November 18th, 2007

Huckabee: I am only true conservative in race

Mike Huckabee maintains he is the true conservative in the GOP race.

(CNN)–Following a week when a leading pro-life organization endorsed his competitor, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee insisted he is the only true conservative in the GOP race for the White House.

"Well, I've never switched my positions, for one thing. I have a record that doesn't just talk about what I said I was for," Huckabee said in an interview on 'FOX News Sunday' reacting to the National Right to Life Committee's endorsement this week of former Tennessee senator Fred Thompson. "Fred's never had a 100 percent record on right to life in his
Senate career. The records reflect that. And he doesn't support the human life amendment which is most amazing because that's been a part of the Republican platform since 1980."

Thompson also hit the airwaves on Sunday and burnished his own conservative credentials on the abortion issue.

"All I know is that I've had a pro-life voting record my entire career on every conceivable issue that came up before us for almost a decade," Thomspon said on ABC's 'This Week.' "I have said that nothing would pass my desk that would promote or finance or fund abortion without my veto. But you've got to be within the realm of whatever the law is at the time. And if you don't think the law is correct, the best thing that a president can do is try to get judges who will follow the law and follow the Constitution instead of making it up as they go along."

Huckabee also disagreed with the notion that the endorsement raised doubts about his own electability. "My numbers are far better than his, especially in Iowa. So I think I'm pretty doggone electable." Recent polls have shown Huckabee on the rise in Iowa.

Huckabee also sought to draw a sharp contrast with Thompson, and fellow GOP hopeful, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, over Thompson's and McCain's talks of leaving the issues of abortion and gay rights up to individual states to decide.

"If morality is the point here, and if it's right or wrong, not just a political question, then you can't have 50 different versions of what's right and what's wrong," Huckabee said. "But for those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right."

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Iowa • Mike Huckabee • Race to '08
  1. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

To James of Boston:

"Scientist" is part of my job description too.

You're right: "The question of when does life begin is not easy," But that doesn't mean you get to make up the answers. Just because you're forced to conclude "I don't know the answer." doesn't mean you're allowed to subsequently assert "...therefor there must be a god." The correct reaction to "I don't know" is "I'll try to find out," not to simply give up, stop thinking, and fall back on a supernatural crutch.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't know." But it's intellectual cowardice to go on to say "I cannot know,"

November 18, 2007 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. Liberal Chic

If Huckabee runs against Al Sharpton, I'll vote for Huckabee...

Posted By KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT :

Ha, ha, ha. That's a good one.

Huckabee might be the slime ball behind the Romney anti-Moron phone calls. He's behind hopelessly everywhere but maybe in Iowa he figures he has some hope. It's morally repugnant.

November 18, 2007 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  3. r.e. lowe allons, tn

mike kuckabee your kike all republicans conservative you want a pass-key to the white house and pro-life &tax cuts you think will get you there no thanks the president we have now said he had strong conviction & principles morals value bull s-it g.w bush same old same old .

November 18, 2007 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. John Thomas, Edina, MN

HAHA Good one, Huckleberry!

The answers to Mike's absurdities are here: http://www.taxhikemike.org

November 19, 2007 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  5. Dale Davis, Glendora, California

Huh! Nice guy. But he's obviously the Great Evangelical Hope.
    It's amusing to see the quick knee-jerk acceptance of this candidate amongst the conservative Protestants.
    Would it be fair to insist that he also pass a litmus test from the Mormon voters in Utah that he won't be running for Pastor in Chief, like Dr. Richard Land of the Baptist Convention is suggesting to the Mormon candidate? Fair is fair, right? Or is it?

November 19, 2007 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  6. mark wilkes barre pa

' posted by don't vote for hate " ,,,,,,, Is'nt that the vey message your leaving here ????? destroying peace ? destroying human rights ?our reputation around the world ? sounds like hate comments to me,,,, If you would have left it at over spending and budget problems you might have been on to somthing non hate filled

November 19, 2007 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  7. Chris, Pensacola FL

JW,

I can dig you because you're from OK, but conservative has many flavors. Any idea or theory that relates to "how things used to be" can be a conservative idea. Being conservative doesn't mean what you think it does. We all have Libertarian ideals. However, Ron Paul IS conservative by the very critera "conservatives" set. He is Christian, been married to the same gal for over 50 years, wants a return to the old money standards, would like a return to personal responsibility. Just because he's not a "newer conservative" doesn't mean the majority of his values are not. Peace out okie.

November 19, 2007 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  8. Rich from the great man of Christ

"We Christians have always made up the majority of the population, and yet in the last few decades we have seen liberals and secularists assault the Judeo-Christian values that made this nation great" Brad TX

Brad I don't know what your definition of 'Christian' is but if you think it's the majority of America then I'm not so sure you're a Christian yourself. There's a difference between calling yourself a Christian and following Christ. If you look at the Barna Polls (a true Christian poll) you'll find that 70-80 percent of people call themselves Christian but when they answer more specific questions about Christ, born-again, and time spent in the Bible, that number dwindles to less than 25%.

Let go of your foolish Christian pride and stop projecting religion over 'Christ like' transformation. Nothing against the people here on this blog but based on many blogs I've read, there's no way your percentages pan out.

Christian in name only is not a Christian, too many people like yourself should know the difference.

November 19, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  9. Mary, Beaver, PA

"I'm pro-life, I'm pro-life, vote for me, blah, blah, blah!"

Being "pro-life" does not make you a conservative, and being a Johnny-one-note in front of a Johnny-one-note organization dosn't make you one, either.

A true conservative honors the roots of this Republic: the Constitution and individual liberty.

Now, does this clown honor the Constitution and individual liberty?

There is ONLY ONE true conservative running in this race, and that's Ron Paul!

November 19, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. Chris, Pensacola FL

Amen Rich, I agree with you 100%!

You know, many Russians considered themselves Christian all throughout the 20th century. Though they couldn't profess it in public, they claimed it.

If I could only get my church to get rid of that Israel flag and tell the pastor to stick with Jesus and not to worry about the "freedom fight" life would be good. What's the deal with Churches having Israel flags in them anyhow? We should support them in times of need, but I don't know about having their flag? That's rather strange.

November 19, 2007 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. Tim Kelley

I Like Mike- Jonathan Alter's article in Newsweek on Nov. 15th calls him the GOP's best bet. He has beaten the Clinton's political machine 3 times in Arkansas in a heavily Democratic state. The fact that he doesn't have big Money supporting him makes me like him even more. The opther GOP candidates come across as old and tired and to connected to the Bush Presidency which is not a plus. Mike is fresh, funny, genuine and right on all of the issues. About time we had a principled populist President that happens to be a Republican from Hope.(Did I mention he has more executive experience than any other candidate running) Go governor Huck!!!!!!!!!

November 19, 2007 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Aaron, Indiana

"Moronic right to life people. It’s only a matter of time before your antiquated, pre-enlightenment period notions of souls, ghost and supernatural phenomenon fall by the way side. You don’t believe in evolution, you think embryos have feeling and souls, and consider intelligent design a scientific theory; we don’t need such mentalities running this country. I'm so sick of christians imposing their values on this culture. I think those who oppose stem cell research should not be allowed to benefit from all the other advances allowed by science. I mean, why should we tamper with gods creations to begin with? If you get a deadly virus, don’t treat it, let god decide your fate. Or, you could just carry on, picking and choosing your beliefs from the bible as you see fit. There is no end to the inconsistency, intellectual dishonesty, and rationalizations among some of these faith heads.

Posted By Don, Columbus, OH : November 18, 2007 2:11 pm"

That was probably the most idiodic post I have ever read. First off, the supernatural will never fall by the way side. Secondly, who said Christians don't believe in evolution? Are you that ignorant in thinking only secularist can claim that? Christians don't believe in inter-species evolution you truth hater. We know things adapt. And Christians imposing our values? Isn't that a bit hypocritical? I'm pretty sure you are trying to impose your will on us by making this more of an athieistic country. And Christians shouldn't get the benefits from science because we don't believe in stem cell research? Can you explain what stem cell research has to do with a deadly virus, or for that matter the technological advances of science? That's like saying no one should benefit from another states road because we didn't pay that state tax. You ignorant fool...grow up, read a book and get intellectualy honest.

November 19, 2007 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  13. Liberal Chic

Aaron, Indiana :

What is inter-species evolution? You need to go back to high school biology.

If you are so bent against stem cell and you believe viral infections can never benefit from stem cell research (about which you are wrong), then maybe we can carve out "scientific benefit" for viral infections but not alzheimers, heart disease, spinal cord injuries, diabetes, etc. for you and your pals.

Stop calling other people fools.

November 19, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. James, Boston, MA

Henry Miller,

I do not believe I ever said I gave up. I agree it is perfectly ok to say that someone doesn't know. That is science.

Life can be a spiritual question as well as a scientific question, and they can be completely separated or very much combined. By definition religion is based on faith, not knowing. Until you know the answer why can't you believe in something? As long as your faith does not stand in the way of intellectual discovery there is no harm. Faith is there to give people comfort in times of need. Science is there for intellectual purposes and to improve the quality of life.

You seem to sound as if being a scientist means you MUST be an atheist, which I believe is just cowardice to not stand up to a belief in things that are not hard facts in your face.

Science can be a religion as well. I am PhD bio-physicist by the way, and a lot of my colleagues believe that nearly all answers can be found in equations. At the higher end of theoretical physics the theories are untestable. What makes that any different than religion?

November 19, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. David, Oregon City, Oregon

On November 18, 2007, Chris Wallace play his “Perception is reality card” insinuating (or reporting) Governor Huckabee was not a fiscal conservative or honest person.

Liberals use this same tactical approach to create perceived problems, only to provide the perfect government solutions from reducing personal wealth or rights.

To the political Ivory Tower Crowd; Free thinking Americans believe “Perception is not reality until verified!”

November 19, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  16. Shelley Watkins/ Charles City, Iowa

Prolife means to support life from within the womb of the mother, the delivery and the life of that child. Soon that child becomes an adult and I don't want my children to be involved in wars overseas because of greed of our leaders, and because our economy is the worst in the world of superpowers. Being prolife also entails to support the lives of other nations populations, we don't have any right to kill innocent people in other lands over frivolous issues of greed and world domination. Our world leaders need to be more like the leaders of old, when Kings and their court leaders would lead their troops into battle. Once our world leaders are literally on the frontline of battle, then perhaps the issue of war would really be important. I bet there would be less of them, however.

December 2, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |