November 16th, 2007

Poll: Electability drives Giuliani lead in Nevada

Rudy Giuliani campaigns in Henderson, Nevada

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (CNN) – Now that the Democrats are done debating in Las Vegas, it's time for the next act. Bring on the elephants.

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll of likely Nevada Republican caucus goers shows Rudy Giuliani in first place in the choice for a presidential nominee.

The former New York City mayor was the first choice of 29 percent in the survey out Friday.

Giuliani was campaigning in the Silver State earlier this week and he said that "we want to make sure that we give ourselves every chance to win Nevada."

Mitt Romney, who's campaigning in Las Vegas Friday, is in second place, at 21 percent. The former Massachusetts governor is followed by former Senator from Tennessee Fred Thompson with 14 percent and Senator John McCain of Arizona at 12 percent. Read the complete poll results (PDF)

The remaining GOP presidential candidates are all in single digits: Texas Rep. Ron Paul 8 percent, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee 4 percent, California Rep. Duncan Hunter 4 percent, and Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo 3 percent.

Full story

– CNN's Bill Schneider and Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Nevada • Poll numbers
  1. Clayton, Barre VT

Giuliani's campaign is headed to nowhereville and his last stop will be worse than Howard Deans scream. Mostly because the image of Guiliani in a dress screaming is much worse than Dean screaming yah just as the microphone finally cuts back on.

This guy can't keep his family together unless you consider keepin it in the family as 'together'. Oh yah, that didn't work either. Oh well, three wives and no kids that will support your claim of being a family values guy. Please do tell how this guy is even in the Republican thoughts. His numbers are about tank faster than capital in any business George W Bush has run into the ground.

November 17, 2007 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  2. Daniel, Mordor, alaska

This man is joke. It shows the stupidity in this country. Who would vote for this man? he been a mayor once. Ofcourse the morons that live here did vote W in twice. Well, at least the second time anyway. If Rudy gets elected I will move from this country.

November 17, 2007 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  3. Phil, Waxhaw, NC

Many peole consider this election to be critical to our nations future. I agree with this but, our choices for a president bring us the same old BS people that have destroyed our country. The only contender that could really help our country is Ron Paul yet, he is not even being considered by the GOP because corporate America is not going to allow him to be elected. Same goes for Dennis Kucinich. These two are the kind of people we need leadig our country. I received a survey in the mail from the Republican Senatorial Committee and one of the questions was which republican would I consider voting for in 2008 for president. Ron Paul was not even listed as a choice!
    Either Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul will be getting my vote. I will not vote a party line ever again just to see our country destroyed.

November 17, 2007 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  4. Sue, Michigan

Twenty-nine per cent approval? That means SEVENTY-ONE per cent of Nevada Republicans would NOT vote for him! I realize that there are many of each party who will vote for that candidate no matter his qualifications (isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place?) but this man has more nefarious things in his past than Capone.
    I'm really tired of these daily polls any way...why can't they tell us that of 1000 Republicans polled by phone, or was it 500, or 2000? In any case, it is always a SMALL minority and they get a big news story from it. I'd love to see the polls STOPPED for about two weeks, and then see what is really going on. I just cannot believe any sane person would vote for this creep, but I said the same thing in '04 about Bush/Cheney, and I was right!

November 17, 2007 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  5. Jay, Kenosha, WI

Your headline is false.

Your study shows 60% believe Giuliani has the best chance to defeat a Democrat (electability) but only 29% currently choose Giuliani. So more people are voting for the best candidate than electability.

CNN, why do you want people to believe Republicans aren't voting for the best candidate?

November 17, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. Kevin Relling NV

This guys has no credibility, its a shame the best person the republicians have is Giuliani???? what a joke...

Lets find out how he helped the men & women who are suffering from 9/11 related illnesses! Giuliani is an extension of Bush! dont vote for Giuliani!!!!

November 17, 2007 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  7. xtina - chicago IL

I think Reagan said if a candidate has 80 percent thinking in line with what you believe , then vote for him. Hillary supporters have to decide whether or not to accept she's a bit more into war than the others, just as Guiliani supporters have to decide whether or not to accept his stance on abortion. We voters decide which issues are dealbreakers and which we can live with.

November 17, 2007 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  8. Mike,Panama City,FL

I just read the article on Rudy saying to conservatives that I will chose conservative judges .

What bothers me about this is that Rudy is obviously not a right winger but he wants to act like one , Rudy is obviously more of a liberal republican

He is not trutful how can you vote for somebody like this , Havent we had enough of BUSH

and didnt bush do the same thing for the conservative christian vote , go out on promise and campaign like a conservative when he obviously was not

I now believe that most people who are republican are simply misinformed and dont really follow the news or nothing ,but vote repblican jsut because their neighbours do or the 1200 year grandpa has always voted republican .

That is not the right way to cast a vote ,its not just a punchcard where you just nominate somebody , YOU need to CLEARLY know what the candidate stands for , look at the situation in the country and be honest about it ,which alot folks simply wont do .

Bush promised alot for Florida but now we got the shaft , the economy is down , the housing market is on of the worst in the country .

I live in the panhandle where it is very conservative around here and people are just misinformed .

The economy around here is way down , their are no jobs period .
    Are you telling me you are going to put a repubican in office right after bush's mess ,all you are going to get is the same mess from the bush years if you vote for Guilliani , Romney etc or Republican period .

November 17, 2007 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  9. mark wilkes barre pa

to mike panama city fl,, As I said before I am a conservative and I will not be voting for Rudy,, I feel that I do my best to be informed and learn about the people I wish to vote for as you claim to do also. If I wish to vote another republican into office after " THE LAST ONE " we had that is my one vote choice to do as an american. I live in an area of PA that is pretty much the same as you described with the exception that the democrats run everything and are in controll. Propery taxes are accessed on what seems like a yearly basis and are squeezing us all dry to fund progressive ideas that never pan out for the tax payer. I guess I'm trying to say its a matter of location and perspective on what makes a person think or vote a certain way. I'm sure thats what you meant to say in between all the lines of junk you just wrote

November 17, 2007 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. Elmer inTennessee

The world, and now the USA, is in a downhill spiral thats out of control. Face it, a higher power than mankind is needed now.
    Yes I know, the libs don't want to hear that.

November 17, 2007 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. BDOYLE Cape Coral FL

Vicki from Akron:

You got a great sense of humor. Even think of doing stand-up comedy?

November 17, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. Chris , Toledo, OH

Noone I know is even considering Guiliani.

November 17, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  13. Elmer in Tennessee

I guess I proved my point BDoyle, the libs don't want to hear it.
    Sodam and Gomorrah felt the same I would say.

November 17, 2007 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Nat, Brooklyn, NY

It is ironically that Rudy and Judy will possible run our country. New Yorkers hated their unification and their morals. After they move to White House all Americans will understand us. I don't need to say a lot about Rudy's performance as a Mayor: comparable to Mike Bloomberg's he is in negative zone.

November 17, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Nat, Brooklyn, NY

When I look in his eyes, I see a snake.

November 17, 2007 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. Reggie , Anaheim, Ca.

Rotten rudy is perfect for the gop!
    He's fake, phony, and greedy all
    the neat qualifications for their
    nomination! Wait I left out humble,
    arrogant, and stubborn aka stupid!

Try marrying your cousin as well
    to relate to the backwards Akron
    enablers! Being a Buckeye I know
    how troubling that is! Oh well theres
    one or two in every crowd!

Laughed when one guy wrote if rudy
    gets elected he's moving to another
    Country! Yeah good luck if asked
    just say Good Day I'm Canadian!
    Thanks to the gop and some dems
    we are incognito in once friendly
    lands! Greedy Rat Bastards!

November 18, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  17. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

He's seems electable, but has not been vetted by the press or his opponents yet. When the warts come out then lets talk.

November 18, 2007 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  18. Ann, Canada

What exactly are Rudy's qualifications to be President? His only claim to fame is he was Mayor on 9/11 and even then what he did was questionnable afterwards. He had 7 years to provide firefighters with radios that worked and he didn't. 343 firefighters died needlessly that terrible day because they couldn't hear the orders to evacuate. He goes against suggestions and places the command centre in the same place that was previously attacked because it was supposedly easy for him to walk to?? He said at the convention that he stood at ground zero and said supposedly "I thank God George Bush is President". There are new stories he was against expanding health care in New York until he himself was diagnosed with his cancer and then his ideas changed. He was a sitting member on a task force but never attended any of the meetings and then quit. He claims he was at ground zero more than the rescue workers. Emergency people are suffering with related illnesses from air quality that they were told was okay but wasn't. He made some awful quick decisions to boost Kerik up the ladder to success from seemingly obscurity and then push his name forward for head of Homeland Security. His beliefs are almost opposite to what republicans say they believe, until they started changing so he could appeal for votes from republicans. Sorry, but in my estimation he is the least qualified of all to be President and a bigger flip flopper than anyone.

November 18, 2007 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  19. Chris, Pensacola FL

Mike,Panama City,FL

I hear you and agree with you on Bush. But you can't hold all republicans responsible for Bush. Bush isn't a Republican, he is a Federalist – Communist. This doesn't mean that Rudy, Romney, Tancredo, McCain, and Paul are Republican. Paul is the only one I see that shows any slight hint of being a true Republican. Anyhow, there are many things going on in the system of politics that we don't understand. There are many circles that state democrats are pushed forward by the elite to raise the taxes from the republicans that were previously pushed forward by the elite to destroy other countries that didn't agree with them. It's all a game in the end.

November 18, 2007 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  20. Brad, Stockton, CA

Rudy has absolutely NOTHING to offer America other than use of the "911" metaphor. That always gets some kind of result. 911 happened, it is no longer an issue; we've paid off the family survivors, based on some kind of formula that calculated the life o fa stock broker as worth more than a waiter. Go home and retire Rudy, then move to Florida.

November 18, 2007 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Rae and D - California

Guilliani for President??? ...... I could've had a V8!!

Somebody PLEASE tell this man to quit........The only people not being honest this election are the runs running his campaign!!

January 6, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |