To me the Clinton camp seemed to be favored.

November 17, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. ne,pa.

Edwards calls her out and she can't take it! She looked like she was standing there naked!

November 17, 2007 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. LQ, ROCHESTER MN

I have been undecided for a long time altho' definitely voting Democrat. I like Obama, but have been open about Hillary. Clinton definitely was favored in that debate by Wolf (shame on you CNN), but I wouldn't say she won this one at all. In fact, the more I see of her, the more I don't like. I will of course vote for her if she is the Dem nominee, but after that debate, I am definitely planning on looking into Biden.

November 17, 2007 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. John Griffths Michigan

Analysis: Hillary can't even answer soft ball questions. The question is was which do you prefer, not which would you like to have, diamonds or pearls, her answer: I want both! what a selfish beeeeeaaach. The funny thing she still didn't answer the question, which one does she prefer. Fence sitting Billary still can't answer no wonder she hasn't left her husband, she can't think for herself!

November 17, 2007 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. Jacob Chicago, IL

Hillary Clinton is the next president of the USA!
    This is one formidable, experienced, and COMPETENT woman who knows how to defend herself and her country!
    BRAVO!

November 18, 2007 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  17. mark wilkes barre pa

I think TOM from Albuquerquo NM mighy really be john hinckly Jr in disguise,,,, BE CAREFUL HILLARY,,,, there is a poetic love lust in how he describes hillary's every move,,, SCARREY!!!!!!!!!!

November 18, 2007 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  18. JJ Jacksonville, FL

Are you SERIOUSLY calling that a 'recovery'? Sort of obvious now that CNN supports Clinton. You know, with their Hillary-favoring debate questions and all.

November 19, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Hillary Clinton is the next president of the USA!
    BRAVO!

Posted By Jacob Chicago, IL : November 18, 2007 6:58 am

Any actual reasons why Jacob, I think us non-sheep would call them facts.

WHY is she so great?

I can't wait to read the details so I can also make an informed opinion.

November 19, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |