November 19th, 2007

Presidential candidate's wife to host 'The View'

Mrs. Obama will be joining the popular talk show next month.

NEW YORK (CNN) - Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, will be a guest host on the television talk show "The View" next month.

Mrs. Obama will co-host the hour-long show on December 5th in New York, press secretary Katie McCormick confirmed to CNN Monday

The program’s regular panel includes: Barbara Walters, Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, and Sherri Shepherd.

– CNN Political Assignment Editor Katy Byron

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Andrew, Chicago, Illinois

Michelle Obama is not running for President, so I fail to see why anybody thinks that this would violate FEC laws.

November 19, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Kelly, Plano, Texas

Good......I'll make sure that I tune in. I like her alot she's very intellegent and smart and she would make good role model as our next First Lady.

November 19, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Lynn Reno Nevada

Now wait a minute, this is just one show and I am sure that Hillary Clinton has already been a guest on this show. So why can't Micelle? I don't know what people are talking about here about FEC rules. Clinton goes on many of these shows. They all do. There is no problem here.

November 19, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  4. Dave, Cheverly, MD

This is a VERY good move on Michelle Obama part. It will give American women a chance to get to know more about her and her husband. Media praised Hillary when she was on the View.
    Why is it that when the Obama’s get a good media venue/support such as Oprah or the View. The Media says it is some how a big deal. Well it is, “IT”S A GREAT BIG DEAL” it helps balance out that negative press the Media dishes out on a daily bases.

November 19, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. First in the Nation Voter, Concord, NH

I think this is the height of inappropriateness. It speaks to Barrack Obama's political immaturity that he and his wife would even consider such a ploy. For Michele Obama to be a guest is one thing. To host is completely over the top.

November 19, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. pat huntington ny

I'll make sure I've eaten breakfast long before this witch gets on TV that morning...or else I lose my appetite for the rest of the day! She's nasty!

November 19, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. Lisa, Alexandria, VA

I am thrilled! Finally, we have another black woman of Star Jones' quality hosting The View. I will watch the show everyday as long as Michelle is a host. She is sharp, polished, and an eloquent speaker, and I think she will bring an air of decorum and seriousness to the show (sorry Whoopie and Behar clowns). Michelle is such a sophisticated woman who will SHINE and the audience will love her!

November 19, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. Nancy, Mt. Pleasant, TX

If The View asked one candidate's spouse to host...all should have that opportunity.

Personally, The View is stepping from the entertainment venue into paths that they (as enertainment 'hosts'...not qualified political analysist...) shoud steer clear of.

A panel of outspoken, fast talking women are not an influence. They are simply entertaining to watch as they make fools of themselves.

With that being said, to invite one candidate's spouse without inviting all to do the same is unfair.

In this tender political time should others not accept the invitation, then Mrs. Obama, out of courtesy should recluse herself. Though, in her apparent insecurity with her own self one can sense that she would not.

The View is going to continue its controversial stance until it will be so non supported that even reruns will be surfed by.

November 19, 2007 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. A. Harrison, Atlanta, GA

After the "glass ceiling" comment in Nevada, the wives are on the attack! LOL maybe..lol

November 19, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. Rod, South Carolina

I've heard her speak before and although I don't watch the view this is interesting and would drive me to watch.
    As many have said Mrs Obama is not running for president but instead of having a First husband in the white house I certainly would like to see what she has to say. HAHA equal billing is hilarious when you consider that means they have to invite Bill Clinton on as the potential First Husband... hahahaha

November 19, 2007 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Samuel, Lincoln, NE

Michelle Obama's guest hosting stint on "The View" doesn't violate any FEC rules. Those apply to candidates, not candidates' spouses.

Curiously, I wonder if those same individuals who have been complaining about Ms. Obama have forgotten about episodes of Law and Order featuring Fred Thompson? The FEC rules DO apply there...but TNT has said it plans to air them anyway.

November 19, 2007 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  12. Dan, TX

Michele Obama should be allowed to start her campaign, after all, between husbands and wives we can now have four terms in office for presidential couples, right?

I think Hillary is setting a good precedent to get around the two term limit for presidents. Michelle will have two terms as first lady so she will have the experience she needs to be president. Plus, she is married to Barack, so that gives her all the experience so we'll get two-for-one, right? After all, 16 years of one couple (8 for husband, 8 for wife), is that really too much influence on America?

November 19, 2007 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. Evelyn, Washington, DC

For all those who can't quite get it... Hiliary is a U.S. Senator running for President... quite a different story for Michelle Obama. I liked the comment re "Faux News," however, THE VIEW, is not a serious show. Personally, as a Independent, I do think it will be good for mainstream America to get a good, up-close look at Mrs. Obama, because she is by no means someone who I would want to represent our country. She is LOUD and aggressive, not in the least diplomatic. She comes across to many as narrow minded and with an agenda that is not in line with much of this country. There are plenty of intelligent and attractive people out there... who do not make good leaders. She is one.

November 19, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  14. Paisley, Cincinnati, OH

Geez, someone better tell Hasselbeck so she can find some appropriate conservative, Republican misinformation to spout! It should be fun to watch Michelle, an intelligent, vibrant, and articulate woman, verbally spar with the often misinformed, rhetoric spouting Elisabeth. tee-hee

November 19, 2007 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  15. Cory, Pennsylvania

Posted By First in the Nation Voter, Concord, NH : November 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Ummm, she's a GUEST host, so it doesn't matter. I think this is great, and I'm sure there will be very little conversations about her husband. The Obama family would be perfect for this nation.

November 19, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  16. Joe, Vermont

Hillary has Bill spouting all over the place, so why not Michelle. Add Jill Biden, Elizabeth Edwards and all the other candidate's partners or spouses if they choose.

I'll watch it via Tivo.

November 19, 2007 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Stephen, Pembroke Pines, FL

Ageed, This is good, NOW the Network has to give EVERY candidates equal time or violation of FEC laws, rules and regulations?

November 19, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. John New York, NY

To Rachel from NC-

People are comparing Hillary to Michelle because Mrs. Clinton was first lady for eight years, and Michelle is a potential first lady.

I watched the Iowa Democratic party dinner on C-Span last week, and I noticed that Mrs. Clinton and Mrs. Obama chatted with each other for a few minutes afterwards. They must have been having a cordial discussion of balancing the roles of being a working mother and candidate's wife- something they can both relate to.

November 19, 2007 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Carl, Dallas, TX

CNN has people in charge of picking the worst photos possible to put up for every person.... it's hilarious to me.

November 19, 2007 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Greg, San Francisco, CA

I'm not an Obama fan, but as long as she steers away from all political talk, then okay. But if it's being used for political purposes, then this is in just as poor taste as the SNL skit that called fellow senators crazy, witches and included human waste products.

November 19, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  21. Amy, NY NY

sure sign of desparation....

November 19, 2007 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. Patricia,Aurora, Il

Mrs. Obama won't be on The View with Elisabeth becase Elisabeth will be out on maternity leave till January. Obama is guest hosting in Elisabeth's spot. Michelle will do a great job because, no matter what party you are for, she is a smart, articulate woman!

November 19, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  23. Dan, Saint Louis, MO

The media pandering to this whole Obama sham is just sickening. Why don't the heads of all the major media outlets come out and say they're endorsing Obama?

November 19, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. Anonymous

She will rock the view with her unique point of view. She's amazing!!!!

Obama is rising.

November 19, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  25. Tricia Charlottetown PEI

The View's Ratings have dropped since Rosie's Stint. Whoopi's sexual remarks has taken the View's ratings lower.

Why would Michelle want to be involved with a Program whose ratings have been dropping steadily during the last six to eight months? I mean for Whoopi and Barbra to state they would like to DO Pelosi's Husband on daytime televison !!! I don't think this is the crowd a Candidate's wife wants to cozy up to.

If Michelle's stint on the view achieves positive feed back it might boost Barack's poll ratings slightly BUT if Michelle doesn't appeal to the audience – Barack's ratings will hit the cellar! So I can think of much better ways to assist your Husband in winning the Presidency!

Let's hope for Edwards that Elizabeth doesn't follow suit. Oh, on second thought, even if Elizabeth did follow suit, John's ratings couldn't do better or worse. He's already discredited himself to the point of no return.

Can this race get any more comical??

November 19, 2007 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |