November 19th, 2007

Thompson: help pay for my TV ads

Thompson is running two of his his ads in Iowa and one in South Carolina.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - In a fundraising e-mail blast sent out Monday morning, Fred Thompson's presidential campaign asked supporters for help in getting more TV ads on the air in two key early states.

Thompson's ad "No Amnesty" is on the air in Iowa and "Consistent Conservative" is running in both Iowa and South Carolina. Thompson says in the e-mail: "To build even more momentum though, I'm going to need the resources to further get my message out."

The email says Thompson needs more money to stay on TV in Iowa and South Carolina, two states with conservative voting blocs crucial to Thompson's bid.

However, Thompson's e-mail pitch is more straightforward than most: he asks supporters to cover the cost of an entire 30-second ad, and outlines just how much the campaign says those ads will cost in different media markets.

"You can pay for a 30-second ad for my campaign in Sioux City, Iowa simply by contributing $70 to my campaign, and $250 will buy an ad in Greenville, South Carolina," the e-mail reads.

"If you and your friends and family can combine to give $850 to my campaign, I can buy a prime-time advertisement in Charleston, South Carolina."

The e-mail makes no mention of New Hampshire, where Thompson is not running ads and has struggled to gain traction in the polls. On ABC this weekend, Thompson acknowledged, "I don't know what the situation is going to be in New Hampshire. I haven't done as well there."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Iowa • New Hampshire • South Carolina
  1. jt, okc

Fred Thompson is toast.

How come the political ticker isn't covering Gov. Huckabee's introductory Ad. That is sparking a lot of hits on youtube. Very clever ad!

November 19, 2007 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. Gary, Darlington, SC

Find someone else to pay for it you CFR cronie.

November 19, 2007 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. MG Seattle, WA

Huckabee is a hit on youtube? Puh-lease! Ron Paul owns youtube!

November 19, 2007 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Thompson might be a good candidate for the presidency but his photo ops sure don't help him.

November 19, 2007 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. Bryan, Firestone, CO

Yo Fred, just a few days ago you were criticizing Gov Romney as he bought TV ads, saying, "Governor, you can't buy South Carolina". Interestingly, now this is your strategy. It's not OK for Romney to buy TV ads to share his message, but it's OK for you? Someone needs to get a clue about how to get your message out. You're just now realizing that you need cash to get your message across. You're a few cards short of a full deck, Fred. Hang it up already and go take a nap.Br

November 19, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Sad. . .

"I'm not sure what I'm doing and don't really have a clue about how to be elected, but if you send me some money, I can be on TV!"

November 19, 2007 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. tom rogers, woodtock, new york

i wouldnt vote for that redneck dinasaur if you paid me. how could anyone even think about voting republican except ron paul) after what bush and company has done to our armed forces and reputation with thier arrogant,lie based pointless occupation of irak. chalk it up media brainwashing i guess. how d you like that soldiers face that cant get the va to cooperate.its all a sickning dangerous foolhardy mistake bringing democracy to irak. we are supposed to be eliminating al queda not depleating all our strenth listening to these delusional jesus freaks..tragically, tom rogers (catholic)its getting late. start telling the truth......

November 19, 2007 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  8. Joe, Nashville TN

I doubt he'll get the same kind of response as Ron Paul, who raised over 4 million dollars from individual contributions in just one day, the record for all 2008 Republican candidates. Watch him only get 4 contributions of $2300 each and make headlines. {Yawn}

November 19, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. Victor, Minneapolis, MN

first, can i get a round of applause?

thanks.

second, can i get financial donations?

(meanwhile across the country Ron Paul supporters are organizing fundraisers without being asked, and dropping millions into Paul's tv budget)

November 19, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. Bubba, Kernersville NC

I lik fred thompson becuz he supports the NAU and amero, and will disembowell all the terrorrists wunce and 4 all!

November 19, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  11. Al Indianapolis IN

So Thompson calls himself a "consistent conservative?" Republicans should be running from the "conservative" label as they have forced Democrats to run from the "Liberal" label. During the course of the past 20 years the label "conservative" has become synonomous with right-wing radicalism and the most extreme form of politics seen in this country since the Civil War! Conservative? No thank you!

November 19, 2007 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Keith, GA

He's been an offical candidate only since September... 2 months and he's running out of steam? And I thought McCain had $ issues

November 19, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. Ty Beron, Tampa FL

I just love when multi millionaires ask the average citizen for money so they can be president and then not give a squat about us.

November 19, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Nick

Ron Paul can have all the money in the world, and yet he still barely even registers in the polls. Look at Romney, he's loaded, and yet poor ol Mike Huckabee is challenging him in Iowa.
    Money is not going to buy you the new president, so quit waisting it on Ron Paul. At least Mike Huckabee spends it efficiently, so donate to Huckabee insted of Paul!

November 19, 2007 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Carmen, Houston, Tx

John Edwards is doing the same thing. I got an email asking me to contribute to fund an ad to run in Washington...the subject matter was, however, too secret to reveal before I sent in any money. I'm sure you can guess my response!

November 19, 2007 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. Diane

After seeing how much Thompson has been kissing up to the "right-to-lifers", he can forget it. The right-to-life gave us the compassionate president that we have now, you know, the one who's killed hundreds of thousands, left tens of thousands of soldiers maimed, and advocates torture. I do hope they don't vote in the next election–instead hide in shame. Thompson would be Bush II.

November 19, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Shawnie - Grants Pass, OR

Are you kidding? No thanks!

November 19, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  18. Joe Ossai, Bedford, NH

Old man spare us and go to sleep.

November 19, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Isn't this the same guy whose campaign made a sizeable donation to some conservative Christian Group for an endorsement that Mitt Romney was supposed to get?

Geez, if Fred can't run his campaign in a fiscally responsible way, how can we trust him to run the country's economy? What is he going to do as president, ask for donations from the Saudis, Kuwaitis, Chinese etc.? I can hear President Thompson now, "A $100 billion donation will allow your flag to appear in a semi-prominent spot on the Presidential Lecturn; $300 billion will get your flag on the Presidential Limosine; for a mere $800 billion your country's flag will be painted on Air Force One!"

It is time for us to pull the plug on Fred Thompson's campaign and let him go back to TV. Then we can deal with him via the remote control buttons "Off" and "Mute."

November 19, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. A voter for Ron Paul

Many conservatives are so used to having Religious Preachers ask them for money that it may not seem shameful for a politician to do so. It's all rediculous to me.

November 19, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. FredSucks

I would only give the talking corpse Fred Thompson money if he would promise to stay OFF television.

November 19, 2007 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  22. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

It appears Fred is actually saying, " I'm tired now, I think I'll go home now",. Goodbye Fred Thompson, You're toasted.

November 19, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. nquotes

Give the man a shot...get him hon television so he can give the GOP an alternative to the other wanna be conservative candidates... http://www.enewsreference.com

November 19, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  24. phil margate fla.

can't support a person that advocates taking away peoples freedoms to placate some religious zealots ..why not recall the # of women that lost thier lives when there was no choice .
    that is the same senario that will happen if anti freedom of choice happens

November 19, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  25. Faiza, Los Angeles, CA

Wow what a waste of a candidacy, I mean it's been just hot air the entire time, you know it's just time for him to throw in the towel. He really doesn't have a chance. Actually, he never had a chance.

November 19, 2007 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |