November 16th, 2007

Huckabee gets more good news in Iowa

Huckabee continues to get good news out of Iowa.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A new Iowa poll indicates Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is nearly tied for first with rival Mitt Romney, the latest in a string of Hawkeye State polls showing good news for the former Arkansas governor.

Huckabee draws support from 24 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers in a new Des Moines Register poll released Friday. That puts him only 2 percentage points behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Meanwhile, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson are tied in third place with 11 percent. Arizona Sen. John McCain is only slightly behind with 10 percent.

But with 48 days to go before the January 3 caucus, the poll also found 13 percent of Republicans are completely undecided.

On the Democratic side, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton is at 27 percent, holding a 6 point lead over both Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and a 7 point lead over former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson draws 12 percent

The poll surveyed 1200 likely caucus-goers, 600 from each party, and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

– CNN Political Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Iowa • Presidential Candidates
  1. James Rosario, Commack, Commack, New York

Be realistic. Huckabee is not electable. He may have what it takes but that has nothing to do with political reality. Remember who is leading on the Democratic side!!!! Unless you want Clinton in the office then you go with who can win. I have yet to see anyone on either side to address the hard issues (S.S, Medicare, etc.) so I am left with less of two evils.

November 16, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Rob, Virginia

I find it funny how people like to comment on a candidate about how bad they are without knowing the persons background or facts. FACT: Mike Huckabee is the best choice for president and the only choice where we don't fall like Rome and end up speaking chineese. But go ahead and blindly vote for Hillary Clinton or Rudy because the media tells you they are the best candidates.

November 16, 2007 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. Jed in Texas

Just what America needs another Walmart owned and operated Politico.More Red Chinese imports,Nafta etc.This guy is a K-Street stooge,bought and paid for by Wall Street.

November 16, 2007 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. Bill, Phoenix, AZ

This country can not stand another term of the talibangelous republiCON reich wing trying to force the US to be a "christian" nation. From what I've read and heard about Huckabee he should be a janitor at the big house Baptist church. Yea right, the world is flat and 6,000 years old according to this guy. And some of you think he should be the leader of all Americans. It can't happen with a reich winger like him. NO more RepubliCONS, ever.

November 16, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  5. Larry / Covington, Louisiana

Memo to Pat from NY:

It is interesting that you would link those who believe the Bible with hate mongers. Been by a Salavation Army shelter lately or perhaps St. Judes hospital for children? Pat, you are blinded by your own hatred, and that is unfortunate. Are your criticisms as severe for the Bible-believing founders of this nation? Or for those who today humbly sacrifice for others precisely because of their beliefs? I hope not. 40 years ago I was an atheist (even a smart one), and then I finally saw how wrong I was.

And as for Christian women being belittled in some fashion in your imagination as Muslim women often are, one has to wonder what has prompted such venom from you. You may have your own reasons, but they have precious little to do with what Huckabee honestly stands for, whether a person supports him politically or not.

November 16, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  6. Aaron in az

I dont agree with the guy on anything but I respect him but he does not pick and chose his Christain beliefs unlike much of the rublicans latly who seem to be s full of hate and so supportive of violence while professing to be devote christains.

November 16, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. William, New York City, New York

I can not imagine this country having another Baptist minister as president.
    I want a President that does not use religion to divide the country. I want a President that can bring us together with accions and laws. No more Bible readings in the White House. Enough is Enough.

November 16, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. David, Savannah, GA

Hey Nick I think you are right, Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich should hook up!.. Maybe then our country might have a chance in hell to actually be about freedom and liberty. Keep supporting the Fascist Corporate sponsered puppets buddy!!!
    It's so intelligent of you to call these successful politician crazy, nice! are you in the third grade?

November 16, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. Joe,Miami,Florida

If you like oportunistic, populist puppets than Huckabee is your man, why not just select Bush for another term, they are pretty much the same. Why not vote for someone that has America's (therefore yours and your family) welfare in mind and is not just going to be another Bible beater with tunnel vision. If you actually read about the man I am describing I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Ron Paul 2008

November 16, 2007 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  10. Paul Thompson

In my opinion, Americans pick the candidate that they hope will be the most decent. With that in mind, who could beat Huckabee?

And all these people that think that evolution is some proven fact could perhaps quit living in a box...it's really a absurd theory that has become a philosophical ideology for athiest. True science would have scraped this useless theory long ago. Believe what you want....just don't tread on me.

Go Huck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 16, 2007 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. scott

Rudy is the most like Hillary which means it will be harder to beat her. We need someone least like her. I think Mike is least like her, so therefore the best candidate to beat her. The one thing I like about Mike is that he's who he is. He hasn't changed based upon the political winds.

November 16, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Roy, St. Louis MO

Amazed that people just accept evolution as "proven science"....you're like sheep following the evolutionary shephard.....tell me what is so proven about it??? Just think about this – has mankind with all its technological capabilities ever been able to create the most simple life form....NO...so how do you think a "bunch of goo" and a billion years was able to.

November 16, 2007 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Nat, Brooklyn, NY

Besides everything else, Mike is pro-illegal immigration. Will never vote for the person who praises the people who disrespect our laws and borders!

November 16, 2007 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  14. Jason, Beardstown, IL

I like Huckabee, as long as he tells the truth, the truth, and nothing but the truth, I definitely would consider voting for the guy. As to some of the other posters who spassed out on his beliefs I believe there is nothing wrong with running for president and being a person of faith. If Huckabee has integrity and believes in speaking the truth on everything I would definitly favor him. There's too much deception and lies in politics nowadays. That's the problem with W, IMHO he was more in tune with the politics of the Bush family than in what some people call "evangelical" He demonstrated that by being into wars and free trade. From my viewpoint He was nothing but politics as usual. It would be good to hear what Huckabee stands on many issues, but he is definitly a cut above the rest of the republican field, McCain (too war gullilble) Giuliani (too liberal) Romney (too crazy) Huckabee would be Hillary's worst nightmare

November 16, 2007 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. Ron R. Oakland, CA

What's the good news? Is the earth really flat like he's claimed all along?

November 16, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. Nick

Maybe the reason why so many people are liberal are because they want the government to control their life because they are too irresponsible to make their own decisions. This especially applies to poor people, black people, and non religious people.

I know i can make my decisions better than the government can.
    That is why I am a Republican, and that is why I will vote for Mike Huckabee.
    And not for the Socialist Hillary Clinton.

November 16, 2007 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  17. Jay Northern Cambria, PA

WOW, here is a guy who is pro life, supports gun ownership and rejects same sex marriage. All the things our country was based on, he gets my vote. If you watched the dems circus last night and do not see that they will say anything to get a vote, then you have to respect Mike for taking a stand and not flip flopping on it.

November 16, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  18. sam

I am so hoping for Huckabee so that the Republicans will have absolutely no chance in the general election. Go Huckabee – bring about the conclusion of the era of the religious right as a legitimate American political power. Those of us on the left are trully blessed that the Republican field is filled with such un-charismatic fiends that a guy like this is rallying the base because in a general election he is toast.

November 16, 2007 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  19. Bryan, Boston Ma

I love Mitt Romney. Huckabee is anything but presidential. Romney defines poise, communication, rock-bed leadership experience and a well-spring of intelligence and analytical prowess unmatched by the other candidates. He has the spit-fire to dismantle Hillary (you should have seen him in the governor's race in the general election). Hillary is not electable against Romney. The milquetoast coddling of Hillary by the media and democrats is coming to a screeching end come general election vs Romney. I can't WAIT for the generals. ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT.

November 16, 2007 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  20. Rod, San Diego, CA

Pat from NY…

Hate mongers… I find that somewhat amusing as you spew your venomous hatred at Huckabee solely because of his religious belief. Is this your only reason for disliking this guy? He is dangerous??? Why, because he doesn’t agree with your views? And when did he say he wanted to rename this country the “Christian Republic of America” (like Iran???)? I must have missed that one. And it is called the THEORY of evolution for a reason. Who’s the hate monger Pat? It appears to be you and the rest of the intolerant left. Wait, I take that back… You’re not a hate monger… You’re just plain crazy… I think you should start taking 2 pills a day now Pat!

I’d love to see this guy keep rising in the polls. It’ll sure make things interesting.

November 16, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  21. Tim Swanson - Des Moines Iowa

Mr. Huckabee – Why do they hate you?

"If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world — therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, 'Servants are not greater than their master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. But they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father also. If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not have sin. But now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to fulfill the word that is written in their law, 'They hated me without a cause.'

Oh! Thanks

November 16, 2007 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  22. No More Bush-Clinton part 2

What an interesting read this evening. I don't plan on voting republican in the next election unless Hillary wins for my party, but Huckabee does sound interesting. And the more I read about him, the more I like him. Of course if Hillary is the democrat nominee, I'd even vote for the less than impressive Rudy just to cast my vote against another Clinton in the White House.
    Sheesh, I wonder if they still claim a tax deduction for donating Bill's old used underwear to charity.

November 16, 2007 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  23. ME, LOS ANGELES, CA

GO HUCKABEE!!!

November 17, 2007 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  24. Eric Palmer Illinois

Interesting. Many have posted here about the former Gov. of Arkansas, but few from Iowa have made remarks as Iowa is a very important state in the Primary process for both parties.

I am from Illinois and, as Iowa is a very importnat agra-economic partner of Illinois, I would actually like to hear from Iownas... GOP or Dem on him....

He is very interesting and is from a very heavy agra-econmy state.

November 17, 2007 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  25. Ian, Ann Arbor

Mike Huckabee's ardent support ( http://snipurl.com/fthuckabeeonirs) for the FairTax sets him apart from all other viable presidential candidates. The FairTax Act of 2007 (HR 25 / S 1025) ( http://snipurl.com/irsgone ) represents a prospective power shift of massive proportions in America. It lays out a practical ideal of voluntary tax payment, based on a substantial level of taxpayer choice that the plan affords. Since FairTax untaxes basic necessities (up to socially-accepted levels of poverty-level spending), what is taxed is marginal, and/or desired or preferred, on a broader base of retail products and services. This is to say that the taxpayer may, under the FairTax, choose to purchase used products and avoid paying the tax. And, to the extent desired, the taxpayer may choose to self-perform certain services rather than pay for them. This will stimulate do-it-yourself education, improve citizens' self-reliance; indeed the FairTax represents the possibility of ushering in a new "can-do citizen psychology" that would accrue to greater demands for government accountability – truly, a cultural sea change.

Government is the "necessary glue" that enables the social fabric to cohere. It does this by effecting "rules" that ostensibly provide members with equitable access to wealth and resources. It also must provide ostensibly equitable enforcement of those rules in order to mitigate threats to the social fabric. It is unrealistic to believe that the structures of a national government can be supported on donations, thus the need for taxes. Naysayers love to characterize anything purporting to be a "fair tax" as an oxymoron – but it is not true. The idea of fairness has to do with equitable sharing in the cost by all members who depend upon the social fabric for food, shelter, clothing and post-necessity economic enterprise. And, because of the shift of power from politicians and special interests under an enacted FairTax, the elected will find it more difficult to both enlarge government, and implement any dual system of taxation. FairTax strategist, Dennis Calabrese, discusses how the FairTax repeals the income tax ( http://snipurl.com/repealsinctax ), how it does away with the IRS ( http://snipurl.com/doesawaywithirs ), and how it addresses other aspects ( http://snipurl.com/ftvideofaqs ) of frequent concern to skeptics.

The FairTax has a much greater opportunity for success to operate as a "self-regulating" mechanism because of increased visibility. One finds that the current system, ostensibly regulated by the Internal Revenue Code, is in fact poorly regulated because of continually increasing complexity (the effect of "tax favors" from politicians, through lobbyists, to favored corporations and other special interests) stemming from the desire by those holding government position to steer public behavior using tax code "carrots." We have seen how 100 years of this type of behavior has eroded the Nation's currency and the purchasing power of working family incomes. "Visionist," Tom Frey believes the current tax system will soon simply collapse ( http://snipurl.com/incometaxcollapse ); and economist Laurence Kotlikoff heralds that – short of enactment of FairTax (or an otherwise unlikely change in spending habits) – the U.S. will shortly facing an irrevocable economic breakdown ( http://snipurl.com/meltdowninprogress ). (Kotlikoff believes that passage of the FairTax can stave off the economic ruin we're facing, but would be surprised to see it happen.)

Frey and Kotlikoff may be right on both counts, and we may not be able to successfully evoke change; but shall we not try?

Mike Huckabee believes we should. ( http://snipr.com/scrapthecode )

November 17, 2007 02:59 am at 2:59 am |