November 16th, 2007

The day after

CNN is moving its presidential debate production operation to Florida for the Republican CNN/YouTube debate.

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (CNN) - Last night, it was the center of the political universe. But today it’s back to normal.

CNN and the Nevada Democratic Party held their presidential debate last night at the Cox Pavilion on the campus of the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. Inside the pavilion a crowd of some two thousand watched the seven Democratic White House hopefuls spar as they answered questions from CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, Campbell Brown, John Roberts and audience members.

Today the inside of the pavilion is filled with workers breaking down the debate set. The set is being packed up and will be moved to St. Petersburg, Florida. That’s where CNN and YouTube will hold a Republican presidential debate on November 28.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: CNN/YouTube Debate • Nevada
  1. JS, Virginia

Sorry hate to pile on, but not such a good job last night from CNN. Maybe next time make the format a bit more simple, or maybe break the debate into 15 min tete a tetes letting the candidates pick their issue, but no one–not the candidates nor the people–is being well served by questions that wolf tried to wind up as soon as he asked them. I hope CNN takes this a lesson–something to grow from, I felt a bit cheated.

November 16, 2007 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. Michael, Houston, Tx

Pretty good job CNN.

Hillary came away looking great.
    Biden made some good points, too bad he does not have a chance.
    Richardson came off with one or two good points, but came away as soft with his unrealistic – human rights is more important than national security
    Obama slipped in some of his own mud, and fumbled the ball on some. He did make a few good points as well, but did nothing to distinguish himself.
    Edwards looked and sounded like a desperate man.
    Dodd did not make much noise
    Kuchinich was good comic relief

Hillary won this one... and needs to, she is the best candidate

November 16, 2007 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  3. John, Nahcotta, WA

I would like to know why the woman's question to Hillary Clinton about her choice between pearls and diamonds was allowed. In my opinion it made a worthless debate even worse.

I don't want to be a Republican so I think I'll just go ahead and switch from Democrat to Independant.

November 16, 2007 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  4. Tim Harding, Vestal, NY

What a joke. Days of criticism pointed at the Clinton campaign for seeding questions, and how does CNN end the debate last night? Not with a serious question for a supposedly serious candidate. No – CNN forces a serious college student to lob a totally bogus question at Clinton. Why not just take off the blinders guys - you no longer report the news... you're trying to make the news.

November 16, 2007 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  5. Christine, Atlanta, GA

I am still up in the air about who to vote for as are many Americans and I expected better of CNN after the debate. Instead of discussing all of the candidates it focused the first half an hour on Hillary and Obama. I do not except that they are the automatic front runners but that is what the mainstream media is pushing. I think the other candidates deserve equal time by the press. I listened to Joe Biden for the first time last night and was very impressed. I also like Bill Richardson but their names are hardly mentioned. Shame on the media for forcing their "front runner" options on the public. Let us decide.

November 16, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  6. Mike Dallas, TX

Why is this a news? Is this a distraction from the awful job CNN did moderating the debate?

November 16, 2007 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  7. fair,washington,dc

Thers a story on Fox right now saying the girl was prepared to ask a question to Hillary about Nuclear Waste but CNN told her not to because they had already covered the Nuclear topic...now I am a Hillary supporter and I always dismiss the rants on here about CNN being bias, but maybe there is something to these accusations..after the Hilary Lovefest after the debate and now this...still a suppoorter .but..hmmm

November 16, 2007 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  8. Mark Cigainero

Wolf Blitzer's softball pitching to Hillary was pathetic. What a suckjob that was

November 16, 2007 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  9. Timothy Williams Phoenix, Arizona

only 11 comments? whats wrong? did the Clinton News Network only get negative posts about last nights "debate" and decide not to post them? How can you even call yourselves a News Network? how rediculous!

November 17, 2007 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  10. rediculous Los Angeles, California

are they going to give the republicans the same soft ball questions?

November 17, 2007 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  11. Michael, Des Moines, IA

CNN did a horrible job hosting the debate in Las Vegas. I have never seen such an unorganized, poorly ran debate!!!
    Let a real news network host the next debate!!!

November 17, 2007 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  12. Chip Celina OH

I'm surpised not to see Biden in the picture at the top of the ticker helping clean the place up. He did such a great job mopping the floor during the debate, he'd have been a real asset during this exercise. The roadies could have definitely used his help/expertise in cleaning up the pile of bull$#!+ left around the podium in the middle of the stage.

Anyone that thinks Hillary's demeanor is "presidential" nedds to go take a management course at their local community college.

Have a good weekend!

November 17, 2007 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  13. Cindy, Los Angeles, CA

Worst debate ever. CNN should be ASHAMED! Blizter did a poor job in moderating the event, threw Hilary softball questions but give the rest of the candidates LOADED questions designed to entice boos from a STACKED audience of Clinton supporters and to top it off – DIAMONDS & PEARLS??!!?? Why not just cancel the political process, give Hilary a crown and call it a day.

If if couldn't get any worst, they stack the post-debate commentators with Clinton surrogates. I felt like I was watching a Clinton infomercial instead of an informative debate. Sigh... . I'm tired of the media shoving her down my throat. This is how we got stuck with Bush. Please....NO MORE BUSH/CLINTON/BUSH/CLINTONS. Think about it – 2 families running this country for 28 years!!!! We need a change. Look at the other candidates websites and don't rely on the media to get your information. They are NOT providing a service to us.

November 17, 2007 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  14. Brenda, Socorro, NM

I won't even question why CNN has elected to coddle Hillary and prop her up at every opportunity. But I would like to know why no one is asking Bill Richardson the driver's license question, considering New Mexico has been giving licenses to illegal aliens for years. (See excerpt below.) I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Richardson is auditioning for Vice-President. ????

By Barry Massey, The Associated Press, March 19, 2003

[....]
    "This is really an occasion for the immigrant community, an occasion of jubilation," Rep. Miguel Garcia, D-Albuquerque, said after Gov. Bill Richardson signed the driver's license measure [allowing invaders to get valid New Mexico driver's licenses] into law. The measure allows the Motor Vehicle Division to accept an Internal Revenue Service-issued individual tax-identification number instead of a Social Security number to get a license.

The law takes effect June 20. Supporters say the change will allow thousands of people who are ineligible for Social Security numbers – but who are living, working, raising their children and already driving in New Mexico – to be licensed and insured.

Garcia and other supporters said the law should make New Mexico roads safer because there will be fewer uninsured drivers."

November 17, 2007 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. dick russell boston,ma.

wolf&CNN were shilling for the Clinton's Carville, Gergon give me a break. Biden was the outstanding one on the stage! Biden needs IOWA AND AMERICA NEEDS BIDEN!!GO JOE!

November 17, 2007 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. James, Boston, MA

I am currently a Republican who is in desperate want for change. Joe Biden is a wonderful candidate who, along with everyone whose name is not Clinton, is being railroaded by corporate entities such as CNN. The debate was a media circus for Clinton with a hostile attitude towards all other candidates. I eagerly await the Republican debate to see how they are going to manipulate it. The after debate analysis focused on how great Hillary performed, in the opinion of CNN employees. To do a proper analysis for the purpose of highlighting ALL candidates views, each candidates performance should have been commented on, not relative to others, but on the merit of their contextual views with equal time. As it was, it turned into an hour of promotion of Hillary that she didn’t have to pay for. Wasn’t Colbert warned against turning his show into unpaid political agenda air time?

November 17, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  17. David Mackey, Portland, Oregon

Talk about a fairness doctrine! you guys are pathetic. You almost totally ignored Dennis Kucinec, asking the same old questions that were asked at the previous debate, and asking for a yes or no answer on complicated issues. you cut candidates off time and time again, and none of you had t enough insight and fortitude to ask any Significant Questions on the most serious issues we are facing as Citizens of this country: Global Warming,and the erosion of our liberties. The Impeachment Issue needed to be addressed, but Kucinec was literally shouted down when he tried to raise the issue. I thought I was going to be watching a debate not an amateur soft ball game.

November 17, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  18. Leonard Cohen

Wolfie, way to take the fall for Hillary. Obviously, her organization has intimidated you, too. Amazing that you are willing to stand up to the wicked Bush administration but quail before Saint Hillary.

November 17, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  19. LQ, Rochester MN

I watched most of the debate the other night b/c I too have not completely made up my mind. I have voted in every election since 1972, when I turned 18 and 18-year-olds were first allowed to vote. To me, this is the most important election I will have ever been a part of. I am so disgusted with what this administration has done to this country with its lies and deceit. I am terrified we will be in a war with Iran before the new administration begins. This election is just so important. I KNOW I will be voting Democrat, but I still have not decided.
    That debate did not help much at all. I was really disappointed in Wolf. He really seemed to favor Clinton, directing mostly soft questions to her, while the more complicated questions to the others, yet demanding yes/no answers. Being a woman, of course I would like to see a woman in the WH, but that is no reason to vote for Clinton. When she first ran for Senator from NY, and I heard all the talk about her eventually running for president in 2008, I couldn't understand it at all. Why would she be favored? I thought she was ok, but I also thought she was very polarizing and therefore would be easy for the republicans to beat. I began thinking it might be like back in 1972, when the republicans played dirty tricks to get McGovern as the nominee b/c he would be the easiest for Nixon to beat. I honestly still don't get why she is the front runner. I have been leaning towards Obama, I like the fact that he is not politics as usual, but I don't like the fact that he supports nuclear energy. Who I was impressed with – altho' it took what a half an hour before he was allowed to speak – was Joe Biden!! I have to admit that was one thing this debate did for me was to give me a serious look at Biden. Too bad he doesn't get any attention.
    Personally, I wish they just wouldn't publish all these polls. I've never been asked and probably never will since I don't usually answer my phone if i don't recognize the caller's number. I certainly wouldn't say I would vote for Clinton. I just don't feel she can be trusted. I was so sick of her saying "the American People know how I feel about..."; I'm afraid all these polls showing her to be the front-runner will keep people from voting for Biden or someone else.

November 17, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. Tom McCarthy, Puyallup WA

Once again CNN and Wolfe proved without a doubt they are scared to death of the Clintons with the way Hillary was allowed to escape with out a single hard question she couldn't even answer the softball question at the end with a straight response.

November 17, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. Colleen, Boston, MA

Hillary Clinton was not strong enough to divorce her husband when he cheated on her, why should I believe she would be strong enough to rule the country?!
    The last person I want young girls and America to look up to is Hillary Clinton.

When did the presidential election become more like a homecoming election, with popularity meaning everything. I was under the impression that the presidency was the most important job in the world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be hiring the canidate who is the most qualified? Biden is the only canidate I would trust with my future.

November 17, 2007 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. Wade Newborn, Colorado Springs, CO

This debate was semi-illuminating. However there were two key points that were not satisfactorily addressed by any of the candidates.
    1)Immigration – Should non-documented immigrants be issued driver's licenses?

First of all this is not a simple yes or no question. There are many details that need to be explained before a definitive answer can be given. I believe that Congressman Dennis Kucinich began to answer this in a proper manner when he took offense to the use of the term "Illegal Immigrants". However he was not allowed to complete his answer and, I for one would liked to have heard his complete response. Other candidates were allowed to elaborate on thier answer, however not one of their explainations or conclusions were correct. I will explain:
    We have to take into account our history and travel back to the time when there was no formal federal government in place in America. At that time what we now call Native Americans inhabited this continent. There was no formal process by which immigrants could "Legaly" enter and become citizens. So without a long history lesson, this nation is built on (non-documented) immigration and the processes by which anyone enters the country were also written, and are enforced by immigrants. Also the responsibility for getting non-documented immigrants on the path to, either citizenship or obtaining the proper documentation, should lie with those companies that employ these people. A comprehensive solution would include subsidies to those companies to partialy offset administrative costs.
    Bottom line immigrants should be allowed to obtain a driver's license once the process of obtaining citizenship or proper working documentation.

2)Social Security – Is Social Security going bankrupt?

Sen. Clinton stated that Social Security is solvent until 2035.
    Sen. Obama talked in a circle. And none of the other candidates added significant input.

Bottom line we have waited until this has become a crisis and still do not have any clue as to what we will do about the issue. Any successful candidate should have a definitave plan that will either support social security well into the 22nd century or a viable alternative solution that will be there for at least the next two full generations.

November 18, 2007 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  23. Aaron, Lynnwood, WA

I agree that attacking him for his religion is wrong. But free speach unamerican? Let me just add Romney to the list of candidates I'm affraid of. Let's have a constitutional president. Ron Paul 2008!

November 20, 2007 11:15 am at 11:15 am |