November 19th, 2007

Thompson: help pay for my TV ads

Thompson is running two of his his ads in Iowa and one in South Carolina.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - In a fundraising e-mail blast sent out Monday morning, Fred Thompson's presidential campaign asked supporters for help in getting more TV ads on the air in two key early states.

Thompson's ad "No Amnesty" is on the air in Iowa and "Consistent Conservative" is running in both Iowa and South Carolina. Thompson says in the e-mail: "To build even more momentum though, I'm going to need the resources to further get my message out."

The email says Thompson needs more money to stay on TV in Iowa and South Carolina, two states with conservative voting blocs crucial to Thompson's bid.

However, Thompson's e-mail pitch is more straightforward than most: he asks supporters to cover the cost of an entire 30-second ad, and outlines just how much the campaign says those ads will cost in different media markets.

"You can pay for a 30-second ad for my campaign in Sioux City, Iowa simply by contributing $70 to my campaign, and $250 will buy an ad in Greenville, South Carolina," the e-mail reads.

"If you and your friends and family can combine to give $850 to my campaign, I can buy a prime-time advertisement in Charleston, South Carolina."

The e-mail makes no mention of New Hampshire, where Thompson is not running ads and has struggled to gain traction in the polls. On ABC this weekend, Thompson acknowledged, "I don't know what the situation is going to be in New Hampshire. I haven't done as well there."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Iowa • New Hampshire • South Carolina
  1. J.Crobuzon

I heard, but can't affirm, that Thompson has a cash-flow problem because it never occurred to him that his royalties from Law and Order would dry up once it went off the air. Nice management skills if it's true.

November 19, 2007 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Nancy, Salt Lake City Utah

What a snore Fred is! If you want Bush II, then vote for anyone in the Republican field - same old tired ideas, tired partisanship, and tired visions....God save us from the Gay Old Party!

November 19, 2007 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. brenda,boston,ma

Hahahahahaha Thompson. I like you as a person but I think I liked you when you were at the law and order. Right now all what I see is an old Man who is trying to plead with me to help him become a president.....mmmmmh how about you use the money you got from your acting. I don't think Romney is pleading for any money and you are as rich as he is.....

November 19, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. Fred Thompson, Greenville SC

If you can pay just $70 I can rent my red pickup truck for 2 days to campaign in South Carolina where people are easily tricked into thinking I'm a redneck rather than an opportunistic Hollywod millionaire.

If you and your frieds can raise $850 you can provide me with enough adult diapers to last through the general election.

November 19, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  5. Jos/Memphis, TN

Why don't the good ole Fred get a job. Furthermore, the campaigners waste so much money until it is sickening.

November 19, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  6. Chuck Jax,FL

At least Mr. Thompson is honest and forthright and doesn't charge the American taxpayer $25,000 to do a speech on poverty.

November 19, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. crabfat, fenwick island, de

I meant to say save "your" money! Why would anyone waste their money on this candidate or any other Repbublican!

November 19, 2007 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. Brett, Miami FL

Pay for your own ads, you tired, lazy, old loon

November 19, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  9. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

This guy's all for wasting a trillion taxpayer dollars, including a few thousand confiscated from me by the IRS, on a pointless war in Iraq, and he has the nerve to ask for more?

Yeah, right, Fred.

November 19, 2007 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Samuel, Lincoln, NE

Poor Fred! Why don't you get ask those right wing religious nutjobs like Pat Robertson and his followers if they'll give you the money? It's the least they can do after all that

Oh, that's right...they're supporting Giuliani! Too bad...so sad!

November 19, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  11. dubious

uh, total copy of romney.

November 19, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. Dan, Lancaster, SC

Romney would run circles around Fred Thompson. In fact, he could do it blindfolded. They are not even in the same league. Please !!!

November 19, 2007 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. Mike,panama city, fl

Fred ,fred ,fred where to start , I think his campaign is pretty much death .
    No media coverage , at first everybody thought he was gonna come in and sweep the gop canditates of their feet ./ That did not happen ,he got in to late , he is campaigning with no media attention ,does his own thing , is to lazy and demanding , their is just no chance for him .

November 19, 2007 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. LQ, ROCHESTER, MN

I never did understand all that HYPE before he formally announced he was running.
    NOW he runs out of money already!! Yeah, where's all the money from L&O and his movies?

November 19, 2007 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  15. laurinda,ny

I had to look real close because at first glance it looked like a drunken man sitting on a barstool with a little girl next to him. Very bad photo, why anyone would publish that is beyond me.

November 19, 2007 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  16. shawn smith kansas city, mo

that would probably be one of the ugliest presidents we would ever have to bare. not only one of the most conservative, closed minded, in other words, the generic bush regime.

November 19, 2007 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  17. Frank Honolulu HI

Oh yeah, he'd make a great president. He's late, he's dumb and he's not all that good and actor. Republicans unite and get Fred in before he keels over.

You republicans really thought he was going to save you.

You're idiots.

November 19, 2007 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  18. Trollmaster, CA

Is the guy that ran John Kerry's campaign working for Thompson now? He's doing so bad one has to be reminded he's running for president.

November 19, 2007 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  19. Mrs. America

He should have been thinking about how he would finance his campaign back when he was teasing people about whether he would run or not. Seems to be doing things a little bass-ackwards. I can imagine him trying to figure social security out or how to handle a trilion dollar deficit.

November 19, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  20. Darrel Lone Rock Iowa

Yes I did give Fred 100$ because i thought he was the man. He does stand for what I believe in but just don't have the push behind him. I since turned into a Huckabee fan. Seems fred for got something/ maybe got in to late and when he did the effort was like give me more money so I can continue? Well I am kind of swept under the rug with him as with my contribution I still can't call or email him with my concerns. Seem to get in contact with him is something he don't want. His Web site has no email address or fax # or Phone # to call. Damm Strange I Would Say!!!
    Huckabee for 08 is my choise for now
    Independant Voter from Iowa

November 19, 2007 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  21. c

Sorry, I can't afford to donate to a political campaign... I'm trying to save for Hillary's tax increases.

November 19, 2007 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. colony14author, Mount Prospect, Illinois

Sorry, I can't afford to contribute to a political campaign right now... I'm trying to save for Hillary's tax increases.

November 19, 2007 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  23. brian

On one hand, you got to give him points for honesty. But them you have to take them away again for the creepy feeling the request gives you. It reminds me of a local minister who had the unmitigated *BALLS* (sorry, but that's the best word for it) to tell his parishioners it was their duty to $x-thousand per each family, taking out a second mortgage if necessary, and donate the funds to the church so they could expand the affiliated school's gym. No classrooms or new equipment, just the gym.

At least Thompson's extortion is a little more soft-core.

November 20, 2007 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  24. Ann, Canada

Is it true that I think I read somewhere that Thompson left the Senate because it was hard work? He appears to have done better before he was a candidate than he is doing now. I also read today that several of his backers are a little sorry now they said they would endorse him because he doesn't seem too energetic to get out there and campaign. Perhaps with this next video he is doing that he is really showing that after all is said and done he would prefer to be back in front of the cameras with Law and Order?

November 20, 2007 12:30 am at 12:30 am |