November 18th, 2007

Bill Clinton campaigns for the youth vote

Bill Clinton said it was important for young voters to remain engaged in the political process.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN)– ­ Before a crowd of young college democrats Friday, former President Bill Clinton encouraged young people to continue their engagement in the political process.

"That ought to be our mission. Your generation has more to expect in this than anyone else," Clinton said to a crowd of 20 some-things. "Because the 21st century is either going to be the most prosperous, peaceful, interesting time in human history– or one long set of nightmares. And it depends on what we do."

While Clinton spoke affectionately about his wife and presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton, he also told the crowd the New York Senator would be his top choice despite their relation.

"If we were not married, and she asked me to be here tonight, I would be here for her." Clinton continued by referencing CNN's Democratic debate "because I think as you saw last night, she has the strength, the experience, the ideas and the determination to change this country and to lead us together to reclaim the 21st century for you."

The former President also humorously discussed how outreach to young voters, a key voting block in his 1992 presidential bid, had changed dramatically since his time in the White House.

"When I took office there were only 50 sites on the World Wide Web," Clinton told a crowd of laughing twenty year olds who have grown up online-savvy.

"When I took office, the average weight of the cell phone was five pounds, now I can't even get my big hands on one. So we had to do really rudimentary things like go on MTV. It was unbelievable, young people gave the energy, the drive, the thrust to our campaign."

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

–CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire • Race to '08
  1. Chris, Pensacola FL

A Canadian,

Please stick to your countries politics. We have enough problems of our own without having you meddle in our affairs.

Your ageist attitudes against older people is against the law too. If we are to have hate crimes, it has to cover grandma and grandpa. I'd vote for an 18 year old prodigy or an 100 year old man before I'd vote for a baby boomer.

November 19, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  2. Kyle, Dallas, TX

Yeah, well, I already know this Bill. I'm a young Dem and I won't consider your wife for my vote. It is time to end this past 20 years of Bush/Clinton rule.

November 19, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  3. JJ Jacksonville, FL

Bill, you're a great guy and i did vote for you...but I'm not voting for Hillary just because she's your wife. A lot of the comments left on this ticker are right...First Lady is not a position you have to campaign, or even qualify for. So why should it have any substance in a presidential election?

November 19, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  4. S, Austin,TX

For those of you who like to bad mouth Bill Clinton, keep in mind he is merely campaigning for his wife just like Elizabeth, Michelle and all the other candidate’s wives do. But at least he has something to say and yes, people do like to hear him speak. It’s pretty stupid to compare the Clinton administration to the current and prior Bush administration. Maybe you all Clinton haters should Google (saves time) his presidency and get a quick lesson on the legislation and programs Clinton passed during his presidency instead of talking about something you know nothing about. You will probably find that you benefited from a few of the major legislation and programs that he signed during his presidency. And the controversies didn’t affect you. When it comes to Hillary it’s obvious you Clinton haters have never read about her life. If you had, you would know that her path in politics began before she met Bill. She has my support just like Bill did. But I’m not voting for her because of Bill, I’m voting for Hillary because she is not only a dynamic person; she is the most qualified and experienced candidate to lead this country out of the chaos created by Bush such as the 8.2 trillion debt. What was the deficit when Clinton took office – oh yeah, 290 billion? And you all want to compare that to the Clinton administration’s federal budget surplus in 2000.

Posted By S, Austin, Texas : November 19, 2007 3:28 pm

November 19, 2007 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. susan wesley, Merr, IN

Bill, I will stand for you and also Hillary, I will be her frind and I will also pray to get her the nomination. And I will vote for her.
    from Susan Wesley in Merrillville, IN