November 16th, 2007

Huckabee gets more good news in Iowa

Huckabee continues to get good news out of Iowa.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new Iowa poll indicates Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is nearly tied for first with rival Mitt Romney, the latest in a string of Hawkeye State polls showing good news for the former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee draws support from 24 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers in a new Des Moines Register poll released Friday. That puts him only 2 percentage points behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Meanwhile, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson are tied in third place with 11 percent. Arizona Sen. John McCain is only slightly behind with 10 percent.

But with 48 days to go before the January 3 caucus, the poll also found 13 percent of Republicans are completely undecided.

On the Democratic side, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton is at 27 percent, holding a 6 point lead over both Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and a 7 point lead over former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson draws 12 percent

The poll surveyed 1200 likely caucus-goers, 600 from each party, and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

– CNN Political Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Iowa • Presidential Candidates
  1. Dan from Boston, MA

If I am a Republican, I will vote for this guy.He is funny, smart, with experiences in managing a state (well, not a big one).

November 16, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. Christian, Tampa FL

After having our "Evangelical President" for eight years, it's difficult for me to believe that America wants a Southern Baptist minister as the leader of the free world.

There's nothing wrong with someone being a follower of Christ(I am one), but someone who is against things like gay marriage because it "goes against God's laws" has no business being president.

November 16, 2007 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Steve in SC

Huckabee could be the biggest surprise in Iowa. I like this guy!

November 16, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. pat huntington ny

We don't need any more bible beating hate mongers like Huckabee or Romney or any Republican as president again. This guy is dangerous – he doesn't believe in evolution, thinks creationism is science, believes the world is 5000 years old and we all came from Adam and Eve, and would have this country renamed the Christian Republic of America like Iran! If he's elected, all women should start getting themselves fitted for the christian equivalent of a burka...a moo moo house dress.

November 16, 2007 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. Susan

Wake up people! Huckabee has it all. Look him up and find out what makes him the choice for everyone.

November 16, 2007 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  6. James, Phoenix AZ

The more I hear Mike speak (saw him do interview last night)... the more I like his style, humor, and respect his authenticity.

It would be a bit entertaining to see Mike Huckabee (Ark Governor) going up against Hillary (Ark defector).

November 16, 2007 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

I'm beginning to think that the dark horse will be transformed in the GOP darling. Though he's republican he is liberal on some issues important to reasonable voters. When compared with his boarist contenders he looks better and better. He doesn't have the baggage of Giuliani nor the flipflops of Romney , or the boredom of Thompson.

November 16, 2007 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. jimmy, austin, tx

pat huntington ny :

more tolerance from the tolerant left. He doesnt believe in evolution SO WHAT, its no more fact then creationism, however I believe ther is enough evidence to make evolution more believable, but who cares, whats his stance on taking all my money for govt handouts, whats his stance on fixing iraq, how is he going to secure the borders, or will we be known as canamerimex and have the amero as our currency. those are some of the things I care about. You keep on preaching tolerance though.

November 16, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Colton, Murphy NC

Huckabee continues to show that someone else besides the political jaugernauts has a chance for the nomination. GO MIKE!!

November 16, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. Mary Shaw Iowa

clinton is the clear and only choice for 2008!
    IOWA LOVES HILLARY

November 16, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  11. Brian Cottonwood Heights, Ut

There is such a thing as evolution, common descent though is still debated. We have seen evolution happen with our own human race getting taller, stronger, faster, smarter. We have seen it in the animal kingdom where the animals change so that they may survive in their habitat.

November 16, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. roger, conway sc

After the last several years of the GOP it is time to move on NO REPUBLICANS in 08, I do not care if he is a Southern Baptist or Catholic Priest....As a moderate democrat I usually do not vote a straight Dem ticket but this time around I will...Dems may not be perfect but I am so tired of the hypocritical holier than thou right wingers...VOTE DEMOCRATIC 08...

November 16, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. Ian, Eastham MA

Uhg. He's funny? Is that all you've got? His biggest issues are more Iraq, more "Family Values", and more illegal immigration.

How about:
    Less foreign military intervention
    Less government involvement in our lives
    Lower taxes, no income tax
    Getting rid of the Patriot Act
    Protecting our borders instead of Iraq's

How about Ron Paul?

November 16, 2007 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. Nick

Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich should hook up, so Dennis could tell Ron about all his UFO sightings, and because they are both crazy!!

November 16, 2007 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  15. Rodney Dallas TX

I don't consider myself a republican but do agree with republicans on certain issues (i.e. abortion, illegal immigration) but I think any candidate would be better than Mitt Romney. I'd like to see an Independent win this election but sadly, none are running. Why does it always have to be one side or the other?

November 16, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. EUNICE, MARYLAND, U.S.A.

Hello, Pat from Huntington NY,

I wonder where you got all that information from about Mike Huckabee?
    Stop making up stories about this guy just because you don't like him. At least try to be sensible and objective and stop telling lies. Well, Am glad he is doing well now and I think he is the only one that makes sense on both sides and am praying for him now and have even donated to his campaign and I hope you do so too. This guy is going to win this election. So far his record is very good for the position. Give him some credit and stop rumor mongering.

November 16, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Jim Jensen

Nick,

Was Benjamin Franklin crazy? Thomas Jefferson? Rufus King? Alexander Hamilton? Richard Bassett?

These were all signers of the Constitution of the United States.

The constitution is why you have this way of life. Read it.

Ron Paul will govern this country, for the people.

November 16, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. mama was a duck, daddy was a gator, everglades fl

Why is it that the tolerant ones, those so scared of global warming are generally evolutionists? Relax guys, let the globe warm, we'll simply change with it, who knows we might develop a gland that breathes carbon and emits drinking water.

Counter intuitive? You be the judge.

November 16, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. ronnie - knoxville tn

Oh, yes the DemWits are tolerant of views they agree with ! But if they don't agree with you – and they seem to disdain Christianity and organized religion in general- they come up with some reason why you're the bad guy and why they just can't "tolerate" a faith-centered President.

November 16, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. pat huntington ny

jimmy, austin, tx : November 16, 2007 12:03 pm
    .....the answer to your post is simple...we don't need another evangelical president prosecuting another culture war which is what you'll get with Huckabee. You won't get progress...you'll get the same crap we've been handed from Bush and co. And sorry, but evolution is proven science, while creationism is based on belief in the supernatural, the very opposite of science. If we had a president who denounced evolutionary theory, and embraced as purported fact creationism, we'ld be the laughing stock of the industrialized world! And we'ld turn into a 3rd world theocratic nation. Is that what you want? If so, then vote for Huckabee...

November 16, 2007 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. Brian Thomas, Lawrenceburg, IN

I also support Gov. Huckabee. It also just slays me how people who are opposed to anything associated with Judeo-Christian virtue just lather at the mouth when someone does well. These people act as though anyone of faith is an idiot and that they have the only answer....something wrong there? YES!!! It's exactly the same charge they level at anyone that contends their faith directs their public actions.

I don't like all of Huckabee's platform...but I love the Fair Tax, I like the idea of someone that will try to break our indepdence on foreign oil, and I like compassion with fiscal discipline. He most agrees with me on those. Sadly, I live in Indiana and probably won't even get the chance to vote for him thanks to our insane primary calendar.

November 16, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. Ben Allbright, Little Rock AR

Huckabee is the only chance the repubs have of winning in the coming election. He's moderate enough to get the swing vote, and his Fair TAX plan is one all sides can agree on

November 16, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. Travis

Huckabee is very likable! I just wonder if he has the chops for the big stage...

November 16, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  24. Kim, Sacramento, CA

I am a Democrat and will be voting for Barack Obama, who I strongly believe will be the Democratic parties nominee.

I would LOVE for the Republicans to nominate Huckabee and see an Obama vs Huckabee general election.

This would set up one of the cleanest, issue focused Presidential campaigns in a very long time. You would have two fresh faces of people who are not Washington insiders and who you can trust. This would be very refreshing and what America is all about.

November 16, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. Andrew, NJ

He'll take Iowa because its a bible thumper state.

But don't expect him to do well anywhere else. Why? Because even a moron realizes that you can't put up a religious zealot, because it'll alienate every independent who don't want a religious nut in the white house.

And to people who like him because he is a sweet talker? Maybe you should look up his stances, the guy may be a social conservative...but fiscally he might as well run on a democratic ticket. He is called tax hike mike for a reason

November 16, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |