November 18th, 2007

Elizabeth Edwards asks voters to look past 'glass ceiling'

Elizabeth Edwards

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN)– ­ Just two days after the CNN debates in Las Vegas, Elizabeth Edwards encouraged voters to examine their choices in the presidential field and pick a candidate for reasons other than breaking the proverbial "glass ceiling."

"There are a lot of reasons, I think, to support a number of candidates in this race," Elizabeth told the crowd of New Hampshire democrats. "I think we have a lot of ceilings, glass ceilings, to break and I'm confidant that we will in the years to come."

While Elizabeth did not mention the New York Senator by name, her words spoke to her husband's campaign efforts to woo women voters, a key voting block, away from frontrunner, Hillary Clinton.

The New York senator has campaigned aggressively to win support among women voters and has called her presidential bid an opportunity to break the ultimate glass ceiling.

"America is ready for change ­ and I believe women will lead that change," Clinton says on her website. "It¹s up to us to do our part to take back the White House and change this country, and that¹s exactly what we¹re going to do. I say this nation can shatter the highest glass ceiling ­ because that¹s what Americans have been doing for over 200 years."

The Edwards camp has strengthened its women voter outreach in the Granite state. Last weekend, Edwards' daughter, Cate, campaigned with former President of NARAL Pro-Choice America, Kate Michelman, to launch New Hampshire Women for Edwards. In an exclusive interview with CNN, Michelman noted that the women's vote was still up for grabs.

"Women are not a monolithic vote," Michelman told CNN at a Feminist health clinic in Greenland. "Nor are all women going to vote just because we have a woman. We've worked very hard as a women's movement for many decades to get to the point where women are looked at wholly, not just as females, not through the lens of our gender."

Speaking on behalf of her husband Saturday, Elizabeth highlighted what the campaign has described as key "populist" themes: fighting against the influence of money in politics and serving as an advocate for the disenfranchised.

"Once we take the money of the powerful, how good an advocate are we for those people who depend on us to be their champion," Elizabeth questioned.

Said Elizabeth, "Right now we also have a really important ceiling to break and that is the influence in our lives of money," in regards to the influence of lobbyist money in politics. "Right now the ceiling on top of us is not glass, it's made of money. And we need to break it."

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

–CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

1. Lee

Just because Hillary Clinton is a women doesn't mean she is a women who cares about women. Hillary only cares about herself, and power, by becoming the President. Name one thing she has done for the women's movement, this was her era. She is a privledge women who went to Wellesley and law school and after taking the bar twice, finally past, the second time. She went to work for a big wealthy law firm, she obviously had no trouble getting in, during a time when few women were being hired for any type of job except for someone's secretary, then treated like crap and probably forced to leave because of sexual harrassment in the work place. Laws were past to help protect women, for shallow treatment in the work place, unfair pay, and fight goes on for equal pay for equal work, between men and women and black women and white women. Hillary has never stood up for women, only for herself. A women named Paula claimed to be sexually harrassed by her husband, during the time he was the governor. Did she have sympathy for this women, she is still married to this man. Again, she cares nothing about women and the issues they have, she is a phony, and it's about time other women see through her. Again she brings up her experience of 35 years when the only experience she has had in the government(excluding Senator) is being wife of President Clinton. People, don't make the mistake of voting for this women.

November 19, 2007 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  2. Ann ME

Hillary intends to change this country by making it a sister-country to Communist China.

November 19, 2007 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  3. James,

Dawn,

Please read my later post:

"Consider the statement "One of the reasons I won't vote for Hillary is because she is a woman." What would you have to say about that person? It is just as irrational and irresponsible as "One of the reasons I am voting for Hillary is because she is a woman."

Posted By James, Boston, MA : November 18, 2007 6:55 pm"

If your choice is that you believe that she is a strong leader, more power to you. However, by stating that a reason that you "think it's about time, America, whose population is half female, had a female president. (As do many men.)" You are using an irrational argument to make a critical descision.

If you are goint to use this argument, then base it on something more solid the a sexist ideal. I don't know why you are upset with having this pointed out.

November 19, 2007 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  4. Ryan Indianapolis

Oh God she is almost as bad as Kerry's big mouth wife...Elizabeth take your lil girly man husband with you and LEAVE....

November 19, 2007 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  5. James, Boston, MA

Dawn,

Sorry but I just realized something else. In you latest post you accuse me of leaving parts out to make you "appear to be a moronic prevaricator."

You accuse me and then do the same:
    "Wow. I guess you do have other reasons. Like your hero, you too can't stay with a single story. I guess it isn't your only reason, but this reason..."

The first, I conceede, is a backhanded comment. But I do recognize that you have other reason.

I am not a sexist. In fact, I am opposed to sexism, that is why I am posting this.

Do not accumse me of trying to make you look bad. I am only pointing out my observed flaws in people's judgment and arguments.

November 19, 2007 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  6. James, Boston, MA

Thank you, CNN, for the nice edit.

Dawn,

I tried to post that if you are basing a descion, even in part, on a sexist ideal than it is wrong. To run this country we need to see beyond these petty ideas.

Please read:

This is about HOW the nation will be run, not which bathroom the president will use. Gender has nothing to do with it, except for people who want to make a big deal out of it."

November 19, 2007 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  7. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

The latest USA Today Gallup Poll of all registered voters:

Clinton (52% favorable, 45% unfavorable, +7 pts)
    Obama (53% favorable, 30% unfavorable, +23 pts)
    Edwards (50% favorable, 31% unfavorable, +19 pts)

Gee, fellow democrats, which of these ones doesn't look like the others. Get a clue! Hillary is not electable in the general election. Not only will you Hillary supporters cost us the presidency, all of those Republicans that would stay home on voting day because of anger with their own party would now be energized to show up at the voting booth. You don't think that will cost Democrats in other positions at both a local and national level?

Edwards/Obama or Obama/Edwards '08

November 19, 2007 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  8. John, Euless, TX

Some of you may not LIKE Hillary but with our country in the condition that it is in now...it is time to elect someone that can do the job right..even though you may not LIKE them. Hillary is a very smart and passionate woman who will guide this country back in the right direction. You may not LIKE her but you can't deny that she is a very smart person with many smart people around her. Also, Hillary being the first female president in history will set an example for every person running for the same position from this point on in the future. She will do a great job as a smart and effective leader. I can see other world leaders wanting to listen to her and work with her. I don't see Edwards or Obama gaining the respect of other people around the world as much as Hillary could and would. That respect is very important since we still consider the President the Leader of the Free World. Bill is also a great asset to us and would do a great job in helping build healthy relationships with country's that have drifted from us in the last 7-8 years. So, you may not LIKE Hillary but she is the most likely to do what is right for America on a global level.

November 19, 2007 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  9. Joshua

Elizabeth Edwards is John Edwards biggest liability. She has no filter and is constantly contradicting herself. Elizabeth is constantly attacking the other Democratic candidates with a nasty tone that her husband would never use. It seems like she thinks people will take it from her because she has cancer and therefore people won't go after her.

People should research the candidates records from both parties on their own and then make an informed vote.

When candidates spend most of their time attacking the other candidates rather than discussing their own policies, you know they are sinking.

November 19, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  10. Frank Honolulu HI

How many years do you think you'll wait for a woman to be president again? If he wasn't your husband you'd vote for her, right?

November 19, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. Debi, Philadelphia, Pa

Of course Elizabeth took this topic. How could John approach it without insulting women who are more then qualified trying to get their fair share. And, Yes, the Presidency is the ultimate glass ceiling. I don't know if I like her less when she is doing her husbands dirty work or when she is just being out and out obnoxious. I will have to ponder this a bit.

November 19, 2007 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  12. Frank Honolulu HI

Again, book yourself on the view at the same time as Michelle, then we'll see some real fireworks.

November 19, 2007 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. susan wesley, merr, IN

Elizebeth needs to worry about her health, and foget about John in this race, he will never get my vote. Hillary will get my vote for sure and I will pray for her to get the chanch

November 27, 2007 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |